Thread: 49ers' Emmanuel Sanders says he'd 'love' to rejoin Steelers, calls bridge with Ben Roethlisberger 'burnt'

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

49ers' Emmanuel Sanders says he'd 'love' to rejoin Steelers, calls bridge with Ben Roethlisberger 'burnt'

Emmanuel Sanders was just beginning to celebrate his third trip to the Super Bowl when a former teammate decided to join him on the celebration.

On the field following the 49ers' win over the Packers in the NFC Championship Game, Sanders was joined by veteran NFL receiver Mike Wallace, who spent three seasons as Sanders' teammate with the Steelers from 2010-12. Sanders, during a recent interview with Ed Bouchette of The Athletic, said that the two former teammates spent time reminiscing about their time with the Steelers while adding that Sanders, Wallace and former Pittsburgh wideout Antonio Brown could have been "the best Steelers (receiving) corps ever assembled."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/4...sberger-burnt/

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: 49ers' Emmanuel Sanders says he'd 'love' to rejoin Steelers, calls bridge with Ben Roethlisberger 'burnt'

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Emmanuel Sanders was just beginning to celebrate his third trip to the Super Bowl when a former teammate decided to join him on the celebration.

On the field following the 49ers' win over the Packers in the NFC Championship Game, Sanders was joined by veteran NFL receiver Mike Wallace, who spent three seasons as Sanders' teammate with the Steelers from 2010-12. Sanders, during a recent interview with Ed Bouchette of The Athletic, said that the two former teammates spent time reminiscing about their time with the Steelers while adding that Sanders, Wallace and former Pittsburgh wideout Antonio Brown could have been "the best Steelers (receiving) corps ever assembled."

LOL - still trashing Ben but candidly admitting if playing with him is what it takes to get the best contract Sanders is all in

It’s a business not a brotherhood

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: 49ers' Emmanuel Sanders says he'd 'love' to rejoin Steelers, calls bridge with Ben Roethlisberger 'burnt'

If they had the money, he’d be perfect to sign as a compliment to Diontae and JuJu. I’m not sure they really “need” him though at the price he would be asking.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If they had the money, he’d be perfect to sign as a compliment to Diontae and JuJu. I’m not sure they really “need” him though at the price he would be asking.
    He’s gonna be 33 next year. His big contract days are over.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    LOL - still trashing Ben but candidly admitting if playing with him is what it takes to get the best contract Sanders is all in

It’s a business not a brotherhood
    Since FA, It has always been so.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Sanders, during a recent interview with Ed Bouchette of The Athletic, said that the two former teammates spent time reminiscing about their time with the Steelers while adding that Sanders, Wallace and former Pittsburgh wideout Antonio Brown could have been "the best Steelers (receiving) corps ever assembled."

Could have not. Nobody had better hands or made more acrobatic catches than Lynn Swann. John Stallworth had equally good hands, but was more workmanlike as a WR. They were also real teammates and proud champions who won 4 SBs and never lost.

Looking back, the only contemporary WR who did not implode was Sanders. The other 2 really screwed up. Also add Santonio Holmes and Martavis with honorable mention to Bell who also caught a lot of balls.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

steelers could use some receiving help. It's either that or bank on diontae Johnson breaks out into a star receiver next year

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

1. Dude never once stepped up when he was in a Steelers uniform, despite plenty of chances to do so.

2. Dude has never passed up an opportunity to take a gratuitous potshot at Roethlisberger since he's been gone.

3. Dude will be 33 next year.

Hard pass.

And just one more reason to pull for the Chiefs on Sunday.

I disagree with him not stepping up. He was pretty clutch and made some nice catches from what I remember no matter if it was Ben, Byron or Batch throwing him the ball. He also had a knack for getting open when Ben scrambled. That’s not always an easy task. He was pretty solid in his short time and at one point, a lot of people thought he was the one that should get paid. In turn they gave that money to AB and just shows the team knows what they are doing sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He’s gonna be 33 next year. His big contract days are over.
    What do you think his asking price would/should be? If it was reasonable, the next question I would ask would be: could that money that you would pay Sanders be used to get Hunter Henry as a TE?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I disagree with him not stepping up. He was pretty clutch and made some nice catches from what I remember no matter if it was Ben, Byron or Batch throwing him the ball. He also had a knack for getting open when Ben scrambled. That’s not always an easy task. He was pretty solid in his short time and at one point, a lot of people thought he was the one that should get paid. In turn they gave that money to AB and just shows the team knows what they are doing sometimes.
    Agreed about Sanders being a productive WR with the Steelers. The Pats tried to sign Sanders in his restricted free agent season in 2013 before he left in free agency in 2014.

Ben Roethlisberger got his wish, as the Pittsburgh Steelers reportedly matched the New England Patriots' offer sheet for Emmanuel Sanders.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...manuel-sanders

In the full paywalled interview with Bouchette in The Athletic Sanders is candid that he wanted to be the #1 WR in order to get #1 WR $$$ and that was not going to happen in Pittsburgh. Steelers made the correct choice that was in their best interests by going with AB and so did Sanders by going to Denver.

“Yeah, they offered me a deal,” Sanders said, “like three years, $9 million, $1 million guaranteed, and I turned around and made three years, $15 million, $6 million guaranteed and won a Super Bowl.

“One thing about Mike Tomlin, he kept it real with me. He said we don’t really have the money to pay me. I said cool. I didn’t take it personally because I wanted to be out of there anyway. It had nothing to do with the Pittsburgh organization. I was just ready to go someplace else and try to be the guy because when I was playing with AB, I was happy for AB, but at the same time, AB was breaking the (Steelers’) single-season reception record. It was like 18 targets to my two targets (per game). I was like, I have to get out of here. I wasn’t hating on him, I just had to go, you know.”

https://theathletic.com/1559787/2020...rger-steelers/

Current players (with the exception of AB who was in the process of losing what was left of his sanity) may praise Tomlin since they have to play for him. Noteworthy that Sanders, who is not bashful about trashing people, speaks well of Tomlin.

But no question Sanders has a chippy attitude

"If I had went to New England, I probably would've been a Hall of Famer," he said with a smile. "I probably would've been a Hall of Famer. That was, what, my third year in the league? Tom (Brady) would've had, what, seven more years left? How many Super Bowls have they won from then?

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...famer-patriots

If rings mattered more to you than $$ you had the choice to sign with the Pats - you went for the $$$.

You buy the ticket you take the ride.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

No thanks on a MS reunion. That ship has sailed and Manny himself said that that bridge was burnt. He was a good player and to be honest I wish we could have found a way keep him, but with AB breaking out and Wallace with a fresh contract, plus the fact that Manny wanted top money; it just wasn't gonna happen.

I also like the young guys we have right now and really wouldn't want to upset their development.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Sanders woulda been a hall of famer if he played for Brady? GTFOH, he had Peyton Manning. He would be a pro bowl player in NE but he's seriously delusional if he thinks he'd sniff the HOF.

AB was what you'd call a HOF caliber player and Sanders, while he was good, was simply not on that level. He wasn't even the #1 guy in Denver. A hall of fame receiver would be the WR1 anywhere he went.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I'll pass on Sanders too many potshots at Ben like mentioned above plus at 33. I get that a vet receiver would be a good thing but, still I will pass.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Sanders only way he gets to the HoF is if he was Col. Sanders which he ain't.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Question: Take emotion out of it. Take money out of it. Would Sanders be an asset and/or an upgrade to the Steelers WR corps?

I don't know that the answer is a hard enough YES to even worry about him. He wouldn't come here as the sure #1 on next season's roster. I wouldn't HATE adding Sanders this offseason as far as what he would bring at the WR position, but I'm not the least bit fired up about it either. Does he play ST?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Question: Take emotion out of it. Take money out of it. Would Sanders be an asset and/or an upgrade to the Steelers WR corps?

I don't know that the answer is a hard enough YES to even worry about him. He wouldn't come here as the sure #1 on next season's roster. I wouldn't HATE adding Sanders this offseason as far as what he would bring at the WR position, but I'm not the least bit fired up about it either. Does he play ST?
    I think he makes them better. A ton better? Probably not but better. But then I also thought Moncrief would as well...lol. Sanders wouldn’t play STs as Washington and Johnson would be the token WRs for that.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think he makes them better. A ton better? Probably not but better. But then I also thought Moncrief would as well...lol. Sanders wouldn’t play STs as Washington and Johnson would be the token WRs for that.
    That's about how I see it. Is there a need for a middle of the field weapon? I honestly don't know. Was the lack of production there due to QB's being afraid to throw in the middle, injuries to the middle weapons already on the team, or a lack of a middle weapon? I'm of the opinion Ben fixes a lot of that plus getting JuJu back healthy fixes a lot as well.

Sanders is not going to Pittsburgh and he knows it

Saying he understands the QB there is not as much of a jackass as he used to be was Sanders taking a free shot in what may be his last big media week while knowing it is not going to cost him a potential contract for saying it

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Sanders is not going to Pittsburgh and he knows it

Saying he understands the QB there is not as much of a jackass as he used to be was Sanders taking a free shot in what may be his last big media week while knowing it is not going to cost him a potential contract for saying it
    nailed it.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Sure, the Steelers always draft guys, then let them move on for more money and bring them back after as aging veterans with declining skill.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

REPORTERS: Hey, Joey!!! How many times are you going to sack Patrick?

SANDERS: Look at me.

REPORTERS: Richard, if Patrick escapes the pocket, what is your gameplan?... will you hit him like you did Lamar?

SANDERS: I said... Look at me!!!

REPORTERS: Deebo, you’re named after the character in Friday. If you score a TD, will you give Red back his bike?

SANDERS: Ben sux!!!

REPORTERS: Emmanuel...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    REPORTERS: Hey, Joey!!! How many times are you going to sack Patrick?

SANDERS: Look at me.

REPORTERS: Richard, if Patrick escapes the pocket, what is your gameplan?... will you hit him like you did Lamar?

SANDERS: I said... Look at me!!!

REPORTERS: Deebo, you’re named after the character in Friday. If you score a TD, will you give Red back his bike?

SANDERS: Ben sux!!!

REPORTERS: Emmanuel...

Pretty much!

Ooo ooo.....look at me!!!