Thread: UPDATE: Goodell says Draft will go on

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

UPDATE: Goodell says Draft will go on

As for the Draft, according to my sources, Las Vegas is already canceled — it just hasn’t been announced yet — and the league will announce the Draft is being postponed until late May at least — as soon as the NFLPA’s decision on the new CBA is announced.

Honestly, I think that’s a mistake. Not the Vegas part, that clearly isn’t going to happen.

But the Draft can go off without a hitch without any public gatherings and studio shows on NFL Network, ESPN, etc., and it would probably be to the benefit of all 32 teams.

https://www.shawmediaillinois.com/20...e-may/aohjd36/
    Last edited by stillers4me; 03-27-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: NFL Has Plans To Delay Draft Until May; Keeping It Secret Until After CBA Vote?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    As for the Draft, according to my sources, Las Vegas is already canceled — it just hasn’t been announced yet — and the league will announce the Draft is being postponed until late May at least — as soon as the NFLPA’s decision on the new CBA is announced.

Honestly, I think that’s a mistake. Not the Vegas part, that clearly isn’t going to happen.

But the Draft can go off without a hitch without any public gatherings and studio shows on NFL Network, ESPN, etc., and it would probably be to the benefit of all 32 teams.

https://www.shawmediaillinois.com/20...e-may/aohjd36/
    LOL - this is not a bunch of guys in a hotel room announcing who they pick

It is a three day media circus that in the last few years has added becoming a public spectacle

Do not see how they can hold it in April but it will be held by June as part of a series of America Is Back Baby spectacles to spin the unpleasantness being in the rear view mirror

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: NFL Has Plans To Delay Draft Until May; Keeping It Secret Until After CBA Vote?

First of all, I don't see why they can't wait to access where things are at in like late March-1st week of April. 2nd of all, they can find a way to do it without too many people. Have teams call in and put Ginger Hammer in a private room with not too many media people (people negative for the virus) and put him in front of cameras and announce the pick there. This is ridiculous. Delaying having players drafted late May will throw everything off.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Agree. They can easily do it remotely or have 40 people in one room hold the draft.

It’s all about the money for the NFL...lol. Who cares what throws what off...just make the bank!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

NFL to close 2020 draft in Las Vegas to public, but event will proceed in April

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/5058844002/

Guess we will find out how valuable the college pro day/in person evaluations matter since most of that is probably not going to be done in the next 5 weeks

Roger getting some blowback on not even a pandemic getting in the way of the NFL's scheduling of offseason events

The NFL plans to stick with its original April 23-25 schedule for this year's draft despite a unanimous recommendation from the league's general manager subcommittee to commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday that it be moved back due to the COVID-19 pandemic, league sources said.

General managers are concerned that, in this current environment, with offseason activities and some teams' facilities closed, there won't be enough time for player physicals, gathering psychological testing, getting further verified information about the players and some teams having to conduct the draft from home.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...recommendation

Owners and Roger have contempt for not just the players but all the hired help - this order to get with the plan or else in response to the GMs recommending the schedule for the draft be pushed back

The NFL draft will go on as scheduled April 23-25, commissioner Roger Goodell said in a leaguewide memo distributed Thursday.

In his memo, obtained by ESPN's Adam Schefter, Goodell served warning to those around the league who criticize the league's stance.

He wrote in the memo, "public discussion of issues relating to the Draft serves no useful purpose and is grounds for disciplinary action."

Because, as always, for the NFL it is all about the fans and America

"I also believe that the Draft can serve a very positive purpose for our clubs, our fans and the country at large, and many of you have agreed," Goodell wrote in the memo.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...dell-memo-says

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: UPDATE: Goodell says Draft will go on

I do agree that the draft should continue as is, but that is taking it too far. It's funny that even in a once in a blue moon occurrence where Roger makes a right decision on something, he still manages to do something wrong in relation to it

Unless you have ever attempted to participate in a multiparty video or teleconference for work from home I cannot imagine why anyone would think this might not go off without a hitch

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think this is awesome. Even if it has glitches and bugs. Every other avenue of sports, pro or other is shut down completely for now. The NFL is trying to find a way to continue in a somewhat normal capacity. At least they are trying. Even if this fails what does that even mean? We don't get to watch each pick as it happens, maybe get picks in 'Twitter' format or something along those lines? Why not hold the draft via some 'Go To Meeting'/Zoom/Facebook Live or whatever? This is the absolute last thing we sports fans can hold on to other than just talking about what we're missing out on. I hope they pull it off. I hope it happens without a single hiccup. But even if it crashes and I have to read about it later I applaud the effort. Thank you NFL for trying to keep some level of normalcy in our sports lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think this is awesome. Even if it has glitches and bugs. Every other avenue of sports, pro or other is shut down completely for now. The NFL is trying to find a way to continue in a somewhat normal capacity. At least they are trying. Even if this fails what does that even mean? We don't get to watch each pick as it happens, maybe get picks in 'Twitter' format or something along those lines? Why not hold the draft via some 'Go To Meeting'/Zoom/Facebook Live or whatever? This is the absolute last thing we sports fans can hold on to other than just talking about what we're missing out on. I hope they pull it off. I hope it happens without a single hiccup. But even if it crashes and I have to read about it later I applaud the effort. Thank you NFL for trying to keep some level of normalcy in our sports lives.
    It would be the most Bengals thing ever if their call to Roger got dropped and time elapsed before they were able to pick Joe Brady and another team got him

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    It would be the most Bengals thing ever if their call to Roger got dropped and time elapsed before they were able to pick Joe Brady and another team got him
    Didn't that just happen recently at the live draft? Ravens maybe?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Vikings... two years in a row.

(2002ish and 2003ish)

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

ZxzZm