Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Meet With WR Jalen Reagor, TE Albert Okwuegbunam At Combine

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Steelers Meet With WR Jalen Reagor, TE Albert Okwuegbunam At Combine

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Albert O just ran a 4.49 and a 4.50, very impressive!
    I am not surprised at all ...

I wouldnt hesitate to take him in rd 2 ( preferably with a small trade back to get an additional 4th ) but wont complain taking him where we sit ...

has the catch radius you desire , speed you can not teach and has box out technique already down pat when needed and is a willing blocker with some ability ......
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

I wouldnt hesitate to take him in rd 2 ( preferably with a small trade back to get an additional 4th ) but wont complain taking him where we sit ...

has the catch radius you desire , speed you can not teach and has box out technique already down pat when needed and is a willing blocker with some ability ......
    Yeah, he’s fast for a TE, but slow for a wr. If he can’t block and then isn’t that what he is?

Is he gonna be so much better in year one than Gentry will be in year two? Maybe.

I wish we had cap space to address the TE position in FA. I wonder if we roll with Vance and take the risk of injury, or we cut him and have a little bit of cash. Since this season is all about gambling on Ben, maybe we just roll with him and we just don’t get a great #2 TE. I’d probably rather beef up the o line with a 2nd round pick or an NFL ready DT or OLB.

I love that Minkah is our first round pick essentially. It’s the best value in the draft. At least I KNOW we can’t whiff in round one. But now there is more pressure to hit in round 2. Going for a TE in this class that early seems scary to me.

I hope we are able to make a deal with Dupree or franchise him so we can really go BPA.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is an opportunity for my favorite draft rent. Talent grade versus round projection. Just because a team needs to spend a pick in x round to ensure they can draft y player does NOT always mean that player has taken equal to that draft round. I really wish we talked about it differently.

For instance: In the 2020 draft, this small school TE who projects on a scale from Adam Shaheen to Dallas Goedert, will cost teams a higher draft pick than is typical. With a class lacking in top end talent, the untapped athletic potential will move this player high into the overall draft board.

Isn't that how we typically define reach? While all or none of the TEs in the 2020 class could be solid NFL players, they are going to cost more than the "average". Combine that with the idea that 8/10 TEs have neglible impact in their rookie year and you have a premium sticker price on developmental projects.

I don't think I'm really adequately explaining what I'm driving at, but based solely on the sources I've read, which as has been pointed out have a strong potential to be inaccurate, 2020 TEs are extremely high risk for low reward.

FWIW, I think TE is the HARDEST position to correctly identify and project. Look how many get drafted each year and how many flop across the league.
    I think you make some great points. I don’t want this to be a draft of reaching for need, because 2020 is all about Ben. If he’s a Super Bowl caliber QB again then we can contend for a Super Bowl if we stay healthy.

We really need this draft to be a draft of steals at BPA for depth. Especially at o line, D line, and O linebacker.

But if there are offensive weapons that are too good to pass up at their spots we can grab them. I don’t see that being the case with any round 2 TE from what I’m hearing.

Basically I totally agree with you that the position won’t be impactful enough for us to reach for one in this draft.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Yeah, he’s fast for a TE, but slow for a wr. If he can’t block and then isn’t that what he is?

Is he gonna be so much better in year one than Gentry will be in year two? Maybe.

I wish we had cap space to address the TE position in FA. I wonder if we roll with Vance and take the risk of injury, or we cut him and have a little bit of cash. Since this season is all about gambling on Ben, maybe we just roll with him and we just don’t get a great #2 TE. I’d probably rather beef up the o line with a 2nd round pick or an NFL ready DT or OLB.

I love that Minkah is our first round pick essentially. It’s the best value in the draft. At least I KNOW we can’t whiff in round one. But now there is more pressure to hit in round 2. Going for a TE in this class that early seems scary to me.

I hope we are able to make a deal with Dupree or franchise him so we can really go BPA.
    I will just be honest ... this kid was my personal #1 TE in this draft prior to the combine , its not a popular one with the masses but neither was Mahomes as the #1 QB in the draft his year nor was Aaron Jones as a top 5 RB in his class in his draft and so on and so on ...

to even put The Big O and Gentry in the same breath is insulting to the Big O ... its blasphemy from where I sit

Gentry should have been an UDFA he was on basically nobodys radar and IMO was a oh shit pick / panic selection ( hand the card in and then say oh shit we actually drafted him )

who said he couldnt block ?

he is NOT a wr he is a TE period

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

I don’t think Antonio Gates was a great blocker either...I wouldn’t mind having a guy who can play like gates and only block a little bit...lol.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don’t think Antonio Gates was a great blocker either...I wouldn’t mind having a guy who can play like gates and only block a little bit...lol.
    Okay I’m sold. If we can draft the equivalent of Antonio Gates in round two then I’m good with it.

lol

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

who said he couldnt block ?

d
    He's not a physical blocker and is better suited as a move tight end. Scouts question his overall toughness as a player, but the potential is very high, which makes him a classic boom-or-bust prospect. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/albert-okwuegbunam?id=32194f4b-5748-5869-ee3e-85d5399ce937

Lance Zeirline and other scouts.

I am personally more interested in his short shuttle times, vertical and bench press. Video says he has vertical speed, but its showing questionable lateral quickness and route running ability. Bench press can tell if he knows what direction the weight room is and if he cares about it.

The Big O's draft profile there is a joke .. I quit reading at clunky runner .... what a joke 4.49 is a clunky runner gtfo

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Big O's draft profile there is a joke .. I quit reading at clunky runner .... what a joke 4.49 is a clunky runner gtfo
    So what's your pro comp for him in year 1? Where's his ceiling after that?

So what's your pro comp for him in year 1? Where's his ceiling after that?
    I could see him with a guy Like a healthy Ben reeling in 40 -50 catches and 500-600 yards and half dozen TDs as a rookie ...

long term sky is the limit in my opinion ... he isnt a finished product but he does enough things really good now that once he develops the things his game lacks he could be a great one ...

Heath Miller want the Heath Miller we knew and loved when he was drafted ( his blocking skills were ok at best as a collegiate ) he became one hell of a blocker in short order

I could see him being a Gronk like weapon in fairly short order ...sure high praise but we are talking ceiling and potential

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I could see him with a guy Like a healthy Ben reeling in 40 -50 catches and 500-600 yards and half dozen TDs as a rookie ...

long term sky is the limit in my opinion ... he isnt a finished product but he does enough things really good now that once he develops the things his game lacks he could be a great one ...

Heath Miller want the Heath Miller we knew and loved when he was drafted ( his blocking skills were ok at best as a collegiate ) he became one hell of a blocker in short order

I could see him being a Gronk like weapon in fairly short order ...sure high praise but we are talking ceiling and potential
    Cool! That's really different than most reports I've seen.

I'll continue to watch the reports on the TEs.

You usually nail a handful of players every year that others aren't talking about.

Cool! That's really different than most reports I've seen.

I'll continue to watch the reports on the TEs.

You usually nail a handful of players every year that others aren't talking about.

he is a mismatch in the making right out of the gate , has really good hands big body and can box out and will out run almost every linebacker in the league and is just to big for most safeties to handle ...

so he has a great shot IMO..

and thanks for the praise brother

he is a mismatch in the making right out of the gate , has really good hands big body and can box out and will out run almost every linebacker in the league and is just to big for most safeties to handle ...

so he has a great shot IMO..

and thanks for the praise brother
    I think ill just start only looking at TE reports from around these parts. Between yourself, ElGonzo, Shoes, and others - might have it surrounded!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That all sounds really encouraging. I’m not much of a college guy so I only can regurgitate what others say.

But if you think he’s that much of a gem then maybe he is the guy to take if available. I definitely trust your instincts on this stuff.

But now that he’s the fastest TE in the draft, did his stock go up out of our reach?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Winner: Albert Okwuegbunam

This is not a jaw-dropping tight end class, but the Missouri tight end provided the first eye-opening moment with a 4.49 in the 40. That is the fourth-fastest time by a tight end since 2003, and it's in elite company with Vernon Davis, who ran a 4.38 in 2006 and became the No. 6 pick in that year's draft. Okwuegbunam's production for the Tigers declined with each season after a breakout freshman year in which he caught 11 touchdowns. He had 23 career TDs on just 98 catches, though, and an impressive workout should vault him up draft boards.

Losers: Harrison Bryant and Adam Trautman

These sleepers did not take advantage of the spotlight. Bryant won the Mackey Award last year as the nation's top tight end after wrapping a fantastic career with Florida Atlantic. He ran a 4.73 in the 40 and managed 13 in the bench press, totals that might cause teams to hesitate. Trautman has the reputation of being a hidden gem after catching 23 touchdowns at FCS Dayton the last two seasons, but he ran a 4.8 in the 40 and hit 18 on the bench press. He did have a 6.78 in the three-cone drill, which was the best among tight ends. Both prospects might have to wait a little longer than expected on draft night.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...e1r3go97x5ies1

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If he is there in the 2nd round, I would suggest the Steelers have Dri Archer sprint to the podium with the draft card.

He could either get a chance to compete for the LG job if they let Foster go and if he doesn't grab the job, then he is the reserve G/C for a season. A good eventual successor to Pouncey and by all accounts a great character kid that is a hard worker and strong interior lineman.

Archer would either fumble the card or pull a hamstring while running to the wrong podium.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Ok, maybe we need Verron Haynes to lead block for him? But I would still jump at Cushenberry.
    You guys have it all wrong.

Send Isaac Redman to the podium.

(We all know why. )

Short summary report on Steelers Depot. Continues trend of broad statements that none of the TEs block well.

But there were some bonkers #s out of the WR group.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Doesn't matter what we think, the Steelers will still draft a Josh Dobbs over a George Kittle
    Last edited by Shoes; 02-28-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Doesn't matter we think, the Steelers will still draft a Josh Dobbs over a George Kittle

Keep your head up Shoes!

It has to happen sometime.....doesn't it?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Keep your head up Shoes!

It has to happen sometime.....doesn't it?

It does, wonder how old Heath's son is now?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It does, wonder how old Heath's son is now?

Maybe Bennie Cunningham's grandson is available.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Doesn't matter what we think, the Steelers will still draft a Josh Dobbs over a George Kittle
    I was surprised to learn that Kittle ran a 4.52 at the Combine, how did he ever last to the 4th round?

Yeah, that still stings. But who do you see us realistically getting that could be true #1 TE year one if we cut McDonald?

Is there really a Kittle or anything close in this draft?

I was surprised to learn that Kittle ran a 4.52 at the Combine, how did he ever last to the 4th round?
    actually he made it to the 5th round look what some had to say about him pre draft

Lance Zierlein - ( see why you can't believe these guys that much , to many prospects to little time )
    NFL Comparison Charles Clay !!

PFF said ... Player comparison: Chris Cooley, Washington Redskins

Bleacher report said...
    PRO COMPARISON: Tyler Higbee, Los Angeles Rams

latest Combine meetings update:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cam Akers, RB, Florida State (COM)
    Lloyd Cushenberry, C, LSU (COM)
    Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State (COM)
    Khaleke Hudson, S, Michigan (COM)
    Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah (COM)
    Colton McKivitz, OT, West Virginia (COM)
    Zack Moss, RB, Utah (COM)
    Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri (COM)
    Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU (COM)
    Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech (COM)
    Josh Uche, 3-4OLB/OLB, Michigan (COM)
    Curtis Weaver, DE/3-4OLB, Boise State (COM)

https://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

If he can run a 4.49 in anything other than a straight line at 6'5" / 250, you won't need to worry about burning a pick on him at #49. He won't be there.

Senior Member Array title="Dreegking will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I wouldn’t. I like our receivers.

DJ put up all kinds of good stats amongst the rookies... and, amongst the receivers in general. And, that was with Rudolph and Duck. DJ is gonna be a great one.

Washington is the other outside receiver.

JuJu thrives in the slot. He was open a LOT, but the two QBs from last season refused to look at the middle of the field (let alone throw there). With Ben back, JuJu should be back to his old self: 1300 yard seasons.

IMO, a TE is a bigger need (if we target the skill positions). Personally, I’d rather draft an O-lineman.
    I agree completely, but Dang that Claypool would be a good Tweener to play inside with JuJu. Problem is I suspect he will go in the early second round. If sitting there. I trade our round two and next year's three to move up and grab him. But I doubt. That's how much of a value I think he can be as a mismatch tweener in the NFL. This guy has room to get to 245-250 pounds and still move at 4.5.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Reagor will probably be long gone before the Steelers have a chance to draft him.
    The Steelers like to meet with guys just in case they fall to a certain spot, I think. They keep who they really want rather quiet.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Is there already a "who the steelers are meeting with" thread or will each get their own thread? OR maybe making this thread the all encompassing thread? Reason I ask is many on here do not know these players being met with beyond measurements and other's opinions. I was considering a thread that gives stats and opinions plus highlights and game films for those that want to see what the hype and/or miscues look like with the different players. But I also don't want to muddy things up with multiple threads for the same purposes and only making things more chaotic and confusing. OR I can just leave things alone, I'm ok with that too.