Thread: Vince Williams the odd man out at ILB?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Vince Williams the odd man out at ILB?

So I have read. Williams isn't worth his cap number of 7 million, but cutting him doesn't save the Steeler much. Just under a million.

https://overthecap.com/player/vince-williams/2353/

Barron's cap number is 8.1 million in 2020. However the Steelers can save 5.25 million is they cut him. That's a lot of cap space.

https://overthecap.com/player/mark-barron/355/

I'd cut Barron, and sub in Edmunds or Williams depending on down and distance.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 02-09-2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Edwards corrected to Edmunds. #34

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Vince Williams the odd man out at ILB?

Don't forget about UG 3.

I'd keep VW over Barron.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Don't forget about UG 3.

I'd keep VW over Barron.
    UG3 is going to be a good linebacker. Wouldn't shock me at all if he starting next to Bush game one.

- - - Updated - - -

VW98 being cut would surprise me.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

This is the problem with restructuring contracts, it puts you in these kinds of awkward situations.

They will either cut him June 1 or not at all. I think he's a player worth keeping, and they probably will ... the cap charge is basically the result of pushing most of last year's salary into this year with a restructure, and now the bill comes due. No real way to get it back, so the question is whether the player is worth keeping on the roster or not, and Williams probably is.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

barron should be gone IMO vinny is a thumper and LBer , barron not so much and he put edmonds in some bad situations sign davis move him into barrons roll

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    barron should be gone IMO vinny is a thumper and LBer , barron not so much and he put edmonds in some bad situations sign davis move him into barrons roll
    If they could convince Davis to do that it might be a sneaky great move.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    UG3 is going to be a good linebacker. Wouldn't shock me at all if he starting next to Bush game one.

- - - Updated - - -

VW98 being cut would surprise me.
    Yeah, I think Vince still is in the base defense with Bush and they try to restructure his deal. UGIII might be a sub package LB, as he is better in coverage right now than the run game IMO. Barron is too expensive and might be the cap casualty. Who it this Edwards LB the OP mentions?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I'd cut Barron, and sub in Edwards, or Williams depending on down and distance.
    you mean Edmunds perhaps?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

I was wondering about that too.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    Davis as a linebacker? I kind of like it.

Can he cover receivers? No. Can he make tackles or cover a zone? No. Could he possibly do that in a dumbed-down role against TEs and RBs and underneath stuff? Holy shit, that's maybe the one way to fix that waste of a draft pick.

On the other hand, look at how well he's done at any of the things that a CB or S has to do, and the likely result is that he would also suck in a new role for the same reasons. We let him walk and call the end of this dumb experiment.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Yeah Edmunds.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They can’t cut everybody. Even if Vince isn’t the man, they still need depth and he brings “starter experience depth”.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m a huge fan of Bince. IMO, he should be starting alongside of Bush (and Barron should be cut).

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’m a huge fan of Bince. IMO, he should be starting alongside of Bush (and Barron should be cut).
    I agree. Barron was veteran insurance in case they could not draft a ILB that can cover, but they got Bush and Gilbert III. My question is, if they release Barron to save money, do they still look to extend Matakevich for depth and Special Teams or move on to another vet special teamer?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

We need Vince, he's our best run stopper. And yes even in today's NFL you need to be able to stop the run

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Look at some of the teams that made the playoffs:
    Titans - great run game
    Cheats - great run game
    SF - great run game
    Rams last season - great run game

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Look at some of the teams that made the playoffs:
    Titans - great run game
    Cheats - great run game
    SF - great run game
    Rams last season - great run game
    Which is why I think it'd be foolish to just get rid of Vince. Yeah he's not the sexy pick for a LB (not the guy who runs a sub 4.5 while weighing 240+ lbs) but he's the type of player you need on every roster.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree. Barron was veteran insurance in case they could not draft a ILB that can cover, but they got Bush and Gilbert III. My question is, if they release Barron to save money, do they still look to extend Matakevich for depth and Special Teams or move on to another vet special teamer?
    Bush is the only “given”.

After that, UGIII would be my eventual starter, with Bince starting now. Heck, just two seasons ago, Bince led all ILBs with 8 sacks. I’m not sure why/how Barron supplanted him. Really. I don’t get that move... because, when Bince was playing, I noticed a significant difference in the feel of the game.

Anyway, I’d cut Barron and use that money to re-sign someone else (whose name rhymes with Mott). Same goes for Matakavich; I’d cut him and go with a rookie.

That said, my guess is that our opening-day starters are Bush & Barron, with Bince and UGIII as the backups... with Matakavich (vet minimum) beating out a rookie, because Red plays on special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bush is the only “given”.

After that, UGIII would be my eventual starter, with Bince starting now. Heck, just two seasons ago, Bince led all ILBs with 8 sacks. I’m not sure why/how Barron supplanted him. Really. I don’t get that move... because, when Bince was playing, I noticed a significant difference in the feel of the game.

Anyway, I’d cut Barron and use that money to re-sign someone else (whose name rhymes with Mott). Same goes for Matakavich; I’d cut him and go with a rookie.

That said, my guess is that our opening-day starters are Bush & Barron, with Bince and UGIII as the backups... with Matakavich (vet minimum) beating out a rookie, because Red plays on special teams.
    I think Bince was injured a bit early, so Barron was logical to get more of the reps and they didn't expect him to jog on plays. IMO, they still need a between the tackles ILB, with Ingram, Chubb and Joe Mixon in the division and that should be Williams. Maybe they find the cap room to keep both, but I agree that Barron is who I would choose to save cap space with and plan on Jerry O coaching up UGIII