Thread: Predict the Offseason Moves

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Predict the Offseason Moves

Let's take a crack at what roster moves the team makes between the start of the league year and the draft.

1. McDonald, Foster, Chickillo, Berry, Barron are all cut.
    2. Heyward is extended.
    3. Roethlisberger is restructured.
    4. So are Decastro and Tuitt.
    5. Trade a 4th to the Browns for David Ninja Gaiden.
    6. Sign a cheap DT in FA.
    7. Sign a cheap TE, WR, and RB in FA.
    8. Dupree is signed to first the Franchise Tag and then a 3 year deal.

Colbert then enters the draft with no gaping holes on the roster and who knows what happens next...that's another thread!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Predict the Offseason Moves

Here we go:

1. All are cut
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Yes and yes
    5. Interesting
    6. They never enter the draft with a “hole”
    7. (see: #7)
    8. Yes... and five years

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

1. All but McDonald released
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Yes to DeCastro, no to Tuitt
    5. No - need the draft pick
    6. Yes
    7. No
    8. Yes to tag, no to long term Dupree deal

Bill Barnwell has an article linked below on offseason moves for AFC North teams.

He says Barron and maybe Chickillo (if Chickillo does not replace Dupree) are released, Steelers draft an OL, JuJu gets a new deal (I disagree) and Dupree, who Barnwell believes will revert to his pre-2019 form, leaves in free agency

Dupree was a middling 52nd in ESPN's pass rush win rate, which was right in line with Terrell Suggs

Barnwell also notes a wrinkle that could make restructuring contracts more difficult going into the last year of the current CBA

Pittsburgh is looking at restructuring deals, which will be trickier given that the final year of the collective bargaining agreement mandates that contracts honor the 30% rule.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ee-agency-cuts

This article linked by Barnwell goes into greater detail on the 30% rule

Article 13, Section 7 of the CBA mandates that "no player contract extending into a season beyond the Final League Year may provide for an annual increase in salary ... of more than 30 percent of the salary provided for in the Final League Year, per year, either in the season after the Final League Year or in any subsequent season covered by the Player Contract."

So if a player signs a five-year contract this offseason, and his 2020 salary is $10 million, the rules state his scheduled 2021, 2022 and 2023 salaries can't be higher than $13 million, $16 million and $19 million, respectively.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...2020-offseason

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think Bidwell is out of touch on this one.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    1. All but McDonald released
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Yes to DeCastro, no to Tuitt
    5. No - need the draft pick
    6. Yes
    7. No
    8. Yes to tag, no to long term Dupree deal

Bill Barnwell has an article linked below on offseason moves for AFC North teams.

He says Barron and maybe Chickillo (if Chickillo does not replace Dupree) are released, Steelers draft an OL, JuJu gets a new deal (I disagree) and Dupree, who Barnwell believes will revert to his pre-2019 form, leaves in free agency

Dupree was a middling 52nd in ESPN's pass rush win rate, which was right in line with Terrell Suggs

Barnwell also notes a wrinkle that could make restructuring contracts more difficult going into the last year of the current CBA

Pittsburgh is looking at restructuring deals, which will be trickier given that the final year of the collective bargaining agreement mandates that contracts honor the 30% rule.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ee-agency-cuts

This article linked by Barnwell goes into greater detail on the 30% rule

Article 13, Section 7 of the CBA mandates that "no player contract extending into a season beyond the Final League Year may provide for an annual increase in salary ... of more than 30 percent of the salary provided for in the Final League Year, per year, either in the season after the Final League Year or in any subsequent season covered by the Player Contract."

So if a player signs a five-year contract this offseason, and his 2020 salary is $10 million, the rules state his scheduled 2021, 2022 and 2023 salaries can't be higher than $13 million, $16 million and $19 million, respectively.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...2020-offseason
    I didn't realize that applied to all contracts. I knew it was restructures. Sheesh. That's gonna mean basically no difference between the tag and a multiple year deal for Dupree.

So tag 'em? I guess?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I didn't realize that applied to all contracts. I knew it was restructures. Sheesh. That's gonna mean basically no difference between the tag and a multiple year deal for Dupree.

So tag 'em? I guess?
    FWIW Dupree fired his agent so apparently Bud was not happy with the status of any negotiations with the Steelers for a long term deal in the run up to free agency

FWIW Dupree fired his agent so apparently Bud was not happy with the status of any negotiations with the Steelers for a long term deal in the run up to free agency

Lots of rumblings in the past 24 hours that a new CBA is going to get done sooner rather than later. May be great news for the Steelers. Assuming the 30% rule goes away with a new CBA. Makes contracts AND restructures possible. While it may not be the best idea(s) -- the team could then restructure a bunch of contracts to free up a much larger bit of cap space than the 30% restriction allows them currently.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Let's take a crack at what roster moves the team makes between the start of the league year and the draft.

2. Heyward is extended.

Colbert then enters the draft with no gaping holes on the roster and who knows what happens next...that's another thread!
    1. All except McDonald and Berry.
    2. Yep
    3. I can see it happening
    4. I can see it happening
    5. I like this idea. I've also thrown around the idea of OJ Howard but no talk of the Bucs wanting to move him.
    6. Yep. I'm hoping McLendon gets cut from NYJ
    7. Yep.
    8. Just tag.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 02-21-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I would do it all. McDonald is slated to make more than he’s worth and I’d rather spend that (or a bit more) on a guy like Henry. I like McDonald, but not at that price. All those moves would free up a nice chunk of money to actually make some game changing moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Predict the Offseason Moves

If the team were to executes Mojouw’s plan, just in the cap cuts, they’d free up around $21M. I believe they sit at $4M now. That’s $25M. One article said they could simply restructure Ben by shifting money and that would free up almost $4M more. That’s $29M and you haven’t even approached DeCastro, Tuitt, Heyward or Nelson for an extension or restructure...

Galaxy brain take from Peter King on the offseason move the Steelers need to make

I think I really want the Steelers to sign Jameis Winston. Sit for a year, get him ready to conditionally succeed Ben Roethlisberger, and if the interceptions continue in 2021, he’s gone after one season. Risky, but the upside could be pretty great. Now, the contract would have to be one Winston would want to do; he’d likely have a chance to play sooner elsewhere if he leaves Tampa. I’m just talking about a coach-player relationship (Mike Tomlin-Winston) dynamic I’d like to see. Plus, I’d rather have Winston on the rebound than Mason Rudolph or Devlin Hodges or a draft pick that could be used in a wiser way.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ay-peter-king/

WTF?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Galaxy brain take from Peter King on the offseason move the Steelers need to make

I think I really want the Steelers to sign Jameis Winston. Sit for a year, get him ready to conditionally succeed Ben Roethlisberger, and if the interceptions continue in 2021, he’s gone after one season. Risky, but the upside could be pretty great. Now, the contract would have to be one Winston would want to do; he’d likely have a chance to play sooner elsewhere if he leaves Tampa. I’m just talking about a coach-player relationship (Mike Tomlin-Winston) dynamic I’d like to see. Plus, I’d rather have Winston on the rebound than Mason Rudolph or Devlin Hodges or a draft pick that could be used in a wiser way.

WTF?
    I hope Peter King didn't pull a brain muscle thinking so hard of that idea

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

WTF?
    From the angle of we once signed Michael Vick.......why not?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If the team were to executes Mojouw’s plan, just in the cap cuts, they’d free up around $21M. I believe they sit at $4M now. That’s $25M. One article said they could simply restructure Ben by shifting money and that would free up almost $4M more. That’s $29M and you haven’t even approached DeCastro, Tuitt, Heyward or Nelson for an extension or restructure...
    With the restructure sign Dupree to a long term deal, sign an impactful TE and WR in FA. Draft for OL and RB. Any money left over pickup a Punter. I’m on the fence with another backup QB.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’ll give Winston this much credit: his memory is the shortest I’ve ever seen.

He’ll throw three INTs in a row and have zero fear of throwing again on his fourth attempt.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

He’ll throw three INTs in a row and have zero fear of throwing again on his fourth attempt.
    Yeah his team can be losing 21-14 and he's the only QB who's touched the ball!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I like lack of memory in a CB. Not in a QB.

I hate everything about the idea of signing Winston except for the most important one... it won’t actually happen.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

2. Heyward is extended.

I’m torn about the whole Mcdonald thing. Yes, he is a health gamble, but with Ben behind center he will be utilized correctly, and he is a great weapon with the ball in his hands. We are not going to be able to replace him with any kind of year one quality TE in the draft. So we’d have to go to free agency. If Henry is cheaper, and we know we can get him, that’s maybe the one scenario I’m okay with. But Henry will also be in demand. The Patriots will probably go after him. I’m afraid of going into the season without a real quality pass catching TE for Ben to use as a security blanket.

Is Mcdonald more expensive than he’s worth? Only if he gets injured. That’s the gamble. I’m not going to judge his production based on last year’s QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I’m torn about the whole Mcdonald thing. Yes, he is a health gamble, but with Ben behind center he will be utilized correctly, and he is a great weapon with the ball in his hands. We are not going to be able to replace him with any kind of year one quality TE in the draft. So we’d have to go to free agency. If Henry is cheaper, and we know we can get him, that’s maybe the one scenario I’m okay with. But Henry will also be in demand. The Patriots will probably go after him. I’m afraid of going into the season without a real quality pass catching TE for Ben to use as a security blanket.

Is Mcdonald more expensive than he’s worth? Only if he gets injured. That’s the gamble. I’m not going to judge his production based on last year’s QBs.
    1. Henry will be out of our price range. He’s the #1 TE free agent.

2. The Chargers are planning on tagging him.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

and once Henry is tagged Austin Hooper will become the #1 prized free agent TE and move way out of our price range also.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    and once Henry is tagged Austin Hooper will become the #1 prized free agent TE and move way out of our price range also.
    Right, so Henry and Hooper aren’t possibilities. So where does that leave us at TE if we cut McDonald? Who could we get for the money that’s better?

Based on availability and production, Hooper should be the #1.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Right, so Henry and Hooper aren’t possibilities. So where does that leave us at TE if we cut McDonald? Who could we get for the money that’s better?
    Possibly Eric Ebron. Also, everyone wants to cut McDonald. They could also extend him and bring his number down to a reasonable number.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Possibly Eric Ebron. Also, everyone wants to cut McDonald. They could also extend him and bring his number down to a reasonable number.
    I’d be for that. Ebron wouldn’t be much of an upgrade. He drops a lot of balls from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I’d be for that. Ebron wouldn’t be much of an upgrade. He drops a lot of balls from what I hear.
    I think in Indianapolis his drops were under control...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2. Heyward is extended.

1. I think McDonald and Foster are on the 53. Foster is in his last contract. He's due to make $5.5M and most likely retire at the end of this season at 35 years old. McDonald is under contract for 1 through 2021. I believe his money will get pushed around to lower his total cap hit but being as thin at TE as the Steelers are I don't see a cut and making the position worse.
    1b. Barron and Chickillo are more likely to be cap cuts at $8M and $7M respectively and both UFAs in 2021. I would predict an attempt at a friendly 3 year deal but bot being cut eventually.
    1c. Berry??? $2M I don't know but I'll say not cut.

2. I think it will be tough to extend and re-negotiate while this new CBA is getting ironed out. Unless it's only to move money to a more player friendly guaranteed/signing bonus structure. So I guess yes to a restructure.
    3. I think Ben is on his last contract and he knows it. I think he just plays out what he has unless it's just a move around like I said before. No to a restructure.
    4. I really don't get into all of the how money gets moved so that players get happy and teams get more cap space but this can happen but I don't see any extensions. yes to restructure.

5. Njoku is a $3M 4th year TE with a 5th year option. I'd make that deal. I don't believe it can get done for a 4th though. I will say no to that specific trade but yes that a trade will get done.

6. I don't see the need so no to a FA DT.

7. No to a FA TE or RB. Yes to a FA WR.

8. I think your Dupree deal here is perfect. Tag plus a 3 year deal getting worked out later.

Adding 1 prediction of my own to this: The Steelers will draft a QB at pick #49 unless the trade in prediction 5 is for a QB.