Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garrett Renews Claim Rudolph Called Him N***er

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Garrett Renews Claim Rudolph Called Him N***er

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Marvel View Post
    As a Black Man if i was called that, everyone would know in the moment, not days later. Garrett can 't do this BS...it takes away from actual victims of the word when someone cries wolf like this to justify bad behavior.
    I agree with this *mostly*. My only disagreement being that nobody can be a "victim" of a word.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I agree with this *mostly*. My only disagreement being that nobody can be a "victim" of a word.

So happy that I was raised when the phrase “sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me,” was drilled into me as a child.
    Never bothered me when I was called a guinea, wop, or dago while growing up. No outrage...real or fake.
    Just words.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post

So happy that I was raised when the phrase “sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me,” was drilled into me as a child.
    Never bothered me when I was called a guinea, wop, or dago while growing up. No outrage...real or fake.
    Just words.
    I disagree.

We are three pages in on a discussion about words that Myles Garrett stated on ESPN. Slander. Libel. Defamation. Those aren’t just words, either.

SUMMATION:
    Sticks & stones may break bones, but words can end careers.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Just words.
    Words can be worse. Things people have told me in the past still can be haunting today, but I can think of the a$$ whoopings I've taken in the past that don't mean crap to me now. Mental scars take the longest to heal.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I disagree.

We are three pages in on a discussion about words that Myles Garrett stated on ESPN. Slander. Libel. Defamation. Those aren’t just words, either.

SUMMATION:
    Sad, but true. You ARE free to say what you like, but you have to also be will to accept the consequences. You can call your boss an idiot, and she/he might be, but there is a good chance you will be fired....without a recommendation. That’s why the only asshole I’ve had to work for, for the last 33 years, is me.

Senior Member Array title="hwalker84 will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Marvel View Post
    As a Black Man if i was called that, everyone would know in the moment, not days later. Garrett can 't do this BS...it takes away from actual victims of the word when someone cries wolf like this to justify bad behavior.
    Exactly. How Garret reacted isn't how I or pretty much anyone Black that I know would've reacted after the situation. Shannon sums it up perfectly here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXhoEejQZOg

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    This is a fallacy. Just because one person or several people or even most people would do it one way doesn't prove that something did or did not happen. Do I believe it happened? No. I don't believe it because I do not think being a part of the Steelers and "supporting your guy" means more to black men on this football team than the decades and centuries of racism that sit behind the use of that single word. Yet, no one came forward and said a word. I do not believe the NFL and the Steelers, who has a black coach and is the organization and ownership responsible for pushing the hiring of minorities in the NFL, would sweep this under the carpet. Finally, Goodell and the NFL has been on the wrong side of many decisions. However, it would have been a bonanza of bonus points from the BLM movement and company had the NFL identified such use and moved swiftly against it. They did not.

For all those reasons, I do not think anything was said. But, just because he didn't come forward immediately does not mean it didn't happen, and just because others would have doesn't negate whether it did or did not happen. I simply don't believe it for all the other reasons listed.

You have to remember where this took place.

This didn't take place in a Buddhist temple on a mountain side somewhere in Nepal. This took place on an NFL football field.

Have you ever played on a football field or been in a locker room as an active participant at a high level of competition? There is nowhere on this earth where there is more bravado, more posturing, more overreactions to any stimuli, and more testosterone than there is in those settings. These men are playing for their paychecks and their next contracts. There are guys pushing and shoving after every play for the tiniest of reasons. Hell, even a guy like Troy Polamalu would get in the face of another player for something they said or did on the football field... and he's as close to the Dalai Lama in cleats as anyone that has ever played in the NFL.

Your position on the subject comes from an intellectual and psychological determination, but it doesn't live in reality. There's not a football player that ever lived that would do what Garrett did after that game by issuing an apology if they were called a racist remark on the field and in the heat of battle......nobody. He was in a position where he reacted to something and he was going to potentially be suspended and fined, losing millions of dollars, yet he doesn't bring up the reason for the outburst to show justification of some sort? Nobody does that.

Also, the more false claims that are made, the less believable other claims become because there is more doubt in people's minds.

The fact that you don't understand that is probably because you have never been in a similar environment. And that's okay.... but to say these comments are a fallacy I believe shows a lack of understanding on your part due to lack of life experiences within the game of football.
    Last edited by pczach; 02-18-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I disagree.

SUMMATION:
    I think we’re talking about two different uses and effects of words.
    Using words to slander, libel, or defame someone can ruin a reputation or career...agree with you fully on that.
    But being called a derogatory term for whatever race you are will only bother you if you let it.
    That’s the point I tried to make.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mike Tomlin indicates he thinks Mason Rudolph should sue Myles Garrett

Steve DelVecchio, Larry Brown Sports

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...tt/ar-BB105OYK

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

He should. Defend his reputation and get some of that Miles Garrett money while he's at it.

At the same time a message needs to be sent to people pulling this crap when they just can't take responsibility for themselves; that this is not a way out, but could actually backfire.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Tomlin very aggressively supporting Rudolph after Garrett stirred this up again has changed the optics of this for the obvious reason

Michael Wilbon has been in the "maybe he said it, maybe he didn't” camp. But on PTI yesterday after Tomlin's comments on First Take, Wilbon said that Tomlin is the most credible person in this mess and that while Rudolph may have said it, usually if that happened you would be yelling "you called me what" while swinging the helmet.

Tony Kornheiser than said this has become such a cluster courtesy of Garrett reviving the allegations that the league probably needs to call everyone in to say straighten this out (good luck with that).

Discussion starts around 11:15 mark of linked audio below

https://podbay.fm/podcast/147232181/e/1581982440

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

This is gonna tip the whole thing over the edge - someone actually coming out and endorsing a lawsuit. The fact that this person was Mike Tomlin gives it much bigger legs to stand on.

Garrett is rapidly turning himself into an NFL pariah.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Boy. I sure hope Tomlin and Rudolph are in the right here. If it were to come out that Mason was lying or whatever --- these two might not survive a public battle over a racial slur.

The NFL money spending public will more readily forgive violent aggression and false accusations than it will lying about racial stuff or a hint of a "cover-up" .

FWIW, I suspect Tomlin knows all this and is REAL confident in the version that Rudolph is and has stuck to.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Boy. I sure hope Tomlin and Rudolph are in the right here. If it were to come out that Mason was lying or whatever --- these two might not survive a public battle over a racial slur.

The NFL money spending public will more readily forgive violent aggression and false accusations than it will lying about racial stuff or a hint of a "cover-up" .

FWIW, I suspect Tomlin knows all this and is REAL confident in the version that Rudolph is and has stuck to.
    If there was corroborating evidence to support Garrett it would be out by now after 3 months - that is why Garrett threw the mud that the NFL was sitting on audio that incriminates Rudolph since he has nothing else

After he stood by Ben following the first sexual assault allegation in Nevada and then was burned by Milledgeville you can bet Tomlin would not put his reputation on the line if he had any qualms about backing Rudolph this strongly and taking on ESPN for good measure. The risk of being wrong is too great when it is a journeyman being defended this time rather than the franchise QB more crucial to the team’s future

Garrett going down the same road as AB over the same crap really, dude just doesn't know when to shut up.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Using words to slander, libel, or defame someone can ruin a reputation or career...agree with you fully on that.
    But being called a derogatory term for whatever race you are will only bother you if you let it.
    ^ 'Zackly. It's what happens *after* the words that matters, not the words themselves. People's insults don't affect me unless I actually give a flip about their opinion of me... Which I usually don't. I just take it as a sign of weakness on their part and press on.
    People got too focused on "victimhood", and now we have an entire generation running around perpetually butt- hurt; inventing insults where they don't even exist.
    What matters here is Garrett committed aggravated assault in front of a national audience. He should've been arrested for what he did. He's lucky to have gotten off as lightly as he did, and the cowardly POS still can't own up to it and is lying about it to cover his own ass.
    What are ya gonna do, though? Can't sue him and expect to win.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Thank you for the clarification.

What if it’s a child? What if a group of students are surrounding one child calling him “n*gger”... is that child supposed to just brush it off as simply a word?

In my field, I deal with bullying quite a bit. Only about 5% of the cases are students physically bullying another student. Almost all of the cases are “hurtful words.” Simply, kids can be mean.

Furthermore, abusive/derogatory language used to be bad enough. Nowadays, with cyber bullying, there’s no escaping it. Two decades ago, Lil’ Frankie would get called names at school, but when he goes home, it ends. Nowadays, Lil’ Frankie goes home and is bombarded with the same derision on Snapchat, Instagram, and the ilk. Of course, the older generations say to simply “log off”, but social media is how this generation interacts. To “log off” is to disengage with one’s peers.

And... when someone calls Lil’ Frankie a horrible name in person, the bully is likely to temper his/her words a little bit. Why? Seeing someone react (cry) usually causes most humans to ease up. On social media, the bully doesn’t see this reaction... and thus, the bully will not only post untempered insults, the bully will keep going & going & going.

SUMMATION:
    I still disagree.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I gained a lot of respect for Tomlin over this. I've never seen him so adamant in defending one of his players. The fact is Garrett is brainless. In the aftermath, you would think Garrett would have have been humbled and thankful that the helmet he was swinging around didn't kill Rudolph. In 2020 expect Garrett to have issues with another team and another player.

What if it’s a child?
    #1 It's not a child, it's a grown man... allegedly. #2 I had to put up with it when I was a child, and I'm none the worse for it.

SUMMATION:
    I still disagree.
    The alternative is to have people maliciously using accusations of racist insults as a weapon, which is what we have here. People literally walk around looking for a reason to feel insulted, and they'll invent a reason if they don't have one. "Victimhood" is the new badge of authority. Not only is it obnoxious, it's pathetic.
    And FWIW if these kids are no longer interacting personally, that's a big part of the problem IMO. That's part of how we learned not to throw around racial epithets as kids. "Free speech" is a thing, but so are "personal responsibility" and "consequences".

TL/DR: The way to raise kids is to teach them to behave like responsible adults. Clubbing a defenseless man over the head with a football helmet and accusing him of using a "bad word" to justify it is not behaving like a responsible adult. The kids need to be raised in a way that doesn't encourage this behavior.

But you know... that's just me

I hope Rudolph sues him, seriously. I'll even donate to his cause if that's possible. One thing I'm tired of is race card pulling especially when nothing happened, it's just at the point of ridiculousness (and I'm a minority male). At some point, someone needs to be made an example of that doing it to justify bad behavior is plain ignorant.

#1 It's not a child, it's a grown man... allegedly. #2 I had to put up with it when I was a child, and I'm none the worse for it.

The alternative is to have people maliciously using accusations of racist insults as a weapon, which is what we have here. People literally walk around looking for a reason to feel insulted, and they'll invent a reason if they don't have one. "Victimhood" is the new badge of authority. Not only is it obnoxious, it's pathetic.
    And FWIW if these kids are no longer interacting personally, that's a big part of the problem IMO. That's part of how we learned not to throw around racial epithets as kids. "Free speech" is a thing, but so are "personal responsibility" and "consequences".

TL/DR: The way to raise kids is to teach them to behave like responsible adults. Clubbing a defenseless man over the head with a football helmet and accusing him of using a "bad word" to justify it is not behaving like a responsible adult. The kids need to be raised in a way that doesn't encourage this behavior.

There's two different issues here. The first one is how adults should act, the second one is the power of the spoken word.

Issue 1: you are right, adults should act like adults. If Mason did say that to him, there are viable alternatives to dealing with it the way he did. He could have stopped, turned to the ref, and asked "did you hear that?" He could have gone to the sidelines. He could have done several things. Adults must act like adults. You'll get no argument from me there, nor do I think you'll get one from teegre on that, either.

Issue 2: Words have a power to them that we are foolish to deny. Mere words written on a sheet of paper caused the greatest split in the Western world and ushered in protestantism. Mere words created a mindset that allowed a race to be seen as subhuman, which was then traded upon by the German National Socialists to the tune of six million dead Jews, up to 90 percent of the Roma killed in Europe, and millions of Catholics. If words have no power, then why do pro-choice people demand the term "fetus" rather than "baby" as a pre-born human was called for years before that? The reason is that using "Fetus" dehumanizes and therefore, makes it more palatable.

Then, we get into a different realm of language contracts. When someone uses a word such as the N word, they're not just using a single word. They're making a move in a language game based on an agreed language contract within society. The word has context that is, in general, agreed on by both parties. By invoking that word, they're also invoking everything else tied into the language contract. The person against whom that move has been made has not just heard a word. Their entire language game has shifted, which in turn shifts the relationship between the two people.

Finally, there's a third element to this. As teegre has said, words affect people. He's dealt with kids in such situations. I've dealt with adults when I pastored a church. As a professor, I still deal with the results of words spoke to people. You'd be amazed at how many go from zero to one-hundred in a matter of moments because the wrong word is spoken or typed. And, it's not because they're immature or unable to cope. It's because verbal abuse is as destructive to a person as emotional or even physical abuse. Issues such as gaslighting, undermining, and trivialization are powerful weapons. While this paragraph is a bit further away from the context of this discussion, but it still remains true. Thus, if words can have that kind of power, then they can still have power in the context of discussions outside of relationships as well.

Look, I applaud the fact that you can ignore someone who is being stupid. But it's foolish and even dangerous to think that those words will not have an affect on your life. Let me ask. The next time you see that same person, do you treat them the same way you did before? If you don't, then you didn't ignore their words. They DID have an affect on you. And, chances are, it's because you understood the language game he was engaged in and choose not to engage him again in it because he denigrates you.

CHILD:
    If words do not hurt, then it wouldn’t matter if it’s a child a not. Having to learn to “ignore” the hurt means that you are acknowledging that words can indeed hurt.

But, let’s use a different example. It’s a staff meeting and someone is passing out papers. “One for Steve, one for Betsy, one for the n*gger, one for Roger...” Are you really saying that that type of utterance should simply be ignored???

YOU:
    You survived being called a n*gger. Okay. That doesn’t make it okay that you were called that. It’s akin to the CEO whose mother died during childbirth and whose father was a poor, abusive drunk. Just because that particular CEO overcame a bad situation does not mean that the situation was a good one. We shouldn’t wish all children to lose their mothers and be beaten by their fathers.

LEARNED NOT TO THROW AROUND RACIAL EPITHETS:
    This is exactly the point I mentioned above: if there was nothing hurtful about words, then children would not have to “learn” not to use them. Sometimes, it’s a simple as Person A calling Person B a “doo-Foo face” and seeing Person B cry for Person A to realize: “Hey, my words can hurt.” Other times, it takes Person A a lot longer to figure this out. And, alas, sometimes Person A is fully aware, but enjoys being a bully.

GARRETT:
    Let’s make things clear: in no way am I saying that Garrett’s actions are validated. I am arguing the point that “words will never hurt me.” What Garrett did was deplorable... just as if a student were to strike back at a bully. Since we are using childhood adages: “Two wrongs do not make a right.”

FACESPACE GENERATION:
    I don’t agree with the way people interact nowadays... but, heck, here we are interacting on a message board. Really though, my point is that social media eliminates any “physical” bullying; it is “just” words... and I have found that to be much more hurtful for students (than the old school “meet me at 3:00” type of bully).

It's not about "ignoring the hurt", it's about what responses are appropriate and which are not. I would argue that the way society dealt with race relation issues back when I was growing up was much healthier than the way we deal with it today. We have people running around constantly emotionally traumatized because somebody (allegedly) made an insulting sound out of their stupid head, demanding coddling and retribution. It ain't healthy, man. This generation has been raised incorrectly.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Nobody believes lies any more ? Everyone believes the truth ? Get the fuck outta here . This albums been played through sages and it has two sides . One side plays the truth and flip it to the other side and you hear lies . You can cross your heart and still be telling a lie . You can refuse to put your hand on a bible and still tell the truth .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Tomlin very aggressively supporting Rudolph after Garrett stirred this up again has changed the optics of this for the obvious reason

Michael Wilbon has been in the "maybe he said it, maybe he didn't” camp. But on PTI yesterday after Tomlin's comments on First Take, Wilbon said that Tomlin is the most credible person in this mess and that while Rudolph may have said it, usually if that happened you would be yelling "you called me what" while swinging the helmet.

Tony Kornheiser than said this has become such a cluster courtesy of Garrett reviving the allegations that the league probably needs to call everyone in to say straighten this out (good luck with that).

Discussion starts around 11:15 mark of linked audio below

https://podbay.fm/podcast/147232181/e/1581982440
    There is no proof Rudolph said it. Not audio or any of the players. Garrett is a low life liar. Move on. Stop allowing the media to play the what if game.

It's not about "ignoring the hurt", it's about what responses are appropriate and which are not. I would argue that the way society dealt with race relation issues back when I was growing up was much healthier than the way we deal with it today. We have people running around constantly emotionally traumatized because somebody (allegedly) made an insulting sound out of their stupid head, demanding coddling and retribution. It ain't healthy, man. This generation has been raised incorrectly.
    I agree: how one reacts is crucial. Teaching people appropriate ways react is how I spend a good portion of my day.

As far as “this generation” goes...

School A:
    Trump supporters. Middle class. Working class.
    Joey calls Frankie a n*gger. Joey’s dad does not stand for it. It never happens again.

School B:
    Trump supporters. Middle class. Working class.
    Joey calls Frankie a n*gger. Joey’s dad responds by saying “It’s just a word.” Recidivism, recidivism, recidivism.

I know that someone will call the dad from School A a “snowflake” ( )which is why I’ll add that it was a Marine-base school. I worked there for 19 years, and racial slurs were simply not tolerated. In fact, I rarely had to deal with it. And, if it occurred, it never happened again.

Conversely, in the past year at School B, I’ve had more incidents of racial slurs than in the other 19 years combined.

SUMMATION:
    What is the difference?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

These are really interesting thoughts and discussions. But I can't help but feel that they are a bit tangential to the incident. Or at least we need to account for how the idea that both the NFL and the individual players view themselves as commodities or "#brands". The league has an interest in making the case that they aren't a European soccer style hornets nest of racists and Garrett (almost certainly fearful of his endorsement dollars evaporating before his eyes) has an interest in not being seen as a vicious unhinged hooligan. Meanwhile, Rudolph has an interest in this not following him around for ever and ever. Say 3 years from now and a minor miracle latter, and we see Rudolph hoist the Lombardi. He certainly doesn't want a large portion of the viewing audience being like "Nice to see that racist winning a SB!".

I really believe those kinds of brand/sales oriented thoughts are driving everyone's actions far more than they would in like a regular world scenario that one of us might find ourselves in.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mike Tomlin Comes To Defense Of Mason Rudolph As Roger Goodell Botches NFL Discipline

https://therunnersports.com/mike-tom...fl-discipline/

These are really interesting thoughts and discussions. But I can't help but feel that they are a bit tangential to the incident. Or at least we need to account for how the idea that both the NFL and the individual players view themselves as commodities or "#brands". The league has an interest in making the case that they aren't a European soccer style hornets nest of racists and Garrett (almost certainly fearful of his endorsement dollars evaporating before his eyes) has an interest in not being seen as a vicious unhinged hooligan. Meanwhile, Rudolph has an interest in this not following him around for ever and ever. Say 3 years from now and a minor miracle latter, and we see Rudolph hoist the Lombardi. He certainly doesn't want a large portion of the viewing audience being like "Nice to see that racist winning a SB!".

I really believe those kinds of brand/sales oriented thoughts are driving everyone's actions far more than they would in like a regular world scenario that one of us might find ourselves in.
    Respectfully disagree - it is a workplace dispute with Roger as the Human Resources department

Employee A gets in a fight in the lunch room with Employee B and fists fly. To justify his conduct Employee A does not claim Employee B called him a n****r at the time of the fight but tells HR that is what happened several days later. Employee B vociferously denies he used that word not only because he did not say it but to avoid being a pariah with his coworkers and unemployable after he would be fired if he did say it.

Nobody else heard that word but Employee A’s supervisor vouches for him while Employee B’s supervisor vouches for him.

Employee A is too valuable to get fired and Employee B also is reprimanded so HR looks even handed.

Then Employee A returns to work and stirs up shit again

Difference is ESPN does not cover most HR disciplinary actions

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Respectfully disagree - it is a workplace dispute with Roger as the Human Resources department

Employee A gets in a fight in the lunch room with Employee B and fists fly. To justify his conduct Employee A does not claim Employee B called him a n****r at the time of the fight but tells HR that is what happened several days later. Employee B vociferously denies he used that word not only because he did not say it but to avoid being a pariah with his coworkers and unemployable after he would be fired if he did say it.

Nobody else heard that word but Employee A’s supervisor vouches for him while Employee B’s supervisor vouches for him.

Employee A is too valuable to get fired and Employee B also is reprimanded so HR looks even handed.

Then Employee A returns to work and stirs up shit again

Difference is ESPN does not cover most HR disciplinary actions
    I mean that is analogous, but I suspect Employees A and B don't work for a gazillion dollar a year business that is almost totally dependent on the public perception for that income. Nor does anyone collect memorabilia and make their buying decisions based on endorsements from Employees A and B. But they do for the NFL. That changes the reactions and motivations of everyone involved.

This has moved well past "simple" evaluations of right and wrong behavior by two individuals to a scenario that is almost totally colored by who is afraid of losing what current or future monies. Whether it is a truth or a lie, Garrett only said it and then repeated it because it moves his image from one spot to another. He really doesn't care about the league discipline, he cares about his ability to market and be compensated for the Myles Garrett brand.