Page 17 of 73 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    IMO... a lot. You can't discount what he has brought to the table. You may not agree with him, but he has made a viable argument about the wholesale cower in fear thing. I probably tend to agree with him more than I disagree. I think the welfare of the country/economy may very well be a bit more important than the total (OMG) response of the powers that be outlook on this. At what point is this worth destroying a vibrant economy? Discounting political beliefs. At what point do we deem acceptable the damage this inflicts on all of our financial well being?
    Agree on the wholesale fear thing and the destruction of the economy part. That said, at what point do we stop though and agree this is bigger than WE can possibly know? Think about the major league sports plus NCAA that has not paused, but shut down. These owners are VERY rich people. They did not get rich by panic or being used as pawns in some political game. I THINK, they have been told enough of the truth to understand the gravity of this better than you and I or other posters on this board. Just on that point alone I see more of a threat than do you or SR apparently. I do not wish to debate or argue point for point because that leads to absolutely nothing, and one or both of us having to apologize, and Raiders and Steelers fans just don't do that. I say go see your girlfriend. Go to work as long as they allow it. Live life, just use the cautions and guidelines because there is more to come of this. This is not the apex.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I take that as a good indicator that I'm on the right track. Thanks!

Look, here's my deal. At the very start of this, I was, like many, convinced this was overblown and hopefully much ado about nothing. Clearly it turned out to be something that should be taken more seriously than that, and there is no doubt about that, which I have freely admitted. I believe that is reflected in the type of stuff I have been arguing for or against over time (it has changed, believe it or not, from approximately "it's all bullshit" to "be reasonable, not crazy".)

It is probably very easy to interpret that as simply being consistently "against" whoever or whatever is calling the shots, because I was against what was being done then, and I am against what is being done now. Although I can see how it could come off that way, that is not exactly it either. I was skeptical of the (now comparatively moderate) measures about a month ago as out of proportion to what was going on at the time. I probably would not be too skeptical of that anymore. The reason why I do remain opposed to what is going on now is not because it is out of proportion to the current situation, but because it is out of proportion to any situation at all.

That is possibly just a matter of personal preference and tolerances. The medical worst case, to me, is probably not worse than the medically ordered lockdown. We long ago passed the point at which you cut your losses and say "you know what, this sucks, but there is only so much you can do before you are acting crazy, so we stop here and hopefully we can still avoid the absolute worst of it."

Here is the part that I think does not compute for some: Are you crazy? What if that means half a million dead? And the answer is: Then it means half a million dead. But you wouldn't even try to stop it? You have to! Well, not exactly. You try to stop it, but you admit your limitations. You're advocating for letting thousands of people just DIE? No, not advocating. Accepting it while doing the best within reason. It may be appalling to many, but yes, to me, something on the order of half a million or a million people dead can indeed still fall under the category "shit you just can't control," and crossing that line that you shouldn't can well be quixotic.

But that's the worst case, and the other big thing is - as you may have guessed - I tend to be extremely skeptical of the worst case. Way back toward the start of this argument, I believe I said something to the effect of, "Even if I am wrong about it blowing over, the real answer is probably not the worst case, it is somewhere in between." And despite everything, in a very general unscientific sense, that is STILL what appears to be playing out. It's never been the best case, but it's never been anywhere near the worst case either. So while it may be a dumb, completely

Adding to that skepticism of the worst case is the fact that the media has done about everything possible in the past several years to destroy any semblance of trust or credibility that it possessed, and it makes it difficult to know what is real or not. Figuring out what is bullshit and what is not has become a huge portion - probably more than half now - of reading the news, in many cases more important than what is actually printed. That is a huge problem, and really lends itself to the type of panic and confusion that abounds, not to mention the general acrimony and distrust. There are also many people who, for a variety of reasons, have clearly been chomping at the bit for something like this to happen, and are practically nutting in their pants at the chance to push it. Typing that makes me feel almost a bit tinfoil-hatty, but I don't think I have completely lost my mind yet.

The bottom line is that I do not think I know more about science than a scientist, or more about medicine than a doctor (although some people I went to school with, who later became doctors or lawyers, are the kind of people where you go "wait, THAT guy's a doctor?") ... but there really IS so much bullshit out there that once it all filters through, it is difficult to take a lot of it seriously. Usually, it is not that I am fighting with a medical expert, I am fighting with a journalist and whatever his or her own personal take on the facts is. Do I know enough to win that fight? You're goddamn right about that.

Anyway, I hope that at least explains where I am coming from, and that it is not just "all these experts with fancy degrees are idiots spouting bullshit, and I'm the only one who knows anything." That's kind of dumb. Knowing better than a journalist or a politician, though, or thinking that they might be spewing bullshit? Not a stretch at all.
    I can get behind a great deal of that. Your most recent presentation comes across far different than most of your previous stuff did. At least to my reading.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Proud that the Governor of my state is taking a run at Florida's governor for most obtuse response to the crisis

Georgia beaches reopening as of Friday night

Some of the state’s most popular beaches will be allowed to reopen Friday night due to Gov. Brian Kemp’s statewide order superseding that of some city-level shelter-in-place mandates.

“The Governor’s Executive Order suspends the enforcement of any local ordinance or order adopted or issued since March 1, 2020, that relates to COVID-19,” said Josh Hildebrandt, director of public and governmental affairs for DNR. “This Executive Order thus lifted any local ordinances or orders that had closed or restricted access to Georgia beaches.”

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ge...hp7Yd8tDZlZdN/

Georgia finally got around to issuing its statewide shelter in place order this week after the Guv found out the virus can be transmitted by those who are asymptomatic

After resisting a statewide stay-at-home order for days, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) succumbed to the pressure and issued one on Wednesday. Part of the reason, he said, was that he had just learned some new information.

Kemp said he was “finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...mptomatically/

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m getting pissed, because “young people” are posting on social media drinking in BIG groups in golf course parking lots to put in the “big man’s” face. This was after our governor said that golfing was a good way to exercise and isolate and be social. Much more of that......and they will shut them down.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The season will be different in that there won’t be one. We’ll all be telling our grandchildren about back when there used to be sports.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I’m getting pissed, because “young people” are posting on social media drinking in BIG groups in golf course parking lots to put in the “big man’s” face. This was after our governor said that golfing was a good way to exercise and isolate and be social. Much more of that......and they will shut them down.
    I just got done playing golf. I watched two groups of 4 get kicked off the course for not following the protocal. It isn't hard... walk or one cart per person... 6' away, pin stays in. We are going to lose the privilege to play golf if people can't follow even the simplest of rules.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The season will be different in that there won’t be one. We’ll all be telling our grandchildren about back when there used to be sports.
    The reality the 2020 seasons may be going down the drain is increasingly likely

NBA reportedly looking at cancelling 2020 season rather than conducting some sort of playoff

The talks between the players union and the league this week, I've talked to both sides of this issue, and it is clear that the NBA is angling to set up a deal that enables them to shut the season down...

Among the problems currently preventing a renewed season are limited testing capabilities, the issues that quarantining players in a single location would create and the integrity of next season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...n-report-says/

NHL is in the same boat as the NBA, with one issue for those two leagues being how much downtime do you allow between the end of the 2020 season and the start of the 2020-21 season

MLB can delay start of a shorter season until early summer and the NFL has until September to bite the bullet (although the NFL's contention this week its schedule will include international games is ludicrous)

But leaving aside the "novel corona will not hurt me" subset of the fanbases, how many season ticketholders, who skew older than the general population, will want to join big crowds at the games without an available vaccine as the virus returns for an encore appearance this fall

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I just got done playing golf. I watched two groups of 4 get kicked off the course for not following the protocal. It isn't hard... walk or one cart per person... 6' away, pin stays in. We are going to lose the privilege to play golf if people can't follow even the simplest of rules.
    That’s what I’m afraid of. Where I play, people are doing a pretty good job, so far, but state wide I have my doubts.

Roger and his consigliere Jeff Pash probably not thrilled to read this

Last edited by AtlantaDan; 04-04-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Roger and his consigliere Jeff Pash probably not thrilled to read this

"There is no worse mistake in public leadership than to hold out false hopes soon to be swept away. The ......... people can face peril or misfortune with fortitude and buoyancy, but they bitterly resent being deceived or finding that those responsible for their affairs are themselves dwelling in a fools' paradise." -- Winston Spencer Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    "There is no worse mistake in public leadership than to hold out false hopes soon to be swept away. The ......... people can face peril or misfortune with fortitude and buoyancy, but they bitterly resent being deceived or finding that those responsible for their affairs are themselves dwelling in a fools' paradise." -- Winston Spencer Churchill.
    Any Churchill quotes on restoring tax deductions for business entertainment expenses being the way forward to increase attendance at pro sports events to get through The Blitz & Battle of Britain?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Man.................... you guys just keep butting heads about everything to do with this.

I will put myself out there.... I think all of you have viable arguments. I will say that I fall more in line with steelreserve. Having said that... I do think we need to be cautious. I also don't think we should be destroying the economy over it. I just got home from my GF's house..... breaking the law! I'm not really all that worried. Call me/say what you want. I will go on record as to agreeing with steelresrve... a little more than the rest of you. I guess I'm a criminal now?
    Come on, man.

No one is saying you can’t see your girlfriend. You are expected to see those at your core. You are going to see her. That is expected. What is a bad idea is for you & your girlfriend to host a party... or a BBQ... or go to a bar... or drink from other people’s glasses.

Think about it like HIV. The more people to whom you are exposed to, the more likely you are to contract the virus. Seeing your girlfriend is expected. Seeing your mom can be expected, but only if you need to do so. (I’m not saying we should have sex with our moms... although, I am from West Virginia. ) My brother & his wife are the only “outside” people who see his mother-in-law. She’s undergoing chemotherapy, but she needs supplies. She has to see someone; so, my brother & his wife are the only people she sees... thus reducing the number of exposures to the virus.

Back to you & your girlfriend...
    I saw a math problem that showed for each person, it’s an exposure factor of 1.3. After five days, your exposure risk is a total of 3.71 (1.3 to the 5th power). Not bad. Now, imagine if you were hosting parties every night... for ten people. That’s 1.3 for each guest, making the factor 13. After five days, your risk factor is 371,000.

It is not simply 3.71 x 10. It’s is exponential... and quickly goes from 3.71 to 371,000.

SUMMATION:
    We are expected to see our loved ones. It is certainly not illegal. What is asinine is people having group gatherings. (Make sense?) And, since people could not understand the difference, the Government was forced to start handing out fines.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

THIS is exactly what I have been talking about.

For example, at first the beaches were open. But, people crowded into them like it was summer. The cops warned them to separate... and people ignored them. Voila!!! the beaches got closed.

There was a beach in PLACE* open, because people were staying away from each other. That said, people would group up, the cops would warn them to separate, and as soon as the cops walked away, they grouped up again. The cops kept telling people, “If you won’t stop grouping up, we will have to close this beach, too.” Most people listened, but there was one group giving lip to the cops.

What... the... fuck!?!

*I won’t say the name, because I don’t want anyone flooding the one last beach that is open.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    SUMMATION:
    We are expected to see our loved ones. It is certainly not illegal. What is asinine is people having group gatherings. (Make sense?) And, since people could not understand the difference, the Government was forced to start handing out fines.
    On a purely legal or procedural basis, I hope somebody sues the shit out of them for this and wins, and that there are further repercussions like people being removed from public office.

You cannot, absolutely cannot just ignore fundamental rights that are very clearly defined in the core of the U.S. Constitution. It may be foolish to "peaceably assemble" under the current circumstances, and an excellent suggestion to avoid it, but it says it right there: You have the right to do it.

It does not say freedom of assembly "except for partying," or "as long as it's safe," or "except in emergencies." It says what it says, and it doesn't say what it doesn't say. Absent a real declaration of martial law, they have no basis for doing that, and even then not for long.

Why is it important to protect the right to stupid behavior? It's not - the behavior itself is not defensible, and surely anyone can see why it is an excellent suggestion not to do it. But the entire point is that all it is ALLOWED to be is just that, a suggestion. That does not mean I would go out and actually do these things, or advocate that others do them, but it is important to draw that line.

People will say it gets into tinfoil hat territory to bring up "the slippery slope" e.g., if they take away the right to this one stupid behavior that nobody appreciates, but is nonetheless our right, then what's to stop them from doing the same for any other rights? And the answer to that is, yes and no. Many things in that line of argument would be crazy to expect, but others not so much. They have already suspended the right to a speedy trial, for instance, in many areas including this one, by redefining "speedy" as "whenever we feel like it's reasonable to get to it." Weeks? Months? Who knows, sit there in jail until we decide it's safe. (I hope someone takes them to task over that one day too.)

Is it reasonable or paranoid to think that they could attempt to suspend the rest of the First Amendment, for instance? Well, many places have banned religious services and used law enforcement to stop them and fine or detain the leaders. Another big no-no that passed by mostly unnoticed and generally gained nods of approval. Is it inconceivable that they could suspend free speech or the free press - "It is now illegal to spread information about the virus that is false as we deem it?" Not really out of the realm of possibility if you ask me. Take away firearms - already some attempts to do that. Could it be used to cancel elections - well, certain states with upcoming primaries are already being criticized for not calling them off.

So as crazy as the initial argument might sound, if these kinds of things are now open to interpretation, what's NOT on the table? Remember, these are "unprecedented times."

In my mind, anything other than a hard no on all of them would be a horrible precedent. You allow that can of worms to be opened, and in the future you're just talking about what constitutes "enough" of an emergency and who deems it so. And there will be people seeking to push it further and further, and with smaller and smaller "emergencies," for the simple reason that those kinds of people exist. That is not as crazy as it may seem either, when you account for the fact that the event that blew the lid off it THIS time, at the end of the day, is still a disease with a 99 percent survival rate. Pretty alarming in those terms.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Lets bring another aspect into this. I'm not disputing the necessity of the SAH decrees or the social distancing. The medical people are on a mission with tunnel vision as to how to coral this thing... I get it, and I respect that. What gets poo pooed is the other part of this.... the mental well being of people and the absolute NEED to make money! None of the cash payouts from the Gov, are going to cover anyone's bills. State unemployment pays shit... even if you get the maximum allowed.

Is this total shut down worth the price?... Suicides, divorces, drug and alcohol addictions probably doubling??? Note.... this is just my sort of drunk thoughts.

The way this Pandemic id =s being handled should more of a two tiered deal than the all out medical tunnel vision that it is. There is way more at stake than just the Coronavirus to deal with.... and it isn't being dealt with... IMO.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

All golf courses are closed in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Trump told Goofdell, today, that the NFL Season should start on time...for whatever that is worth...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...er-report/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Trump told Goofdell, today, that the NFL Season should start on time...for whatever that is worth...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/p...er-report/amp/
    I would argue it is less than a warm cup of Covid-19 laced spit. This is the same dude who said EVERYTHING would be open again by Easter.

On a purely legal or procedural basis, I hope somebody sues the shit out of them for this and wins, and that there are further repercussions like people being removed from public office.

You cannot, absolutely cannot just ignore fundamental rights that are very clearly defined in the core of the U.S. Constitution. It may be foolish to "peaceably assemble" under the current circumstances, and an excellent suggestion to avoid it, but it says it right there: You have the right to do it.

It does not say freedom of assembly "except for partying," or "as long as it's safe," or "except in emergencies." It says what it says, and it doesn't say what it doesn't say. Absent a real declaration of martial law, they have no basis for doing that, and even then not for long.

Why is it important to protect the right to stupid behavior? It's not - the behavior itself is not defensible, and surely anyone can see why it is an excellent suggestion not to do it. But the entire point is that all it is ALLOWED to be is just that, a suggestion. That does not mean I would go out and actually do these things, or advocate that others do them, but it is important to draw that line.

People will say it gets into tinfoil hat territory to bring up "the slippery slope" e.g., if they take away the right to this one stupid behavior that nobody appreciates, but is nonetheless our right, then what's to stop them from doing the same for any other rights? And the answer to that is, yes and no. Many things in that line of argument would be crazy to expect, but others not so much. They have already suspended the right to a speedy trial, for instance, in many areas including this one, by redefining "speedy" as "whenever we feel like it's reasonable to get to it." Weeks? Months? Who knows, sit there in jail until we decide it's safe. (I hope someone takes them to task over that one day too.)

Is it reasonable or paranoid to think that they could attempt to suspend the rest of the First Amendment, for instance? Well, many places have banned religious services and used law enforcement to stop them and fine or detain the leaders. Another big no-no that passed by mostly unnoticed and generally gained nods of approval. Is it inconceivable that they could suspend free speech or the free press - "It is now illegal to spread information about the virus that is false as we deem it?" Not really out of the realm of possibility if you ask me. Take away firearms - already some attempts to do that. Could it be used to cancel elections - well, certain states with upcoming primaries are already being criticized for not calling them off.

So as crazy as the initial argument might sound, if these kinds of things are now open to interpretation, what's NOT on the table? Remember, these are "unprecedented times."

In my mind, anything other than a hard no on all of them would be a horrible precedent. You allow that can of worms to be opened, and in the future you're just talking about what constitutes "enough" of an emergency and who deems it so. And there will be people seeking to push it further and further, and with smaller and smaller "emergencies," for the simple reason that those kinds of people exist. That is not as crazy as it may seem either, when you account for the fact that the event that blew the lid off it THIS time, at the end of the day, is still a disease with a 99 percent survival rate. Pretty alarming in those terms.
    Hyperbole

Can one carry a gun on an airplane? in court?

Can one assemble and play loud music at 4:00am in any suburban street?

Can one yell “FIRE!!!” in a crowded movie theater? Can one yell “BOMB!!!” on a plane? Can one threaten to assassinate the POTUS?

Can one threaten to assassinate the POTUS?
    I think Madonna already tried that??? lol.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Hyperbole

Can one carry a gun on an airplane? in court?

Can one assemble and play loud music at 4:00am in any suburban street?

Can one yell “FIRE!!!” in a crowded movie theater? Can one yell “BOMB!!!” on a plane? Can one threaten to assassinate the POTUS?
    Is an airplane or a crowded theater everywhere, at all times, indefinitely?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Is an airplane or a crowded theater everywhere, at all times, indefinitely?
    Exactly. There are times/conditions when laws are amended. Now... is one of those times.

Exactly. There are times/conditions when laws are amended. Now... is one of those times.
    Then you amend them. Or, if you prefer, there is a process in place that allows limited emergency power to temporarily suspend laws and rights. That is called martial law, and it can be declared, subject to intense scrutiny and review.

So far, it has not been declared, so the bad precedent being set is that one guy can raise his hand and declare, "Emergency!" and then do whatever the hell he wants for as long as he wants.

If it is something that will last days, that is what those powers are for. If it is going to go on for MONTHS, then there is abundant time to follow a non-dictatorial process, and quite frankly, that is what ought to be forced to happen for questions like these.

Surely you can see the difference between "Behavior such as actively causing violence is clearly not included among your rights" ... and, "Experts say this could make you more likely to get sick, so we are taking the step of removing your rights."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I literally copied and pasted the first thing from Google searching "state emergency powers"

https://www.akingump.com/en/news-ins...al-limits.html

Seems like states have pretty sweeping mandates baked in.

Then you amend them. Or, if you prefer, there is a process in place that allows limited emergency power to temporarily suspend laws and rights. That is called martial law, and it can be declared, subject to intense scrutiny and review.

So far, it has not been declared, so the bad precedent being set is that one guy can raise his hand and declare, "Emergency!" and then do whatever the hell he wants for as long as he wants.

If it is something that will last days, that is what those powers are for. If it is going to go on for MONTHS, then there is abundant time to follow a non-dictatorial process, and quite frankly, that is what ought to be forced to happen for questions like these.

Surely you can see the difference between "Behavior such as actively causing violence is clearly not included among your rights" ... and, "Experts say this could make you more likely to get sick, so we are taking the step of removing your rights."
    COPS: Act reasonably.
    ASSHAT: No

COPS: Please, don’t congregate.

COPS: Okay then... “SAH” in effect.

COPS: Stop congregating, or we’ll close the beach.

COPS: Ugh, fine... beaches closed. Go home.

COPS: Go home, or we’ll have to start fines.

COPS: Beaches. Are. Closed. Leave or be fined.
    ASSHAT: Waaaa!!!

So far, no actual fines have been levied. Regardless, let’s assume that they have. Okay. As you said, in this situation, “martial” law was imposed... because, people refused to act reasonably. It wasn’t the authoritarian tactics you describe where suddenly the Government has taken away every single one of your rights. Along those same lines, it wasn’t a guy screaming “Emergency!!!” and acting hyperbolically.

Surely you can see that both scenarios are for safety. In one case, yelling “FIRE!!! would cause people to end up in the hospital. Likewise, people congregating when it’s deemed best not do so would also result in people ending up in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I literally copied and pasted the first thing from Google searching "state emergency powers"

https://www.akingump.com/en/news-ins...al-limits.html

Seems like states have pretty sweeping mandates baked in.
    Unless you are reading a completely different document than the one in that link, what it says is that all state's emergency powers are limited by the state and federal constitutions and subject to judicial review. Did I miss something?

(Again, please keep in mind that I am not advocating for people to actually go and do stupid shit; I think everyone is roughly aware of what is reckless.

But to take it to the extreme - if I took it upon myself to find a guy who was infected with the coronavirus, paid him to cough and spit all over me, and then gave him a rimjob for good measure ... then I would be well within my rights to do that. If I then went and carelessly exposed other people to it, I would not.

What they really ought to be doing when they catch people doing something like that is finding out who they are and keeping tabs on them. They want to pass a law saying it's punishable by a fine or jail time to knowingly expose others to the virus, I am all for that. They want to keep the recommendations in place to stay away from people, that's fine too. But you see the difference between that and just going straight to ruling by decree open-endedly. At this point they have the time to start thinking about the "correct" way to carry out their response without just flat-out ignoring every single restraint on government. They are not just suggestions. IMHO, at least.)
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Surely you can see that both scenarios are for safety. In one case, yelling “FIRE!!! would cause people to end up in the hospital. Likewise, people congregating when it’s deemed best not do so would also result in people ending up in the hospital.
    Like I said, it is not smart to do any of those things. But the general appeal "it's for safety" is not, and has been held many times not to be, sufficient to just ignore limits on government power.

This IMO is expanding the definition of what constitutes an "overriding emergency" too far for comfort. Not in terms of taking action, but in terms of suspending the Constitution. Lots of things are unsafe, but for the most part the only time it's A-OK to ignore otherwise-guaranteed rights is in the case of imminent violence.

It's not that they should not be telling people to stop gathering in crowds on the beach, or that anyone with a brain should not listen to that, or even that they should not make a law closing the beach if that's necessary. Want to make it so that anyone being reckless gets mandatory testing, house arrest until they do get tested, and last priority for treatment, ok by me. What is not OK is that it is done by decree, that shit needs to be over and done with.

And even then, there are some things, like my coughing and rimjob example, where I really DON'T think they have any business telling you what to do even if it is unsafe, so long as you accept the consequences and don't drag others into it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Like I said, it is not smart to do any of those things. But the general appeal "it's for safety" is not, and has been held many times not to be, sufficient to just ignore limits on government power.

This IMO is expanding the definition of what constitutes an "overriding emergency" too far for comfort. Not in terms of taking action, but in terms of suspending the Constitution. Lots of things are unsafe, but for the most part the only time it's A-OK to ignore otherwise-guaranteed rights is in the case of imminent violence.

It's not that they should not be telling people to stop gathering in crowds on the beach, or that anyone with a brain should not listen to that, or even that they should not make a law closing the beach if that's necessary. Want to make it so that anyone being reckless gets mandatory testing, house arrest until they do get tested, and last priority for treatment, ok by me. What is not OK is that it is done by decree, that shit needs to be over and done with.

And even then, there are some things, like my coughing and rimjob example, where I really DON'T think they have any business telling you what to do even if it is unsafe, so long as you accept the consequences and don't drag others into it.
    But, they are.

Time. I hear your side about decrees, but it would take a long time to get “laws” in place. Again, it’s “martial law” for this one thing. One. No one is saying you can’t still give a homeless man a rimjob... as long as you wash your hands afterwards and stay 6 feet away from others once you are done.

btw: San Diego Sheriffs Department issued 22 citations tonight (for people congregating at the beach). No word on whether rimjobs were involved.

Unless you are reading a completely different document than the one in that link, what it says is that all state's emergency powers are limited by the state and federal constitutions and subject to judicial review. Did I miss something?

(Again, please keep in mind that I am not advocating for people to actually go and do stupid shit; I think everyone is roughly aware of what is reckless.

But to take it to the extreme - if I took it upon myself to find a guy who was infected with the coronavirus, paid him to cough and spit all over me, and then gave him a rimjob for good measure ... then I would be well within my rights to do that. If I then went and carelessly exposed other people to it, I would not.

What they really ought to be doing when they catch people doing something like that is finding out who they are and keeping tabs on them. They want to pass a law saying it's punishable by a fine or jail time to knowingly expose others to the virus, I am all for that. They want to keep the recommendations in place to stay away from people, that's fine too. But you see the difference between that and just going straight to ruling by decree open-endedly. At this point they have the time to start thinking about the "correct" way to carry out their response without just flat-out ignoring every single restraint on government. They are not just suggestions. IMHO, at least.)
    I read it REALLY quick. While drinking. But I took it to mean during an emergency in specific situations constitutional elements are set aside.

It wasn't clear how that works.

To be fair, people have been struggling with this since Cincinnatus at his plow.

But, they are.

Time. I hear your side about decrees, but it would take a long time to get “laws” in place. Again, it’s “martial law” for this one thing. One. No one is saying you can’t still give a homeless man a rimjob... as long as you wash your hands afterwards and stay 6 feet away from others once you are done.

btw: San Diego Sheriffs Department issued 22 citations tonight (for people congregating at the beach). No word on whether rimjobs were involved.

Well, I hear Rimjob Steve usually hangs around by Mission Beach, so I can only hope he made it out in one piece.
    See you Space Cowboy ...