Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WR Coach

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

WR Coach

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/st...-new-wr-coach/

I don't know anything about this guy. But I do like the trend with this and the Canada hire. Younger college coaches that aren't part of the annual NFL coaching recycling program.

Fresh ideas and perspectives hopefully.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: WR Coach

A Gamecock? yuck!.

Seriously though, hope he does well. 36 years old, never worked for an NFL team before.

He'll have some insight on WR Bryan Edwards come draft time. 6'3" WR. He also helped develop 49ers rookie Debo Samuel.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/st...-new-wr-coach/

I don't know anything about this guy. But I do like the trend with this and the Canada hire. Younger college coaches that aren't part of the annual NFL coaching recycling program.

Fresh ideas and perspectives hopefully.
    ”Fresh ideas” and the mediocre South Carolina offense are not terms often heard in the same sentence here in SEC country.

McClendon was the Gamecocks offensive coordinator in 2018-19, but he was demoted late last season by head coach Will Muschamp. His offenses ranked 57th and 96th in the country.

https://triblive.com/sports/report-s...n-as-wr-coach/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Steelers Depot is quickly becoming the “Cliff Claven” of news reports. That fact is barely even a “fun fact”...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I heard Ike Taylor was available for the job...
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    ”Fresh ideas” and the mediocre South Carolina offense are not terms often heard in the same sentence here in SEC country.

McClendon was the Gamecocks offensive coordinator in 2018-19, but he was demoted late last season by head coach Will Muschamp. His offenses ranked 57th and 96th in the country.

Well, that sucks. I don't know anything about the coach, the team, or really what a WRs coach even does. I was just excited that the hire wasn't some guy who has been bouncing around the NFL for 3 decades getting jobs as his coaching friends move up the ladder. Maybe in this case, it was far too optimistic of a thought.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Well, that sucks. I don't know anything about the coach, the team, or really what a WRs coach even does. I was just excited that the hire wasn't some guy who has been bouncing around the NFL for 3 decades getting jobs as his coaching friends move up the ladder. Maybe in this case, it was far too optimistic of a thought.

I wouldn't make too much of that. Head coaches often need to blame ineffective units on coordinators, or they are forced to do so because of outside pressure within the program that the athletic director or administration make as a demand for the head coach to keep his job.

Besides, position coaching is far different from being a coordinator, and you can only work with the talent that is given to you at a second tier program. I really don't know much about the guy either, but I would imagine there are good football people that are aware of the type of coach he is and how he goes about his business.

I see he was a running back coach that coached Isaiah Crowell, Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, and Sony Michele. I know those guys have talent, but it still takes coaching to develop that talent. He obviously didn't have that type of talent at the WR position at South Carolina.

I see that the three assistants to be leaving South Carolina are all getting better jobs making good money. It sounds like a recruiting and head coach problem more than problems with the assistant coaching staff. I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Steelers Depot is quickly becoming the “Cliff Claven” of news reports. That fact is barely even a “fun fact”...lol.
    but their draft coverage is fantastic.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers reportedly adding South Carolina receivers coach

Well, this is the second coaching position I hoped the steelers would take care of, the other was the QB coach. I hope it helps.

The Steelers went through last season with an interim receivers coach, and it appears they may have filled the job.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ceivers-coach/

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers reportedly adding South Carolina receivers coach

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Well, this is the second coaching position I hoped the steelers would take care of, the other was the QB coach. I hope it helps.

The Steelers went through last season with an interim receivers coach, and it appears they may have filled the job.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ceivers-coach/
    Dude you’re six hours late.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Dude you’re six hours late.
    I do have a life beyond the internet.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I do have a life beyond the internet.
    There’s no need for that!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Thank you. Lots of college coaches out there with "fresh ideas". Still doesn't mean they are "good ideas" for professional football, where just about every player was on scholarship.

I bet lots of fans think that a jet sweep like their favorite college team runs is a good idea in the NFL and should be done more. They just have no idea of why that is a bad idea in the NFL and don't want to go thru the thought process of why its actually pretty dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

So you are excited about a hire that you know nothing about, nor his track record or performance, but rather that just that its anti-establishment? Sorry man, for a guy that seemingly likes to deal in concrete facts, statistics and logic, that doesn't seem congruent with your regular thought process.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I wouldn't make too much of that. Head coaches often need to blame ineffective units on coordinators, or they are forced to do so because of outside pressure within the program that the athletic director or administration make as a demand for the head coach to keep his job.

Besides, position coaching is far different from being a coordinator, and you can only work with the talent that is given to you at a second tier program. I really don't know much about the guy either, but I would imagine there are good football people that are aware of the type of coach he is and how he goes about his business.

I see he was a running back coach that coached Isaiah Crowell, Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, and Sony Michele. I know those guys have talent, but it still takes coaching to develop that talent. He obviously didn't have that type of talent at the WR position at South Carolina.

I see that the three assistants to be leaving South Carolina are all getting better jobs making good money. It sounds like a recruiting and head coach problem more than problems with the assistant coaching staff. I look forward to seeing what he can do.
    , I’m interested in seeing how this and the Canada hire do. We were down and out in both ares this season - we can only get better with these two hires. Also, agree with the notion that managers/head coaches cast blame on their subordinates all the time to deflect from there own failures - see Paths of Glory (1957)

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

And yet while all this is taking place , the earth continues to run out of helium . Unbelievable .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This seems like as good of a place as any to insert an interesting fact. Here is what the new WRs coach has to work with:

Most forced missed-tackles by a WR:
    1. Diontae Johnson
    2. Chris Godwin (2nd team All-Pro)

SUMMATION:
    I can’t wait to see what this kid does with Ben at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thank you. Lots of college coaches out there with "fresh ideas". Still doesn't mean they are "good ideas" for professional football, where just about every player was on scholarship.

I bet lots of fans think that a jet sweep like their favorite college team runs is a good idea in the NFL and should be done more. They just have no idea of why that is a bad idea in the NFL and don't want to go thru the thought process of why its actually pretty dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

So you are excited about a hire that you know nothing about, nor his track record or performance, but rather that just that its anti-establishment? Sorry man, for a guy that seemingly likes to deal in concrete facts, statistics and logic, that doesn't seem congruent with your regular thought process.
    I would rather hire a younger position coach than just hire one of the "usual suspect" NFL retreads that are available because the Browns, Bengals, Redskins, or whatever other bad team that purged their coaching staff made someone available. I am operating under the assumption that since the Steelers are typically a deliberate and cautious organization and not known for capricious coaching hires, that they did their due diligence and the guy has the basic qualifications for the job. I think the Steelers staff is needing some voices under 50 and from outside the organization.

Of course, who knows? We can debate these kinds of hires until we are all blue in the face. But it is ultimately meaningless. We, as fans, are never truly sure how this team arrives at gameplans and playcalls. They seem to be intentionally obscure about the roles of individual coaches. So if all this guy is going to do is coach WRs on route running and the other fundamentals of their position -- likely doesn't matter. If the Steelers are wanting gameplan input and offensive system advice from their position coaches, then maybe it matters what they've done in the past. Either way, be interesting to find out.

Long story short, he likely got hired because he was friends with and mentored by the late Daryl Drake anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    There’s no need for that!
    I was just needling him for starting the same thread right under the original and he was just needling me back....all good fun.

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/re...viewed-friday/

Well apparently, not so fast folks.

What do you know. Speculative reports and unsourced Tweets don't always have the facts straight. South Carolina dude is one of several candidates being interviewed for the job, including former Steelers WR, Jericho Crotchery.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/re...viewed-friday/

Well apparently, not so fast folks.

What do you know. Speculative reports and unsourced Tweets don't always have the facts straight. South Carolina dude is one of several candidates being interviewed for the job, including former Steelers WR, Jericho Crotchery.
    Crotchery?

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I was just needling him for starting the same thread right under the original and he was just needling me back....all good fun.
    Hawkman, i believe he was telling Shoes that there was no need for him to have a life outside of the internet. I don't think he was bagging on you.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Crotchery?

Woops!! That is a haunting image. The eyes follow me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Hawkman, i believe he was telling Shoes that there was no need for him to have a life outside of the internet. I don't think he was bagging on you.
    You’d be correct

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Woops!! That is a haunting image. The eyes follow me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Okay... you just made me lean sideways in my chair to see if that was true.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Report: Bryan McClendon Won’t Be Steelers New WRs Coach; Staying At South Carolina

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on February 15, 2020

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/re...outh-carolina/

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Report: Bryan McClendon Won’t Be Steelers New WRs Coach; Staying At South Carolina

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on February 15, 2020

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/02/re...outh-carolina/
    So Jerricho Cotchery is the guy?

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Bet the Skins are sorry to see him go......Put it another way, I’ll bet Ron Rivera is sorry to see him go.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Wasn't Ike Hilliard a receiver for the Saints back in the day?

edit: Just checked, it was the giants. Thought it was NO for some reason

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Wasn't Ike Hilliard a receiver for the Saints back in the day?

edit: Just checked, it was the giants. Thought it was NO for some reason
    Played w/Tampa Bay after the Giants