Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we want Ben back?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Do we want Ben back?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Bell held out on his team for a year before he left. Ask his teammates how they felt about it. Oh wait, no need to because they told us already.

Harrison snored in position meetings and left the stadium during games. I have a problem with that.

He was a great receiver indeed. He ended up being a cancer. There is NOTHING in his departure that is defensible.
    The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts like other sports. The NFL is arguably the most physically dangerous of the major sports. Bell played on the tag in 2017 and didn't sign the 2018 tag, which I have zero issue with because one knee injury would jeopardize his ability to earn a deal like he signed with the Jets and could have ended his career like Shazier's career.

If Harrison was told he would be played, but wasn't played as he was told when he was signed....I again have no issue if he snored in meetings or threw tomatoes at the screen in film session to force a way out. Let the man go if you weren't honest with him in the recruiting process.

The circumstances of players leaving is really not a big deal to me. I just find it hilarious how some Steeler fans totally discredit a players ability and performance because "he left us, or he quit on us". Especially when they are just doing what is best for their personal career.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts like other sports. The NFL is arguably the most physically dangerous of the major sports. Bell played on the tag in 2017 and didn't sign the 2018 tag, which I have zero issue with because one knee injury would jeopardize his ability to earn a deal like he signed with the Jets and could have ended his career like Shazier's career.

If Harrison was told he would be played, but wasn't played as he was told when he was signed....I again have no issue if he snored in meetings or threw tomatoes at the screen in film session to force a way out. Let the man go if you weren't honest with him in the recruiting process.

The circumstances of players leaving is really not a big deal to me. I just find it hilarious how some Steeler fans totally discredit a players ability and performance because "he left us, or he quit on us". Especially when they are just doing what is best for their personal career.
    Bell made a financial mistake not playing on the tag. I don't think he was very good his last season for the Steelers so it didn't bother me he left.

Harrison made an ass of himself. But he was a great player and did what he thought he needed to do. In my mind it was wrong, but I recognize him as an all-time Steelers great.

AB was amazing on the field. He literally went crazy. I hope he gets help. I'm a forgiving person, so if he got help I'd welcome him back on the Steelers.

None of that changes my mind that they each left poorly and unprofessionally.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers GM: We don't think Big Ben is at end of road

By Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL Writer
    Feb. 14, 2020

Ben Roethlisberger missed all but two games of the 2019 campaign before ending his season on injured reserve due to an elbow injury.

The Steelers expect Big Ben to come out completely healthy on the other side. GM Kevin Colbert told reporters Thursday the quarterback is on track in his rehab.

"We're hopeful he can make a complete recovery (from surgery on his right elbow). So far, he's on course for that," Colbert said, via Bob Labriola of the team's official website.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n=trendingNews

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Main thing is they are on the hook this season for Ben! We ride or die with him this coming season!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    After Ben is out I'm signing Joe Flacco

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Read the whole thread. My whole point was to tank this season. Joe Flacco would be great for that.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Read the whole thread. My whole point was to tank this season. Joe Flacco would be great for that.
    you lost me at "tank this season".

yeah, same here...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Of course we want big ben back, you seen rudolph and duck play?

next question

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Of course we want big ben back, you seen rudolph and duck play?

next question
    My thoughts exactly, good post.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Why would we not want Ben back? He would be a $25M cap hit in dead money first of all. And if the defense stays as good as it was in 2019, all we need is an ok offense to be a real contender. Ben could give us that, but there is like a 5% chance of getting it with the other options available to us. Only if Ben is not recovered, or if he clearly will never be the same, should we even consider moving on in the next year or two.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Yet, here both of you are. Here is the scenario...Ben comes back and we go 10-6 or worse with a first round exit in the playoffs. Then, Ben retires and we are left with shit at QB the next year without a high enough draft pick to attempt replacing Ben. Sure, we save a bunch of money, but we're also going to be in a place where we have no answer at the most crucial position on a football field. Imo, it's setting us up for mediocrity for years to come.

Scenario 2...Ben decides his heart isn't in it. We roll with your boy, Joe Flacco and company. We suck bad enough to land us in the top 10 to take our future QB. The defense is still young and in tact, and we still have plenty of cap space. If I'm not mistaken, Juju and Conner's contracts will be up. I could see them letting go of both, freeing up more space.

Here is the question...Do you want to be mediocre this season and try to sign a journeyman QB the following season or suck this coming season and draft a QB the following?

Before you come at me with none of this is facts...yatta yatta yatta...believe me, I know this. This is all hypothetical.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is a 10-6 team with a Joe Flacco. Easily 10-6. So you probably need to come up with another plan...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This is a 10-6 team with a Joe Flacco. Easily 10-6. So you probably need to come up with another plan...
    Steelers would need to put a clause in Flacco's contract that he has to shave his unibrow though...

I forgot about scenario 3...Ben leads us to a 12-4 record and rides off into the sunset like Elway. I'm never allowed to post on this forum again and a few of you are geniuses.

[QUOTE=86WARD;726515]This is a 10-6 team with a Joe Flacco. Easily 10-6. So you probably need to come up with another

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Steelers would need to put a clause in Flacco's contract that he has to shave his unibrow though...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I forgot about scenario 3...Ben leads us to a 12-4 record and rides off into the sunset like Elway. I'm never allowed to post on this forum again and a few of you are geniuses.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If you want a high draft pick, why waste money on Flacco? Mason Duck Lynch Barrett can lose NFL games all on their own. No need to bring in outside experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If you want a high draft pick, why waste money on Flacco? Mason Duck Lynch Barrett can lose NFL games all on their own. No need to bring in outside experts.
    I think they would have to bring a veteran in. Maybe someone other than Flacco that also comes a little cheaper.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think they would have to bring a veteran in. Maybe someone other than Flacco that also comes a little cheaper.
    Why? To pretend you're "competing"? If you're gonna tank, then tank all the way and give the three headed monster a 16 game audition to be the successor.

Either one of them pulls that off and you're set or it implodes and you draft Trevor Lawrence.

What does "vet QB" do for you if you're trying to get a top pick?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Why? To pretend you're "competing"? If you're gonna tank, then tank all the way and give the three headed monster a 16 game audition to be the successor.

Either one of them pulls that off and you're set or it implodes and you draft Trevor Lawrence.

........and for the right price!

Senior Member Array title="CV1 is a jewel in the rough"> CV1's Avatar

We have two years left of Ben/Tomlin/Colbert, but 5 more with Randy... everything is fine /sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To pretend you're competing is exactly why. I don't think you can go all in, but I wouldn't be opposed.

To pretend you're competing is exactly why. I don't think you can go all in, but I wouldn't be opposed.
    I'd either go full tank with the other QBs on the roster or go for whatever Ben R can do.

Not much point in dithering around in the middle.

Yup, Bell was #1 in NFL history in yards gained from scrimmage in the first 4 years in the NFL according to PFF. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...er-in-the-nfl/ Steelers got his best years. Or should I say Ben got him all those yards.

SEASONS G YARDS FROM SCRIMMAGE YFS/G
    1 Le’Veon Bell 2013-16 45 5,782 128.5
    2 Edgerrin James 1999-02 52 6,640 127.7
    3 Eric Dickerson 1983-86 62 7,842 126.5
    4 LaDainian Tomlinson 2001-04 63 7,921 125.7
    5 Terrell Davis 1995-98 61 7,594 124.5
    6 Marcus Allen 1982-85 57 6,942 121.8
    7 Billy Sims 1980-83 52 6,252 120.2
    8 Ricky Williams 1999-02 54 6,437 119.2
    9 Arian Foster 2009-12 51 6,052 118.7
    10 Clinton Portis 2002-05 60 7,059 117.7
    11 Jim Brown 1957-60 48 5,642 117.5
    12 Adrian Peterson 2007-10 61 6,952 114.0
    13 Jamal Lewis 2000-04 60 6,822 113.7
    14 Chuck Foreman 1973-76 53 6,009 113.4
    15 Walter Payton 1975-78 57 6,427 112.8
    Makes you wonder what Bell's legacy in the NFL would have been had he stayed with the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Makes you wonder what Bell's legacy in the NFL would have been had he stayed with the Steelers.
    I think it would be 2 more years of big yardage production. But the problem is that the Steelers would not want to tie up a large amount of Salary Cap on a RB and Bell wanted a large amount of $$$ to be paid for his production. So LeVeon Bell wasn't going to be a Steeler long term and I don't see the big problem with he and the Steelers parting ways.

Its like how Melvin Gordon wants to test the free agent market this year and get the most $$ he can. Also will see what happens with Derrick Henry as well. He played for $1.1million last season and you could argue that he played better than Todd Gurley did at $14.3 million.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

do we want Ben back .................

its threads like this that make me not participate much any more ....

I mean come on get real did you pay attention to the QB play we got in 2019 ????

was you alive from Bradshaw's last snap to Ben's 1st ???

#ridiculous
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Yet, here both of you are. Here is the scenario...Ben comes back and we go 10-6 or worse with a first round exit in the playoffs. Then, Ben retires and we are left with shit at QB the next year without a high enough draft pick to attempt replacing Ben. Sure, we save a bunch of money, but we're also going to be in a place where we have no answer at the most crucial position on a football field. Imo, it's setting us up for mediocrity for years to come.

Scenario 2...Ben decides his heart isn't in it. We roll with your boy, Joe Flacco and company. We suck bad enough to land us in the top 10 to take our future QB. The defense is still young and in tact, and we still have plenty of cap space. If I'm not mistaken, Juju and Conner's contracts will be up. I could see them letting go of both, freeing up more space.

Here is the question...Do you want to be mediocre this season and try to sign a journeyman QB the following season or suck this coming season and draft a QB the following?

Before you come at me with none of this is facts...yatta yatta yatta...believe me, I know this. This is all hypothetical.
    Intentionally losing, fosters a culture of losing, of mediocrity, of allowing rats on the ship (metaphorically speaking).

If you want to win in life, sports, business, etc, you need people with a hard working mindset that are committed to succeeding. Those people don't "tank a season". Those people go work for the Cincinnati Bengals or find a mediocre job where they can be mediocre and hopefully hide behind a union that supports their mediocrity.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Intentionally losing, fosters a culture of losing, of mediocrity, of allowing rats on the ship (metaphorically speaking).

If you want to win in life, sports, business, etc, you need people with a hard working mindset that are committed to succeeding. Those people don't "tank a season". Those people go work for the Cincinnati Bengals or find a mediocre job where they can be mediocre and hopefully hide behind a union that supports their mediocrity.

I agree.

You don't become great by intentionally losing. You play 100% to win or you don't play at all. Winning organizations didn't become that way by accident. They have a long history of consistently winning because they are always striving for greatness. That means always trying to put the best team possible on the field and then trying to get the absolute best out of the talent they have....with no exceptions.

Tanking should never be an option. It's just not how teams like the Steelers go about their business, nor should it be. It has been proven over time to be a superior way to run the team and succeed on the field, yet people seem to think they have been doing it all wrong all these years and they should change course. I will never understand that line of thinking.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    do we want Ben back .................

its threads like this that make me not participate much any more ....

I mean come on get real did you pay attention to the QB play we got in 2019 ????

was you alive from Bradshaw's last snap to Ben's 1st ???

#ridiculous
    Nope. Earlier in the thread he stated he had not seen OJ, Sayers, or even Sweetness play, only saw Barry Sanders.

As for the 2019 season he will have to answer that question. He has a lot to experience and not a lot we can say will change his mind.

I try to keep that in mind when I read his posts, hope you can do the same. Would hate to lose another good poster on the site.