Thread: Steelers’ CB Mike Hilton will receive a 2nd-round tender

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers’ CB Mike Hilton will receive a 2nd-round tender

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers’ CB Mike Hilton will receive a 2nd-round tender

Now if some other team gets him, the Steelers will get a 2nd round pick, great value for a slot corner, even one as good as Hilton

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I love Mike Hilton. But, with Cam Sutton playing very well, if a team in the top 10 (33-43) signed Hilton away, I wouldn’t be worried.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I love Mike Hilton. But, with Cam Sutton playing very well, if a team in the top 10 (33-43) signed Hilton away, I wouldn’t be worried.
    Next year they have to make a decision of keeping Hilton or Sutton IMO. Still interesting to see if Justin Layne takes some positive steps as a CB.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Different guys. Hilton is excellent in the slot and tackles above his weight class. Sutton is better off on the outside in zone. Losing Hilton would hurt.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

I love watching Hilton blitz. He's fearless as a tackler. I hope we don't lose him

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Different guys. Hilton is excellent in the slot and tackles above his weight class. Sutton is better off on the outside in zone. Losing Hilton would hurt.
    Sutton is better in the slot than the outside and better coverage corner than Hilton, but Hilton is better in run support and blitz. I think one of them will be gone in 2021 and this year is just more of an evaluation.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Sutton is better in the slot than the outside and better coverage corner than Hilton, but Hilton is better in run support and blitz. I think one of them will be gone in 2021 and this year is just more of an evaluation.

.....and if someone wants Hilton that badly, the team will pick up a high draft pick to address other needs with a competent player in place to take his position.

I think this is a good move to be fishing for draft picks to add high talent on rookie contracts to save money when they are depleted of draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    .....and if someone wants Hilton that badly, the team will pick up a high draft pick to address other needs with a competent player in place to take his position.

I think this is a good move to be fishing for draft picks to add high talent on rookie contracts to save money when they are depleted of draft picks.
    Definitely a good move. If somebody needs a slot corner they have to ask the question..."will they trade a 2nd round pick for Mike Hilton?" That is basically what the tender is, as well as it helps establish the market for Hilton, as somebody would have to offer him a contract and the Steelers I believe have the option to match the offer and retain the player.

If I am Hilton, I have wanted a new contract for 2 seasons from the Steelers and haven't gotten one. If he plays this season out with the Steelers, I could definitely see him being a bit sour that they restricted his compensation and movement for 2 seasons.