Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garrett Renews Claim Rudolph Called Him N***er

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Garrett Renews Claim Rudolph Called Him N***er

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Unfortunately, a defamation suit is nearly impossible to win. Rudolph would have to conclusively prove that 1) He did not utter a racial slur and 2) the accusation was made with the intent of causing him harm.
    So even if Rudolph could somehow prove a negative, he'd have to prove that Garrett said this to harm him rather than to justify his own behavior.
    Jimmy McGill would figure out a way to make it stick...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Reminds me of a situation I was once in myself...
    Back in 2008 I was volunteering for the Ron Paul campaign. We had set up banners, were handing out flyers, etc. Needless to say, not everyone was on board with us and politics tends to make some people behave rudely...
    A guy drives by, flips us off, and yells "fuck you" (it happens) and we just smile politely and wave, because we know how much that irritates them. But then a minute later...

This lady walks up to me and is very angry. Says she can't believe we would behave that way in public. At first I wasn't following, but I soon realized that she thought *we* were insulting random passing motorists rather than the other way around. And no matter how hard I tried to explain that not only was it not us, it would literally make no sense for us to do such a thing... she was having none of it. "I know what I heard".

Sometimes people "know what they heard", and it's just plain wrong. That happens too.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a spectacular aura about"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Unfortunately, a defamation suit is nearly impossible to win. Rudolph would have to conclusively prove that 1) He did not utter a racial slur and 2) the accusation was made with the intent of causing him harm.
    So even if Rudolph could somehow prove a negative, he'd have to prove that Garrett said this to harm him rather than to justify his own behavior.

His best bet (IMO) is to simply say something along the lines of "people around me know my character and people around him know his" and just let it go at that.
    pretty sure, that Garrett can’t go around publicly through media outlets saying Rudolph called him that word without proof - that’s slander. Pretty sure it works both ways.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Article by SI.com legal analyst concludes it is more likely no defamation lawsuit will be brought

Although it isn’t their call, neither the NFL nor the NFLPA want Rudolph to sue....

As to the NFLPA, it doesn’t want to see two members of its bargaining unit become the plaintiff and defendant in a lawsuit. Likewise, the NFLPA knows that teammates of Rudolph and Garrett would rather not have to testify, especially if what they say under oath undermines their teammate.

Chances are we won’t see a lawsuit. The dispute will probably end with both men publicly contradicting each other. Rudolph can try to restore his reputation by hinting at a lawsuit but not actually going forward with it. Rudolph wants to signal to the football community—and the companies that might one day want to sign him to endorsement deals—that he is a good person. Garrett, meanwhile, wants to signal that he is telling the truth. Both can accomplish their goals without facing off in court.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/15/mason-rudolph-myles-garrett-possible-lawsuit-steelers-browns

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Reminds me of a situation I was once in myself...
    Back in 2008 I was volunteering for the Ron Paul campaign. We had set up banners, were handing out flyers, etc. Needless to say, not everyone was on board with us and politics tends to make some people behave rudely...
    A guy drives by, flips us off, and yells "fuck you" (it happens) and we just smile politely and wave, because we know how much that irritates them. But then a minute later...

This lady walks up to me and is very angry. Says she can't believe we would behave that way in public. At first I wasn't following, but I soon realized that she thought *we* were insulting random passing motorists rather than the other way around. And no matter how hard I tried to explain that not only was it not us, it would literally make no sense for us to do such a thing... she was having none of it. "I know what I heard".

Sometimes people "know what they heard", and it's just plain wrong. That happens too.
    yep but she was very adamant from the very beginning not changing her statement a week later. This is a natural way of reacting to someone who thinks they were called something derogatory. Not issuing an apology then changing your tune after you had time to think it over.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    pretty sure, that Garrett can’t go around publicly through media outlets saying Rudolph called him that word without proof - that’s slander. Pretty sure it works both ways.
    It *is* slander... but not a legal battle Rudolph can win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    yep but she was very adamant from the very beginning not changing her statement a week later. This is a natural way of reacting to someone who thinks they were called something derogatory. Not issuing an apology then changing your tune after you had time to think it over.
    Yeah, not defending Garrett or claiming that this is what did happen, just saying that this does happen. I personally lean towards your interpretation; Garrett is a lying, cowardly piece of shit.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

FWIW, I think this attempt to absolve himself of blame by lying about someone else will blow up in his face. I think his intention was to get leniency for his next infraction by convincing people to not hold this one against him. Unfortunately for him, he attempted to throw the NFL under the bus too. I think they'll throw the book at him next time he steps out of line just because of that.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Maybe he said it, maybe he didn't Maybe Garret heard what he thought he heard, mabe he didn't. It's time to drop it and get on with football. One is a great player, one might become one.

This back and forth does neither player any good at this point. I know Garrett started it up again. Dumb move on his part. I'm just saying.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I would like to see a lawsuit to send a message that this kind of stuff will not be tolerated. Right now we got a whole class of people who pull the racecard to get attention, get sympathy, and deflect blame for their own actions and sometimes it crosses the line of slandering others, destroying people's reputations, and sometimes even breaking the law. They do this and can get away with it scot free if it didn't happen. Hell Jussie Smollets fabricates a hate crime and the DA let of Cook County let him get away with it. I think a message needs to be sent that using the race card for the purposes of slander and destroying reputations will not be tolerated

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Maybe he said it, maybe he didn't Maybe Garret heard what he thought he heard, mabe he didn't. It's time to drop it and get on with football. One is a great player, one might become one.

This back and forth does neither player any good at this point. I know Garrett started it up again. Dumb move on his part. I'm just saying.
    Well if I accuse you of sodomizing barnyard animals with zero corroborating evidence and you deny it, then I give an interview on national television in which I reiterate that you sodomize barnyard animals and for good measure say the farmer is holding back evidence to support my claim, what would you do? Would you go with maybe I did f**k the goat, maybe I didn’t?

Rudolph was assaulted then accused of being a racist but when he does not remain silent it is “back and forth” that does not do him any good?

If he did not respond you can bet Team Garrett and Garrett’s amen corner on ESPN would portray Rudolph’s silence as an admission he did say it.