Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2167

Thread: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

http://archive.is/RuA5z

Interesting...it appears his main basis for all this is that some studies show no difference in respiratory illness infection rate among health care workers between surgical masks and N95 respirators. Rancourt then uses that to argue the conclusion that if there is no difference between surgical masks and respirators then there must, also, be no difference between any kind of face covering and nothing. Further, there seems to be no accounting for any difference in transmission/infection rate between COVID and the flu. That sounds a bit suspicious to me...but WTF do I know?

Further, he makes the great claim that you can't test any of this anyways since any study would either be too controlled or too uncontrolled. That is pretty clever. He gets to be right no matter what because he just attempts to invalidate any experimental design preemptively.

Dude is a seriously random guy BTW. Somehow got fired from a tenured gig at a Canadian University. That is super duper hard to do. Finished out a lengthy fight over it all by saying he was the target of the military-industrial complex and the pro-Israel lobby. Additionally, he got the Chronicle of Higher Education and more than on University Professor union/trade group to come out against tenure protections in cases like his. That is basically unheard of.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

My dog with his bandanna at the ready:

Odie being mitigation compliant.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

FWIW:

Masks work well for the public but respirators only for health care workers: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/

"The available evidence suggests that near-universal adop-tion of non-medical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures could successfullyreduce effective-R to below 1.0, thereby stopping community spread. Economic analysis suggests that the impact of maskwearing could be thousands of US dollars saved per person per mask" -- http://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

General summary of multiple studies supporting mask use for influenza: https://www.healthline.com/health/co.../mask#research

Another readable summary of specific studies supporting the usage of masks: https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent. Interesting side note from this one: "

“What you want is 100 percent of people to wear masks, but you’ll settle for 80 percent,” said Rutherford. In one simulation, researchers predicted that 80 percent of the population wearing masks would do more to reduce COVID-19 spread than a strict lockdown."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Yes...We can ride down in the snake river canyon or sit right on the edge and watch all the fireworks and watch jumpers.
    Base jumpers

YES!!! That’s it. Amazing.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Florida Teen Dies After Mother Took Her to Church Coronavirus Party, Then Treated Her With Hydroxychloroquine

Florida medical examiner's report has raised questions about a 17-year-old Fort Myers resident's death from COVID-19 complications last month. The teenager, Carsyn Davis, was a cancer survivor with a rare, ongoing autoimmune disorder. She died of respiratory failure after contracting the new coronavirus in early June.

The medical examiner's report notes that Davis attended a 100-person church event, where people were not required to wear face masks, roughly two weeks before she died in a Miami-Dade County hospital. During the nine days that followed, she was given antibiotics, hydroxychloroquine and oxygen via her grandfather's portable machine by her parents while at home. Her mother, Carole Brunton Davis, is a nurse. The hospital recommended intubation when Davis was admitted to its pediatric unit on June 19, but her parents declined the procedure, according to the county medical examiner. She received plasma therapy and was eventually intubated on June 22, but died one day later.

Hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug that President Donald Trump praised as a COVID-19 treatment method throughout much of the pandemic, was later flagged by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as possibly detrimental to patients' health. The FDA explained it could potentially cause "serious and potentially life-threatening heart rhythm problems" in a statement released April 24.

"I started looking into her mother, the church where the COVID party was held with more than 100 children, her health history, and who she was and I felt so angry and sad that this happened," she continued.
    Davis was a member of the congregation at Fort Myers' First Assembly of God. The church reportedly hosted a "party" on June 10. The Facebook post that reportedly advertised the event was deleted from the church's social media page on Monday.https://www.newsweek.com/florida-tee...ed-her-1515781

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    http://archive.is/RuA5z

Interesting...it appears his main basis for all this is that some studies show no difference in respiratory illness infection rate among health care workers between surgical masks and N95 respirators. Rancourt then uses that to argue the conclusion that if there is no difference between surgical masks and respirators then there must, also, be no difference between any kind of face covering and nothing. Further, there seems to be no accounting for any difference in transmission/infection rate between COVID and the flu. That sounds a bit suspicious to me...but WTF do I know?

Further, he makes the great claim that you can't test any of this anyways since any study would either be too controlled or too uncontrolled. That is pretty clever. He gets to be right no matter what because he just attempts to invalidate any experimental design preemptively.

Dude is a seriously random guy BTW. Somehow got fired from a tenured gig at a Canadian University. That is super duper hard to do. Finished out a lengthy fight over it all by saying he was the target of the military-industrial complex and the pro-Israel lobby. Additionally, he got the Chronicle of Higher Education and more than on University Professor union/trade group to come out against tenure protections in cases like his. That is basically unheard of.
    I just happened across the vid while searching for CV19 info. I wasn't making any kind of statement with it.... I just figured some of you might find it interesting, nothing more.

I just happened across the vid while searching for CV19 info. I wasn't making any kind of statement with it.... I just figured some of you might find it interesting, nothing more.
    Agreed it is interesting. Interesting guy with a bizarre recent history. Definitely went down the rabbit hole a bit today looking into it. Better than a lot of other things I could be doing!

Look, this isn't very difficult. You live your life in such a way that protects you, as best as possible, and protects others, as best as possible. This doesn't mean you shut down. It means you find a way to live as a full a life as possible while being protective of yourself and others at the same time.

Now, for how long will we have to live this way? Until assistance comes along in the form of a vaccine, or another form of help. That's it.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Look, this isn't very difficult. You live your life in such a way that protects you, as best as possible, and protects others, as best as possible. This doesn't mean you shut down. It means you find a way to live as a full a life as possible while being protective of yourself and others at the same time.

Now, for how long will we have to live this way? Until assistance comes along in the form of a vaccine, or another form of help. That's it.
    I'm actually going to agree with you on this. The thing is............. WHEN will we get on with it!? This virus is here to stay. We/the country has got to get back to working and sustaining the economy. Staying shut down is NOT the answer! Precautions should be taken, the vulnerable should continue to stay home. The rest of us.... willing to get back there should be allowed to do so. I am more than willing to wear a mask, weather I agree with it or not..... it's not a big deal. I just want to get back to work and earn my way!

I'm actually going to agree with you on this. The thing is............. WHEN will we get on with it!? This virus is here to stay. We/the country has got to get back to working and sustaining the economy. Staying shut down is NOT the answer! Precautions should be taken, the vulnerable should continue to stay home. The rest of us.... willing to get back there should be allowed to do so. I am more than willing to wear a mask, weather I agree with it or not..... it's not a big deal. I just want to get back to work and earn my way!
    What do you do that you're not able to work? What's your job, where do you do it?

Agreed it is interesting. Interesting guy with a bizarre recent history. Definitely went down the rabbit hole a bit today looking into it. Better than a lot of other things I could be doing!

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    What do you do that you're not able to work? What's your job, where do you do it?
    I'm a Cabinetmaker. I work in the Trade Show industry. The show halls are shut down. (lots of people in a closed environment). I have 28 years with the company. I was hoping to retire with them. The future is up in the air at this time. I'm not of retirement age ,and I can't live more than a year at this point without an income. I'm freaking out a little right now.

I'm a Cabinetmaker. I work in the Trade Show industry. The show halls are shut down. (lots of people in a closed environment). I have 28 years with the company. I was hoping to retire with them. The future is up in the air at this time. I'm not of retirement age ,and I can't live more than a year at this point without an income. I'm freaking out a little right now.
    I understand. Not good. Are there any other ways to put your skills to work? For example a nephew of mine just built this for a neighbor.

[QUOTE=tom444;735855]What do you do that you're not able to work? What's your job,
    Last edited by silver & black; 07-07-2020 at 05:16 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I guess we’ll know if there is a season and in what form, in a few weeks....

Ummmm...... I just told you?
    Ummmmmm..............so you can't do that for anybody else? Like a neighbor?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    So it appears there are about 10 people on this board completely afraid of COVID19 that wish to hide under their beds until 2050.

The media keeps saying cases are spiking (because we are now test MORE) but they aren't talking about the death rates spiking? Hmmm, could it be that the first round took all the older and medically compromised people and this round cases are growing but a herd immunity is being built? The media doesn't want to talk about that. According to Worldometers.com the US has 3,962 new cases and 52 new deaths. Yet somehow we've had 2,731,815 total cases, 130,174 deaths and 1,143,923 recovered.

So if we've had 2,731,815 cases minus the deaths 130,174 then that means there are 2,601,641 people out there with it. They say 1,143,923 have recovered. So that means 1,457,718 have it right now. So if the death rate is really 4% then that means 58,308 more people should die in the next 2-3 weeks. Who wants to bet me that doesn't happen?

Now let's jump to the REAL bullshit going on. For a month it was okay to parade the streets, gather, burn buildings, loot, topple statues mostly without masks but suddenly we need to keep the economy closed until the day after the election.

And of course through all of this China magically only has 4,634 deaths in a country of 1.4 BILLION people. Oh and Sweden who Mojouw brought up, 5,333 deaths total.
    A week later we have 2,887 more deaths against the 130,174 or roughly a 2% death rate. This is against our WHOLE country. With all these new spikes and cases and the sky is falling reporting you would think that this would at least make the news? Nope, because it's the same death rate as the flu, that's why.

In the winter and fall of 2018 over 80,000 Americans died of the flu, and the CDC only measured the flu season not the whole year. Even CNN reported it. My point is people die of disease EVERY day, EVERY year. If we tracked those diseases and hid every time one was out we would never come out of our houses. There is a reason we have an immune system. Protect those that need it and allow the rest of us to go back to life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Plenty of fireworks in Pennsylvania. Was left up to the organizations to keep/cancel. Hersheypark for example held a show for people in their cars. I believe Dorneypark did as well.
    Oh great now all that COVID19 blood is on their hands!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Florida Teen Dies After Mother Took Her to Church Coronavirus Party, Then Treated Her With Hydroxychloroquine

Florida medical examiner's report has raised questions about a 17-year-old Fort Myers resident's death from COVID-19 complications last month. The teenager, Carsyn Davis, was a cancer survivor with a rare, ongoing autoimmune disorder. She died of respiratory failure after contracting the new coronavirus in early June.

The medical examiner's report notes that Davis attended a 100-person church event, where people were not required to wear face masks, roughly two weeks before she died in a Miami-Dade County hospital. During the nine days that followed, she was given antibiotics, hydroxychloroquine and oxygen via her grandfather's portable machine by her parents while at home. Her mother, Carole Brunton Davis, is a nurse. The hospital recommended intubation when Davis was admitted to its pediatric unit on June 19, but her parents declined the procedure, according to the county medical examiner. She received plasma therapy and was eventually intubated on June 22, but died one day later.

Hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug that President Donald Trump praised as a COVID-19 treatment method throughout much of the pandemic, was later flagged by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as possibly detrimental to patients' health. The FDA explained it could potentially cause "serious and potentially life-threatening heart rhythm problems" in a statement released April 24.

"I started looking into her mother, the church where the COVID party was held with more than 100 children, her health history, and who she was and I felt so angry and sad that this happened," she continued.
    Davis was a member of the congregation at Fort Myers' First Assembly of God. The church reportedly hosted a "party" on June 10. The Facebook post that reportedly advertised the event was deleted from the church's social media page on Monday.https://www.newsweek.com/florida-tee...ed-her-1515781
    Did you just IGNORE that part? Or the part about her parents playing doctor with her grandfathers oxygen? Jesus find a better story than this. Her parents were morons but she clearly had tons of underlying medical issues and should never been brought out in the public like that.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post

- - - Updated - - -

!

- - - Updated - - -

Did you just IGNORE that part? Or the part about her parents playing doctor with her grandfathers oxygen? Jesus find a better story than this. Her parents were morons but she clearly had tons of underlying medical issues and should never been brought out in the public like that.
    You are asking if I ignored the part that was printed in the article that you BOLDED?

Are you asking if I ignored the part of the article about them putting her on her grandfathers oxygen that is in the next line in print?

I know that people have small attention spans and wont read an entire article, but you are actually asking if I ignored aspects of the story that I actually posted in print. It makes no sense.

The cliff notes of the story are this as I understand:
    -moron mother takes her 17 year old daughter that survived cancer at age 2, to a church organized COVID party with other kids so they can presumably get it.
    -moron mother proactively puts Hydroxychloroquine, presumably because she thinks its a game changer drug that will fight COVID19 despite numerous warnings from health organizations, clinical studies, etc that it does nothing.
    -moron mother then decides to put infected 17 year old daughter on her own oxygen regime and refuses ventilation until child passes away.

Key takeaways- Hydroxychloroquine is a game changer in preventing infection from COVID. Only the elderly or immune compromised die of COVID. God will save people from COVID. COVID19 is all a hoax developed by TDS to rig the election.

Have a great day everybody. I'm wearing a mask when it close contact with people I dont know, social distancing, shopping at Costco, Home Depot, etc and living life. Hope you all stay safe and can get back to work soon, if you are not currently.

Can you transfer those skills to any local renovators that do kitchen or bathroom renovations? You have skills, just have to scramble and see if you can find side jobs until the nation gets COVID in place to the point that industries can do trade shows in a 6ft distance kind of way.

Good luck.

Can you transfer those skills to any local renovators that do kitchen or bathroom renovations? You have skills, just have to scramble and see if you can find side jobs until the nation gets COVID in place to the point that industries can do trade shows in a 6ft distance kind of way.

Good luck.
    Thank you, that's what I was trying to say.

Good luck.
    Kitchens take a long time to build... and a proper shop to build in.There isn't much in the way of home remodeling going on where I live. I can't even get my deck finished because there is no materials to buy. The whole thing is a mess. I wish everyone good luck after the help is over with.

So this is a massive side-track; but this kinda stuff just makes me howl with laughter. So the government released the folks that got loan money due to the pandemic.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/coro...-released.html

The Ayn Rand Institute, that bastion of self-reliance and libertarian thought, took somewhere between $350K and $1 million in government "handouts". So did Tucker "Welfare is Evil and Dumb" Carlson's media companies.

The truth is always stranger than fiction! It appears that some of the most ideologically critical of government handouts were the first ones with their hands out!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't care to enter the debate part of this thread but as for the "Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?" part of it, I am leaning more and more to there will be no football season this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I don't care to enter the debate part of this thread but as for the "Will the Coming Season be Different Because of COVID-19?" part of it, I am leaning more and more to there will be no football season this year.
    Considering the NFL and NFLPA just started talking this week...and they aren't on the same page...it doesn't look good.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Considering the NFL and NFLPA just started talking this week...and they aren't on the same page...it doesn't look good.
    Just looking at IF the season even starts. All it takes is one player to test positive and that entire team takes a hit for 2 weeks? Then do players on another team refuse to play against that player's team because of the positive test result? OR teammates don't want to play anymore because of positive tests? These are very real and probable issues we could see each and every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just looking at IF the season even starts. All it takes is one player to test positive and that entire team takes a hit for 2 weeks? Then do players on another team refuse to play against that player's team because of the positive test result? OR teammates don't want to play anymore because of positive tests? These are very real and probable issues we could see each and every week.
    League and union can't even agree on the preseason, roster sizes, practice rules, and the $$$. Plus, they both gambled that doing nothing would work out because it would solve itself by August.

So unless 2 groups who almost never agree and take a long time when they do; can cobble out a complex agreement in 3 weeks it ain't happening.

Just the beginning?

Ivy League Cancels Fall Sports Season

UPDATED: July 8, 2020, 6:40 p.m.

The Ivy League will not allow sports to resume during the fall semester due to the coronavirus pandemic.
    The decision will mark an end to the fall sports season and could bar many winter and spring sport athletes from participation in usual preseason activities. It will also curtail the winter sports season, which ordinarily begins in November.
    The eight Ivy League presidents said in a statement published Wednesday evening that their commitment to the health and wellbeing of student-athletes and staff guided their decision to halt the start of sports.
    https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...s-coronavirus/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victori...r#53433c146d91

It is becoming clear this thing can and does screw with other major organ systems in lasting ways. Liver, kidneys, and heart have all been previously reported. Now it can make your thinker not work good. I know I don't have much to lose.

"Many of the patients had only mild typical Covid-19 symptoms such as fever or respiratory issues and for some, their neurological symptoms were the only sign they were sick...9 patients were diagnosed with a form of Acute Demyelinating Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), where the immune system is thought to attack myelin, the insulating covering of nerves in the central nervous system. If myelin is absent or not thick enough, nerves lose the ability to effectively transmit information and a wide range of symptoms including paralysis and cognitive issues can result."

League and union can't even agree on the preseason, roster sizes, practice rules, and the $$$. Plus, they both gambled that doing nothing would work out because it would solve itself by August.

So unless 2 groups who almost never agree and take a long time when they do; can cobble out a complex agreement in 3 weeks it ain't happening.
    True, but I think a few months ago the hope was that the spread of the virus would be mitigated and there would not be so much of it prevalent, so playing games would not carry as much risk of infection.

Can watch all the Australian Rules Football, English Premier League Soccer, Spanish Premier league or MLS Soccer we want, but I think the notion of 53 man rosters travelling from city to city to play other teams in the NFL is less likely to happen each day that there are 50,000 new cases a day in the US.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/victori...r#53433c146d91

It is becoming clear this thing can and does screw with other major organ systems in lasting ways. Liver, kidneys, and heart have all been previously reported. Now it can make your thinker not work good. I know I don't have much to lose.

"Many of the patients had only mild typical Covid-19 symptoms such as fever or respiratory issues and for some, their neurological symptoms were the only sign they were sick...9 patients were diagnosed with a form of Acute Demyelinating Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), where the immune system is thought to attack myelin, the insulating covering of nerves in the central nervous system. If myelin is absent or not thick enough, nerves lose the ability to effectively transmit information and a wide range of symptoms including paralysis and cognitive issues can result."
    Cool story...but the death rate is less than 1%. Its just like the flu.