Thread: Titans have lost their minds

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Titans have lost their minds

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...th-118-million

They just gave a 32 year old QB with ONE half of a decent season $62 million guaranteed. I know that salaries inflate quickly...but holy moly.

I predict that Tannehill never equals the success he had last season. But what do I know? If he does for 3 years, the Titans have a bargain on their hands.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Titans have lost their minds

I would have given him the franchise tag to see if he could replicate it for a full year but keeping him was better than just letting him go. The team was so much better with him than Mariota.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I guess that ends the Brady to Titans rumors.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I guess that ends the Brady to Titans rumors.
    Brady was never going to a team that kicked him out of the playoffs.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I thought it was Brady to the 49ers.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What is the difference between "fully guaranteed" ($62M) and "total guaranteed" ($91M)??? They are throwing that phrase around like it's self-explanatory. It's not.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Could be worse, at least they are not the Jaguars. They just gave away a pro bowl D-lineman for nothing

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

He really depended on the defense snd running game, so he can definitely improve. I think stability is worth it.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Could be worse, at least they are not the Jaguars. They just gave away a pro bowl D-lineman for nothing
    Largely because they signed an over-rated veteran QB to a massive deal and then had to shed cap dollars to sign Nagakue.

So Titans do the same with Tannehill and then lose some pieces on say, the offensive line and it all just never comes together.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Largely because they signed an over-rated veteran QB to a massive deal and then had to shed cap dollars to sign Nagakue.

So Titans do the same with Tannehill and then lose some pieces on say, the offensive line and it all just never comes together.
    Being an NFL GM isn’t difficult...one rule...don’t sign the wrong QB for the wrong money...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Being an NFL GM isn’t difficult...one rule...don’t sign the wrong QB for the wrong money...
    Right? And if you find yourself saying things like "Foles is the missing piece to our championship puzzle" or "Tannehill will certainly continue to put up career best marks as he ages behind the lessened offensive line that we can no longer afford to keep in stellar shape because I am going to pay Tannehill all the money." then you need to submit your resignation letter.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Titans were already planning to let Conklin(25yr old) walk. They didn't pick up his 5th year option which would have paid $12M. They have a 30yr old Center, a 30 yr old LG, and Lewan is 28. Their OL is already in rebuild mode as I type this. Delanie Walker(35yrs old) was recently let go as well giving Jonnu Smith(24) his opportunity. The titans offense has a beast at RB in Henry, and a corps of young studs at WR led by Adam Humphries(26), AJ Brown(22), Corey Davis(25), and Tajae Sharpe(25).

Not disagreeing with your assessment of paying too much for a QB, just maybe a better view of the big picture right now. I live squarely in Titans/Saints country and must keep up with these teams in order to have intelligent conversations with coworkers and such. This is their window of opportunity in their minds. The fanbase is all in on the 2020/2021 seasons especially since most feel they should have beaten the Chiefs in the AFCCG last season. The entire thing rests solely on Tannehill being solid for the next 3 seasons. It's a gamble but it's what you do. Lost their minds? Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Titans were already planning to let Conklin(25yr old) walk. They didn't pick up his 5th year option which would have paid $12M. They have a 30yr old Center, a 30 yr old LG, and Lewan is 28. Their OL is already in rebuild mode as I type this. Delanie Walker(35yrs old) was recently let go as well giving Jonnu Smith(24) his opportunity. The titans offense has a beast at RB in Henry, and a corps of young studs at WR led by Adam Humphries(26), AJ Brown(22), Corey Davis(25), and Tajae Sharpe(25).

Not disagreeing with your assessment of paying too much for a QB, just maybe a better view of the big picture right now. I live squarely in Titans/Saints country and must keep up with these teams in order to have intelligent conversations with coworkers and such. This is their window of opportunity in their minds. The fanbase is all in on the 2020/2021 seasons especially since most feel they should have beaten the Chiefs in the AFCCG last season. The entire thing rests solely on Tannehill being solid for the next 3 seasons. It's a gamble but it's what you do. Lost their minds? Time will tell.
    Sure. You take your shot...but....Tannehill and Henry had the success they had because the offensive line was dominant. It gave Henry holes to rumble through and Tannehill time to hit all those deep play action shots. His average depth of both attempt and completion was really really really high last year. So...pay Tannehill and pay Henry to repeat that pattern behind a lesser line? Sure. That is a plan...

Of course, draft a few good OL prospects and it all works well.