Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More playoff teams expected under new CBA

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Re: More playoff teams expected under new CBA

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    JJ's been overrated and overpaid his entire career, what's he complaining about?
    I hope that's a sarcastic comment.
    3 DPOY awards being completely ripped off of being league MVP in 2014 and basically carrying that team that year solo.

but anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

with the money they make that's healthcare for life as it is haha

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The big deal will be to cut the game clock to 55 minutes and add more commercials.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    Not for the rank and file. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/01/here...-a-season.html

The vast majority of NFL players facing long-term health problems do not make anywhere near enough money to be set for life. And with the potential mental and physical toll that even 3 years in the NFL can take, they may face significant barriers to future employment.

But just, as always, these guys are going to be enticed by CBA terms that benefit the top few percentiles of players because they all think that they will be that guy.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The players are so bad at this. They could've used a 17th game to get a major concession. Say healthcare for life.

But they saw dollar signs and caved. Owners are playing them.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

I hope that's a sarcastic comment.
    3 DPOY awards being completely ripped off of being league MVP in 2014 and basically carrying that team that year solo.

but anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

Overrated and overpaid. I never saw him do anything in a big game. Now, the best defensive player of all time, Lawrence Taylor, played his best in big games when it counted the most. That's the difference.

Overrated and overpaid. I never saw him do anything in a big game. Now, the best defensive player of all time, Lawrence Taylor, played his best in big games when it counted the most. That's the difference.
    Fair but he also hasn't had many opportunities for 'big game' stuff as his team has mostly stunk.

But in saying that; that is also why I personally say Aaron Rodgers is overrated. He's had chances on NUMEROUS occasions and he more often than not lays an egg.
    2014, 16, 19 title games speak to that. But the media narrative for all those is hilarious.

Fair but he also hasn't had many opportunities for 'big game' stuff as his team has mostly stunk.

But in saying that; that is also why I personally say Aaron Rodgers is overrated. He's had chances on NUMEROUS occasions and he more often than not lays an egg.
    2014, 16, 19 title games speak to that. But the media narrative for all those is hilarious.

There's no denying Aaron Rodgers is a gifted athlete but I think many are coming around to your point of view. He had a lot of chances that he didn't/couldn't take advantage of.

There's no denying Aaron Rodgers is a gifted athlete but I think many are coming around to your point of view. He had a lot of chances that he didn't/couldn't take advantage of.
    I've never denied he's a good QB part of that upper echelon BUT and i stress the BUT is he really that much better than all the others within that grouping?
    I say no they're all interchangeable on any given Sunday meaning anyone of them can out perform the other.

My biggest gripe is how the general population just goes with the consensus of what the media tells you.
    In saying that I also forgot about how they went 15-1 in 2011 and got drilled at home to the Giants lol

The masses and media always come up with excuses as to why the fake legend that is Aaron Rodgers keeps losing
    in 2011 I think it was the defense was terrible...fair but you don't just go 15-1 randomly
    2014 had a plethora of excuses, his bum calf (to me that's only an excuse had he NOT played but he did sooooo...) and all anyone focuses on is muffed onside kick. That's fantastic but had HE played better being up 16-0 at half time and did more with his stellar defense in that specific game with them gifting him 5 turnovers that onside kick is actually irrelevant
    2016 was all his receivers were injured or who knows but they got their asses handed to them being down 31-0 before the falcons allowed them to score
    2019 almost identical against the 49ers

But yet the media which then leafs to the general public fandom will say well you can't never blame AR that's blasphemy.

I'm in the minority but after the coach who always takes the brunt of the blame when you have a star/elite QB they should shoulder the blame just as much including Aaron 'Overrated' Rodgers.

I'm also a huge Ben supporter but they've/he's blown certain moments in the playoffs as well
    2007 (jags)
    2011 (broncos)
    2014 (ravens)
    2015 (broncos)
    2017 (jags)
    like anything it is what it is and you move on

I've never denied he's a good QB part of that upper echelon BUT and i stress the BUT is he really that much better than all the others within that grouping?
    I say no they're all interchangeable on any given Sunday meaning anyone of them can out perform the other.

My biggest gripe is how the general population just goes with the consensus of what the media tells you.
    In saying that I also forgot about how they went 15-1 in 2011 and got drilled at home to the Giants lol

The masses and media always come up with excuses as to why the fake legend that is Aaron Rodgers keeps losing
    in 2011 I think it was the defense was terrible...fair but you don't just go 15-1 randomly
    2014 had a plethora of excuses, his bum calf (to me that's only an excuse had he NOT played but he did sooooo...) and all anyone focuses on is muffed onside kick. That's fantastic but had HE played better being up 16-0 at half time and did more with his stellar defense in that specific game with them gifting him 5 turnovers that onside kick is actually irrelevant
    2016 was all his receivers were injured or who knows but they got their asses handed to them being down 31-0 before the falcons allowed them to score
    2019 almost identical against the 49ers

But yet the media which then leafs to the general public fandom will say well you can't never blame AR that's blasphemy.

I'm in the minority but after the coach who always takes the brunt of the blame when you have a star/elite QB they should shoulder the blame just as much including Aaron 'Overrated' Rodgers.

I'm also a huge Ben supporter but they've/he's blown certain moments in the playoffs as well
    2007 (jags)
    2011 (broncos)
    2014 (ravens)
    2015 (broncos)
    2017 (jags)
    like anything it is what it is and you move on

Well, Rogers/Green Bay sells.

Well, Rogers/Green Bay sells.
    Sure there's the 'popularity' of certain teams and that's fine.
    When the schedule comes out the Steelers, Pats, Packers, Cowboys, Giants, 49ers (now), Seattle, KC, usually get the standard 5 PRIME TIME games
    then you get certain teams that can still suck or not as popular to a certain extent but get 3 or 4 like the Redskins, Bears, Ravens, Jets (they seem to get a Thursday and 2 Mondays), Rams, Raiders

So I get what you mean but I meant that the media never says Rodgers has a bad game its the 'everyone' but him syndrome. I don't see it that way but here we are haha

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

for those who haven't seen or hear as of yet
    based on the new format in the the only team that would have benefited the most is the Steelers as they wouldn't have missed the playoffs in the last decade.
    Plus adding one team isn't terrible
    top seed gets the all important bye
    2 vs 7
    3 vs 6
    4 vs 5
    The NFL playoffs of 6 teams per conference is rather strong. Seldom is there a .500 team in the mix. I guess if you go with a 17 game schedule you won't get a .500 in the mix very often. It's probably good for business overall, as it will keep rating high, but I worry about about team taking if they have the 2d or 3rd spot locked up with not chance at the #1 seed.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Jerry Jones channeling his inner Godfather in sending the message to the players this deal is not getting any better

"Jerry said to the players, 'Listen, you are all going to get more money, you are going to win.' ... He told them if they wanted to vote against, that was their right, but then it was going to get bad. He said he wasn't threatening them, just saying what was going to happen. He said there were certain things he wanted in the deal that he could not have, like caps on what every position can make. The players still had 15 of 32 reps not vote for it ... but I thought what Jerry said was very interesting."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ayers-voted-no

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

What gets me is Roger tosses around player safety to legislate kickoff returns out of the game, he did the same to make onside kicks far harder than they ought to be, he yells player safety to justify muddying what a legal tackle is, and he even does it to shorten overtime by 5 minutes (singularly the dumbest decision of his tenure, and that's saying A LOT given the sheer volume of bad decisions he's accumulated). But now the idea of player safety is tossed out the window just to make a quick buck with a 17th game. Roger showed that he really interested in player safety, he is only interested in changing everything so the NFL can fit into his messed up vision. There is no doubt Roger has turned the NFL into a lesser product and the end of his tenure can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    What gets me is Roger tosses around player safety to legislate kickoff returns out of the game, he did the same to make onside kicks far harder than they ought to be, he yells player safety to justify muddying what a legal tackle is, and he even does it to shorten overtime by 5 minutes (singularly the dumbest decision of his tenure, and that's saying A LOT given the sheer volume of bad decisions he's accumulated). But now the idea of player safety is tossed out the window just to make a quick buck with a 17th game. Roger showed that he really interested in player safety, he is only interested in changing everything so the NFL can fit into his messed up vision. There is no doubt Roger has turned the NFL into a lesser product and the end of his tenure can't come soon enough.
    Roger is a staffer for the owners and is not calling the shots - when they say jump Roger’s only response is how high

The owners want increased revenue to support those inflated franchise values and adding a 17th game will get that by increasing TV revenues by either the current broadcasters paying more and/or carving out a set of games to sell exclusively to an online streaming service

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Roger is a staffer for the owners and is not calling the shots - when they say jump Roger’s only response is how high

The owners need increased revenue to support those inflated franchise values and adding a 17th game will get that by increasing TV revenues by either the current broadcasters paying more and/or carving out a set of games to sell exclusively to an online streaming service
    Yup. Goodell is a convenience lightening rod or figurehead or whatever. But he isn't executing some bold new vision based on his own ideas. This is a gameplan being rolled out by Kraft, Jones, and whatever other owners are in power now. I know Jerry Jones and Kraft hold tremendous sway among the owners because whenever they are listened to, the value of the franchises goes up.

None of the owners care about taking less $$$ to make the product better or ensure the long-term health of the league. Just make money now and hope the future takes care of itself.

Link to a good article on how the players once again get the short end of the stick in the proposed CBA.

Player leadership has said the Owners, in negotiating this deal, made 17 games “non-negotiable.” Of course they did. They want to grow their business, and adding inventory is an easy and efficient way to grow. But if the Owners chose make 17 games non-negotiable, why wouldn’t the Players then pick their issue to make “non-negotiable?”...

If the Players could only make only one change about the proposed CBA on the table, I would suggest they make it shorter and/or have an opt-out—even if a mutual one with the Owners—after 3-5 years....

Of all the dozens of deal points, the key tradeoff for the Players for giving up the 17th game is the Revenue Split (RS).

As background, the Players and Owners, prior to the 2011 CBA, had a RS that was, net/net, roughly a 50/50 partnership. As mentioned above, the Owners were not happy with that arrangement—the Cap spiked in 2006 and ’07—and they renegotiated a 53/47 RS advantage over the Players. Now, in exchange for the Players giving in to a 17th game, the Owners are willing to give back half (1.5%) of what they took away. Yet, in one of the more starkly unfair parts of this deal, the RS would remain the same, 47%, in 2020.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/03/pr...-revenue-split

As Mojouw has posted previously, the players are really bad at this. But when the majority of your membership has very short careers and is extremely reluctant to miss a paycheck with a lockout or strike the owners have overwhelming leverage.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

How the hell is this thread the top one in the NFL forum? Has Antonio Brown really not done anything stupid for a whole week?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    How the hell is this thread the top one in the NFL forum? Has Antonio Brown really not done anything stupid for a whole week?
    I highly doubt it. We just haven't heard about it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Reporting every little thing that AB is doing was sooo “last week”.

We’ve moved on to the “Tom Brady will sign with the Los Angeles Lakers” rumor mill.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Reporting every little thing that AB is doing was sooo “last week”.

We’ve moved on to the “Tom Brady will sign with the Los Angeles Lakers” rumor mill.
    AB is going to sign with whichever team Tom Brady ends up going to...

In addition to being a coach killer, the great Aaron Rodgers has decided to flex his leadership skills by calling out his teammates on ratification of the CBA

He believes too many players are failing to take the time to fully understand what they’re getting.

“There’s not a lot of critical thinking going on,” Rodgers said. “There was a ton of information out there, I sent out a large email, and you email 73 guys, and how many responses you’re getting back on this 2,000-word email that goes out, you’d be really disappointed with the actual answer. That’s the problem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nt/4978852002/

Hard to tell if Rodgers is more upset about players not joining him in opposing the CBA or in ignoring his 2000 word email

In addition to being a coach killer, the great Aaron Rodgers has decided to flex his leadership skills by calling out his teammates on ratification of the CBA

He believes too many players are failing to take the time to fully understand what they’re getting.

“There’s not a lot of critical thinking going on,” Rodgers said. “There was a ton of information out there, I sent out a large email, and you email 73 guys, and how many responses you’re getting back on this 2,000-word email that goes out, you’d be really disappointed with the actual answer. That’s the problem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nt/4978852002/

Hard to tell if Rodgers is more upset about players not joining him in opposing the CBA or in ignoring his 2000 word email
    I suspect he’s really trying to nicely say that most of these guys are barely literate mouth breathing morons that are continually trounced by the owners in negotiations because they are to stupid to be left to make decisions on their own.

Kind of a hard position to be in. I don’t think he’s handled it well. But I suspect he’s right.

I’ve heard many players believe if they don’t ratify the CBA, there won’t be a season. Therefore, they’re just gonna vote yes so they get paid.

Anyways, everyone knows the way to lead on the CBA is ranting on video in your car Pouncey style.

I’ve heard many players believe if they don’t ratify the CBA, there won’t be a season. Therefore, they’re just gonna vote yes so they get paid.
    It is like politics - all depends what issues matter to that voter and which candidate allegedly shares their position

Rodgers believes the proposal, which does not include a 50-50 revenue split, focuses too much on lessening training camp practices and marijuana testing instead of more substantive concessions.

Wealthy player who can afford to miss some paychecks, is more likely not to use marijuana frequently, plays few snaps in preseason games that will be reduced, and wears a red jersey in practice so he does not get hit is upset with players not sharing his views

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It is like politics - all depends what issues matter to that voter and which candidate allegedly shares their position

Rodgers believes the proposal, which does not include a 50-50 revenue split, focuses too much on lessening training camp practices and marijuana testing instead of more substantive concessions.

Wealthy player who can afford to miss some paychecks, is more likely not to use marijuana frequently, plays few snaps in preseason games that will be reduced, and wears a red jersey in practice so he does not get hit is upset with players not sharing his views
    Well said.

More playoff teams expected under new CBA

There are NO game checks to miss at this point. There will be a 2020 season regardless of how the CBA vote goes.

While I do not think Rodgers is totally in the right here, I am certain that the players regularly get hosed in negotiations because most of them totally fail to understand what they are voting on.

Just like politics.

There are NO game checks to miss at this point. There will be a 2020 season regardless of how the CBA vote goes.

While I do not think Rodgers is totally in the right here, I am certain that the players regularly get hosed in negotiations because most of them totally fail to understand what they are voting on.

Just like politics.
    Well aware the CBA runs through the end of the 2020 season - which I suppose raises the question of why the NFLPA is even negotiating now unless they know a big % of the players are terrified of not getting a new deal prior to a potential strike/lockout (owners want a deal now to do new TV deals after two seasons of better ratings before potential ratings declines due to viewers being fixated on the upcoming campaign circus and an economy that was anticipated to potentially decline even before the recent ongoing unpleasantness)

Jerry Jones and other owners have sent the message this deal is as good as it is going to get and if you think you have the leverage to get a better one in 2021 remember who has the ability to get through a disruption of income

That resonates a lot more with non-starters who make up half the NFLPA membership and are receptive to an increase in league minimum salaries than it does with a franchise QB in the autumn of his career who has been making bank since 2005 and may very well be resented by the players because of that as much as the owners are

No surprise a franchise QB living in a bubble of adulation may be oblivious to the fact he may not be the best advocate for getting the rank and file to oppose the proposed CBA

Well aware the CBA runs through the end of the 2020 season - which I suppose raises the question of why the NFLPA is even negotiating now unless they know a big % of the players are terrified of not getting a new deal prior to a potential strike/lockout (owners want a deal now to do new TV deals after two seasons of better ratings before potential ratings declines due to viewers being fixated on the upcoming campaign circus and an economy that was anticipated to potentially decline even before the recent ongoing unpleasantness)

Jerry Jones and other owners have sent the message this deal is as good as it is going to get and if you think you have the leverage to get a better one in 2021 remember who has the ability to get through a disruption of income

That resonates a lot more with non-starters who make up half the NFLPA membership and are receptive to an increase in league minimum salaries than it does with a franchise QB in the autumn of his career who has been making bank since 2005 and may very well be resented by the players because of that as much as the owners are

No surprise a franchise QB living in a bubble of adulation may be oblivious to the fact he may not be the best advocate for getting the rank and file to oppose the proposed CBA
    Sorry. Wasn’t trying to say you didn’t know that. I am stating that a large % of the voting players do believe that.

The players are mostly dumb. It’s not surprising that a group of voters who struggle to memorize playbooks does not totally understand the complexities of labor negotiations. That’s where I do agree with Pouncey and Rodgers.

I think AB is closer to the mental state of say a third of the league. What do we figure he understands about the CBA?

The owners were very clever here. They made, for them, minor financial giveaways that immediately impact the bank accounts of the majority of union members in order to secure the two things they truly want; revenue and an extra game.

The players would be fools to take this without another round of negotiating. The owners need labor peace for the TV deal. The players also could walk and swell the ranks of the XFL. Despite what Jerrah says, they do have leverage.

But they are too fractious of a Union to get on the same page. And the owners structured their deal as a wedge at those divisions.

Sorry. Wasn’t trying to say you didn’t know that. I am stating that a large % of the voting players do believe that.

The players are mostly dumb. It’s not surprising that a group of voters who struggle to memorize playbooks does not totally understand the complexities of labor negotiations. That’s where I do agree with Pouncey and Rodgers.

I think AB is closer to the mental state of say a third of the league. What do we figure he understands about the CBA?

The owners were very clever here. They made, for them, minor financial giveaways that immediately impact the bank accounts of the majority of union members in order to secure the two things they truly want; revenue and an extra game.

The players would be fools to take this without another round of negotiating. The owners need labor peace for the TV deal. The players also could walk and swell the ranks of the XFL. Despite what Jerrah says, they do have leverage.

But they are too fractious of a Union to get on the same page. And the owners structured their deal as a wedge at those divisions.
    Certainly no need to apologize - we are on the same page that the NFLPA negotiators are just hopelessly outgunned given the conflicts within their membership and with only one side in the negotiation is willing to take a shutdown

Meanwhile the owners tighten the screws on getting ratification now with this leak to ESPN

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    AB is going to sign with whichever team Tom Brady ends up going to...
    No joke. Really. That is the newest rumor.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Top 8 teams get a first week bye in each conference and every team makes the playoffs (Call it the Bernie Sanders plan to be fair).

Then in week #2:

1 v gets another bye.
    2 v gets another bye.
    3 v gets another bye.
    4 v gets another bye.
    5 v lowest remaining seed.
    6 v lowest remaining seed.
    7 v lowest remaining seed.
    8 v lowest remaining seed.

Week #3:

1 v lowest remaining seed.
    2 v lowest remaining seed.
    3 v lowest remaining seed.
    4 v lowest remaining seed.

Week #4:

Highest seed plays lowest
    Middle seeds play.

Week #5:

Conference Championship Games

Week #7:

Superbowl

Week #8:

The Superbowl Champion has to play whichever team is currently leading in the NHL in a winner take all badminton game.

Season ends in April followed immediately by the combine and draft (the week after combine).