Thread: Ranking head coaching hires 2020

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ranking head coaching hires 2020

Assuming there isn't any new late firings, I am going to rank the 5 head coaching hires from best to worst. Like last year I did not like most of the head coaching hires made and grades are overall pretty low

1. Kevin Stefanski-Browns. I am going to disregard the Browns FO idiotic plans to take control of the gameplan and grade this based solely on the impression of the head coach himself. I like these kind of hires, younger, coordinators with success as an assistant. 1 year as OC is a downer but he helped get the best out of Kirk Cousins this year. He also has had many years as position coaches for the Vikings and has had success coaching up different positions. Inexperience as OC brings this down but overall I like the hire. Grade: B.

2. Matt Rhule-Panthers. There are things I like and things I don't like. First of all, hiring a college coach, especially one with little experience in the NFL at any level is a risk. It remains yet to see what kind of buy-in Rhule will get. That being said, I am impressed with the turnarounds he orchestrated. He helped turnaround Temple then quickly turned around Baylor rocked by scandal and had a 1-11 team on the brink of the Big 12 title in 2 years. The fact that he got the most out of what was likely less skilled athletes and lower star recruits is another good sign. Still though lack of NFL experience tempers my grade and prevents this from being no. 1. Grade B-

3. Ron Rivera-Redskins. Now we get to the hirings I didn't like. I don't like retread hires. Few retread hires actually turn successful. The positive of Ron Rivera is that he turned the worst team in the NFL into a Super Bowl participant in 5 years, however, the downside of his tenure goes as follows: never had back-back winning seasons, 3 winning seasons in 9 years, 4 playoff appearances (one going 7-8-1), 3 playoff wins, 1 winning season the last 4 years, epic late season collapses the last 2 years. He was too inconsistent in Carolina and Washington now wants him to run things. Grade: D.

4. Mike McCarthy-Dallas. I guess Jerry boy only knows Mike McCarthy's tenure without Aaron Rodgers from his team blowing a 23 point lead to Matt Flynn late in 2013 and is oblivious to the rest of McCarthy's tenure sans Aaron Rodgers which consisted of watching the team turn into dog crap. Mike McCarthy relied on Aaron Rodgers to bail him out year after year and was completely and utterly clueless when Rodgers went down. He wasted most of Rodgers' career by failing to get much of anything out of a supporting cast. Let's not forget he also had the tail end of Favre's Green Bay career, the best years of Charles Woodson and a pro bowler in Clay Matthews and still he only mustered one Super Bowl win. And somehow Jerry Jones thinks he will deliver for Dallas. Silly Jerry. Grade F

5. Joe Judge-N.Y Giants. It's amazing. We have 15 years of evidence to suggest that Bellichick coordinators almost always fail as head coaches (it's so bad Bill F-ing O Brien is the best Bellichick Coordinator turned head coach) and yet these teams keep going to New England to search for their next head coach. I don't understand it, I really don't. Joe Judge seems like a younger Pat Shurmur. Unfortunately not much surprised coming from a once proud franchise who continues to be one of the most poorly run in the NFL. Grade F

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Ranking head coaching hires 2020

"1. Kevin Stefanski-Browns"

I can't drink that Kool-Aid. Every Browns' offseason move that looks good always ends badly. This won't be an exception.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    "1. Kevin Stefanski-Browns"

I can't drink that Kool-Aid. Every Browns' offseason move that looks good always ends badly. This won't be an exception.
    posters who want Tomlin fired should look at that list of coaches and ask themselves if they would prefer any of them over who we already have.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    posters who want Tomlin fired should look at that list of coaches and ask themselves if they would prefer any of them over who we already have.
    Ex Browns coaches? Maybe just Belichick.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

True.... but who knew then?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    True.... but who knew then?
    Bobby Kraft and the New York Jets?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler