Page 61 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2167

Thread: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    And this is the part that is ridiculous. The assumption that you're POV is the majority. There is a great deal of data to indicate that it isn't. At best the country is split in half.

BUT...BUT...everyone I know thinks like I do. Look at this message board, MojoUW and Tom are the only ones who disagree with me. And those guys suck!

Cool! Sample size? Selection bias? I mean, outside of this message board, I don't interact with anyone who would agree with a word of what you're saying. Does that mean you are the minority POV?

I am repeatedly told I am an intolerant liberal seeking to browbeat everyone into agreement with my warped POV and political philosophies. That I need to realize that few people agree with my worldview and that I better back off and get on board with how things work. But, at every damn turn in the road, the other side angrily screams that they don't have to even countenance that there are other points of view and millions of people who agree with those points of view. They can just reject that POV and its adherents as radicals, sheep, fools, evil, or whatever allows them to marginalize and ridicule it.

Honestly, that is why I post incessantly and annoyingly on this side of the board. It is total bullshit that one side is allowed to assume the fundamental righteousness and correctness of everything and anything they advocate for and the other is held to a totally different standard and asked to assume they are wrong and the opposition is correct. Why do I have to start with the idea that whatever conservatives or libertarians believe is the fundamental unchanging fabric of America and what it means to be American while liberals are evil agents seeking to destroy those concepts?
    You are correct that a frightening number of people agree with the leftist point of view. That does not mean that such a cult mentality is viable, rational, or positive just because there are a lot of people in it.

Liberalism has undergone a dramatic change since the turn of the century. Instead of wanting openness, equality, and inclusiveness, it now wants conformity, targeted bias, and above all, control. Instead of being based around compassion, positivity, and tolerance, it is now based around anger, jealousy, and hatred. Instead of aiming to lift up those who are down, it has become a cult of misery that aims to tear down anyone who is not also miserable, so that everyone can be miserable together.

What I am saying is: Take a look around you, here in the year 2020. Does anyone want this shit? Of course not. Now, why did it happen? Few people would say it just happened on its own, just "because." And you would have to be a really hardcore leftist to actually believe that it is the doing of conservatives.

What is really going on is that 2020 would have probably been a completely normal year if not for liberal tantrum-throwing. I think a lot of people can see that, and it is eye-opening proof of what a toxic and disgusting ideology is at work. So this is almost certain to drive people away from the left in huge numbers, except for hardcore adherents and the very stupid or easily manipulated. If you are not all-in on leftism, and you can also think for yourself, you are done with that shit for life right about now.

So, the poll numbers that show Democrat Placeholder leading. Let's think about that for a second. Which political party actively silences and cancels opposition? What effect is that likely to have on members of the other party openly expressing their support? It is 2016 all over again, only the censorship and cancel culture have been turned up into overdrive. That is all right out in the open too, sowing even more resentment. All those people not talking about it? Yeah, it's not because they agree with it, it's because you have made the political climate so toxic that a lot of people are not even going to answer anonymous questions over the phone, in case, say, their kids overhear it, and it gets repeated at school, and next thing you know, your car is vandalized.

The poll numbers are good cover in the event that the inevitable attempt at major election fraud is successful, but that is about it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

And this is the part that is ridiculous. The assumption that you're POV is the majority. There is a great deal of data to indicate that it isn't. At best the country is split in half.

BUT...BUT...everyone I know thinks like I do. Look at this message board, MojoUW and Tom are the only ones who disagree with me. And those guys suck!

Cool! Sample size? Selection bias? I mean, outside of this message board, I don't interact with anyone who would agree with a word of what you're saying. Does that mean you are the minority POV?

I am repeatedly told I am an intolerant liberal seeking to browbeat everyone into agreement with my warped POV and political philosophies. That I need to realize that few people agree with my worldview and that I better back off and get on board with how things work. But, at every damn turn in the road, the other side angrily screams that they don't have to even countenance that there are other points of view and millions of people who agree with those points of view. They can just reject that POV and its adherents as radicals, sheep, fools, evil, or whatever allows them to marginalize and ridicule it.

Honestly, that is why I post incessantly and annoyingly on this side of the board. It is total bullshit that one side is allowed to assume the fundamental righteousness and correctness of everything and anything they advocate for and the other is held to a totally different standard and asked to assume they are wrong and the opposition is correct. Why do I have to start with the idea that whatever conservatives or libertarians believe is the fundamental unchanging fabric of America and what it means to be American while liberals are evil agents seeking to destroy those concepts?
    I would count my self in this side as well . I just don't have the energy to fight with those how think debates are ( we are right , you are EVIL ) nonsense . You can keep trying .

Steelreserve has made a lot of statements , I will pick a few and see where it go's .
    " most of whom were near death anyway "
    " it is just an ordinary disease like many others "
    " Either you will get the coronavirus or you won't "
    " somebody made snap decisions based on incorrect information back in March "
    " If you tried to prevent everything that killed "a lot" of people, you could only do it by ruining the whole world "
    " If you told me wearing a silly hat could prevent people from dying "

ok and I say here is my take ,

lightning strikes in large city , fires brakes out 1000s will die if we don't put it out ..

fire well ( " it is just an ordinary disease like many others " )

1000s dying ( " most of whom were near death anyway " ) , ( " Either you will get the coronavirus or you won't " )

put it out ( " If you tried to prevent everything that killed "a lot" of people, you could only do it by ruining the whole world " )

we could have prevented the mass death by doing fire prevention ( " If you told me wearing a silly hat could prevent people from dying " )

people should have been told to get out of the city early ( " somebody made snap decisions based on incorrect information back in March " ) .

or I will go with a oldie

when I lived in Memphis TN , it snowed , a city of 1 million stayed home . I was told " god put it there god will take it away " , my answer , if a bird fly's over and shits in your hair do you wait for a rain storm to wash it out ?
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ok. So why does it mean that your side is whatever positive words you put on it because many agree with it?

I know lots of people who are just as outraged and emotionally unhinged about the American Right as you are about the Left.

I ain't trying to change your opinion or your POV. Just trying to have you acknowledge that in our big wide complex world there is plenty of room for multiple POVs and ideas on how things work. And a great % of the super yelly stuff you send the way of liberalism, can just be reversed and sent right back.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Things are dicey now, and it is because people like you have found a way to force everyone else to live inside their liberal fantasy shitworld.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the pandemic.

You're just gone Pal. Completely out of it. I'm not even going to waste my time.
    Last edited by tom444; 08-02-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

You are correct that a frightening number of people agree with the leftist point of view. That does not mean that such a cult mentality is viable, rational, or positive just because there are a lot of people in it.

Liberalism has undergone a dramatic change since the turn of the century. Instead of wanting openness, equality, and inclusiveness, it now wants conformity, targeted bias, and above all, control. Instead of being based around compassion, positivity, and tolerance, it is now based around anger, jealousy, and hatred. Instead of aiming to lift up those who are down, it has become a cult of misery that aims to tear down anyone who is not also miserable, so that everyone can be miserable together.
    That's pretty much the way I see it too.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Ok. So why does it mean that your side is whatever positive words you put on it because many agree with it?

I know lots of people who are just as outraged and emotionally unhinged about the American Right as you are about the Left.

I ain't trying to change your opinion or your POV. Just trying to have you acknowledge that in our big wide complex world there is plenty of room for multiple POVs and ideas on how things work. And a great % of the super yelly stuff you send the way of liberalism, can just be reversed and sent right back.
    I don't see the right as especially positive or virtuous. Mainly, what I believe is that it is a negative thing to tear apart society in order to implement BAD ideas. Really, just normalcy and when in doubt, the government should leave people alone. At one time, that would have been considered straight down the middle. Now it's apparently right-wing, and subject to ridicule by those unable to see how ridiculous they look themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Yeah, it has nothing to do with the pandemic.

You're just gone Pal. Completely out of it. I'm not even going to waste my time.
    All you do is waste your time. Why stop now?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

That was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by T&B fan View Post
    I would count my self in this side as well . I just don't have the energy to fight with those how think debates are ( we are right , you are EVIL ) nonsense . You can keep trying .

Steelreserve has made a lot of statements , I will pick a few and see where it go's .
    " most of whom were near death anyway "
    " it is just an ordinary disease like many others "
    " Either you will get the coronavirus or you won't "
    " somebody made snap decisions based on incorrect information back in March "
    " If you tried to prevent everything that killed "a lot" of people, you could only do it by ruining the whole world "
    " If you told me wearing a silly hat could prevent people from dying "

ok and I say here is my take ,

lightning strikes in large city , fires brakes out 1000s will die if we don't put it out ..

fire well ( " it is just an ordinary disease like many others " )

1000s dying ( " most of whom were near death anyway " ) , ( " Either you will get the coronavirus or you won't " )

put it out ( " If you tried to prevent everything that killed "a lot" of people, you could only do it by ruining the whole world " )

we could have prevented the mass death by doing fire prevention ( " If you told me wearing a silly hat could prevent people from dying " )

people should have been told to get out of the city early ( " somebody made snap decisions based on incorrect information back in March " ) .

or I will go with a oldie

when I lived in Memphis TN , it snowed , a city of 1 million stayed home . I was told " god put it there god will take it away " , my answer , if a bird fly's over and shits in your hair do you wait for a rain storm to wash it out ?
    See, my position is more like, "Let's see if that smoke means there is a fire, and if there is, let's call the fire department."

The left's position is, "We need to get bulldozers and tear down the entire city immediately in case there MIGHT be a fire. Then, after the fire has been out for months, let's keep calling in B-52s to carpet-bomb the rubble. Just in case!"

Meanwhile, it turns out it was just the neighbors barbecuing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Why do I have to start with the idea that whatever conservatives or libertarians believe is the fundamental unchanging fabric of America and what it means to be American while liberals are evil agents seeking to destroy those concepts?
    I'm not sure that is accurate. I don't believe Liberals are evil. I thought it was us Conservatives that are evil???...lol.

I believe we are are all of one being. Some of us just connect more with different parts of that being. I honestly don't think Liberals are dumb or don't see things "right". I believe we just see things on a different plane. Liberals aren't stupid; they just see things different. Conservatives aren't stupid. They just see things different.

I am a Conservative. That doesn't mean I don't have empathy or that I don't care about people. It means that I think ... IMO.... rationally about the world/country. I feel for the have nots and the down trodden. I want to help them. BUT.... I understand that not everyone can be helped. It sucks! But the people that work everyday... the people that made their way and have what they have because of their hard work and perseverance should be made to pay for the people that have not done so is just BS.

Liberals seem to think we owe everyone a living and an easy life. Not so much...IMO. Jesus said.... we will always have the poor among us. I'm not real sure how many Liberals are followers of God. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

"If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be...For the poor you will always have with you in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’" (Deut 15:7-11)

http://www.catholiccincinnati.org/56...-a-prediction/

https://www.fh.org/2020/03/26/poor-y...h-you-meaning/

There are plenty of Liberals who believe deeply and passionately in the Christian faith.

There are also many paths to being a moral, virtuous, and compassionate person outside of the Christian faith.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Doug Pederson tested positive for the virus today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

NHL Reports Zero Positive Coronavirus Tests Out of Over 7,000 Administered

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles...ent=1596482569

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

Bubble works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

Amazing.

Bruins starting goaltender Tuukka Rask sitting out against Flyers, deemed 'unfit to play'

Rask sat out of Saturday's practice after not feeling well

By Shanna McCarriston
    Aug 2, 2020 at 1:44 pm ET1 min read

Boston Bruins starting goaltender Tuukka Rask is out for Sunday's round-robin game against the Philadelphia Flyers. Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy said Rask is "unfit to play." Backup goalie Jaroslav Halak will take over in his place. Dan Vladar will be the backup for the matchup as Rask is not dressing.

Cassidy said that he hopes that Rask is able to get back on the ice tomorrow.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/b...unfit-to-play/

He had a cough, no other symptoms, I think, but he stayed away for a couple of days. I believe he was back at practice yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bubble works.
    As long as the players follow the rules: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/l...seeding-games/

Unfortunately the NFL is too stubborn and too large to bubble. Say 100 people per team (60 man roster + 40 coaches and support people) that is 3200 people. The NBA is doing (22x37) a roughly 800 person bubble. The NHL bubble is about the same size. So can you scale the concept to thousands instead of hundreds?

What about the length of the "bubble season" I think hockey is going to be about 8 weeks or so (not sure) and I think the NBA is doing the same (again not sure of the length). But the NFL would be going far longer. So that may be difficult. Would guys agree to go live in hotels and not see their families for 20 weeks? Or do we have to add family members to the bubble? Kids? Do they go to school? If so, how do you "bubble" that?

Then, think about all the wacky and not team provided stuff NFL guys do for their bodies. Cryotherapy, accupuncture, massage, etc. etc. Tales out of the NBA bubble indicate that the hotel provided meals are far from the personal chef level carefully calibrated meals star players are used to. I'm thinking of a guy like James Harrison who claimed to have spent a ton of money each season to bring outside professionals in to help manage his nutrition, conditioning, and health. Is that possible in the bubble? Or are guys going to have to just abandon those routines and will they be willing to do that? I figure a few would not, especially if they think this outside person is providing something that is guarding their health or prolonging their career in the most violent of the major American sports.

Finally, we get to the owners. Are these rich selfish bastards going to want to live in some (by their standards) crappy hotel compound for months on end and not do whatever billionaire nonsense they do when they aren't dealing with the NFL? Alternatively, are they going to stay out of the bubble and give up some "control"?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Doug Pederson tested positive for the virus today.
    And he will be fine.

14 Florida Marlins tested positive two weeks ago. How many died? How many required hospitalization? The media NEVER follows up on this because it's all about scaring you.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

They already have a proven and effective treatment , but you can't know about it until after Nov. 3rd.
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cold-hard-steel View Post
    They already have a proven and effective treatment , but you can't know about it until after Nov. 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    The media NEVER follows up on this because it's all about scaring you.
    No point in reporting 162,000 deaths.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post

Finally, we get to the owners. Are these rich selfish bastards going to want to live in some (by their standards) crappy hotel compound for months on end and not do whatever billionaire nonsense they do when they aren't dealing with the NFL? Alternatively, are they going to stay out of the bubble and give up some "control"?
    Only if they have a massage parlor.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    That video is.....well......somewhat disturbing.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Look up Myocarditis and COVID-19. That may sink the season if millionaire football players dont want to risk myocarditis and possible death.

"Myocarditis itself is certainly not new," Drezner said, adding that prior studies have found that myocarditis represents up to 9% of sudden cardiac deaths among athletes.
    But there have been no specific studies of COVID-related myocarditis on college-age adults or athletes. "I've heard about a handful of cases between some of the bigger schools," he said, but said he was not aware of any cases specifically in the Pac-12. "Whether or not it's 1% or 10%, it's still important."
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ason-viability

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Look up Myocarditis and COVID-19. That may sink the season if millionaire football players dont want to risk myocarditis and possible death.

"Myocarditis itself is certainly not new," Drezner said, adding that prior studies have found that myocarditis represents up to 9% of sudden cardiac deaths among athletes.
    But there have been no specific studies of COVID-related myocarditis on college-age adults or athletes. "I've heard about a handful of cases between some of the bigger schools," he said, but said he was not aware of any cases specifically in the Pac-12. "Whether or not it's 1% or 10%, it's still important."
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ason-viability
    There is a starting pitcher for the Red Sox that is out for the season with this exact thing. The article claims "...has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences..."

Word out this way is that the Big 10, except for Nebraska, is a day or so away from cancelling.

There is a starting pitcher for the Red Sox that is out for the season with this exact thing. The article claims "...has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences..."

Word out this way is that the Big 10, except for Nebraska, is a day or so away from cancelling.
    I wasn't aware of the name of it.

Red Sox's Eduardo Rodriguez, who developed heart issue from COVID-19, shut down for 2020 MLB season

Rodriguez, 27, is still expected to make a full recovery

By R.J. Anderson
    Aug 1, 2020 at 5:11 pm ET1 min read

Boston Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez will not pitch this season because of complications following his bout with COVID-19, according to Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com. Less than a week ago, Rodriguez confirmed that he had been diagnosed with myocarditis, or "an inflammation of the heart muscle,"per the Mayo Clinic definition.
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...20-mlb-season/

Like most things, some people will look at the risk and find it's acceptable to them, and decide to participate. This is fine.

Others will look at the risk and find it's too much, and will decide not to participate. This is also fine.

For some reason, the current state of things is that some people will look at the risk and find it's acceptable to them, and other people will decide for them that they are not allowed to participate, because these other people who are not participating do not think the risk is acceptable. This is not fine.

If the other major sports leagues provide any indication, the overwhelming majority of athletes think the risk is worth it. Perhaps many of them think they are invincible - and in this case, for most of them, that is not far from the truth.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Litigation.

No organization is going to open itself to any liability exposure on this.

Say the NCAA or whoever, says here are the things. Do these and you'll be fine. Then a single athlete gets sick, develops a long term consequence, or dies or has a family member die. Despite how much many of us would vehemently disagree with it, some lawyer will get a big $$$ settlement out of it. Wrongful death, lost wages, future earning potential, and so on.

Ironically, not having a CFB season could potentially do the same. Plus, no revenue, what pays for all those scholarships next year?

Also, watch this start a MASSIVE shit storm either way.

Big $$$ administrators need a season to pay their salaries. Do they give the players some/any input? Therefore admitting student athletes are different than other students? If so, do other students cry foul that they've had no say in reopening discussions?

It's just laughable how much the higher education plan was "hope it goes away" .

One has to wonder what all these staggeringly high paid athletic and academic administrators actually did for the last 6 months.