Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Eli Manning will announce retirement Friday

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Report: Eli Manning will announce retirement Friday

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Has there been a QB in recent memory that has sparked as much HOF debate as Eli? I can't think of one. I'd say he gets in after 4-5 years based on being a compiler of stats along with two Super Bowl MVPs.
    I guess the SB stuff puts him in. But the HOF is going to have to seriously contend with the issue of raw stats. Otherwise, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, Matt Stafford, and Matt Ryan need to be let in as well. Those guys are going to finish in the same realm as Eli just (most likely) without the SB stuff.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I guess the SB stuff puts him in. But the HOF is going to have to seriously contend with the issue of raw stats. Otherwise, Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco, Matt Stafford, and Matt Ryan need to be let in as well. Those guys are going to finish in the same realm as Eli just (most likely) without the SB stuff.
    It's just evolution. This is not our grandfather's NFL. Honestly, some of the QBs from the 70's who are in are questionable as well (e.g., Joe Namath). At least it's not as lame as the NBA HOF.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It's just evolution. This is not our grandfather's NFL. Honestly, some of the QBs from the 70's who are in are questionable as well (e.g., Joe Namath). At least it's not as lame as the NBA HOF.
    Good points. I really don't care either way about Eli. Personally, I wouldn't vote for him. But I also wouldn't be shocked or surprised if he gets in.

The evolution of the game point is fascinating to me. How should leagues/sports deal with that? 35 thousand passing yards used to be impressive. Now, not really. For awhile, 1000 yard rushing seasons were growing on trees. Now, not so much (again). So what are HOF's to do with all these stats? Especially as players are having longer and healthier careers?

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

I don't buy it. Doesn't mean you aren't right -- just I can easily tell the story of the NFL without Eli Manning. He has two defense focused SB runs. That's it. The rest of his career is a study in mediocrity.

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-eli-mann...005406042.html
    "Manning will finish his career as a .500 quarterback with a 116-116 record. Aside from the two Super Bowl runs, the Giants never won another playoff game during Manning’s 15-season tenure as starter."

"The junior Manning is a zero-time All-Pro and three-time NFL interception champion with a career quarterback rating (84.2) on par with Joe Flacco (84.1)."

"But his name is Manning. He played a long time for one of the NFL’s glamour franchises in the nation’s biggest market. And his Giants twice defeated the greatest villain in NFL history.
    These are all standalone accomplishments that are rightfully celebrated. But just because a story is a good one and an integral part of the NFL fabric, it doesn’t make it Hall worthy."

Eli Manning's career is essentially a version of Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton or Alex Smith. Only he did it in New York for a long time and with a famous last name. If his name was Eli Jones and he played in Tampa we wouldn't be talking about this because he would've been benched 3 seasons ago at least. He struggled with accuracy throughout his career. He, outside of two games, rarely made his team better in the biggest moments.

Put it this way, if you could magically have any QB from the last 2 decades in their prime to start your own NFL franchise -- how many guys would you list before Eli's name came up? I came up with 10 or 12.
    Preamble:
    Names listed here are not ME personally yes I'm typing them but I'm also using logic on the vast majority and what the media would say
    Brady
    Brees
    Ben
    Rodgers - I can't resist but still overrated lol
    Wilson
    Newton - Injury prone but he'd still get picked
    Peyton
    Luck - again injury prone
    Matt Ryan - blah
    Rivers - sure if you DON'T want to make the playoffs regularly and NOT sniff a Super Bowl lol
    Romo? - I liked him personally but just flopped
    Maybe a few outliers:
    Jay Cutler?
    Zach Mettenberger?
    Aaron Brooks?
    Tim Rattay?

That last crop is PRIMO! haha

- - - Updated - - -

Good points. I really don't care either way about Eli. Personally, I wouldn't vote for him. But I also wouldn't be shocked or surprised if he gets in.

The evolution of the game point is fascinating to me. How should leagues/sports deal with that? 35 thousand passing yards used to be impressive. Now, not really. For awhile, 1000 yard rushing seasons were growing on trees. Now, not so much (again). So what are HOF's to do with all these stats? Especially as players are having longer and healthier careers?
    Should be based on the ERA as they've all been different and unique.
    Still the greatest season by a QB in NFL history is Marino in '84
    LT for a RB in 2006

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    Preamble:
    Names listed here are not ME personally yes I'm typing them but I'm also using logic on the vast majority and what the media would say
    Brady
    Brees
    Ben
    Rodgers - I can't resist but still overrated lol
    Wilson
    Newton - Injury prone but he'd still get picked
    Peyton
    Luck - again injury prone
    Matt Ryan - blah
    Rivers - sure if you DON'T want to make the playoffs regularly and NOT sniff a Super Bowl lol
    Romo? - I liked him personally but just flopped
    Maybe a few outliers:
    Jay Cutler?
    Zach Mettenberger?
    Aaron Brooks?
    Tim Rattay?

That last crop is PRIMO! haha

- - - Updated - - -

Should be based on the ERA as they've all been different and unique.
    Still the greatest season by a QB in NFL history is Marino in '84
    LT for a RB in 2006
    All of these guys started games in the last 20 years that I would RATHER have to start an imaginary NFL franchise than Eli:

Favre
    Peyton
    Brady
    Brees
    Roethlisberger
    Rodgers
    Luck
    Wilson
    Mahomes
    Watson
    Wentz
    Rivers
    Ryan

Then there is a clump of guys like Eli, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, McNabb, Stafford, etc that you can make arguments for.

I mean that is 12-15 guys I can rattle off that I would put under center before Eli. In just his era.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Eli gets into the HoF because of his 2 SB wins and MVPs plus doing it for a NY team adding to that over the "Legacy" edition Patriots multiplied by the name Manning. He's in.

Also consider that winning a SuperBowl carries it's own weight. Winning SuperBowl MVP carries weight(twice). He's in.

Let the debate continue forever. He's in.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don't buy it. Doesn't mean you aren't right -- just I can easily tell the story of the NFL without Eli Manning. He has two defense focused SB runs. That's it. The rest of his career is a study in mediocrity.

https://sports.yahoo.com/no-eli-mann...005406042.html
    "Manning will finish his career as a .500 quarterback with a 116-116 record. Aside from the two Super Bowl runs, the Giants never won another playoff game during Manning’s 15-season tenure as starter."

"The junior Manning is a zero-time All-Pro and three-time NFL interception champion with a career quarterback rating (84.2) on par with Joe Flacco (84.1)."

"But his name is Manning. He played a long time for one of the NFL’s glamour franchises in the nation’s biggest market. And his Giants twice defeated the greatest villain in NFL history.
    These are all standalone accomplishments that are rightfully celebrated. But just because a story is a good one and an integral part of the NFL fabric, it doesn’t make it Hall worthy."

Eli Manning's career is essentially a version of Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton or Alex Smith. Only he did it in New York for a long time and with a famous last name. If his name was Eli Jones and he played in Tampa we wouldn't be talking about this because he would've been benched 3 seasons ago at least. He struggled with accuracy throughout his career. He, outside of two games, rarely made his team better in the biggest moments.

Put it this way, if you could magically have any QB from the last 2 decades in their prime to start your own NFL franchise -- how many guys would you list before Eli's name came up? I came up with 10 or 12.
    Eli was a big factor in getting to and winning those Super Bowls. The personnel that was on the 2008 and 2012 defenses were almost totally different players. The one consistent on those rosters was Eli. He definitely gets short changed when it comes to those playoff runs.

As far as telling the story of the NFL, it can’t be told without Eli and the Giants beating the 18-0 Patriots. Not only one time but he beat Brady twice. I guess you could tell the story without that part but it’s be a big omission.

Two decades is a pretty big time period. But I’d most likely take the guys with the most passing yardage, TDs, Super Bowls. Eli would be on the list, probably towards the bottom but that doesn’t mean he’s not Hall of Fame and it doesn’t mean the guy below or above him on that list isn’t HOF worthy. I mean if Bob Griese and Joe Namath are in there, Eli deserves to be in...easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

All of these guys started games in the last 20 years that I would RATHER have to start an imaginary NFL franchise than Eli:

Favre
    Peyton
    Brady
    Brees
    Roethlisberger
    Rodgers
    Wilson
    Mahomes
    Watson
    Ryan
    That’s about all I would take over Eli. Seven of which I’d easily put into the Hall of Fame and the remainder pending or debatable IMO.

So is Roethlisberger not a Hall of Famer because there may be 5,6,7 players you’d take over him to start a franchise?

Report: Eli Manning will announce retirement Friday

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s about all I would take over Eli. Seven of which I’d easily put into the Hall of Fame and the remainder pending or debatable IMO.

So is Roethlisberger not a Hall of Famer because there may be 5,6,7 players you’d take over him to start a franchise?
    Ben gets in because he can and was viewed as one of the top 5-6 at his position during much of his career.

I wouldn't put Eli in the top 10 at any point.

One of his two signature plays was a horrible throw that gets picked or dropped 9/10 times.

I'm sure I just have a blindspot on this. But I just think Eli kinda sucks. He has big numbers because he started an incredible amount of games.

He's a .500 QB.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

With regard to stats inflation, the NYT article to which I linked yesterday said around 6-8 HOF QBs have been playing at any one time - that metric takes into account how Bart Starr and Bob Griese are HOF QBs while Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford will not be

Unless the argument is the QB position is more important now due to it being a pass first league and more QBs from the current pass happy era should be in Canton, that is a good way to address why borderline candidates such as Eli (a .500 QB with two rings) and Rivers (a 55% winning record with no Super Bowl appearances) are not automatic admissions despite their passing stats

Ben gets in because he can and was viewed as one of the top 5-6 at his position during much of his career.

One of his two signature plays was a horrible throw that gets picked or dropped 9/10 times.

I'm sure I just have a blindspot on this. But I just think Eli kinda sucks. He has big numbers because he started an incredible amount of games.

He's a .500 QB.
    He totally turned out to be a .500 QB and he did it with some shitty teams. Never really had a good team with eat receivers. I mean OBJ was probably the best he had, but at a time where the Giants were trash for the most part.

I get where your coming from and I’m not saying you are wrong, I just view this as a whole and who is in and who isn’t and based on that, I think Eli gets in.

Let’s ask this question though: If you could spend a first round pick on a guy knowing that he’s gonna have the exact same results as Eli when Ben retires versus an unknown, would you take the known results?

He totally turned out to be a .500 QB and he did it with some shitty teams. Never really had a good team with eat receivers. I mean OBJ was probably the best he had, but at a time where the Giants were trash for the most part.

I get where your coming from and I’m not saying you are wrong, I just view this as a whole and who is in and who isn’t and based on that, I think Eli gets in.

Let’s ask this question though: If you could spend a first round pick on a guy knowing that he’s gonna have the exact same results as Eli when Ben retires versus an unknown, would you take the known results?
    Tough question. But I'd take the unknown. I honestly think if Elii wasn't named "Manning" but, say "Flacco" or "Smith" or "Dalton", he would've been replaced 3-5 years ago.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

He's a .500 QB.
    Welcome to an opinion debate. Eli played on a .500 team, he was not a .500 QB. Think about how hard it is to just get to the SB. How hard is it to win the SB. How hard to win MVP of the SB. How hard to beat the Patriots in the SB. Eli did that TWICE! What makes Eli ELIgible to me is the way his successes were earned. Everyone remembers the helmet catch yet gloss over the fact that Eli had to Houdini out of a sure sack situation, reposition and reset just to make that throw. Opinion debate conclusion, I think Eli will be a first ballot HoFer.

Tough question. But I'd take the unknown. I honestly think if Elii wasn't named "Manning" but, say "Flacco" or "Smith" or "Dalton", he would've been replaced 3-5 years ago.
    You may very well be right that Eli should have retired a couple years ago. That doesn't negate his deserving to be in the Hall, IMO. Stats may be similar to Flacco but he was no "Moonball Joe". And I believe if you replace Dalton with Manning the Bengals are a very different story over the last 16 years. And Alex Smith could not have done what Eli did no matter how long he played. Anyway, fun debate.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Welcome to an opinion debate. Eli played on a .500 team, he was not a .500 QB. Think about how hard it is to just get to the SB. How hard is it to win the SB. How hard to win MVP of the SB. How hard to beat the Patriots in the SB. Eli did that TWICE! What makes Eli ELIgible to me is the way his successes were earned. Everyone remembers the helmet catch yet gloss over the fact that Eli had to Houdini out of a sure sack situation, reposition and reset just to make that throw. Opinion debate conclusion, I think Eli will be a first ballot HoFer.
    Jim Plunkett is a .500 QB with two rings on a Raiders team that stomped a 1983 Washington team that going into that Super Bowl was the defending Super Bowl champ and being discussed as one of the great teams of all time. Not a chance Plunkett gets in.

As far as not being a .500 QB but playing on a .500 team, your record is what it is

The years of mediocrity after the 2 Lombardis cannot be discounted - cannot claim credit for winning when it was a team effort but deflect blame for the losing

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Jim Plunkett is a .500 QB with two rings on a Raiders team that stomped a 1983 Washington team that going into that Super Bowl was the defending Super Bowl champ and being discussed as one of the great teams of all time. Not a chance Plunkett gets in.

As far as not being a .500 QB but playing on a .500 team, your record is what it is

The years of mediocrity after the 2 Lombardis cannot be discounted - cannot claim credit for winning when it was a team effort but deflect blame for the losing
    Not comparing Eli to Plunkett. Eli will get in because of what Eli did himself, in addition to being a Manning. IF Eli does not get in his 1st year of eligibility I will be shocked. Lots of ex-players with similar stats out there. Some are in and some are not. The voters have a lot to do with that. They will vote Eli in.

If he retired three years ago, his record would be 108-91 and he’d still be around 11-12 in all-time passing. Is a .543 record coupled with 2 SBs and 2 MVPs in those games enough to get him in then?

I’m not sure the Mara’s replace him even with his name not being Manning. They’re pretty loyal...very similar to the Rooney’s.

Not comparing Eli to Plunkett. Eli will get in because of what Eli did himself, in addition to being a Manning. IF Eli does not get in his 1st year of eligibility I will be shocked. Lots of ex-players with similar stats out there. Some are in and some are not. The voters have a lot to do with that. They will vote Eli in.
    I agree he will get in.

Eli is not undeserving but the HOF voting process is often a popularity contest and in part contingent on who got publicity during and after their careers (see, e.g., the two coaches voted in as part of the Centennial Class over other worthy candidates being on pregame shows since they retired, which kept them in the public eye and allowed the NFL to have two nice photo ops during the playoffs broadcasts)

Eli gets into the HoF because of his 2 SB wins and MVPs plus doing it for a NY team adding to that over the "Legacy" edition Patriots multiplied by the name Manning. He's in.

Also consider that winning a SuperBowl carries it's own weight. Winning SuperBowl MVP carries weight(twice). He's in.

Let the debate continue forever. He's in.
    I disagree on the name, Manning. In fact, I think that will be a hurdle rather than a boost. He's going to be weighed against his brother and his father, and if he doesn't come close to measuring up, it's gone to be difficult for him to get in. I think the fact that he made it to two SBs and beat the Pats* in both, one of which with two throws in the last seconds of the game will be what seals the deal for him.

You all raise some really good points. I do think Eli will get in. Personally, I'm just kinda of the belief that it should be incredibly difficult to get into the Hall. For instance, I wouldn't put Hines Ward in.

You all raise some really good points. I do think Eli will get in. Personally, I'm just kinda of the belief that it should be incredibly difficult to get into the Hall. For instance, I wouldn't put Hines Ward in.
    I agree with you on the difficulty aspect. It’s why I don’t think players like Joe Namath, Bob Griese, Terrell Davis, etc. don’t belong. But if those guys can get in, then Eli and Hines Ward should get in. I think it will take a lot of time but I think Hines gets in at some point. Again, based on the fact of the previous members and their accomplishments.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I’m not sure I would put Swann in. He had some beautiful catches, but Ward was the bigger work horse. Hell they had a rule named after him. I’m not disagreeing with you, just saying how by “ generation “ the votes go. Faneca should have been in from the start. Best pulling guard.....maybe ever. But that’s just me.

Obviously Swann is already in....ya’ll know what I meant.

You may very well be right that Eli should have retired a couple years ago. That doesn't negate his deserving to be in the Hall, IMO. Stats may be similar to Flacco but he was no "Moonball Joe". And I believe if you replace Dalton with Manning the Bengals are a very different story over the last 16 years. And Alex Smith could not have done what Eli did no matter how long he played. Anyway, fun debate.
    You had an earlier post about Eli's record so I'm only taking the 2004 class along with their current numbers as they stand

Eli:
    Regular season he was 117-117
    Playoffs 8-4 BUT 1 and done 4 times
    2 Super Bowls

Numbers wise:
    Yards - 57,023
    TDs - 366
    Picks - 244
    Career Completion % - 60.3

Rivers:
    Reg Season - 123-101
    Playoffs - 5-6

Numbers:
    Yards - 59, 271
    TDs - 397
    Picks - 198
    Completion % - 64.7

Ben:
    Reg Season - 144-71-1
    Playoffs - 13-8
    2 Super Bowls and ripped off on an MVP in XLIII

Numbers:
    Yards - 56,545
    TDs - 363
    Picks - 191
    Completion % - 64.3

Anyway I used the bare bones unless people want more haha
    Based on what I know and have seen
    Ben is a LOCK
    Eli is debatable yet I think he will get in purely on his name and the 2 magical runs
    Rivers should never make it. Sure numbers are great but most have been during some rather bad years and no deep playoff runs.

Ben was one and done 4 times in the playoffs as well. Had more victories/losses in playoffs though.

Ben was one and done 4 times in the playoffs as well. Had more victories/losses in playoffs though.
    He's also been to the playoffs far more...his record speaks to that.

Might have been doing it for the Giants

Here’s something I didn’t know: Ben Roethlisberger’s name was actually on the Giants’ draft card on April 24, 2004, as the team hit the clock with the fourth pick coming up.

I did know Roethlisberger was going to be the pick if the Giants couldn’t get Ole Miss QB Eli Manning, as has been widely discussed over the last 16 years. But I wasn’t aware it was that close to actually going down. And it was right on the edge of happening that afternoon because, as the Cardinals took Larry Fitzgerald at three and the Giants’ turn came, the Chargers, who took Manning first overall, had gone totally radio silent on then New York GM Ernie Accorsi....

Earlier in the week, then Chargers GM A.J. Smith promised Accorsi that he’d call him the day before the draft. Despite rumblings that Manning wanted no part of San Diego, Friday came and went without a call. So Accorsi figured it was over. He was moving forward. But he’d at least leave the door open, so instead of just turning the card in as the clock started, as the Giants routinely had in the past, he chose to wait....

“He called me and asked for Osi again, and we said no,” Accorsi said on Saturday afternoon. “Then he said, ‘Would you give me next year’s No. 1?’ Well, we’d already talked about that, and decided we’d be willing to do it. I said yes, and we both called into [NFL exec] Joel Bussert. He had to get both of us on the phone at the same time, he literally had a phone on each ear, and the clock was running out.”

With under a minute to go, Bussert said the magic words to both GMs: We have a trade.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/27/su...i-manning-mmqb

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersNorth View Post
    You had an earlier post about Eli's record so I'm only taking the 2004 class along with their current numbers as they stand

Eli:
    Regular season he was 117-117
    Playoffs 8-4 BUT 1 and done 4 times
    2 Super Bowls

Numbers wise:
    Yards - 57,023
    TDs - 366
    Picks - 244
    Career Completion % - 60.3

Rivers:
    Reg Season - 123-101
    Playoffs - 5-6

Numbers:
    Yards - 59, 271
    TDs - 397
    Picks - 198
    Completion % - 64.7

Ben:
    Reg Season - 144-71-1
    Playoffs - 13-8
    2 Super Bowls and ripped off on an MVP in XLIII

Numbers:
    Yards - 56,545
    TDs - 363
    Picks - 191
    Completion % - 64.3

Anyway I used the bare bones unless people want more haha
    Based on what I know and have seen
    Ben is a LOCK
    Eli is debatable yet I think he will get in purely on his name and the 2 magical runs
    Rivers should never make it. Sure numbers are great but most have been during some rather bad years and no deep playoff runs.

Andy Dalton:

Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs, you kiddin me? PLAYOFFS!!??? I Just hope we can win a game!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

That's what I like to call Aaron Rodgers Syndrome.
    Give all the credit in the world to him or X QB and then when they lose...oh ummm hmmmm ummmm yyyeeeaaahhhhh who do we blame now?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Athletes always thank god for winning, but never blame him for losing. I'm still waiting for that to happen cause it'd be funny as hell

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Athletes always thank god for winning, but never blame him for losing. I'm still waiting for that to happen cause it'd be funny as hell
    I think that kid from Buffalo, Steven Johnson, blamed God one time because he dropped a game winning TD.