Thread: Steelers draft day positions poll thread

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Steelers draft day positions poll thread

Just to see what the forum feels are the top positions (in order) to be addressed in this draft.

I'll go first.

1. OLB - Yes this seems to be the wash rinse repeat position of need every draft.

2. OC/OG - This is the oldest group on the roster. Feiler is the heir apparent at LG by most opinions but he is also 27. Must get some new blood in the pipeline.

3. TE - As of today only 2 players under contract at this position.

4. Safety - After Minkah who do we have? Edmunds is still learning and getting better. Does Davis' IR season count toward his contract or does he still have a year left under his rookie deal due to IR? Then there's some special teamers.

5. QB - Ben is the man until he chooses to not be. I think Mason will be #2 to start TC but could get passed up by Lynch. And Duck may already be replaced with JT Barrett. Anyone comfortable with that today?

6. CB - Burns is finally gone. Haden is playing well still and Nelson was a great addition last year. Still like the Layne pick. Sutton is in his last contract year. That's 4 guys for 6 roster spots.

Here's where the lines start getting fuzzy for me. So in an order that makes sense to me today but I'm not glued to.

7. OT - AV is 32 this year. Feiler has been playing RT so will he make the move to LG or not? Chuks, Gray, and Banner round out this room.

8. ILB - Barron, Bush, Williams, Spillane, and Gilbert. Good mix of young and vets and I like the talent level.

9. WR - Only thing missing from this group is a true Z receiver, IMO.

10. DL - This may be the strongest room on this team. Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, Buggs, Walton, and McCullers.

11. RB - Conner(24), Samuels(23), Snell(21), Edmunds(25), Whyte(23), Hall(23), and Webb(25). the youngest room on this team. Unless a real game changing player drops to our pick I don't see the need to add another rookie to this corps.

I would really love to see everyone else's lists and see just how differently we all would approach this draft.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers draft day positions poll thread

OL: Center and OT particularly. Assume Feiler is a good LG. Who plays interior backup. I think Pouncey is about to enter a steep decline. Assume Banner is an adequate RT. Not much depth after that.

DL: specifically who plays DT in base?

LB: VW is not long for the roster. Who plays next to Bush in base? OLB depth is uncertain at best.

WR: lack speed. Look what speed has done for the defense. The offense needs some and WR is a quick way to get some.

Safety: who plays Barron’s role in the dime? What happens if either starter is injured? Perhaps should be even higher on the list!!

RB: I don’t believe in Snell, Samuels, or Whyte. I wouldn’t complain if a draft pick shoved one or more of those guys off the roster.

QB: I actually don’t like this QB class. But it wouldn’t hurt to add competition.

TE: Maybe the biggest roster need. But I think this class is so poor, I wouldn’t waste a draft pick on any of them.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I say focus mainly on offense, mainly OL and receiving corp. They need to help whichever QB is starting and also open things up for the RBs on the roster. The OL is in sore need of a reboot. The current OL is aging and rapidly declining. Specifically they need polished o-linemen, not athletes that can't actually play a game that Sean Sarrett won't coach up. They also need receivers both at WR and TE. Vance McDonald is not a no. 1 TE, they need a no. 1 TE. As for WR, no one stepped up as the no. 1 WR last year, and it says a lot that the offense significantly regressed when AB stopped playing on the team even when Ben was starting (starting with week 17 2018 against the Bengals backups). They need a capable no. 1 WR (Juju is a no. 2 at best)

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

Priorities, IMHO...
    RB: no rb in our stable concerns any DC. Conner is a good kid, but he's hurt 50% of the time. Everyone else is pedestrian, at best. Cut the room and pick Dobbins if he's there!
    OL: G or C, BPA
    TE: Depends on what you're going to do with McDonald. Extend him and clean up his cap hit, or cut him and pick a TE in the 2nd.