Thread: Finney to Seattle.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Finney to Seattle.

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Finney to Seattle.

Feiler to LG... and/or draft a LG at 49.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

At the price that tells me the Steelers did not view him as starter.

Agreed teegre. If not at #49, with the comp pick in round 3.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Most of my mocks have had 3 O-linemen. It was sort of a running joke. Now... maybe it’s a reality.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

What the shit. I would've thought we'd have kept him for that price. Either we didn't like him as much as I thought, or he didn't like us.

OL has gone from rock-solid two deep at every position, to having question marks in important places, all in a year and a half.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Finney turns 29 this year and I dont think is as good of a G as Feiler. Plus, Pouncey, DeCastro, AV are all making a decent salary and other guys like Watt, Fitzpatrick, Hilton, Sutton will need to get paid by a cash strapped club. So they weren't going to commit $4 million to him when he is still behind Feiler and Pouncey.

O line becomes from LT to RT...AV, Feiler, Pouncey, DeCastro, Okorafor/Banner. Reserves are Okorafor/Banner, Derwin Gray at OT. Gray may also be able to move inside to Guard. JC Hassenhauer C/G and a rookie draft pick this year

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Most of my mocks have had 3 O-linemen. It was sort of a running joke. Now... maybe it’s a reality.
    so many needs still ... sure O-line but we have no linebackers behind the starters , no worthwhile safeties behind the starters ..those groups are just as barren and we need a NT and another TE ... so lots of work to do
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    so many needs still ... sure O-line but we have no linebackers behind the starters , no worthwhile safeties behind the starters ..those groups are just as barren and we need a NT and another TE ... so lots of work to do
    Agree, we need some D line depth, OLB depth and Safety I am not overly concerned with, but least of all ILB. Williams and Bush are the starters. Ulysses Gilbert the #3 and Robert Spillane the 4 on depth. Sure they can add another, but in an era with a lot of 5 and 6 DB packages I think the top 3 are fine.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Feiler to LG... and/or draft a LG at 49.
    I don't want to move Feiler as I'm not sure if anyone else can play Right Tackle well for a stretch of games. The Steelers gave Feiler a 2nd round tender.

We can pick a guard in round two , like you said, but I'd rather go guard in rounds 3-4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    At the price that tells me the Steelers did not view him as starter.

Agreed teegre. If not at #49, with the comp pick in round 3.
    Or by taging Dupree, there just wasn't enough money left. The steelers have 2nd least amount of cap space. We could not sign a long snapper now.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Seems like yesterday when Finney announced his signing to a group of family and friends in his garage. Time flies

It’s more of me going: “I like that guard... oh, and that guard... that guard is good, too...”

Derwin Gray was on Twitter excited that it’s “my time”. It could just be a kid excited that the two people ahead of him on the depth chart are gone, OR, someone told him that it’s his time.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Build inside-out. There are 4-5 C/G prospects and another pure 2-3 OG prospects I would have no problem taking at 49. Some I think are good to great value at that pick, some are good value because we don't pick again until 102. And the IOL talent drops considerable after those 6-8 guys. 1 selection in the top 100 but 3 in the top 150. Get your OL, then get BPA from there.

Remember the days of having an absolute mauler like Kemo at OG and he would just demolish a hole for the RB, and then get a penalty for something dumb? These top OL in this year's draft are not only technically sound brutish man-movers but also high football IQ guys that make a long lasting good OL.

BTW...Who is Christian DiLauro? Listed as a OT on the Steeler's current roster. I don't recognize him or if he's an "OT" but expected to move to OG for the NFL. Curious.

It’s more of me going: “I like that guard... oh, and that guard... that guard is good, too...”

Derwin Gray was on Twitter excited that it’s “my time”. It could just be a kid excited that the two people ahead of him on the depth chart are gone, OR, someone told him that it’s his time.
    I think Gray had a decent preseason and I was actually impressed how well he moves for such a large man when I watched his combine workout. With 2 players ahead of him on the depth chart moving on, its most likely his time to compete for and have a real shot at the 53. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post

Or by taging Dupree, there just wasn't enough money left. The steelers have 2nd least amount of cap space. We could not sign a long snapper now.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

The Steelers can create cap by doing restructures. if they really wanted Finney he'd be back but they were not going to over pay. The writing on the wall for Finney was vs the Rams last season. So Feiler will kick inside, and with the additions to the AFC North they'll need the size.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Do we get the 2nd round this year? in this years draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Build inside-out. There are 4-5 C/G prospects and another pure 2-3 OG prospects I would have no problem taking at 49. Some I think are good to great value at that pick, some are good value because we don't pick again until 102. And the IOL talent drops considerable after those 6-8 guys. 1 selection in the top 100 but 3 in the top 150. Get your OL, then get BPA from there.

Remember the days of having an absolute mauler like Kemo at OG and he would just demolish a hole for the RB, and then get a penalty for something dumb? These top OL in this year's draft are not only technically sound brutish man-movers but also high football IQ guys that make a long lasting good OL.

BTW...Who is Christian DiLauro? Listed as a OT on the Steeler's current roster. I don't recognize him or if he's an "OT" but expected to move to OG for the NFL. Curious.
    You don’t have to convince me to go O-line early.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Never hurts. My favorite draft moment of all time, I think, was when DeCastro fell all the way to the Steelers.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Never hurts. My favorite draft moment of all time, I think, was when DeCastro fell all the way to the Steelers.
    That was awesome. For me it was when the Packers passed on Watt. I couldn't believe that Watt had fallen as far as he did and that the team I was sure was going to "steal" him out from under the Steelers moved out of the way. I don't even remember who traded into the spot and who they took, but I remember just knowing when the trade was announced that Watt was going to be a Steeler.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I remember being shocked. Most mocks had him going top 10 because he was considered to be a rare blue chip guard prospect so I forgot about him when the Steelers were picking.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That was awesome. For me it was when the Packers passed on Watt. I couldn't believe that Watt had fallen as far as he did and that the team I was sure was going to "steal" him out from under the Steelers moved out of the way. I don't even remember who traded into the spot and who they took, but I remember just knowing when the trade was announced that Watt was going to be a Steeler.
    That was a very good one too.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ben dropping to 11 has to be the #1 draft steal.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Ben dropping to 11 has to be the #1 draft steal.

After all the years without a great quarterback since Terry Bradshaw, it was like hitting the lottery!

Before the draft, I rated the QBs Ben, Rivers, and Manning...in that order. When Eli and Rivers went real early, I didn't think Ben would make it down to where we were drafting. When he became available when it was our time to pick, I couldn't believe it. I was already jumping around at the thought that we had a chance to get "my guy", and finally have a QB that I thought could be great. I remember saying a whole lot of "Oh my Gods" and "HOLY SHITs!", thinking that it might really happen.

When they announced the pick and I heard his name, I was jumping and pumping my fist.....It was an amazing moment for me and for all of Steelers Nation. I called my son and told him that I think the Steelers just drafted the next great quarterback. That was special.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    After all the years without a great quarterback since Terry Bradshaw, it was like hitting the lottery!

Before the draft, I rated the QBs Ben, Rivers, and Manning...in that order. When Eli and Rivers went real early, I didn't think Ben would make it down to where we were drafting. When he became available when it was our time to pick, I couldn't believe it. I was already jumping around at the thought that we had a chance to get "my guy", and finally have a QB that I thought could be great. I remember saying a whole lot of "Oh my Gods" and "HOLY SHITs!", thinking that it might really happen.

When they announced the pick and I heard his name, I was jumping and pumping my fist.....It was an amazing moment for me and for all of Steelers Nation. I called my son and told him that I think the Steelers just drafted the next great quarterback. That was special.
    That was my reaction, too. Cheering, celebrating, hugs.

The year prior, when Troy was drafted, I was on the phone with a Chargers fan. It was probably my most memorable draft pick.

CHARG: We’re on the clock. Who should we take?

TEEGRE: Troy Polamalu ...without question. He’s the best safety I’ve seen in years. I know, I know: I loved Ed Reed, but Troy is different. We’ve never seen a player like him.

CHARG: Perfect. Troy it is. What the...!?! We traded back... wait... the Steelers are taking Polamalu. CLICK!!!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

That was my reaction, too. Cheering, celebrating, hugs.

The year prior, when Troy was drafted, I was on the phone with a Chargers fan. It was probably my most memorable draft pick.

CHARG: We’re on the clock. Who should we take?

TEEGRE: Troy Polamalu ...without question. He’s the best safety I’ve seen in years. I know, I know: I loved Ed Reed, but Troy is different. We’ve never seen a player like him.

CHARG: Perfect. Troy it is. What the...!?! We traded back... wait... the Steelers are taking Polamalu. CLICK!!!

Awesome story!

That year, I was telling all my Steeler friends that there was this USC safety that was really something. He's a crazy athlete and doesn't play the position like anyone I had ever seen before. I'd love to see them draft this kid, and that they might have to move up in the draft to get him. They were like..."I never heard of him." It's always strange when you are talking to people that don't follow the draft the way you do!

That was also a great moment.

We have been blessed. The Steelers have had so many great moments in that draft room. Some that we knew at the moment it happened....and some we found out later when we saw them dominating on the field.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

These are all great. Ben goes without saying. Troy P was back when I was totally reliant on others (instead of 98%) for my draft understanding, so I had no idea.

I do remember being totally pumped about the Bettis trade and wondering what the Rams were thinking...

...but I was also certain that Mendenhall, Sweed, Sean Davis, Troy Edwards, and Fred Gibson were all home-runs.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Awesome story!

That year, I was telling all my Steeler friends that there was this USC safety that was really something. He's a crazy athlete and doesn't play the position like anyone I had ever seen before. I'd love to see them draft this kid, and that they might have to move up in the draft to get him. They were like..."I never heard of him." It's always strange when you are talking to people that don't follow the draft the way you do!

That was also a great moment.

We have been blessed. The Steelers have had so many great moments in that draft room. Some that we knew at the moment it happened....and some we found out later when we saw them dominating on the field.
    Indeed. I talk about players that even ardent college football fans are like, “Who???”

My Chargers friends used to get so annoyed when the draft was over.

“Who’d the Steelers draft?”
    “Probably some All Pro.”

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I do not follow college ball and not a draft expert by any means what-so-ever. I did however know about J.J. and how much I wished he was a Steeler. I like you could not believe we would ever get the chance to get T.J. The rumors were the cowboys and packers would get him and when he was there I too knew we would get him. I was THRILLED!!! and he hasn't disappointed.