Thread: Steelers want injured LB Ryan Shazier to return while dealing with ‘unique situation

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers want injured LB Ryan Shazier to return while dealing with ‘unique situation

Ryan Shazier has not played in the NFL for two seasons as he rehabilitates from spinal stabilization surgery, and there is no indication the Pittsburgh Steelers inside linebacker is ready to come back to the field in 2020.

Still, the Steelers continue to support Shazier’s comeback as they try to figure out how he fits on the team’s roster.

“It’s a unique situation,” general manager Kevin Colbert said Thursday when he met with select members of the media.

Team president Art Rooney said in January that Shazier’s contract from 2019 will not toll even though he spent a second consecutive season on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list.......

read more @ https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...que-situation/

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers want injured LB Ryan Shazier to return while dealing with ‘unique situation

I am glad they are there to support him, eventually I think everyone will realize he is never going to play again, but hopefully he can coach.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers want injured LB Ryan Shazier to return while dealing with ‘unique situation

Am I the only person who cringes at the thought of Shazier playing again?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I have cringed at the idea for years, but he has his mind set on it.
    Kudos to the team and FO for rallying around him and supporting him through this.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I have cringed at the idea for years, but he has his mind set on it.
    Kudos to the team and FO for rallying around him and supporting him through this.
    Hope is a powerful thing. I’m certain that it has aided Shazier’s recovery.

But, I’ll be scared to death to see him playing ever again.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Hope is a powerful thing. I’m certain that it has aided Shazier’s recovery.

But, I’ll be scared to death to see him playing ever again.

I think everyone will be scared to death if he is ever able to play again.

I just hope he has that chance because it is his life and his choice. Personally, I am praying that he recovers fully from his injury, is cleared to play, and then he and his family decide he should retire as a player and become part of the coaching staff and organization.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

No. I do too. He was great, but playing again isn't worth the quality of the rest of his life. I understand the passion be has for the game, but I seriously doubt he will make back.... and I think it's foolish to attempt it. But, that's just my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Unless there has been a massive and as of yet undocumented physical improvement on Shazier's part, no one is going to have to worry about him playing again. I think it is admirable that the team and Shazier have worked diligently to get as far in his rehab as he has, but at this point, anyone taking his "comeback" as a serious possibility is just being polite.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think everyone will be scared to death if he is ever able to play again.

I just hope he has that chance because it is his life and his choice. Personally, I am praying that he recovers fully from his injury, is cleared to play, and then he and his family decide he should retire as a player and become part of the coaching staff and organization.
    I hope he gets well enough “to play” but only plays one snap... as part of the victory formation in Super Bowl LVI.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

"Being able to play" and therefore live a normal life regarding mobility is best case scenario.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I hope Ryan does not try to play football way too risky!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

NO !

have said all along him playing again while it may be a goal of his , its not a smart move .... be happy to regain a normal life if that is even possible
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I do, but honestly he's a grown man and an adult. I certainly will be the last person to stop him if he wants to play again. I'm sure he is aware of the risk more than anyone else.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

I agree with FG...he plays again and he's an inspiration to tens of thousands of people who suffer spinal injuries every year in the US. He's a grown ass man! He can do whatever the frack he wants to do. If his docs clear him to play, and he's good enough to play...PLAY!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d the Doctors say he can, then there’s no reason to think he can’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Barring a miracle, there is no way he is playing again. It's great that he has managed to do all these things like walking and working out, and it looks like he will be able to get around and live more or less normally. But that is a LONG way from playing pro football.

Last I saw, he still walked with a noticeable limp, which is a no-go for football right off the bat. After two-plus years, that is probably permanent.

I'm glad he is being kept around regardless, because he seems like he really understands the game and is a natural leader, both of which are really good to have around.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Trust me I lived in Philly when Lindros went through his "saga" with his concussions. In 2000, all season long he was out and people were like, look this dude needs to retire he's one more hit from vegetable status. He pushed and pushed all season and came back in game #7 of the Eastern Conference Finals and we all know what Scott Stevens did to him. He even tried to come back from that after the Flyers traded him to the Rangers but he was just NEVER the same player retiring quietly a few years later.

Shazier should never play another NFL down.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Barring a miracle, there is no way he is playing again. It's great that he has managed to do all these things like walking and working out, and it looks like he will be able to get around and live more or less normally. But that is a LONG way from playing pro football.

Last I saw, he still walked with a noticeable limp, which is a no-go for football right off the bat. After two-plus years, that is probably permanent.

I'm glad he is being kept around regardless, because he seems like he really understands the game and is a natural leader, both of which are really good to have around.
    Yeah. The hard truth is that you only have to watch any of the publicly available video of Shazier moving around and it is obvious that he is just miles away from the baseline physical abilities needed to play elite professional sports. I'm rooting for the guy and do not doubt his effort or dedication, but he is going to come up against some harsh limitations and have to make a call at some point.

Here are some clips from August of this past year. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...spine-surgery/

That is not the balance and fluidity of a professional athlete. Granted it looks better than I do walking around many days...

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

No reputable and ethical neurosurgeon would ever give him clearance to play.

You give him the OK, he plays and is paralyzed. Get ready for the lawsuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Trust me I lived in Philly when Lindros went through his "saga" with his concussions. In 2000, all season long he was out and people were like, look this dude needs to retire he's one more hit from vegetable status. He pushed and pushed all season and came back in game #7 of the Eastern Conference Finals and we all know what Scott Stevens did to him. He even tried to come back from that after the Flyers traded him to the Rangers but he was just NEVER the same player retiring quietly a few years later.

Shazier should never play another NFL down.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    No reputable and ethical neurosurgeon would ever give him clearance to play.

You give him the OK, he plays and is paralyzed. Get ready for the lawsuits.
    I don't think it is ever going to get within shouting distance of either a Lindros situation or the ethical decision by a doctor. No one besides Ryan Shazier wants him to play in the NFL right now. He simply is not able to perform even the basic functions of an NFL LB.

I think that is getting lost in all the discussions across the Steelers related internet about Shazier. The team is likely only continuing to keep him under contract because it allows Shazier access to the team medical and rehab facilities. Not because he looks like a guy working his way back to being a player.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't think it is ever going to get within shouting distance of either a Lindros situation or the ethical decision by a doctor. No one besides Ryan Shazier wants him to play in the NFL right now. He simply is not able to perform even the basic functions of an NFL LB.

I think that is getting lost in all the discussions across the Steelers related internet about Shazier. The team is likely only continuing to keep him under contract because it allows Shazier access to the team medical and rehab facilities. Not because he looks like a guy working his way back to being a player.
    Would he have access to all that as a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    No idea. Interesting idea...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Yes. As an employee of the organization. I was wondering about him in a scout/talent evaluator role. Then again with his play speed he may be able to help coach ILBs like Bush and UG3 rather than a VW or Matakevich type??? I understand the basic philosophy will be the same but the nuances will be different.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah. The hard truth is that you only have to watch any of the publicly available video of Shazier moving around and it is obvious that he is just miles away from the baseline physical abilities needed to play elite professional sports. I'm rooting for the guy and do not doubt his effort or dedication, but he is going to come up against some harsh limitations and have to make a call at some point.

Here are some clips from August of this past year. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...spine-surgery/

That is not the balance and fluidity of a professional athlete. Granted it looks better than I do walking around many days...
    99.9999% chance he never plays again. I do think the guy has a future when it comes to coaching, though. The guy just has a love for the game and I think he'll do anything to just be involved with it in any form.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    99.9999% chance he never plays again. I do think the guy has a future when it comes to coaching, though. The guy just has a love for the game and I think he'll do anything to just be involved with it in any form.
    I agree and I think the Steelers organization shook and will always do right by him and keep him part of the organization in some capacity for life.

This reminds me that not all organizations are the same. The Steelers are special.

To answer the questions about if Shazier would get the same benefits as a coach... Steelers Depot was tweeting (article?) about how in order for Shazier to get the complete medical benefits he has to remain a player.

To answer the questions about if Shazier would get the same benefits as a coach... Steelers Depot was tweeting (article?) about how in order for Shazier to get the complete medical benefits he has to remain a player.
    Interesting.

Well, I definitely love that the Steelers are bending over backwards to do right by him. I wish there were a way that the money didn’t go against the cap, but even if it does, I’m okay with us spending vet minimum on him.

Some things just are more important.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Interesting.

Well, I definitely love that the Steelers are bending over backwards to do right by him. I wish there were a way that the money didn’t go against the cap, but even if it does, I’m okay with us spending vet minimum on him.

Yes they are.

Interesting.

He both does and doesn’t count against the cap. I believe this is how it has happened since the injury:

Shazier counts against the cap at the start of the league year.
    Team moves him to whatever list they do for guys that aren’t playing.
    Contract comes off the cap. Or only half of it counts due to the split salary designation.

Someone should check that, but I think they have to basically account for his full salary for like a week.