Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do we want Ben back?

Re: Do we want Ben back?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think it would be 2 more years of big yardage production. But the problem is that the Steelers would not want to tie up a large amount of Salary Cap on a RB and Bell wanted a large amount of $$$ to be paid for his production. So LeVeon Bell wasn't going to be a Steeler long term and I don't see the big problem with he and the Steelers parting ways.

Its like how Melvin Gordon wants to test the free agent market this year and get the most $$ he can. Also will see what happens with Derrick Henry as well. He played for $1.1million last season and you could argue that he played better than Todd Gurley did at $14.3 million.
    I was just wondering along the lines of, what if Bell was smart and realized he could have created a legacy in Pittsburgh and beyond that would have paid him dividends throughout his life. I would imagine that starting the year he sat out, he'd have at least another three years of big yardage production and then two or three of decent production. By that time, he'd have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame, especially if we ended up winning a SB with him.

Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA will become famous soon enough">

A. Bell is NOT smart.
    B. Who asked this dumb question in the first place? If Ben is healthy of course we want him back. We just watched a season of dip shits and retards trying to play Quarterback and some asshat has the nerve to ask if we want Ben back? Holy F@ck!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    A. Bell is NOT smart.
    B. Who asked this dumb question in the first place? If Ben is healthy of course we want him back. We just watched a season of dip shits and retards trying to play Quarterback and some asshat has the nerve to ask if we want Ben back? Holy F@ck!
    Unfortunately there are some here who do not realize what it takes to have a QB who can not only win games but lead the team to and even win a SB.

They say things like "Ben was statistically better with AB and Bell", even though he did not win with either on the team and did win 2 without them. Ben does not need either of them to win a SB, but how have they done with a QB lesser than Ben? AB's stats fell off a cliff when Jones was slinging the ball and Bell has not done very well with the J.E.T.S. as of this point. Seems to me they both need Ben more than Ben needs them. Isn't if funny that AB did not want to play with Carr and the Raiders but rather only wanted to play with Tom Terrific and the cheats. I guess even he realized he needs someone better than average to keep his stats up.

They say "Ben's early success was because of the great D", even though that same great D was not able to win a SB before he got here. Hell even the Great D of the 90's only went to the SB once and they lost.

You even have to put in NOTES that Ben did not win the SBs alone because saying that he won 2 and went to 3 is interpreted by them as "he did it all himself". If you don't spell it out they take it literally.

It takes a lot of things for a team to win a SB, and yes it is still a team sport, but to win consistently you need to have a QB who has "It" and Ben has "It".

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I was just wondering along the lines of, what if Bell was smart and realized he could have created a legacy in Pittsburgh and beyond that would have paid him dividends throughout his life. I would imagine that starting the year he sat out, he'd have at least another three years of big yardage production and then two or three of decent production. By that time, he'd have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame, especially if we ended up winning a SB with him.
    I think the issue is that fans put their personal values upon players and think that players should do what the fans want them to. Maybe Bell didn't want to live the rest of his life in Pittsburgh and therefore whatever "legacy" he could build or "dividends" that created would not be worth an extra $5-10million. Maybe he wants to live life after football in South Florida, so being some great Pittsburgh RB that played on the "hometown discount" wasn't going to benefit him.

I think Bell did what he thought was in his personal employment best interest and I have no problem with that as a man. I've been a Steeler fan for over 40 years, but I realize that I cant live my life by my fandom and that I have to live in the real world Mon-Fri of what is best for me professionally and financially, so I don't begrudge NFL players for doing what is right for themselves professionally and financially.

As for the question of this thread, Ben is the best QB option the Steelers have and he should be back. I hate the idea of tanking a season to try and get a young QB. I also think the Steelers still don't win a SB with Fichtner as the OC and Ben in the twilight of his career.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think it would be 2 more years of big yardage production. But the problem is that the Steelers would not want to tie up a large amount of Salary Cap on a RB and Bell wanted a large amount of $$$ to be paid for his production. So LeVeon Bell wasn't going to be a Steeler long term and I don't see the big problem with he and the Steelers parting ways.

Its like how Melvin Gordon wants to test the free agent market this year and get the most $$ he can. Also will see what happens with Derrick Henry as well. He played for $1.1million last season and you could argue that he played better than Todd Gurley did at $14.3 million.
    You can’t argue that Henry played better than Gurley...Henry just did...there is no argument. Lol

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You can’t argue that Henry played better than Gurley...Henry just did...there is no argument. Lol
    Non hear. The Titans pretty much rode him all the way to the AFCCG. Talk about getting every pennies worth out of a guy.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Agreed. An if he leaves the Titans for a better contract elsewhere, like Washington but doesn't have the same statistical type year or they don't make the playoffs....do you think Titan fans will say that he was nothing without Ryan Tannehill?? He couldn't win without Tannehill. That is the similar argument that some make with LeVeon Bell after 1 season with the Jets.