Thread: Steelers Get Their 3rd Round Comp Pick

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Steelers Get Their 3rd Round Comp Pick

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/03/st...020-nfl-draft/

Pick 38 in Round 3 or #102 overall.

Pats manage to get 4 picks.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Steelers Get Their 3rd Round Comp Pick

Seems like the Patriots always get their selections spread out into the maximum number of picks, e.g., if they have three shitty players leave, they get three sixth-rounders, when for every other team it would be consolidated into a single fifth-rounder.

Nice to see we lose Bell and get a single R3 pick, they lose a bunch of bullshit and get two R3s plus extras.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Seems like the Patriots always get their selections spread out into the maximum number of picks, e.g., if they have three shitty players leave, they get three sixth-rounders, when for every other team it would be consolidated into a single fifth-rounder.

Nice to see we lose Bell and get a single R3 pick, they lose a bunch of bullshit and get two R3s plus extras.
    Yeah, its kind of confusing how all of that works. Definitely seems shady, but we're a biased fan base. I want to with hold judgement, but it seems sketchy.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

The Pats gets comp picks because they let good starters walk. Lost starting tackle Trent Brown, pass rusher Trey Flowers, and starting DT Malcolm Brown.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    The Pats gets comp picks because they let good starters walk. Lost starting tackle Trent Brown, pass rusher Trey Flowers, and starting DT Malcolm Brown.
    You serious? Nobody cares about any of those bums.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Starters or not isn’t important. It’s a money formula.

X - Y

number of dollars that a team’s free agents get signed for minus number of dollars a team signs during free agency

Bell signing for a big contract outweighed the signing of Nelson by enough to warrant a R3 comp pick. I’m not sure that the Taperiots losing Brown, Flowers, & Brown was twice as much as what Bell signed for. I do know that if AB had stayed one more week, it would have been disastrous for the Tapes (for many reasons... including comp picks), which shows how fickle the comp pick formula can indeed be.

The Ravens and Taperiots are experts at trading for low-level players (as opposed to signing free agents). Trading R6 picks, who play fir a few seasons, and then leave for bigger money has allowed both teams to essentially trade R6 picks for R4 picks (and this year, for multiple R3 picks). Similarly, for the Steelers, it’ll be interesting to see what Varrett gets as a free agent; maybe it’ll be enough to get a R4 pick.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You serious? Nobody cares about any of those bums.
    The three contracts that signed them do and that’s what matters...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

They know to work the system.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Well, this is what everyone hoped for and expected. 102 overall? #49, #102, #124(I think). Can still get some good talent in those picks.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 03-13-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Yeah, its kind of confusing how all of that works. Definitely seems shady, but we're a biased fan base. I want to with hold judgement, but it seems sketchy.
    Art II doesn't know how to grease Goodell's palm the way that rub-n-tug Krafty does. In a business as shady as the NFL, there are those who know how to play the system and those who know how to get played.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    They know to work the system.
    Well when you get the benefit of all the bad calls you don't need to have a bunch of good players. The biggest farce of a SB was the last one the cheats played vs the rams. Both teams benefited from lousy calls and neither team belonged to be there.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I'll take the comp pick. We need it. I still think the Steelers could have asked Bell to sign, and then traded him for better than the 102nd overall pick.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I will never understand the finacials of NFL. I am just here for the football!

Lets shore up the O line. Possible Grab TE and RB. Not mad at the idea of taking a QB either, regardless of the fact that the front office says they are comfortable.

No lie... I love Jalen Hurts at the right round and price.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I'll take the comp pick. We need it. I still think the Steelers could have asked Bell to sign, and then traded him for better than the 102nd overall pick.
    The problem with that was, once the negotiation deadline passed in like July, by league rule he could only sign the franchise tag or a one-year deal higher than the franchise tag. No multi-year deals, and a new team would be forbidden from extending him either.

That absolutely killed his trade value, because how much would anyone be willing to give up for a guy who HAS to become an unrestricted free agent, and who had made it clear that his current situation was motivated by totally unrealistic contract demands, so your odds of retaining him were low and also incredibly expensive. Not to mention he gave every appearance of being out of shape, not giving a fuck, and quite likely smoking enough weed to immediately fail a league drug test.

We weren't getting shit for that guy, he made sure of that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I still think the Steelers could have asked Bell to sign, and then traded him for better than the 102nd overall pick.
    I know, right. Colbert should have signed Bell, convinced another team to simply take on the signing bonus, and recouped an early R1 pick. Heck, maybe even two R1 picks... since Bell was both a RB and a WR. It’s so simple.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I know, right. Colbert should have signed Bell, convinced another team to simply take on the signing bonus, and recouped an early R1 pick. Heck, maybe even two R1 picks... since Bell was both a RB and a WR. It’s so simple.
    There you go...out smarting Colbert again...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

So the Steelers get a comp draft pick and the thread instantly turns into complaints about New England getting comp picks. Me thinks he doth protest too much.

Steelers should be able to get a good player with that 3rd round pick. Whether its on the line(s), edge rusher, TE, WR, they can use the depth.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

you're so uninformed, do you even know how much the franchise tag $$$ amount would have been had we franchised Leave'on again?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    you're so uninformed, do you even know how much the franchise tag $$$ amount would have been had we franchised Leave'on again?
    Please explain why Bel could not have been a sign and trade before the deadline? Bell was about the MONEY. Another team could have offered him more. Also how do knew what I do and do not know. Read below for your #'s

"On March 6, 2018, the Steelers placed the franchise tag on Bell for the second straight year worth $14.5 million. Bell refused to sign the franchise tag and did not attend any team activities after contract negotiations stalled on July 16."

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Please explain why Bel could not have been a sign and trade before the deadline? Bell was about the MONEY. Another team could have offered him more. Also how do knew what I do and do not know. Read below for your #'s

"On March 6, 2018, the Steelers placed the franchise tag on Bell for the second straight year worth $14.5 million. Bell refused to sign the franchise tag and did not attend any team activities after contract negotiations stalled on July 16."

Do you know whose cap sheet all that money stays on? Look into that and you will likely have your answers.