Thread: Using this big board, create your own mock draft.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Using this big board, create your own mock draft.

Using this big board, create your own mock draft.

Rules you can not draft a player ahead of our picks or trade. Personally I prefer to wait for the combine as I think it mattes to determine upside and downside in a player.

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Dr...020-Page-1.asp

Round 2, Pick 49 QB Jacob Eason- Has first-round tools, size, and fantastic arm. I doubt he lasts this long. Since the Steelers won't ever be a bad enough team to pick a top 3 QB next year, I'll gamble here, but it's with upside.

Round 3, Projected comp pick #98 TE Cole Kempt TE. Had a good carrer at ND. I have seen him play live. He's NFL ready. I doubt he last this long.

Round 4, Pick 99, From Miami C Matt Hennsey. Grades out very high. Shined at the senior bowl with technique and tenacity.

Round 4, Pick 114 - Running Back Lamical Perine. Perine ran for 62 yards on seven carries and caught two passes for 17 yards in the senior bowl. A dual-threat with speed, hands, and quickness. Not a power back.

Round 6, Pick 179 - Punter Braden Mann - The Ray guy winner has a rare leg, punting average and even shines as a tackler on special teams.

Round 7, Pick 210 - Defensive Tackle / NT Bravvion Roy. Has 61 tackles which is rare for a DT/NT, also had 13 tackles for a loss and 5.5 sacks.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Using this big board, create your own mock draft.

Pick 49 Michael Pittman Jr ZWR USC
    pick 98 Alex Highsmith Edge Charlotte
    pick 99 Cesar Ruiz OC Michigan
    pick 114 Colby Parkinson TE Stanford
    pick 179 Jonathan Garvin Edge Miami
    pick 210 Geno Stone SS Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Pick 49 Jabari Zuniga Edge Florida
    Pick 98 Denzel Mims ZWR Baylor
    Pick 99 Lloyd Cushenberry OG/C LSU
    Pick 114 Colby Parkinson TE Stanford
    Pick 179 Geno Stone SS Iowa
    Pick 210 Patrick Taylor Jr RB Memphis

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Admittedly I am not a draft wizard so I don't know specifics on draft prospects. This is mainly based on need
    Pick 49 Bryce Hopkins TE Purdue: Steelers haven't had a reliable TE since Heath Miller retired, at that point Brady had 4 rings, Mahomes was still in college, and Obama was president. It's been a few years
    Pick 98 Denzel Mims WR Baylor: This is an unpopular opinion but it's true, this offense has been garbage since after AB's last down in Pittsburgh. Dating back to week 17 2018 in a must win game against the Bengals backup defense the offense had been awful. Right now they have a couple no. 2s and backup level players. They don't have a number 1 WR, Juju may be a no. 1 at fortnite or whatever but he showed he is not a no. 1 WR in the NFL
    Pick 99 Nick Harris OC Washington: Obviously this team needs o-line help. I would have addressed this earlier but waited based on value of the chart. The Steelers need o-line help in the worst way both free agency and in the draft.
    Pick 114 Raequan Williams DT Michigan State: The Steelers appear determined to keep TJ Watt's sidekick so that means Hargrave may be gone depth may be an issue
    Pick 179 Saahdiq Charles OT LSU: More sorely needed o-line help
    Pick 210 Essang Bassey S Wake Forest: A solid safety not named Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a good idea to have, I think about how awful the defense was prior to his arrival and poor safety play was a big part of it

Questions, why a WR in round two or three? Ju-Ju is going to be a lot better next season, Johnson looks like a quick route runner, Washington is still developing. Cain lead the league in flags per target. He's got speed, height and upside. Ben will be back.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I like this kind of game. So many, many options... but...

49 Jacob Eason, QB, Washington
    98 Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    99 Cesar Ruiz, OG/C, Michigan
    114 Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton
    179 Saahdiq Charles, RT, LSU
    210 Matt Hennessey, OG/C, Utah

Okay... there’s no way some of those guys drop that far, but if they did... Oh, and obviously, I got my two guys first (Eason, Highsmith); so, anything after that was simply icing.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Questions, why a WR in round two or three? Ju-Ju is going to be a lot better next season, Johnson looks like a quick route runner, Washington is still developing. Cain lead the league in flags per target. He's got speed, height and upside. Ben will be back.
    The offense has been mediocre at best since AB's departure. They don't have a no. 1 WR, Juju is not a no. 1 and Washington is good for about 4-5 good plays in a year. Who knows about Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    While I do agree JuJu back healthy and with a healthy Ben is going to be HUGE for this offense, I don't know Johnson yet, and Wash hasn't done anything to make me think he's the answer at "Z". I will admit I only know a few WRs in this draft because WR is not a huge NEED position. However, IMO, Pittman and/or Mims would add that "Z" WR we all thought Martavis could have been. Both of these guys go after the football and win most of the time. That is what we have been told we have with Wash but just haven't seen it. This is Ben's season or bust so a QB doesn't make as much sense here to me. None of these TEs in this class measure up to a rd2 pick, IMO. I'm perfectly fine with IOL depth, safety depth, and edge depth at the #2 pick depending on who's available. I'm pretty much a BPA in rounds 1 and 2, and should one of Pittman or Mims fall to #49pick they will most probably be the BPA option.

i'd rather pick a future staring TE or OC/G or over a WT who will enter camp 4th on the depth. Our WR's were playing with QB's who weren't very good.

There seems to be some depth at TE, and the best Guards and Centers will go around rounds 2-3, so the value matches the need.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

For El-Gonzo...

49 Antoine Winfield, Jr., DB, Minnesota
    210 Shea Patterson, QB, Michigan

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    For El-Gonzo...

210 Shea Patterson, QB, Michigan
    Thanks, but not really a big fan of taking a safety at #49.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Thanks, but not really a big fan of taking a safety at #49.
    Yea, I was mostly just drafting Shea Patterson. There are bigger needs. One could insert “Player X” at #49.

That said, I love me some Winfield. He’s probably my favorite DB in this draft. If Winfield were indeed drafted... one could move Edmunds to Barron’s DB/ILB spot. That would give the Steelers a very nice tandem at the safety position: Winfield & Fitzpatrick. It’s just a thought...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yea, I was mostly just drafting Shea Patterson. There are bigger needs. One could insert “Player X” at #49.

That said, I love me some Winfield. He’s probably my favorite DB in this draft. If Winfield were indeed drafted... one could move Edmunds to Barron’s DB/ILB spot. That would give the Steelers a very nice tandem at the safety position: Winfield & Fitzpatrick. It’s just a thought...
    Yeah, I like Winfield but am not a fan of having 3 starting safeties on the team when the O line is aging, TE is non-existent and the OLB depth is such a question.

I honestly have high hopes for Ulysses Gilbert III, as he is possibly a better cover LB than Devin Bush. If they cant absorb Barron's cap number and he is a casualty, then I am good with Williams, Bush, UGIII and a veteran for depth.

Yeah, I like Winfield but am not a fan of having 3 starting safeties on the team when the O line is aging, TE is non-existent and the OLB depth is such a question.

I honestly have high hopes for Ulysses Gilbert III, as he is possibly a better cover LB than Devin Bush. If they cant absorb Barron's cap number and he is a casualty, then I am good with Williams, Bush, UGIII and a veteran for depth.
    Real world:
    Absolutely. I’m not drafting a safety until after I’ve addressed other needs (OL, TE, OLB).

This “Situation”:
    I have the advantage of knowing who will “be there” in later rounds. Hence, I can get Winfield and still get three O-linemen, a TE, and a pass-rusher.

(Make sense?)

Real world:
    Absolutely. I’m not drafting a safety until after I’ve addressed other needs (OL, TE, OLB).

This “Situation”:
    I have the advantage of knowing who will “be there” in later rounds. Hence, I can get Winfield and still get three O-linemen, a TE, and a pass-rusher.

(Make sense?)
    Sure, but I think they only need 1 O lineman and also to address D line depth. Ruiz replaces Finney, Feiler replaces Foster and Chukks or Banner play RT, with Derwin Gray coming up to the 53.

I think a late round or possibly FA pickup that I like is Jack Driscoll of Auburn. Kind of a Feiler guy to me although more of a lighter OT that could push inside to Guard at 6'5"- 305, but has nice enough feet to play RT.

Another crack at it
    49. Ben Bredsen G Michigan: Highest rated o-line available. Need o-line
    98. Davon Hamilton DT Ohio State: In case Hargrave leaves
    99. Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame: Need our no. 1 TE
    114. Jauan Jennings WR Tennessee: Adds needed height to WR corp
    179. Saahdiq Charles OT LSU: Need multiple OL
    210. Jessie Lemonier EDGE Liberty: Need edge rusher depth

Real world:

This “Situation”:

(Make sense?)
    Situation: We have an all pro, a sub par other starter and no depth.

Real world: Steelers don't have a lot of draft picks

Best guess: Safety is on the shopping list, but not before OL, RB, and TE. A cheap veteran free agent might be brought in.

I like this kind of game. So many, many options... but...

49 Jacob Eason, QB, Washington
    210 Matt Hennessey, OG/C, Utah

Okay... there’s no way some of those guys drop that far, but if they did... Oh, and obviously, I got my two guys first (Eason, Highsmith); so, anything after that was simply icing.
    Not sure if you saw, but both Kiper and Lance Zeirline have Jacob Eason getting drafted in Round 1. McShay still thinks people are over valuing Herbert and Eason. Will be interesting to see.

Also, I think Zeirline has Ruiz in the first round as well. Might be some people looking at his tape and taking into account that he is coming out a year early. Kind of like when Russell Okung declared as a junior and something like 5 OT's were drafted before him, but some thought if he stayed in a year he would be the first OT off the board.

Not sure if you saw, but both Kiper and Lance Zeirline have Jacob Eason getting drafted in Round 1. McShay still thinks people are over valuing Herbert and Eason. Will be interesting to see.

Also, I think Zeirline has Ruiz in the first round as well. Might be some people looking at his tape and taking into account that he is coming out a year early. Kind of like when Russell Okung declared as a junior and something like 5 OT's were drafted before him, but some thought if he stayed in a year he would be the first OT off the board.
    I had not seen that. Thank you. (I’m so busy nowadays, that I spend 25 minutes on here while I do cardio... and rarely look at draft stuff.)

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see where Eason lands. In passing, I heard a talking head say that Eason is more of a R3 risk/reward type who will go in R1 due to his arm. So, to me, that screams Brett Favre. I’d be fine with taking Eason at 49 (if he indeed falls that far).

Projecting how good a player “could” be is difficult for GM’s to do. It’s how we lucked into TJ Watt being available at 30. His potential was “top ten”. Likewise, Ruiz has the potential to be an All Pro.

Coming full circle, Eason’s arm has the potential to be a R1 pick. Let’s see if a GM is bold enough to take that risk.

I had not seen that. Thank you. (I’m so busy nowadays, that I spend 25 minutes on here while I do cardio... and rarely look at draft stuff.)

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see where Eason lands. In passing, I heard a talking head say that Eason is more of a R3 risk/reward type who will go in R1 due to his arm. So, to me, that screams Brett Favre. I’d be fine with taking Eason at 49 (if he indeed falls that far).

Projecting how good a player “could” be is difficult for GM’s to do. It’s how we lucked into TJ Watt being available at 30. His potential was “top ten”. Likewise, Ruiz has the potential to be an All Pro.

Coming full circle, Eason’s arm has the potential to be a R1 pick. Let’s see if a GM is bold enough to take that risk.
    I think one mock has Eason going in the 1st to Tampa Bay and another in the 1st to the Patriots. Will see if he climbs that much in the process.

Pick 49 Jalen Hurts
    Pick 98 James Proche
    Pick 99 Jake Hansen
    Pick 114 Colby Parkinson
    Pick 179 Antonio Gibson
    Pick 210 Jonathan Garvin

These just seem so far off how I would value these players. I can always hope though.

Bumping this.

As much as I’d love Jacob Eason (QB, Washington) at 49, I don’t think he falls that far, and the Steelers do not appear to be looking for a QB (they’re in “win now” mode).

99 Damien Lewis, OG, LSU
    114 Joshua Kelley, RB, UCLA
    210 Shea Patterson, QB, Michigan (for El-G)

49. Jeremy Chinn NB/SS Southern Illinois
    102. Alex Highsmith OLB Charlotte
    124. Jonah Jackson OG/C Ohio State
    135. Benito Jones NT/1T Ole Miss
    198. Lynn Bowden Jr WR Kentucky
    232. Saahdiq Charles OT LSU

I used the Steeler's actual draft positions to get this draft.

I know Chinn went to a smaller school but i really love his combination of size, speed and ability to tackle and cover.

I went upgrade depth at the OLB position. Highsmith has the production and skillset.

Jonah Jackson is a steal in the 4th round and one of my top5 G/C prospects.

Getting Benito Jones at the back end of the 4th round is a perfect pick for those wanting a 1 tech 2 gap NT to compete with McCullers.

Bowden is a tough WR that also played a season at QB, a bit of the Hines Ward/Randal-El type player.

Charles in the 7th would possibly be the steal of this draft 3 years from now. Can play both OT spots and has a very high floor and ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    49. Jeremy Chinn NB/SS Southern Illinois
    102. Alex Highsmith OLB Charlotte
    124. Jonah Jackson OG/C Ohio State
    135. Benito Jones NT/1T Ole Miss
    198. Lynn Bowden Jr WR Kentucky
    232. Saahdiq Charles OT LSU

I used the Steeler's actual draft positions to get this draft.

I know Chinn went to a smaller school but i really love his combination of size, speed and ability to tackle and cover.

I went upgrade depth at the OLB position. Highsmith has the production and skillset.

Jonah Jackson is a steal in the 4th round and one of my top5 G/C prospects.

Getting Benito Jones at the back end of the 4th round is a perfect pick for those wanting a 1 tech 2 gap NT to compete with McCullers.

Bowden is a tough WR that also played a season at QB, a bit of the Hines Ward/Randal-El type player.

Charles in the 7th would possibly be the steal of this draft 3 years from now. Can play both OT spots and has a very high floor and ceiling.
    This mock has Alex Highsmith. It passes the first test.

Interesting safety pick. I’ll have to look into him. But, it’ll take a lot to get me to move off of Antoine Winfield.

I like the OG pick. I haven’t watched much, but I do know that Lewis has a great week at the Senior Bowl. Regardless, Ohio State produces very good O-linemen. I’ll take it.

The NT makes sense.

Good call on Bowden.

Charles is my sleeper/steal pick. His versatility is an asset. Sort of like in the 90s when we had Justin Stryqwerty: he could play both OT and both OG positions... and play them very well.

This mock has Alex Highsmith. It passes the first test.

Interesting safety pick. I’ll have to look into him. But, it’ll take a lot to get me to move off of Antoine Winfield.

I like the OG pick. I haven’t watched much, but I do know that Lewis has a great week at the Senior Bowl. Regardless, Ohio State produces very good O-linemen. I’ll take it.

The NT makes sense.

Good call on Bowden.

Charles is my sleeper/steal pick. His versatility is an asset. Sort of like in the 90s when we had Justin Stryqwerty: he could play both OT and both OG positions... and play them very well.
    On the big board Winfield was listed in the 30s so I couldn't select him at 49 else I probably would have. Highsmith already upgrades OLB depth. Some scouts are saying he needs to build up strength for an NFL bull rush but he already has a good first move and counter move. I went with Jones due to flexibility to play G/C. I would much rather have Cushenberry or Ruiz but neither was an option. The last 3 were mainly BPA at positions of need in that round, IMO. If Charles is there when the Steelers pick in the 6th or 7th I would actually run a victory lap with this pick. I feel that good about his potential.

- - - Updated - - -

Bumping this.

As much as I’d love Jacob Eason (QB, Washington) at 49, I don’t think he falls that far, and the Steelers do not appear to be looking for a QB (they’re in “win now” mode).

99 Damien Lewis, OG, LSU
    114 Joshua Kelley, RB, UCLA
    210 Shea Patterson, QB, Michigan (for El-G)
    I like this draft overall. I'm just not going RB or QB unless the impossible fall happens and it's the no-brainer pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    On the big board Winfield was listed in the 30s so I couldn't select him at 49 else I probably would have. Highsmith already upgrades OLB depth. Some scouts are saying he needs to build up strength for an NFL bull rush but he already has a good first move and counter move. I went with Jones due to flexibility to play G/C. I would much rather have Cushenberry or Ruiz but neither was an option. The last 3 were mainly BPA at positions of need in that round, IMO. If Charles is there when the Steelers pick in the 6th or 7th I would actually run a victory lap with this pick. I feel that good about his potential.

- - - Updated - - -

I like this draft overall. I'm just not going RB or QB unless the impossible fall happens and it's the no-brainer pick.
    Oh, got it. I wasn’t using this board (I had forgotten the theme of this thread). I was going by where most mock drafts have Winfield going (35-55).

Kelley fulfills my requirement as an alum of the University of California. In fact, Kelley attended both UC Davis and UCLA... so, maybe this will give me two year’s worth of fulfillment.