Thread: Ranking steelers positional needs 2020

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ranking steelers positional needs 2020

As the negotation period for free agency behins, it is time once again for a complete list of the positions ranked based on needs. This is only based on players and not coaches

1. Offensive Line: Probably the biggest loss of the 2019 was Mike Munchak defecting to Denver. The downgrade from Munchak to the inept and unable Sean Sarrett helped lead to a steep regression in the o-line which helped take the entire offense down with it. Age also played a factor as well. AV was hot garbage, Foster retired, and Pouncey looked largely disinterested except for when he was fighting Myles Garrett. With age combined with the lack of coaching, the offensive line is in serious need of an infusion of new blood. An infusion of veterans with experience playing well and rookie draft picks with proper technique is seriously needed. The offensive line needs to greatly improved to help both Ben (or whichever QB is under center if he gets injured again) and the running game

2. Tight End: The Steelers don't have a starting caliber TE. People give lots of praise to Vance McDonald primarily for bulldozing a DB from the Bucs in September 2018 (the Bucs secondary has been garbage for years) but he has never shown to actually be a reliable TE. Nick Vannett meanwhile was useless, wasn't even worth the 5th round pick they gave up

3. Wide Receiver: Just like they don't have a no. 1 TE, they don't have a no. 1 WR either. Antonio Brown may be a selfish asshole but his thunderous departure was also very devastating. The Steelers do not have a no. 1 WR on the roster. Juju is pedestrian on a good day without AB and James Washington is good for giving off the illusion of a potential no. 1 for about 5 plays a seasonbefore disappearing the rest of the time. Diontae Johnson remains an unknown as is Deon Cane who flashed at times but wasn't give much of a chance by Fichtner to do much of anything. Still though, this teams needs a weapon in the passing game

4. Quarterback: The young QBs may not have gotten any help from a rapidly decaying o-line, no reliable pass catching weapons, and probably the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL, but Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges don't have the look of franchise QBs either. They are more like guys you want in spot duty under the right system as seen by how they got worse the more they stayed in the line-up. Ben may be coming back but he is a 38 year old QB coming off elbow injury, there is no guarantee he is the same guy. The search for a new franchise QB is not too early.

5. Defensive Line: Javon Hargrave's future and Stephon Tuitt's injury history casts a shadow of a doubt over this unit's future. If Hargrave re-signs this will be lower

6. Safety: Minkah Fitzpatrick helped spark a dramatic defensive turnaround. However, after Fitzpatrick, the dropoff at safety is to put it kindly noticeable. Terrell Edmunds is the worst defensive starter on the team and there is further dropoff from the backups. Also Sean Davis may be leaving as well (and that's probably a good thing, that guy was a complete dud). If Fitzmagic goes down, the defense is toast, (just like it was before he arrived) so adding some quality at safety outside Fitzmagic is of high importance.

7. Outside Linebacker: TJ Watt has blossomed into a franchise cornerstone and was the best defensive player in 2019, but behind him is a mystery. Bud Dupree has been tagged and barring pulling a Le'Veon he will play and be playing for a contract which should work in the Steelers favor. However behind him the depth is barren. Chickillo is cut. 5-7 are all close together, all with 1 all-pro but depth andd question marks in the backup realm

8. Running back: People watch Derrick Henry and think a no. 1 RB is a need, but it isn't. I think they have enough at the position to do an effective by-committee approach. Benny Snell got better as the season went on, Jaylen Samuels does well when Fichtner actually uses him and Tarryn White also showed flashes and got a lot of his carries when Fichtner actually uses him. Plus drafting a RB in round 2 won't fix the root cause of the problem

9. Inside Linebacker: What a difference a bold move up makes. Devin Bush filled the need at ILB with a great rookie season, and he looks like he will only get better which is scary. Vince Williams is a good compliment to Bush. This team could use some depth though, especially with Barron being cut

10. Cornerback: How refreshing that this is the no. 10 spot after years of struggling at this position. Steven Nelson turned out to be a great pickup and formed a great duo with Joe Haden who had another great year. Then in the slot you have Mike Hilton who is a great slot corner (albeit an RFA) and Cam Sutton who also developed into a solid slot corner in his 3rd year. A position of weakness for the better part of the last decade has become a strength and the CBs along with Fitzpatrick helped the Steelers finish 3rd in NFL pass defense last year

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Re: Ranking steelers positional needs 2020

Well, Hargrave is an Eagle. Foster is retired.

This draft quickly became an IDL, IOL draft. That's fine given our position in the draft. But, are we smart enough to realize it?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It was always a OL Draft IMO.

Again, here’s the thing, if the team is going to continue the 2 down lineman thing on defense, Hargrave was the most expendable player on the team. Tuitt is coming back and was ten times the player Hargrave was in the short time he was in there last season. So really, if they are continuing that set up, they’ve “upgraded” that position and have kept the status of the depth equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The Steelers simply do not have enough draft pick or cap space to meet all of our needs.

TE, RB and OG need better and reliable starters. With a 2nd, 3rd, and two 4th's, I hope to see these positions drafted.

For rounds 6 and 7, Punter, DT/NT, and ILB should be target positions.

- - - Updated - - -

Wide Receiver: Just like they don't have a no. 1 TE, they don't have a no. 1 WR either. Antonio Brown may be a selfish asshole but his thunderous departure was also very devastating. The Steelers do not have a no. 1 WR on the roster. Juju is pedestrian on a good day without AB and James Washington is good for giving off the illusion of a potential no. 1 for about 5 plays a seasonbefore disappearing the rest of the time. Diontae Johnson remains an unknown as is Deon Cane who flashed at times but wasn't give much of a chance by Fichtner to do much of anything. Still though, this teams needs a weapon in the passing game
    I think the glass is half full. Here's why the receiver were playing with two really bad quarterbacks and a new coach who had been out of football for a while. It was a mess. When Ben was out, Antonio Brown was mostly a non factor. With Ben Back, Ju-Ju should rebound. Johnson looks like a good #3 , and Deon Cain lead the NFL in flags for snaps....the guy can get deep. Ben is a good deep thrower. Washington to me is the wild card. A solid TE would can work the middle would help the WR's, hopefully we get that in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I actually think St33lers is incorrect for one reason. QB, that led to a drop off in WR, TE and OL play. Get Ben back and our offense is fine. We actually don’t have big holes to fill at this time, just quality depth.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

With a full round of free agency in the books and the fraft coming near, I will be re-ordering my ranking of positional needs heading into the draft based on what was addressed

1. Offensive Line- The Stefan Wisnewski signing was a step in the right direction. However there is still more work that needs to be done at the position. Ramon Foster retired and BJ Finney are gone, other linemen are on one-year deals and the regression of the group after Munchak's departure is well known. They need multiple additions to the o-line this offseason

2. Wide Receiver- Some argued that this isn't much of a need and that simply having Ben back will make everyone better. But I look at how no one seemed to step up as a no. 1 in AB's absence and how the offense sputtered even when Ben was healthy. This is dating back to week 17 2018 against the Bengals where AB was deactivated. None of the other receivers stepped up and the offense struggled mightly, at home, in a must-win game against basically the Bengals 2nd stringers no less. This of course continued throughout 2019 again even when Ben was healthy. It's best for the STeelers to have a true no. 1 to help their 38 year old QB. In a deep class, there's no reason not to get one.

3. Safety- Adding a quality safety not named Minkah Fitzpatrick may be a good idea. I legit don't see one. If Minkah gets injured and misses time, who steps up in his absence?

4. Quarterback: It feels weird ranking the QB position. It is made evident that the Steelers will not address the QB position and they likely won't bring in a high profile guy as long as Ben is in. It may also be best as there isn't a QB in free agency and there likely won't be a QB available at pick 49 that will be a franchise QB or adequate. That being said, this list is about where they stand at the position, not organizational interest or supply.The Steelers find themselves in a precarious position where they are relying on 38 year old Big Ben to return to form following elbow surgery. Even if he does return to form this year how many years does he have left? Behind him remain Mason and Duck who aren't franchise guys. While the remaining QB options are weak outside of Joe Burrow who wil go pick no. 1, the Steelers would be wise take the first suitable opportunity to obtain a new franchise QB.

5. Tight End- If I had more confidence in Eric Ebron, this would be lower but I don't. As it stands, they have enough bodies to fill out a depth chart, but I still don't see a reliable no. 1 TE. Ebron has had one good year in 6 and is notorious for drops.

6. Outside Linebacker- Some will say outside linebacker is a bigger need than TE due to depth (depth issues that are concerning starting with 2nd string) but budding franchise cornerstone TJ Watt gives them more at the top of the depth chart at OLB. They also franchised Bud Dupree so as of now, he will be on another contract year where he played his best (barring of course Bud pulling a Le'Veon or being given a ridiculous extension)

7. Inside Linebacker- I moved this up being more aware of how thin they are starting at backup. Still though VW and Devin Bush should discourage them from addressing this position at pick 49

8. Defensive Line- It's weird moving this down in the wake of Hargrave moving to the other end of Pennsylvania, but thinking about how they use their d-line plus adding Chris Wormley I think there is more at D-line than any of the positions above, even with Tuitt's injury history factored in.

9. Running Back- Alex Kozara uploaded an article that someone on here posted siting 5 reasons not to draft a RB in round 2. It perfectly sums up why I don't think one should be drafted early and why I don't think it is as high of a need. I think what they have is good enough, and I've seen what they have be good enough, especially with more help at other offensive positions

10. Cornerback- The new thing to add here is that Mike Hilton was given a round 2 tender. He's good, but I don't think anyone will be willing to part with a round 2 pick. Heading into 2020, this looks like the most solid and set position top-bottom

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

For the WRs, I don't think we're going to have a number 1 WR in this draft(at least not in 2020) and I don't think it's an urgent need but the steelers need a deep threat .... If the steelers have a WR that had the impact of Martavis Bryant and Mike Wallace in their rookie season, it's going to be huge for the steelers and they had his WRs in the 3rd and 4th round.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I have posted a bunch of times the stats that indicate that Diontae Johnson is going to be a #1 receiver.

DJ had the most missed tackles forced (or something like that) ahead of Chris Godwin (who was an All Pro).

DJ had the most yards of separation per route run (or per reception).

There was some other stat... something good.

SUMMATION:
    Give DJ a "real" QB, and he will post 120 receptions for 1300 yards and 12 TDs.

That said, this is a draft where each team is going to draft at least one. Really, I expect 32+ WRs to be drafted. Now, when will the Steelers draft a WR?... IDK. But, I do not see it as much of a "need" as some others do. If the right guy is there at #49, then we get him. But, there is depth enough to get a quality WR on Day 3.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I have posted a bunch of times the stats that indicate that Diontae Johnson is going to be a #1 receiver.

DJ had the most missed tackles forced (or something like that) ahead of Chris Godwin (who was an All Pro).

DJ had the most yards of separation per route run (or per reception).

There was some other stat... something good.

SUMMATION:
    Give DJ a "real" QB, and he will post 120 receptions for 1300 yards and 12 TDs.

That said, this is a draft where each team is going to draft at least one. Really, I expect 32+ WRs to be drafted. Now, when will the Steelers draft a WR?... IDK. But, I do not see it as much of a "need" as some others do. If the right guy is there at #49, then we get him. But, there is depth enough to get a quality WR on Day 3.
    I think Johnson can be a special player ... If this core can have a deep threat, this WR core is going to be once again a strength even if we don't have a WR as AB.

I think it mean that the steelers want a fast WR…

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Based on the list above, the only place where we're currently "missing" a serviceable player is DL, and the rest of them we mainly need depth, a future replacement, or a nice-to-have upgrade. That's fortunate, given our fewer than usual picks.

I would prioritize DL, OL, and WR in that order, but of course if a guy who is a great fit or a real steal falls to us, we have the luxury of taking that player without a second thought no matter what position he plays.
    See you Space Cowboy ...