Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we want Ben back?

Re: Do we want Ben back?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think it would be 2 more years of big yardage production. But the problem is that the Steelers would not want to tie up a large amount of Salary Cap on a RB and Bell wanted a large amount of $$$ to be paid for his production. So LeVeon Bell wasn't going to be a Steeler long term and I don't see the big problem with he and the Steelers parting ways.

Its like how Melvin Gordon wants to test the free agent market this year and get the most $$ he can. Also will see what happens with Derrick Henry as well. He played for $1.1million last season and you could argue that he played better than Todd Gurley did at $14.3 million.
    I was just wondering along the lines of, what if Bell was smart and realized he could have created a legacy in Pittsburgh and beyond that would have paid him dividends throughout his life. I would imagine that starting the year he sat out, he'd have at least another three years of big yardage production and then two or three of decent production. By that time, he'd have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame, especially if we ended up winning a SB with him.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

A. Bell is NOT smart.
    B. Who asked this dumb question in the first place? If Ben is healthy of course we want him back. We just watched a season of dip shits and retards trying to play Quarterback and some asshat has the nerve to ask if we want Ben back? Holy F@ck!

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThorndikeFFA View Post
    A. Bell is NOT smart.
    B. Who asked this dumb question in the first place? If Ben is healthy of course we want him back. We just watched a season of dip shits and retards trying to play Quarterback and some asshat has the nerve to ask if we want Ben back? Holy F@ck!
    Unfortunately there are some here who do not realize what it takes to have a QB who can not only win games but lead the team to and even win a SB.

They say things like "Ben was statistically better with AB and Bell", even though he did not win with either on the team and did win 2 without them. Ben does not need either of them to win a SB, but how have they done with a QB lesser than Ben? AB's stats fell off a cliff when Jones was slinging the ball and Bell has not done very well with the J.E.T.S. as of this point. Seems to me they both need Ben more than Ben needs them. Isn't if funny that AB did not want to play with Carr and the Raiders but rather only wanted to play with Tom Terrific and the cheats. I guess even he realized he needs someone better than average to keep his stats up.

They say "Ben's early success was because of the great D", even though that same great D was not able to win a SB before he got here. Hell even the Great D of the 90's only went to the SB once and they lost.

You even have to put in NOTES that Ben did not win the SBs alone because saying that he won 2 and went to 3 is interpreted by them as "he did it all himself". If you don't spell it out they take it literally.

It takes a lot of things for a team to win a SB, and yes it is still a team sport, but to win consistently you need to have a QB who has "It" and Ben has "It".

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I was just wondering along the lines of, what if Bell was smart and realized he could have created a legacy in Pittsburgh and beyond that would have paid him dividends throughout his life. I would imagine that starting the year he sat out, he'd have at least another three years of big yardage production and then two or three of decent production. By that time, he'd have been a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame, especially if we ended up winning a SB with him.
    I think the issue is that fans put their personal values upon players and think that players should do what the fans want them to. Maybe Bell didn't want to live the rest of his life in Pittsburgh and therefore whatever "legacy" he could build or "dividends" that created would not be worth an extra $5-10million. Maybe he wants to live life after football in South Florida, so being some great Pittsburgh RB that played on the "hometown discount" wasn't going to benefit him.

I think Bell did what he thought was in his personal employment best interest and I have no problem with that as a man. I've been a Steeler fan for over 40 years, but I realize that I cant live my life by my fandom and that I have to live in the real world Mon-Fri of what is best for me professionally and financially, so I don't begrudge NFL players for doing what is right for themselves professionally and financially.

As for the question of this thread, Ben is the best QB option the Steelers have and he should be back. I hate the idea of tanking a season to try and get a young QB. I also think the Steelers still don't win a SB with Fichtner as the OC and Ben in the twilight of his career.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think it would be 2 more years of big yardage production. But the problem is that the Steelers would not want to tie up a large amount of Salary Cap on a RB and Bell wanted a large amount of $$$ to be paid for his production. So LeVeon Bell wasn't going to be a Steeler long term and I don't see the big problem with he and the Steelers parting ways.

Its like how Melvin Gordon wants to test the free agent market this year and get the most $$ he can. Also will see what happens with Derrick Henry as well. He played for $1.1million last season and you could argue that he played better than Todd Gurley did at $14.3 million.
    You can’t argue that Henry played better than Gurley...Henry just did...there is no argument. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You can’t argue that Henry played better than Gurley...Henry just did...there is no argument. Lol
    Non hear. The Titans pretty much rode him all the way to the AFCCG. Talk about getting every pennies worth out of a guy.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Agreed. An if he leaves the Titans for a better contract elsewhere, like Washington but doesn't have the same statistical type year or they don't make the playoffs....do you think Titan fans will say that he was nothing without Ryan Tannehill?? He couldn't win without Tannehill. That is the similar argument that some make with LeVeon Bell after 1 season with the Jets.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Ben's gotta hang em up.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I've read a couple articles saying we should move on from Ben. I believe one was from Bleacher Report. Can't remember the other. I've also posted, in a different thread, my opinion on this.

I understand that the guys we have right now can't hold Ben's jockstrap. I also understand that it's hard to cut ties with a guy that has done so much for your franchise. However, the fact is, Ben is declining at a steep pace. He's not winning any more super bowls. He's also taking up a lot of cap space that could be used elsewhere.

The best we do next season is 8-8 or 10-6 and a 1st rd bounce from the playoffs, with a mediocre 1st rd draft pick that is too low to get our next franchise QB. I've never been a fan of tanking, but now would be the time to do it. If I'm running the show I'm forcing Ben out much like Troy Polamalu. I remember when TP retired and it was sad, but I believe it was time and the right decision.

After Ben is out I'm signing Joe Flacco or another veteran QB who has starting experience. At worst, the vet can help groom Rudolph and Duck. With Flacco and the bums at the helm, I believe we go no better than 6-10, increasing our chances for a top 10 pick to land a QB.

Trevor Lawrence would be on my radar, and I'd do what it takes to make sure he's a Steeler. In this years draft I would be drafting his protection. (Draft the passer, protect the passer, rush the passer) Not many super bowls are won in this era without an elite QB, which is why I'm ok with sacrificing a mediocre season to land the best prospect since Andrew Luck, in Trevor Lawrence.

To put into perspective, is it worth riding Ben for another mediocre season, while also being left with a 20+ draft pick where we could quite possibly be reaching for a QB, or cutting ties now, and take the ass beatings next year to land a possible sure thing? Imo, keeping Ben around is going to further the rebuilding process, while potentially making things worse before they get better when he does decide to hang it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Begin the roast
    Doesn't look so crazy now.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Balt - Bad performance, bailed out by defense and the absence of their best player (Lamar Jackson). Should have been a loss
    Wash - Bad performance, lost to a weak opponent
    Buff - Bad performance, lost to a strong opponent but doesn't change the fact he looked like shit
    Cincy - Bad performance, lost to a BOTTOM FEEDER

how many chances does this guy get? any other QB in the league would've been benched at this point

Member Array title="Istina has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Balt - Bad performance, bailed out by defense and the absence of their best player (Lamar Jackson). Should have been a loss
    Wash - Bad performance, lost to a weak opponent
    Buff - Bad performance, lost to a strong opponent but doesn't change the fact he looked like shit
    Cincy - Bad performance, lost to a BOTTOM FEEDER

how many chances does this guy get? any other QB in the league would've been benched at this point
    He gets 3 more chances and then they'll make a decision on what to do with Ben for next year.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Istina View Post
    He gets 3 more chances and then they'll make a decision on what to do with Ben for next year.
    well, time's running out and losing to the bengals isn't making a good case for your future especially being paid as much as he is

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben's done. Will appreciate what he did for the team but he's done

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

At this point, no.

You could've put Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges out there and got the same suckitude. At least they don't eat up the Steelers' cap space too much to suck.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm hoping he retires.

Wow....from MVP candidate, to getting shown the door in 3 weeks. That escalated quickly!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Wow....from MVP candidate, to getting shown the door in 3 weeks. That escalated quickly!
    That’s how fast and hard Ben plummeted. Catastrophic turn to the season.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Istina View Post
    Unfortunately its been made. Ben will make 30 mill next year. Niners got rid of Montana, cheats got rid of Marsha, packers got rid of Favre. Bens time should be up after playoff loss, unfortunately Steelers on hook for another year. With zero chance of scrambling and gaining 10 yards Ben is average at best. Unless he wins Lombardi trophy, no point in bringing back. We would have won game with Finley as QB.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

He was only an MVP candidate in through black
    And gold colored glasses. But he was good enough to win a Super Bowl if he’d stayed the same QB as he was earlier in the season. But he’s not. He’s worse than the third string QB on a disaster of a Bengals team.

He’s not who he was. He’s embarrassing to watch.

But here’s the shitty part. Aparantly his contract is binding and we get ZERO cap space relief if he retires.

None.

For being such a piece of shit mentally (I could forgive physically but he got two of our pass catchers injured when he had wide open receivers down field so fuck him) I think we should force him not to retire and hold a clipboard for some douchebag like Gardner Minshew next year.

Fuck Ben for losing to the Bengals. All he had to do was not turn the ball over 3 fucking times. Or if you have lost all physical ability then let Josh Dobbs play. At least he might scramble for a first down

He was playing at an MVP level then defenses caught onto his weaknesses and now we're seeing his true colors. Are you arguing that or just trolling?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    He was only an MVP candidate in through black
    And gold colored glasses.
    No the national talking heads were talking about Ben and the MVP more than this forum.

It has been quite a fall from grace.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    No the national talking heads were talking about Ben and the MVP more than this forum.

It has been quite a fall from grace.
    The suddenness of it is what gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    The suddenness of it is what gets me.
    Didn't a similar thing happen to Peyton Manning? He started off the season doing pretty well then all of a sudden it seemed like he couldn't throw past 15 yards.

Though Manning's ability to read a defense and call the right plays was light years ahead of Ben. No knock on Ben, but Manning was probably the best field general type of QB that ever played

Have any opinions changed after Sunday?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

He's signed for the 2021 season, but it's time to move on after that.

Can someone tell me I was wrong about this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Can someone tell me I was wrong about this thread?
    The 2020 return was the correct move. On the other hand, 2021 needs to go a different direction. Actually, I’d be good with a 5-11 year in order to move up in the 2022 draft. The problem is that Ben is still good enough with this defense to get them to 10-6 and a first round ouster.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Actually, I’d be good with a 5-11 year in order to move up in the 2022 draft.
    impossible.

Tomlin's teams never have a losing record.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

I don’t want Ben back.

I appreciate what he has done for us in the past.
    I think we may be a 9-7 to 11-5 team with Ben but we won’t be able to go further in the playoffs.

I would prefer to struggle and try to find a QB that we can potentially win a SB with rather than keep Ben which makes us an above average team but not being able to win a SB is a deal breaker.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

A QB that can get you to the playoffs regularly is the definition of franchise guy. Not taking away anything from the disappointing loss this year, but it's very tough to win in the playoffs as a rule. Getting to the playoffs is the goal every year for every team. When you have a QB that lets you expect playoffs every year you start to think you deserve the SB every 2-3 seasons. That just isn't realistic. Every single season is it's own unique series of events. Should the Steelers have beaten the Browns in this season's wildcard game? I totally believe YES. But you cannot spot any team 28 points in the 1st qtr, not even the Browns.

If Rudolph leads the Steelers to the playoffs 3 years in a row, regardless what happens once there, the expectation by the fanbase will be a 4th year in a row with SB or bust. That's just not reality. Not for any team.