Thread: Warming up to Tight End Kmet being our guy in round two.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Warming up to Tight End Kmet being our guy in round two.

With McDonald possibly gone, the Steelers have zero depth and limited talent at Tight End. Did I mention cutting McDonald would save the Steelers $5,672,500 in cap space ?

At any rate the Steelers lack of Tight End production really hurt our passing game and ability to run out of the Two Tight End, not to mention play-action passes.

Enter Cole Kmet who had a very good combine

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cole-k...7-61d779beeff4

As you can see, he is very tall with long arms and big hands. Athletically his vertical leap is very good for a man his size, and he has what I would call good competitive football speed. Enough speed to split the seam and enough height and length to be a tough cover for the ILB's and DB's.

He has the frame to add on a little more muscle. I have seen him play. He's an all arounder type who can block, get open, catch it and run a little after the catch. Kmet can start for the Steelers as a rookie. The question is, will he be there for us after a pretty good combine?

TE is a need, and the value here in round two nicely matches our need.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Warming up to Tight End Kmet being our guy in round two.

Haven't had a reliable no. 1 TE since Heath retired. I'm in

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame, 6'4" - 235lbs

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...le-kmet-1.html

Highlight films to show ability to get open, ability to make contested catches, and RAC ability:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHkGWpokKUM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51fNVJDj-ZE

Game films to show game play speed, blocking ability and pass pro:
    vs Georgia 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqX_raekOrk

vs Boston College 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE1cqDE7i-U

vs VA Tech 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKELIz8-Gz8

vs Virginia 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GifWpldPdFw

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

His WR teammate Claypool is bigger than Kmet(238 lbs), faster than Kmet(4.42), and he may be a better blocker.

I'm beginning to wonder who the better prospect is.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    His WR teammate Claypool is bigger than Kmet(238 lbs), faster than Kmet(4.42), and he may be a better blocker.

Claypool has similar #'s to M. Bryant! As long as his character and football IQ check, out, he'll be gone before out pick in round two. This WR class may lack a top 5 talent, but it's a very deep one.

I would qualify on who's on better blocker, as Claypool is often blowing out smaller DB's. Kmet blocks LB's ad DL, which are a different weight class.

I don't think Kemt is going to be a star, but I do see him as a better than average staring TE's who about 4 million cheaper per year that the erratic Vance McDonald and fits what the model day NFL asks for its TE's.

TE is perhaps the weakest area on the team. I do not like the depth at TE in this draft class either.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Don’t think Kmart is ready to play in the NFL in 2020. He came out to early and this blue light special likely will require an NFL red shirt year. So, while he may end up being the best TE of the 2020 class, he will cost the 17th pick in the 2nd round and almost surely wont contribute on the field in a meaningful way until 2021.

Can’t wait.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Claypool has similar #'s to M. Bryant! As long as his character and football IQ check, out, he'll be gone before out pick in round two. This WR class may lack a top 5 talent, but it's a very deep one.

I would qualify on who's on better blocker, as Claypool is often blowing out smaller DB's. Kmet blocks LB's ad DL, which are a different weight class.

I don't think Kemt is going to be a star, but I do see him as a better than average staring TE's who about 4 million cheaper per year that the erratic Vance McDonald and fits what the model day NFL asks for its TE's.

TE is perhaps the weakest area on the team. I do not like the depth at TE in this draft class either.

Here's a breakdown of Claypool: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chase-...1-bfb9899e5d84

YouTube highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGEqLwp3I5E

All I'm saying is that Claypool is a very big WR that blocks very well. I believe he is physically capable of handling blocking duties at the TE position with a few more pounds and more strength training while having far greater athletic ability than Kmet. He has 4.42 speed, and he has a frame that could put on more weight. He would be an interesting piece because I believe he might be able to play outside WR and also kick inside to play TE or H-back. He could be a matchup problem instantly. He would give the team so many options, and he still has the speed to be a deep threat. He is very physical and he makes contested catches. Some think he can and should play TE at the next level. That's some rare ability for a guy his size. Imagine seeing him flying up the seam with that speed!

I also think Kmet is a good player with some upside, but I just haven't seen enough from him yet to get too excited about him. I think he can develop into a pretty good player, but I'm not sold on him being a guy that could come in and contribute immediately. They really need players that can contribute right out of the gate with the team trying to make a deep run this year with Ben back.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I did not watch much ND football this past season. I only have internet game film to look at and the opinions of others to judge Kmet's overall draft value. As far as a pass catcher I think he does very well. I don't know enough about routes to know if he's a good route runner or not but he does seem to catch well. As far as blocking goes he looks good when in pass pro before releasing. Bull rushers seem to blow him up more often than not. In run block he is efficient vs Safeties and slot CBs most of the time but there's not enough of him there when taking on DL or LBs. Then again the whole ND OL looks a bit weak on most plays. You see Book running for his life on nearly every offensive snap. So maybe he could look better with better blocking coaching/talent around him? I still don't see a TE worthy of the 49th overall pick in this draft. However, since he seems to be the one rising to the top of the pile and will probably be the first one off the board 49 may be too late to actually get him. I think the more guys like Kmet that fall off before we pick the better chance we have of getting someone truly gamechanging.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I like Claypool, but think he is more closer to a faster version of Devin Funchess than a heavier Martavis Bryant. Still a guy that I think can be a receiving option that is different than what the Steelers currently have on the roster.

Kmet really reminds me of Heath Miller as a receiver. He isn't the fastest guy or quickest, but looks to have good hands and runs good routes to get open. I think Kmet has huge potential, and tools, but I haven't seen him as a blocker and the word is that it needs some work, so IMO he isn't Heath Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I like Claypool, but think he is more closer to a faster version of Devin Funchess than a heavier Martavis Bryant. Still a guy that I think can be a receiving option that is different than what the Steelers currently have on the roster.

Kmet really reminds me of Heath Miller as a receiver. He isn't the fastest guy or quickest, but looks to have good hands and runs good routes to get open. I think Kmet has huge potential, and tools, but I haven't seen him as a blocker and the word is that it needs some work, so IMO he isn't Heath Miller.

I think he could be a TE. I think he could play around 250 and be strong enough to hold up, and keep enough speed to be a real problem for defenses.

To me, he doesn't have enough shake in his game to be a really good outside WR. He would have to depend on speed, size, and body position to make contested catches. That skillset works much better against LB's and safeties at the next level.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I think he could be a TE. I think he could play around 250 and be strong enough to hold up, and keep enough speed to be a real problem for defenses.

To me, he doesn't have enough shake in his game to be a really good outside WR. He would have to depend on speed, size, and body position to make contested catches. That skillset works much better against LB's and safeties at the next level.

moves pretty well for a big WR. But definitely not as shifty as a 5'10" 190lb guy off the line, which is to be expected.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Kmet really reminds me of Heath Miller as a receiver. He isn't the fastest guy or quickest, but looks to have good hands and runs good routes to get open.
    This... is what I want in a TE. I don’t need blazing speed. I don’t need a great Combine. He doesn’t need to be a freak of nature. What I need is a guy with hands who finds the soft spot in a defense and is able to make the contested catches.

SUMMATION:
    -third-&-6
    -settles in 8 yards past the LOS
    -makes the catch
    -keeps the drive going
    -repeat (ad nauseum)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    This... is what I want in a TE. I don’t need blazing speed. I don’t need a great Combine. He doesn’t need to be a freak of nature. What I need is a guy with hands who finds the soft spot in a defense and is able to make the contested catches.

SUMMATION:
    -third-&-6
    -settles in 8 yards past the LOS
    -makes the catch
    -keeps the drive going
    -repeat (ad nauseum)

I'm with you. We don't need a freak of nature. I am fine with a TE with the receiving skills you just stated. However, if that's what he does, then he needs to also be able to be an above average blocker to have complimentary skills that make him greater than the sum of his parts as Heath was.

I want more than that in my TE. I'm greedy.