Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers restructuring...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Steelers restructuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Except that, next year, half the team's cap hit disappears and we're 40 mill under this year's cap for next year at this point.
    Holy shit, we'll really be in a position to go on a spending spree! There must be some catch ...

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Sure, we'll have to sign people back,
    Oh - that.

We are nearly ALWAYS $40 million under the cap a year or two out. $60 million-plus 3 years out. Almost every team in the league is that way, because nobody ever has a contract longer than that except your 10 or so first-round picks and highly paid stars. Virtually all of your backups, half your starters, and two-thirds of your rookie-contract guys, will be on deals that expire in 1-2 years at any given point.

So that $40 million or $60 million needs to fill out a third or a half of your whole roster. The only reason why there's all that cap space is because we are no longer paying someone and their spot needs to be filled by someone else. Unless you know of some guys who will play for free, most of it is a huge illusion. We will be ok like normal, but it is doubtful that it's some opportunity to go out and make a big splash.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Look at the teams that go on "free agent spending sprees" they ALL have one common variable.

They have a QB on a rookie deal. That's $20-30 million in cap space every year for 5 years!

Now everyone is going to scramble and find FA signings for $$$ by vet QB teams. Fine.

See what their draft classes look like. Full of pro bowl caliber players? Gonna guess not. There's more cap space.

Steelers are maxed out because they actually have players worth paying.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Holy shit, we'll really be in a position to go on a spending spree! There must be some catch ...

Oh - that.

We are nearly ALWAYS $40 million under the cap a year or two out. $60 million-plus 3 years out. Almost every team in the league is that way, because nobody ever has a contract longer than that except your 10 or so first-round picks and highly paid stars. Virtually all of your backups, half your starters, and two-thirds of your rookie-contract guys, will be on deals that expire in 1-2 years at any given point.

So that $40 million or $60 million needs to fill out a third or a half of your whole roster. The only reason why there's all that cap space is because we are no longer paying someone and their spot needs to be filled by someone else. Unless you know of some guys who will play for free, most of it is a huge illusion. We will be ok like normal, but it is doubtful that it's some opportunity to go out and make a big splash.
    No, we're not always 40 mill under the cap a year out. Not at all. We're in a position now where a ton of contracts are about to expire and all the backloading that went with them. Also, I like how you ignored my reasoning why filling that roster isn't going to be as difficult as you think. With that amount of money and the fact that most of our big names are still under contract, it makes the backloading this year make sense.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Jordan Dangerfield in on a one year deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Jordan Dangerfield in on a one year deal!!
    Damnit! I thought they had finally gotten over that speed bump.

Fair enough, I guess. He knows the system. He plays well on STs. But I just don't believe in "depth" options you already know can NOT play actual NFL snaps. Jordan Dangerfield can not play actual defensive snaps in real NFL games. Therefore, why roster him? Try something, anyone else for the same $$$.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Fair enough, I guess. He knows the system. He plays well on STs. But I just don't believe in "depth" options you already know can NOT play actual NFL snaps. Jordan Dangerfield can not play actual defensive snaps in real NFL games. Therefore, why roster him? Try something, anyone else for the same $$$.

You've been over that guy for a while now!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Looks like another 'hole filled' move pre-draft. I think Colbert will hunt for a Safety in the draft but if one of his guys doesn't fall, there's still Dangerfield and at least we didn't go backwards. Dangerfield and Kelley could both use some serious upgrade. But with Minkah and Edmunds maybe the focus is more on a true NB? Free agent safeties worth looking at are probably too expensive right now. A bit surprised they went Dangerfield over Davis one this deal though.

Nevermind, just read Davis signed with the Redskins($5M/1yr).

Vonn Bell is still out there. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Looks like another 'hole filled' move pre-draft. I think Colbert will hunt for a Safety in the draft but if one of his guys doesn't fall, there's still Dangerfield and at least we didn't go backwards. Dangerfield and Kelley could both use some serious upgrade. But with Minkah and Edmunds maybe the focus is more on a true NB? Free agent safeties worth looking at are probably too expensive right now. A bit surprised they went Dangerfield over Davis one this deal though.

Nevermind, just read Davis signed with the Redskins($5M/1yr).

Vonn Bell is still out there. Fingers crossed.
    I know that you are right. I also understand that the Steelers can't just go get a borderline starter quality safety and have them take the almost certainly minimum salary deal that Dangerfield took.

I guess it is more that i very much hope there is another move that pushes one of Dangerfield and Allen off the roster. And that is understandable if that move doesn't happen until later in the off season.

I think it all goes to my frustration that the Steelers seem to not turn-over the bottom of their roster as much as I would prefer. For instance, if not for the odd injury situations last season, there is no way that Deon Cain is on the roster. I honestly think they are going to find that they have a competent NFL WR in Cain. There has to be the safety and TE equivalent of that floating around PS and the waiver wire. I would be churning through those guys almost weekly. But perhaps that isn't realistic for an actual NFL team - just the imaginary one I run in my head.

BTW - we win the championship every year.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I know that you are right. I also understand that the Steelers can't just go get a borderline starter quality safety and have them take the almost certainly minimum salary deal that Dangerfield took.

I guess it is more that i very much hope there is another move that pushes one of Dangerfield and Allen off the roster. And that is understandable if that move doesn't happen until later in the off season.

I think it all goes to my frustration that the Steelers seem to not turn-over the bottom of their roster as much as I would prefer. For instance, if not for the odd injury situations last season, there is no way that Deon Cain is on the roster. I honestly think they are going to find that they have a competent NFL WR in Cain. There has to be the safety and TE equivalent of that floating around PS and the waiver wire. I would be churning through those guys almost weekly. But perhaps that isn't realistic for an actual NFL team - just the imaginary one I run in my head.

BTW - we win the championship every year.
    The Steelers have never lost a game at my house.

I also want to see Dangerfield upgraded to someone that can actually be on the field on defense if needed. We often talk about a prospect's floor and ceiling being either high or low. Same can be done with the team, either as a whle or by position group. The Safety position today has a very high ceiling but also a very low floor. that floor needs to be raised considerably. Our current roster shows Minkah/Dangerfield and Edmunds/Allen(actually has Dangerfield and Allen swapped but I think that's backwards). This is not how I would want to enter September. There is a safety on the roster I am not familiar with. Tray Matthews 6'1"-213lbs, 25yrs old, out of Auburn, listed as wears #46. Gonna do some digging on him, great size for a box safety/NB.

Found this article from 2018: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ews-ss-auburn/