Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jameis Winston

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Jameis Winston

I read an article that said Chris and Phil Simms thought Jameis would be a Steeler. I don't know what the market on Jameis would be, but I know the Steelers don't have a lot of cap space. However, with Big Ben restructuring his deal, as well as a few others, they saved around 20 million. That still may not be enough with as many holes that need filled.

If we could bring Jameis in on a 1-2 year deal that's not too expensive I would be all for it. He can backup Ben this season, and play the 4 or 5 games Ben misses. I like our chances a lot more with Winston than Rudolph, Lynch, and Duck. Last season, if we had a solid backup QB we would have easily been in the playoffs. Backup QB may be our most important need the more I think about it. Imo, you can win games on Winston's arm, something that no other backup QB on our roster provides.

If this is Ben's last season, this would make a lot of sense. We will probably be picking in the low to mid 20s, so we wouldn't have to worry about reaching for a QB in rd 1. Imo, Jameis has the talent and all the tools, he just hasn't put it all together. I also believe he still has the potential to be a very good QB. If nothing else, he provides insurance for the next 2 seasons.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Jameis Winston

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I read an article that said Chris and Phil Simms thought Jameis would be a Steeler. I don't what the market on Jameis would be, but I know the Steelers don't have a lot of cap space. However, with Big Ben restructuring his deal, as well as a few others, they saved around 20 million. That still may not be enough with as many holes that need filled.

If we could bring Jameis in on a 1-2 year deal that's not too expensive I would be all for it. He can backup Ben this season, and play the 4 or 5 games Ben misses. I like our chances a lot more with Winston than Rudolph, Lynch, and Duck. Last season, if we had a solid backup QB we would have easily been in the playoffs. Backup QB may be our most important need the more I think about it. Imo, you can win games on Winston's arm, something that no other backup QB on our roster provides.

If this is Ben's last season, this would make a lot of sense. We will probably be picking in the low to mid 20s, so we wouldn't have to worry about reaching for a QB in rd 1. Imo, Jameis has the talent and all the tools, he just hasn't put it all together. I also believe he still has the potential to be a very good QB. If nothing else, he provides insurance for the next 2 seasons.
    We don't need an expensive backup so that we can be above-average if Ben is out. We need a couple more players so that we can compete for a championship if he is healthy. If we just let Hargrave go and then we did this, it would be a step in the wrong direction.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    We don't need an expensive backup so that we can be above-average if Ben is out. We need a couple more players so that we can compete for a championship if he is healthy. If we just let Hargrave go and then we did this, it would be a step in the wrong direction.
    I get what you're saying, but not having a decent backup costs us the playoffs. If Ben stays healthy that's great, but how often has he been healthy for a full season? Expensive backup this season, but a cheap starter next season if they could get a 2 year deal.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

No to Winston and his 30 picks and 7 pick sixes

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    If you're talking stats, he threw for 5,000 as well. No doubt though, the ints are definitely an issue. Maybe he could clean that up a bit. Regardless, I would throw him in there in a heartbeat over any of the other QBs not named Ben on our roster.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

If you're talking stats, he threw for 5,000 as well. No doubt though, the ints are definitely an issue. Maybe he could clean that up a bit. Regardless, I would throw him in there in a heartbeat over any of the other QBs not named Ben on our roster.
    Agreed, look what our options are now.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    Agreed, look what our options are now.
    There's no one there that has any potential to be a starting QB IMO. It's definitely not an ideal situation at QB right now.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I get what you're saying, but not having a decent backup costs us the playoffs. If Ben stays healthy that's great, but how often has he been healthy for a full season? Expensive backup this season, but a cheap starter next season if they could get a 2 year deal.
    Ideally we could have a guy like that over our existing backups, but even with his faults, Winston is not going to come nearly cheap enough.

The position we are in is basically that our only path to a title is going all-in on Ben and hoping he does not get hurt, and doing what we can to keep the rest of our core afloat. If we plan for the assumption that he will get hurt, then we basically resign ourselves to being a low-level playoff contender. The market for Winston may be uncertain, but I don't know how a guy is going to want less than starter money when he can point to the fact that he threw for 5,000 yards. Unless there is something I am completely missing, we would almost certainly have to let go of someone to make that happen. You can't just casually squeeze in another quarterback's salary.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post

^^^ This, and he was showing to a very good group of WR's. Put Tom Brady in this offense and I don't want to play him.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Winston has the shortest memory of any QB I’ve ever seen. The INTs suck (bad), but is unfazed by then. He can throw three INTs in a row, then turn around and throw a three TDs.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Winston has the shortest memory of any QB I’ve ever seen. The INTs suck (bad), but is unfazed by then. He can throw three INTs in a row, then turn around and throw a three TDs.
    "unfazed" and "shortest memory" is a very nice way to put it

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Ideally we could have a guy like that over our existing backups, but even with his faults, Winston is not going to come nearly cheap enough.

The position we are in is basically that our only path to a title is going all-in on Ben and hoping he does not get hurt, and doing what we can to keep the rest of our core afloat. If we plan for the assumption that he will get hurt, then we basically resign ourselves to being a low-level playoff contender. The market for Winston may be uncertain, but I don't know how a guy is going to want less than starter money when he can point to the fact that he threw for 5,000 yards. Unless there is something I am completely missing, we would almost certainly have to let go of someone to make that happen. You can't just casually squeeze in another quarterback's salary.
    It will come down to how much he wants. Like I said, if the price is right then bring him in. I'd be willing to pay though, because right now, our future is Duck Hodges, Mason Rudolph, and Paxton Lynch. It doesn't seem likely we find a franchise QB in this upcoming draft. We may not even find one in next years draft. Winston would be a nice insurance policy given that he's only 26 and has shown flashes.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Don't forget about JT Barrett guys.

He doesn't lack confidence. Has a little Brett Favre in him. The talent and potential is there though. If he put it all together he could be a dangerous QB. I also read he was having lasik eye surgery during the offseason. I mean that's obviously why he threw 30 ints.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

He doesn't lack confidence. Has a little Brett Favre in him. The talent and potential is there though. If he put it all together he could be a dangerous QB. I also read he was having lasik eye surgery during the offseason. I mean that's obviously why he threw 30 ints.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think Colbert has already said they were going with what they have, be it good or bad.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    ^^^ This, and he was showing to a very good group of WR's. Put Tom Brady in this offense and I don't want to play him.

The Bucs could have the best set of weapons in the NFL right now. They are stacked at the skill positions. I'm just not sure that Brady can throw the ball down the field to take advantage of the talent, and he has a short shelf life.

It would certainly be interesting to see how that would work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think Colbert has already said they were going with what they have, be it good or bad.
    I do recall this. I don't know if I believe it though. If Roethlisberger goes down we're going to see a lot of what we saw last year, unless MR makes a huge leap. Why would Colbert be comfortable with what we have? None of them have proved anything, so I don't understand that.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Jameis had a great receiving corp and Bruce Arians typically gets the best out of QBs (even if his playcalling isn't good) and he still threw 30 INTs. And people want to put him on a team with on a great day 2 no. 2 receivers and probably the most inept OC in the NFL. Yeah, no

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

oh god here we go again with absurdity threads
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Randy Fichtner the QB whisperer can coach him up.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Winston will want to be a starter where ever he goes. There's talk of the Patriots signing him to replace Brady, why would he agree to sit behind Ben? If anything a guy like Bridgewater would be a better option but after what he did in Brees's absence he will probably be signed as a starter somewhere.

Unfortunately we will probably have to settle for a Jacoby Brissett level backup. Which I would be fine with. He would have been better than Rudolph or Duck.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Randy Fichtner the QB whisperer can coach him up.
    Joking aside, Winston & Hodges are the same player... except Winston has the TD passes to counter all of those INTs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Winston will want to be a starter where ever he goes. There's talk of the Patriots signing him to replace Brady, why would he agree to sit behind Ben? If anything a guy like Bridgewater would be a better option but after what he did in Brees's absence he will probably be signed as a starter somewhere.

Unfortunately we will probably have to settle for a Jacoby Brissett level backup. Which I would be fine with. He would have been better than Rudolph or Duck.
    I’d take Bridgewater in a heartbeat... except, so would the Panthers. After last season, there was no way he was going to be a backup.

Brissett isn’t going to be a backup, either; he’s the front-runner to return to the Taperiots (Belichick is familiar with him).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WinsJa00.htm

For his career Winston is a 25TDs and 18INTs per season QB. I am not interested in that moving forward. Not saying he won't improve and become 'Famous Jameis' again but the downside outweighs the up IMO. The top 2 things that lose football games, Turnovers and penalties.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Brissett would be the best backup in the league.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Brissett would be the best backup in the league.

I remember folks saying that about Tyrod Taylor too , I was never much of a fan of either as starters but both are quality backups
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Joking aside, Winston & Hodges are the same player... except Winston has the TD passes to counter all of those INTs.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d take Bridgewater in a heartbeat... except, so would the Panthers. After last season, there was no way he was going to be a backup.

Brissett isn’t going to be a backup, either; he’s the front-runner to return to the Taperiots (Belichick is familiar with him).
    Winston and Hodges are not the same player. Hodges doesn't belong in the NFL. Winston can play. He has his downfalls, but he can win football games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WinsJa00.htm

For his career Winston is a 25TDs and 18INTs per season QB. I am not interested in that moving forward. Not saying he won't improve and become 'Famous Jameis' again but the downside outweighs the up IMO. The top 2 things that lose football games, Turnovers and penalties.
    I can respect that. We will have a lot of cap if Ben decides to hang it up next season, so maybe we spend that money on a free agent QB. But right now, I'm not comfortable with what we have. They have shown nothing to prove they even belong in the NFL.

Winston and Hodges are not the same player. Hodges doesn't belong in the NFL. Winston can play. He has his downfalls, but he can win football games.

- - - Updated - - -

I can respect that. We will have a lot of cap if Ben decides to hang it up next season, so maybe we spend that money on a free agent QB. But right now, I'm not comfortable with what we have. They have shown nothing to prove they even belong in the NFL.
    I am not comfortable with the backup QB situation now either. I wasn't comfortable with it when Landry Jones was the backup and I wouldn't be comfortable with Jameis Winston. I hated the Mike Vick experiment as well. The 'devil' I don't know in this offense today is Lynch. He may be better than all the names mentioned previously, AND he could be just as bad or worse. If you draft a QB it should be to replace the current starter not someone to be the backup. Who wants a QB that WANTS to be the backup?

That’s sort of my point.

Duck: 3 INTs, 0 TDs, 125 yards, three third-downs converted

Jameis: 3 INTS, 4 TDs, 400 yards, nine third-downs converted

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

When the Steelers sign Landry Jones >>>
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh