Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore was named the league’s AP Defensive Player of the Year.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore was named the league’s AP Defensive Player of the Year.

Had a great season.

Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore named 2019 NFL Defensive Player of the Year

New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore was named the NFL's AP Defensive Player of the Year on Saturday.

MIAMI — For the first time in four years, the New England Patriots aren’t playing in the Super Bowl.
    But that didn’t stop the 6-time NFL champions from leaving Miami with some hardware.

The NFL Honors award show on Saturday, Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore was named the league’s AP Defensive Player of the Year. The 29-year-old Gilmore is the first defensive back to win the award since 2010 and first cornerback to do so since Charles Woodson in 2009.

In what marked his third season in New England, Gilmore NFL highs in both pass defenses (20) and interceptions (6) in 2019. Routinely covering opponents’ top wide receivers, the 3-time Pro Bowl selection helped anchor a Patriots defense that ranked first in yards allowed, first in points allowed and second in passing defense this past season.

Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald and Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt were the two other finalists for the award.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/sp...2-a5cbbcceba93

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore was named the league’s AP Defensive Player of the Year.

that's because TJ Watt is not eligible for DPOY until next year, the NFL has already exceeded the Watt DPOY allocation for this decade.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore was named the league’s AP Defensive Player of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    that's because TJ Watt is not eligible for DPOY until next year, the NFL has already exceeded the Watt DPOY allocation for this decade.

/thread

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Bleh. TJ dominated this year.

How many Super Bowls have the little Watt's boys played in?

How many has Gilmore played in?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post

this is an individual award, not a team one.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It's funny, I read an article of NFL.com on ranking defensive player of the year race. The author proceeded to admit that Watt was better but gave the edge to Gilmore because "he wanted to see a defensive back win". Sometimes these subjective awards are more about politics than actual ability. Give it to the Patriot player to further stroke Bellichick rather than the most impactful defender

I read an article that said Watt was only in the race because of who his older brother is and that he didn't really belong on the list. True, but a little harsh.

Current Patriot Stephon Gilmore and former Patriot Chandler Jones get the most votes.

AP Defensive Player of the Year voting:
    Stephon Gilmore, CB, #Patriots 21
    Chandler Jones, Edge, #Cardinals 14
    T.J. Watt, Edge, #Steelers 10
    Shaq Barrett, LB, #Buccaneers 2
    Danielle Hunter, Edge, #Vikings 1
    Tre’Davious White, CB, #Bills 1
    Aaron Donald, DT, #Rams 1

Last edited by tom444; 02-02-2020 at 01:08 AM. Reason: artist

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

LOL... I'd take any of the little Watts boys on my team.
    Last edited by silver & black; 02-02-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I read an article that said Watt was only in the race because of who his older brother is and that he didn't really belong on the list. True, but a little harsh.

Current Patriot Stephon Gilmore and former Patriot Chandler Jones get the most votes.
    I wonder who the cheese dick is that wrote that article, got a link? TJ Watt is definitely a force and game changer in the NFL. And if I had the choice of Gilmore or Watt to pick for my team I'd pick Watt every time, and no i'm not wearing black and gold glasses.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

That article isn’t worth the paper (or keyboard) it was written on. It’s fraudulent.
    If the writer watched even a handful of Steelers games, it would have been clear to him that no nepotism was needed for TJ to be rightfully considered for the award.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I think the Steelers must be in Dumb444s head. He knows it's over for the cheats. I bet next year he is a total Steelers fan. I mean really, do any of you guys spend this much time on another teams board?

Quit Living In The Past

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

it could be argued that Chandler Jones deserved it, he dominated without a lot of talent around him.

19 sacks and 8 forced fumbles are very impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    I wonder who the cheese dick is that wrote that article, got a link? TJ Watt is definitely a force and game changer in the NFL. And if I had the choice of Gilmore or Watt to pick for my team I'd pick Watt every time, and no i'm not wearing black and gold glasses.

Hell, I'd pick Dont'a Hightower over TJ Watt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Quit Living In The Past
    A Steeler fan talking about "Living In The Past"!?!

- - - Updated - - -

it could be argued that Chandler Jones deserved it, he dominated without a lot of talent around him.

19 sacks and 8 forced fumbles are very impressive...

Point taken. I'd still pick Gilmore though.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quit Living In The Past
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Perfect!
    Ah huh, as of this very minute the Patriots are the reigning NFL champions. Tonight some imposter will hold the title until it returns to Foxborough next year, it's rightful home.

Ah huh, as of this very minute the Patriots are the reigning NFL champions. Tonight some imposter will hold the title until it returns to Foxborough next year, it's rightful home.
    do you think Brady will return?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

WOW! I didn't even know the Patriots played this year. Weird.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

A Steeler fan talking about "Living In The Past"!?!

- - - Updated - - -

Point taken. I'd still pick Gilmore though.
    What was i thinking?? Hightowers 5.5 sacks and O interceptions are truly impressive.

the Patriots* didn't play the Falcons this past season...

Never mind. The little barb escaped you since you don't know the history of the "other" forum.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Never mind. The little barb escaped you since you don't know the history of the "other" forum.
    Yes I do. I remember the Brit "Living in the Past", if that's your reference.

- - - Updated - - -

the Patriots* didn't play the Falcons this past season...
    No shit?

- - - Updated - - -

do you think Brady will return?
    No idea.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Typical Patriot fan

No shit?
    yet you used a pic of Hightower rushing Matt Ryan from a previous season to back your vote for Hightower over TJ Watt for this year's DPOY award?

that makes no sense, but then neither does Hightower over Watt so I guess why not?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

LOL I hope the Patriots front office hires you tomorrow

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Typical Patriot fan
    Don't worry he's going to see how much of a "genius" Belicheat is this year w/o Brady. Wait until he gets the Cleveland Browns version of Belicheat.

yet you used a pic of Hightower rushing Matt Ryan from a previous season to back your vote for Hightower over TJ Watt for this year's DPOY award?

that makes no sense, but then neither does Hightower over Watt so I guess why not?

No, I meant I'd take Hightoiwer over Watt, nothing to do with voting for anyone this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    LOL I hope the Patriots front office hires you tomorrow

What has Watt ever done? Now Hightower, on the other hand, has come up big on the big stage. I'
    ll take Hightower over Watt.

That's why you guys lose all the time. You play with a bunch of individuals, not as a team. Watt, AB, etc., have done nothing for you as a team.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Yeah Hightower sure showed up on the big stage when Henry ran over your entire defense for 182 yards. Isn't stopping the run one of the top responsibilities for an ILB? I don't know then, maybe the wildcard round of the playoffs wasn't a big enough stage for Hightower

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    ....... maybe the wildcard round of the playoffs wasn't a big enough stage for Hightower
    Exactly, that would be a HUGE stage for Watt though. Too big probably. Like his older brother he'd melt in the lime light.