Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,303

    Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Almost everyone southwest of Boston was happy to see the Patriots out of the Super Bowl and going one and done in the wildcard en lieu of a new AFC Champion. However, is this merely the start of a new team winning most of the AFC Championships for a period of time? Is this merely a transfer of powers and the start of a new reign of terror? It's too early to say and in the NFL salary cap era it's hard to sustain a lengthy run of time as the top. Plus injuries can derail a team at any moment. However, it is impossible to deny that Patrick Mahomes is a dominant force. He makes plays few if any QB in NFL history could make. The 3rd and 15 down 10 on the first 4th quarter TD drive was magnificent. He is nearly impossible to stop. Last year it took a great performance by Tom Brady and a terrible Cheifs defense to keep Mahomes from the Super Bowl. Now with better defense, it makes them even scarier. As long as Mahomes stays healthy, this team is going to be contending especially with Andy Reid. Again it's too early and a lot can happen that can make the Chiefs a one and done Super Bowl champion but it's hard not to at least speculate.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    3,404

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Well with Tom Brady and the Patriots on the down slide, the window is open for them. However, we'll see what happens when Mahomes is due a big contract. They will have a hard time keeping all their star players when they have to pay a franchise QB. Part of why that offense is so unstoppable is they're not paying 40 million to the QB.

    Mahomes doesn't have a billionaire wife so I doubt he'll play for 10 mil a year either lol.
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner, 3- Tom Brady, 4- Lamar Jackson. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad

  3. #3
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    35,098

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    They keep playing from behind and at some point they’ll get burned...


  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,441

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Well with Tom Brady and the Patriots on the down slide, the window is open for them. However, we'll see what happens when Mahomes is due a big contract. They will have a hard time keeping all their star players when they have to pay a franchise QB. Part of why that offense is so unstoppable is they're not paying 40 million to the QB.

    Mahomes doesn't have a billionaire wife so I doubt he'll play for 10 mil a year either lol.
    So true. Mahomes cap hit next year is $5million. Chefs will pick up his 5th year option, unless he angles for a new contract earlier. But when he is making $25million a year at QB that contract will saddle them a bit like it did with Russell Wilson in Seattle.

    That being said, they have 2 years before that happens, so expect them to make a good run next year too.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    3,404

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So true. Mahomes cap hit next year is $5million. Chefs will pick up his 5th year option, unless he angles for a new contract earlier. But when he is making $25million a year at QB that contract will saddle them a bit like it did with Russell Wilson in Seattle.

    That being said, they have 2 years before that happens, so expect them to make a good run next year too.
    I know it could be an unpopular opinion especially with KC fans, but Mahomes could be in a great position now to hold out for a contract. I mean right now he's the best QB in the league and it's not even close.

    With that said though I don't think it'll happen, he comes across as a guy who puts as much value into winning as getting paid.
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner, 3- Tom Brady, 4- Lamar Jackson. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad

  6. #6
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    11,057

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    I think a lot of it is the AFC in general is in a downswing. The competition really falls off after the first two or three teams, and even the Ravens and Patriots were paper tigers. Whereas the NFC playoffs were a slugfest top to bottom.

    Not to diminish what the Chiefs were able to do, because they were really good ... it's just that it's easier for the good teams to rise to the top when you have a situation like this year. Whether the Chiefs have an extended run depends a lot on who else shows up to challenge them. Hopefully the Steelers can even figure into that.

    Mahomes is going to get a $30M contract, no doubt about it ... we will see if he can live up to it.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  7. #7
    raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    richmond va
    Gender
    Posts
    1,586

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Go ahead and flame me. If Ben had not gotten hurt with the way or defense was playing, we could have been playing yesterday.

    "Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    3,404

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I think a lot of it is the AFC in general is in a downswing. The competition really falls off after the first two or three teams, and even the Ravens and Patriots were paper tigers. Whereas the NFC playoffs were a slugfest top to bottom.

    Not to diminish what the Chiefs were able to do, because they were really good ... it's just that it's easier for the good teams to rise to the top when you have a situation like this year. Whether the Chiefs have an extended run depends a lot on who else shows up to challenge them. Hopefully the Steelers can even figure into that.

    Mahomes is going to get a $30M contract, no doubt about it ... we will see if he can live up to it.
    I'm thinking 40, 30 would be a lowball considering that he's the best QB atm, and Wilson / Rodgers already are above the 30m mark. At the time of his signing he's going to be the highest paid NFL player.

    The only way I can see him signing for 30 is if he takes a discount to keep Tyreek Hill or Kelce on the roster. QB's I guess sometimes have been known to take a lower contract to keep their favorite guys on the team. However, I don't see anything lower than 30, he's not married to Giselle
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner, 3- Tom Brady, 4- Lamar Jackson. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array title="tom444 is a splendid one to behold"> tom444's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Posts
    683

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Don't worry, the Patriots will take care of the Chiefs. This ia their 15 minutes than it's bye bye.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    3,404

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Don't worry, the Patriots will take care of the Chiefs. This ia their 15 minutes than it's bye bye.
    Not likely, when Brady wants 40 million you guys gotta play on even ground with everybody else
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner, 3- Tom Brady, 4- Lamar Jackson. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="j-d-s has a spectacular aura about">

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Erlangen, Germany
    Gender
    Posts
    483

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'm thinking 40, 30 would be a lowball considering that he's the best QB atm, and Wilson / Rodgers already are above the 30m mark. At the time of his signing he's going to be the highest paid NFL player.

    The only way I can see him signing for 30 is if he takes a discount to keep Tyreek Hill or Kelce on the roster. QB's I guess sometimes have been known to take a lower contract to keep their favorite guys on the team. However, I don't see anything lower than 30, he's not married to Giselle
    It definitely is a smart decision from a QB to not eat up a large amount of the salary cap in order to keep a good supporting cast on the team. Even the best QB won't go far in the playoffs if the defense is horrible or he has to run for his life all game.

    I horribly remember the times when we had an average at best O-Line and Ben was running and scrambling all the time because defenders where chasing him...

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,303

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Free agency makes it tricky to be more than a one-off Super Bowl winner. This year Chris Jones is due to be a free agent so they will need to pay him to keep him (he along with Matthieu are the two most important players on that team after Mahomes). Matthieu himself has 2 years left, he will enter his 10th year when his contract was up, but he was instrumental in the defensive turnaround, it's best for them to hold onto him as long as his prime lasts

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="tom444 is a splendid one to behold"> tom444's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Posts
    683

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Not likely, when Brady wants 40 million you guys gotta play on even ground with everybody else

    He'll be back here to help out the weaklings in the ACF defeat the Chiefs.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Gender
    Posts
    3,895

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Go ahead and flame me. If Ben had not gotten hurt with the way or defense was playing, we could have been playing yesterday.
    We don't get Minkah if Ben is healthy, other than that yes with this D next year will be something fun to watch

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    4,213

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Would probably have been two SB's in a row if not for the neutral zone call against the Pats last year.

  16. #16
    Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Posts
    22,913

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Would probably have been two SB's in a row if not for the neutral zone call against the Pats last year.
    Not to mention the bullshit "roughing the passer" call...

  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    10,479

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Go ahead and flame me. If Ben had not gotten hurt with the way or defense was playing, we could have been playing yesterday.
    Next season, with our defense and adequate QB play, we should win it all.

    But, my guess is that if we win a Lombardi, Ben will retire. So, in the 2022 season, unless we get a QB who can “not lose” the game for us, the Chiefs will indeed be the front-runner.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Go ahead and flame me. If Ben had not gotten hurt with the way or defense was playing, we could have been playing yesterday.
    Okay, I’ll flame you....but only because you said I could, and you’re a fellow Richmonder.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    6,783

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Next season are you taking the Chiefs in the AFC or the field? I don't think they are the clear choice at this point so my answer is no, they are not dominating the AFC.

  20. #20
    One bad JuJu Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute"> 43Hitman's Avatar
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Va
    Gender
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Next season are you taking the Chiefs in the AFC or the field? I don't think they are the clear choice at this point so my answer is no, they are not dominating the AFC.
    I'll take the field please.






  21. #21
    Senior Member Array title="Ezra Tank has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    2,526

    Re: Are the Chiefs just starting to dominate the AFC?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Go ahead and flame me. If Ben had not gotten hurt with the way or defense was playing, we could have been playing yesterday.
    I'm not going to flame you, because I partially agree but we didn't have the offensive weapons like KC did.

    Conner = glass tiger.
    Juju = injured deer in headlights season.
    McDonald = meh.


    DJ had a great rookie season but I just don't think our horses would have been able to keep up with KC and our great defense would have eventually tired just like the Niners. Ben would have made us way better but in the end I just don't think we would have produced enough to beat KC. Now if we had this defense in 2017 we easily would have won it all with that powerhouse offense that put up 42 points in a playoff game and still lost.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •