Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason La Canfora Doesn’t Expect Steelers To Keep TE Vance McDonald

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Jason La Canfora Doesn’t Expect Steelers To Keep TE Vance McDonald

Dump McDonald, keep McDonald, just draft a TE.

Pittsburgh Steelers
    tight end Vance McDonald is currently scheduled to earn $6.4 million in base salary and bonuses in 2020 if the team picks up his option by March 18. Many, however, don’t believe that McDonald will be part of the 2020 Steelers despite hints last week by general manager Kevin Colbert that he will be. CBS Sports insider Jason La Canfora is one of those people that doesn’t expect McDonald back with the Steelers in 2020 at his current contract numbers

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/ja...ance-mcdonald/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Jason La Canfora Doesn’t Expect Steelers To Keep TE Vance McDonald

I can't see Colbert letting this team have a hole at TE entering the draft. So I don't see Vance being cut.

We'll see though.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I can't see Colbert letting this team have a hole at TE entering the draft. So I don't see Vance being cut.

We'll see though.
    Nor do I, just be sure to draft a TE!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I think it is the right move. As I said in the XFL post the Steelers should go after TE Donald Perham! Hopefully I spelled his name right.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

So does La Canfora think McDonald will end up playing with Bell in Philadelphia?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    So does La Canfora think McDonald will end up playing with Bell in Philadelphia?

LaConfora is the biggest hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Somebody look up Vance McDonald's career stats and explain why the Steelers should expect him to perform and should pay him anything more than NFL minimum.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Somehow I am sure they will keep him at the current salary because they like to hold on to players and coaches they should get rid of. After all they paid $4 million a year to keep Anthony Chickillo around so he could do nothing. Danny Smith is also still here

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Somebody look up Vance McDonald's career stats and explain why the Steelers should expect him to perform and should pay him anything more than NFL minimum.
    His first year with the Steelers was a wash. In 2018, he was 13th in the league for yards per reception. 21st in the league for catch percentage at 69.4 percent, and tied for 9th in the league for TDs (all TEs with 20 or more receptions). This year is a bit of a misnomer with the QB situation, but he was tied for 19th in the league for TDs, 30th in the league for Catch percent at 69.1, and 62nd in the league for yards per reception.

If we consider last year a bit of an aberration due to the QB situation (although his catch percentage remained the same), based on his 2018 year, there's reason to expect him to perform quite a bit above NFL minimum. However, he's also age 30 by the time next season starts. He's not going to outplay his 2018 year by much if he does at all.

This coming year, he'll have a cap value of 7.13 million (rounded off, of course). That puts him as the 12th highest paid TE in the league. Personally, I think pay-wise, giving a little grace for last year and weighing the 2018 season a bit heavier (and ignoring his first year here), he should slot in about 22nd highest paid. If you want to add his first year into the mix and weigh this last year heavier, then he should slot in around 30-35th. That's put him at $3.4 million this year for the former and 2.2 to 3 million a year for the latter.

Vet minimum this year for Vance M. is $945,000. So, yeah, based on his stats, I think he deserves more than Vet Minimum. However, at most, he only deserves about half of what he'd be making in the 2020 season, and more likely, only about 2.5 times Vet Minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    LaConfora is the biggest hack.
    I could care less about Injured McDonald or Hack LaConfora, I just want the Steelers to draft a TE, there are some good ones.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I think it is the right move. As I said in the XFL post the Steelers should go after TE Donald Perham! Hopefully I spelled his name right.
    Most of ya don't watch the XFL so wouldn't know!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I could care less about Injured McDonald or Hack LaConfora, I just want the Steelers to draft a TE, there are some good ones.
    I'm with you, I wouldn't mind one in round 2 actually. Anyway to help your QB

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

When McDonald was playing with Ben in 2018, McDonald was good (although not great).

In 2019, I don’t think that Rudolph ever three a pass to a TE. Duck maybe threw one pass to the TEs. It’s hyperbole, but I think we all get the point.

Also, in 2018, McDonald played the most snaps of any offensive player (except for the O-linemen). Injuries weren’t his downfall.

SUMMATION:
    McDonald is a good TE, but not worth the cap hit. If he restructures to take half of what he’s currently making, then why not keep him. Otherwise, use that money to extend JuJu (who should blow up again once he has a capable QB throwing him the ball).

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    When McDonald was playing with Ben in 2018, McDonald was good (although not great).

In 2019, I don’t think that Rudolph ever three a pass to a TE. Duck maybe threw one pass to the TEs. It’s hyperbole, but I think we all get the point.

Also, in 2018, McDonald played the most snaps of any offensive player (except for the O-linemen). Injuries weren’t his downfall.

SUMMATION:
    McDonald is a good TE, but not worth the cap hit. If he restructures to take half of what he’s currently making, then why not keep him. Otherwise, use that money to extend JuJu (who should blow up again once he has a capable QB throwing him the ball).
    Assessing how much of the 2019 drop off for McDonald, JuJu and the OL was due to no Ben is the multi-million $$$ question

There were two variables that changed for JuJu from 2018 to 2019 - no Ben and no AB

So the question is were AB and JuJu with Ben a 21st century version of Swann and Stallworth or a 21st century version of Michael Irvin and Alvin Harper

I would not extend JuJu until I could see how he performs when Ben is back without AB but since I believe the cupboard will be bare for big extensions if Dupree is franchised I do not see a JuJu extension under any circumstances

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Assessing how much of the 2019 drop off for McDonald, JuJu and the OL was due to no Ben is the multi-million $$$ question

There were two variables that changed for JuJu from 2018 to 2019 - no Ben and no AB

So the question is were AB and JuJu with Ben a 21st century version of Swann and Stallworth or a 21st century version of Michael Irvin and Alvin Harper

I would not extend JuJu until I could see how he performs when Ben is back without AB but since I believe the cupboard will be bare for big extensions if Dupree is franchised I do not see a JuJu extension under any circumstances
    For JuJu, that is indeed the $17 million question.

There are plenty of examples of JuJu being wide open. Rudolph and Duck simply would not throw it across the middle (which is where JuJu thrived). I’m fine with JuJu getting extended (but, I completely understand why others would be hesitant).

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    His first year with the Steelers was a wash. In 2018, he was 13th in the league for yards per reception. 21st in the league for catch percentage at 69.4 percent, and tied for 9th in the league for TDs (all TEs with 20 or more receptions). This year is a bit of a misnomer with the QB situation, but he was tied for 19th in the league for TDs, 30th in the league for Catch percent at 69.1, and 62nd in the league for yards per reception.

If we consider last year a bit of an aberration due to the QB situation (although his catch percentage remained the same), based on his 2018 year, there's reason to expect him to perform quite a bit above NFL minimum. However, he's also age 30 by the time next season starts. He's not going to outplay his 2018 year by much if he does at all.

This coming year, he'll have a cap value of 7.13 million (rounded off, of course). That puts him as the 12th highest paid TE in the league. Personally, I think pay-wise, giving a little grace for last year and weighing the 2018 season a bit heavier (and ignoring his first year here), he should slot in about 22nd highest paid. If you want to add his first year into the mix and weigh this last year heavier, then he should slot in around 30-35th. That's put him at $3.4 million this year for the former and 2.2 to 3 million a year for the latter.

Vet minimum this year for Vance M. is $945,000. So, yeah, based on his stats, I think he deserves more than Vet Minimum. However, at most, he only deserves about half of what he'd be making in the 2020 season, and more likely, only about 2.5 times Vet Minimum.
    Vance McDonald averages approx. 23 catches for 300 yards, 2 TD and 3 dropped passes per year and has never played a complete season of football in his career. Sure, maybe he is worth a $2million contract, but why are some fans so quick to love the mediocrity to this guy??

I think in his 8th season its time to give up on the "potential" Vance McDonald has. He is nothing more than a #2 TE that you can count on not being healthy enough to play at least 3 weeks per season.

Vance McDonald averages approx. 23 catches for 300 yards, 2 TD and 3 dropped passes per year and has never played a complete season of football in his career. Sure, maybe he is worth a $2million contract, but why are some fans so quick to love the mediocrity to this guy??

I think in his 8th season its time to give up on the "potential" Vance McDonald has. He is nothing more than a #2 TE that you can count on not being healthy enough to play at least 3 weeks per season.
    Because his stiff arm on a high tackling 190lb DB is all there is to remember about this guy.

Perhaps it's because it's not mediocrity in play, but mediocrity in availability and staying healthy. So, there's always that hope that next year, it'll all come together. In truth, I had to fight that same thing when posting the stats because I also noted like you said, he's past his "my prime is coming" years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Because his stiff arm on a high tackling 190lb DB is all there is to remember about this guy.
    Agreed. Hype and hope are what some fans cling to.

Vance McDonald is in his 8th year and just a meh TE that I expect to see in the injury report. I really cant wait until he isn't with the Steelers any longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Perhaps it's because it's not mediocrity in play, but mediocrity in availability and staying healthy. So, there's always that hope that next year, it'll all come together. In truth, I had to fight that same thing when posting the stats because I also noted like you said, he's past his "my prime is coming" years.
    I think the first 3 seasons in the NFL his dropped passes rate was the highest of any NFL TE. So its not mediocrity of play, but just poor play.

Also, an important ability in a football player is avail-ability. He doesn't really have that, so IMO there isn't any more hope for a guy that has a 7 year track record of injury.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Isn't McDonald exactly what he's paid as? A mediocre TE?

I get trying to improve on him, but are there a great many guys on non rookie deals that are cheaper and just dominating the TE position?

A quick glance and I don't see a starting TE on a non rookie contract who makes less per year than McDonald.

Please don't read this as an attempt to recast McDonald as a good or solution at TE. just that, the position is largely an overpriced wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Isn't McDonald exactly what he's paid as? A mediocre TE?

I get trying to improve on him, but are there a great many guys on non rookie deals that are cheaper and just dominating the TE position?

A quick glance and I don't see a starting TE on a non rookie contract who makes less per year than McDonald.

Please don't read this as an attempt to recast McDonald as a good or solution at TE. just that, the position is largely an overpriced wasteland.
    Nope, Vance McDonald is due $7.12 Million in 2020. He will be the 12th highest paid TE and I don't think he has produced as the 12th best TE in the league. If he is cut, the dead cap hit is approx. $1.4million, so release him and save $5.7 million to sign a veteran TE, draft one and use the extra money on a player that hasn't proven to be a 7 year bust.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Nope, Vance McDonald is due $7.12 Million in 2020. He will be the 12th highest paid TE and I don't think he has produced as the 12th best TE in the league. If he is cut, the dead cap hit is approx. $1.4million, so release him and save $5.7 million to sign a veteran TE, draft one and use the extra money on a player that hasn't proven to be a 7 year bust.
    But wouldn't a 5.7 million TE be Jesse James? The not good TE that even McDonald outplayed?

I'm all for cutting McDonald and fully expect it to happen. I just think the vet FA signing will be even worse. You don't get much for less than 6 million.

I think the first 3 seasons in the NFL his dropped passes rate was the highest of any NFL TE. So its not mediocrity of play, but just poor play.

Also, an important ability in a football player is avail-ability. He doesn't really have that, so IMO there isn't any more hope for a guy that has a 7 year track record of injury.
    True on his first few years, but in Pittsburgh, he's cleaned that up and is at a consistent 69 percent or so. Would I like to see that higher, absolutely, but not something I'll designate "poor play" at this point. Definitely mediocrity in that department. But, as I said, the bigger issue with him is that there seems to be a lot of potential, but it remains untapped and in a couple years or so, it'll be too late to tap it. So, yeah, give him an option to sign for two or three million, but I'd let him walk if he wants much more than that.

The consensus is the level of play of everyone on the offense fell from 2018 to 2019 with the switch from Ben to Mason/Duck

PFF ran a long article on McDonald going into the 2019 season and graded his 2018 performance as #8 for tight ends

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-te-vanc...ve-2019-season

The Steelers may need to get McDonald to take a haircut on his salary or release him because they need to go through the couch for spare change to franchise Dupree.

But if the assumption is the offense will be closer to 2018 than 2019 levels of performance across the board with the return of Ben then McDonald’s salary is not, based on his 2018 performance, grossly inflated as the 13th highest paid tight end going into the 2020 season (link to salaries below does not take into account anyone paid more than McDonald who may have been released)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/tight-end/

But wouldn't a 5.7 million TE be Jesse James? The not good TE that even McDonald outplayed?

I'm all for cutting McDonald and fully expect it to happen. I just think the vet FA signing will be even worse. You don't get much for less than 6 million.
    I wonder what the contract of Nick Vannett will be. Maybe $3 or 4 million? maybe less? Certainly should not be $7million like Greg Olsen.

I'd prefer a mid level vet like Vannett back, then draft a TE with early pick, but letting go of a 7 year bust should be a no brainer.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

We'll see though.
    Let's face it he barely had to play last season since none of the QB's we had starting could throw him the ball. If you're bringing Ben back (which clearly we are) you simply cannot leave the TE spot open. Unless we somehow land a better option between now and March 18th he won't be cut. But I could easily see this being his final year here.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Everyone talks about drafting a TE with our second round pick. I just don’t think there will be anyone there who will be a day one starter that’s nearly as good as McDonald.

And as others have said, who are you going to get that’s worth a damn as a FA that’s less than Mcdonald? We go back to Jesse James level of #1 TE?

Yes, McDonald is a gamble but one that at least has the potential of paying off in 2020.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Everyone talks about drafting a TE with our second round pick. I just don’t think there will be anyone there who will be a day one starter that’s nearly as good as McDonald.

And as others have said, who are you going to get that’s worth a damn as a FA that’s less than Mcdonald? We go back to Jesse James level of #1 TE?

Yes, McDonald is a gamble but one that at least has the potential of paying off in 2020.
    You don’t have to get one that’s less than McDonald but you can get one that is better than McDonald at possibly the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You don’t have to get one that’s less than McDonald but you can get one that is better than McDonald at possibly the same price.
    Really? Please, do tell.

Henry's getting the franchise tag. That's 10 million.

Who are the other sub 7 million FA TEs?

Honestly, I haven't looked at the list. Maybe I'm missing something.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Really? Please, do tell.

Henry's getting the franchise tag. That's 10 million.

Who are the other sub 7 million FA TEs?

Honestly, I haven't looked at the list. Maybe I'm missing something.
    I don’t know who will cost what, or who is worth what.

Here are some free agent TEs: Hooper, Henry, Ebron, Hollister, Jarwin, Reed, Witten, Eifert, Lewis, Bell, Clay...

Do any of these names sound interesting/doable?

Some of these guys are also big injury risks. I mean what a waste if talent Eifert has been. And Jordan Reed.

What is it with TEs? At least Jesses James was always available when he played for us.