Thread: Art Rooney II: Steelers may sign a WR or RB, we’re good with the QBs we have

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Art Rooney II: Steelers may sign a WR or RB, we’re good with the QBs we have

Steelers President Art Rooney II says his team could use some offensive playmakers but won’t go shopping for a quarterback this offseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-qbs-we-have/

Senior Member Array title="Squeegee Thompson has a brilliant future"> Squeegee Thompson's Avatar

Re: Art Rooney II: Steelers may sign a WR or RB, we’re good with the QBs we have

Then, Art, you better damn well hope that Ben comes back fully, throws like he's 25 again, and plays 16+ games next year. Because you are very much not good at QB if Ben goes down.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Art Rooney II: Steelers may sign a WR or RB, we’re good with the QBs we have

Not much money to work with.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

We got big ben

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee Thompson View Post
    Then, Art, you better damn well hope that Ben comes back fully, throws like he's 25 again, and plays 16+ games next year. Because you are very much not good at QB if Ben goes down.
    Haha, we were an avg QB away from a deep playoff run this season, even a declining Ben is at least above average, and that is all we will need.

In all honesty, as hard as I was on Mason R. last year, the little he played in his last game before he was injured evidenced he might have taken another big step in his development. If the coaches believe that, then I can see them standing pat on the QBs we have. Again, if he took another step, that would make him one of the better backups in the league in only his second year actually on the field. (I think of his first year as a redshirt year).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

RB(Bell), WR(AB)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    RB(Bell), WR(AB)
    would be great, but no thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    RB(Bell), WR(AB)
    would be great, but no thanks.<br>
    <br>

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

It all a bluff, he's going after a TE.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm honestly not sure what good your average free agent QB will do. And you can guarantee a guy like Rivers, Brady or Newton won't sign to be Ben's understudy. Ben won't like that either. Help your QBs. Btw, I hope they sign an o-lineman with a history of solid play

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    In all honesty, as hard as I was on Mason R. last year, the little he played in his last game before he was injured evidenced he might have taken another big step in his development. If the coaches believe that, then I can see them standing pat on the QBs we have. Again, if he took another step, that would make him one of the better backups in the league in only his second year actually on the field. (I think of his first year as a redshirt year).
    the Steelers were able to assess Rudolph’s improvement from one quarter against the jets? I’m thinking money plays a factor as well. I have my doubts that a QB can be determined to be improved from one quarter of play. But, hey, they’re the football experts, have to trust they’re judgement. As a fan, though, I would feel better if they could figure out a way to fit a vet QB onto the roster for next season.

- - - Updated - - -

the Steelers were able to assess Rudolph’s improvement from one quarter against the jets? I’m thinking money plays a factor as well. I have my doubts that a QB can be determined to be improved from one quarter of play. But, hey, they’re the football experts, have to trust they’re judgement. As a fan, though, I would feel better if they could figure out a way to fit a vet QB onto the roster for next season.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    No, but they're able to asses from three or four weeks of practice plus a quarter of playing time in a real game. Don't forget, there are probably some specific milestones they're looking for. Does he step into his passes? Is his release quicker than before? What he put on the table, although short, says yes, he has improved. If that was consistent in practice and then again in the game, then yes, that very well might have been enough for them to give him a shot next year.

Don't forget. We only see thirty to forty minutes of actual football each week. The rest of the time is filled up with commercials, time outs, dead-ball time, and the time before the snap. By comparison, the coaches see hours upon hours upon hours of football every week in practice.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

No, but they're able to asses from three or four weeks of practice plus a quarter of playing time in a real game. Don't forget, there are probably some specific milestones they're looking for. Does he step into his passes? Is his release quicker than before? What he put on the table, although short, says yes, he has improved. If that was consistent in practice and then again in the game, then yes, that very well might have been enough for them to give him a shot next year.

Don't forget. We only see thirty to forty minutes of actual football each week. The rest of the time is filled up with commercials, time outs, dead-ball time, and the time before the snap. By comparison, the coaches see hours upon hours upon hours of football every week in practice.
    Yes but that is the MOST important time of seeing what the QB is capable of doing much more than practice or behind the scenes. I think they are hoping more than anything they won't have to replace Ben for any length of time and that maybe they can help them to develop into something more as the off season and next season goes on.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I believe that Mr. Rooney and the coaching staff think that there is a window to make a run if Ben comes back at a high level, and if they can strengthen the roster around him. They would rather spend that money on players that will be on the field for the majority of snaps, not waiting for Ben to get hurt and sitting on the sidelines.

Let's face it. If your backup quarterback is in there, the chances of winning a Super Bowl are next to nothing anyway. They're betting on Ben.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    It all a bluff, he's going after a TE.
    Beat me to it...HENRY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Deleted

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers hitched their wagon to Ben to the tune of 30 million bucks.

They couldn’t sign a backup QB even if they wanted to.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Wait until they restructure the deal and his 2021 cap hit goes even higher.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Don't need to. Rudolph Will be sufficient.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

They are better off drafting a WR/RB and signing a safety for depth. Hopefully a cheap NT is on the market also(I'm hoping the Jets cut McLendon)
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa