Thread: Does the 17 game schedule need an extra bye week?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Does the 17 game schedule need an extra bye week?

The TV networks would love this, but do we need an extra bye week?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Does the 17 game schedule need an extra bye week?

Has not yet been determined but my guess is that will happen to give the networks 19 weeks of regular season programming rather than the current 17 weeks of games with 1 bye week - more weeks of programming = more $$$ for broadcast rights

Roger of course will say the additional bye week is because it is always about player safety first and foremost, with the second bye week to allow more rest and recovery time during the regular season

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

No, they tried two bye weeks before and everybody hated it. 17 games is really not much more than 16, and that's what the expanded roster was supposed to be for.

Of course, I could see it happening anyway out of greed, for the extra week of TV programming that was mentioned.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

NO. And cutting preseason is stupid too. It takes 2-3 weeks of regular season for all the player's of all the teams to get on the same page. If anything I'd add 1 or 2 preseason games for the player's to get their shit together. That's way every game is a must win.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    NO. And cutting preseason is stupid too. It takes 2-3 weeks of regular season for all the player's of all the teams to get on the same page. If anything I'd add 1 or 2 preseason games for the player's to get their shit together. That's way every game is a must win.
    Why? Most players don't play the fourth preseason game anyway. Moreover, they don't like preseason because of injury. The problem of getting on the same page won't be solved by more preseason games. To do that, you need to add more practices during training camp. But that's a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    No, they tried two bye weeks before and everybody hated it. 17 games is really not much more than 16, and that's what the expanded roster was supposed to be for.

Of course, I could see it happening anyway out of greed, for the extra week of TV programming that was mentioned.
    I remember that year. However if the NFL put on ALL DIVISION GAMES during the extra bye weeks, people would watch. Putting on one good team vs. a bad team in opposite conferences...those games dont; make for good bye week watching. So it can be done. I think the players could use an extra bye week.

I'd also like to see all 53 players being able to dress and play. Why the heck not?

And while I'm at it, move kickoffs back 5 yards pretty please.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I remember that year. However if the NFL put on ALL DIVISION GAMES during the extra bye weeks, people would watch. Putting on one good team vs. a bad team in opposite conferences...those games dont; make for good bye week watching. So it can be done. I think the players could use an extra bye week.

I'd also like to see all 53 players being able to dress and play. Why the heck not?

And while I'm at it, move kickoffs back 5 yards pretty please.
    How would they do that? It wouldn't be a certain week that's a bye, it'd be spread out over the season like it is now. So you'd have 4 or 6 teams out of action per week instead of 2 or 4.

Your other two ideas I am all for. Why in the hell CAN'T you use all 53 players? Why does every team have to have a third-string QB who's not eligible to play? These and other burning questions are on our reader's minds.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    How would they do that? It wouldn't be a certain week that's a bye, it'd be spread out over the season like it is now. So you'd have 4 or 6 teams out of action per week instead of 2 or 4.

Your other two ideas I am all for. Why in the hell CAN'T you use all 53 players? Why does every team have to have a third-string QB who's not eligible to play? These and other burning questions are on our reader's minds.

Schedule the first bye week from week 3-6 for everyone, and the second one from week 10-13 for the rest. Fantasy geeks playoffs start week 14. If your team had an early bye week say week #3, you get a late bye week on the second one, week #13. The key would be putting on at least one really good match up in the bye weeks. The NFL can do this. I think the players would like it too. The NFL could possible schedule games in Asia or Europe the week before a bye week starts with zero issues.

Cut the pre-season to three games.

Game 1. All rookie and 1st year player games only. Want see who the backs up are. This game will help. Games 2-3 more for the veterans.

I have no idea why the NFL can't dress all 53 players. It makes zero sense, and like I said, pretty please move kickoffs back 5 yards. I used to love that play.