Thread: Senior bowl measurements

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Senior bowl measurements

Senior bowl measurements

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/20...ement-results/

I'll have eyes on the QB's, TE's, OG/C , NT/DT's and S

The practices are very good and can be viewed on NFL network

Last year 93 players were drafted from the Senior Bowl, so there is a good chance one or two of the players in this game will be Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Senior bowl measurements

Thanks for the link. They are just putting the practice recaps on NFLN this year and not the daily sessions. That sucks.

That being said, I was cruising TE talent and really like the looks of Brycen Hopkins of Purdue and Adam Trautman of Dayton at TE so far. I want to see Pinkney and DeGuara at TE some as well this week.

QB's Justin Herbert and Jordan Love will go in the first round and this is a week where Jaylen Hurts, Steve Montez and Shea Patterson can try and make a case for themselves. Lots of WR's as well this year, but I think with JuJu, Washington, Johnson...they have a decent group to start with already.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Lots of buzz about Harrison Bryant at the first day of the Senior Bowl. Tall receiving TE that some think should go in the top 40 picks.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Lots of buzz about Harrison Bryant at the first day of the Senior Bowl. Tall receiving TE that some think should go in the top 40 picks.

Not a bad arm and footwork on that QB either.

Chris Robison is a redshirt sophmore that transferred from Oklahoma. Was investigated last summer for domestic battery and previously was suspended for charges of public intoxication. His skills will have to be really good to make the NFL at that rate...I mean almost Tyreek Hill level.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Chris Robison is a redshirt sophmore that transferred from Oklahoma. Was investigated last summer for domestic battery and previously was suspended for charges of public intoxication. His skills will have to be really good to make the NFL at that rate...I mean almost Tyreek Hill level.
    I was unaware of any of that. He does have skills though. Too bad he's throwing it all away.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So working on the assumption that Hargrave is as good as gone...what NT's should be of interest for Steelers fans?

I assume Gallimore is just too good of a prospect to realistically expect to be around the latter half of the second round. But who might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So working on the assumption that Hargrave is as good as gone...what NT's should be of interest for Steelers fans?

I assume Gallimore is just too good of a prospect to realistically expect to be around the latter half of the second round. But who might be?
    I really don't expect the Steelers to spend a 2nd round pick on a NT. But then I really don't know if they want a NT, since Hargrave is really a 1 gap DT and at only 305 he isn't the classic space eater like Casey Hampton was. I really liked what McTelvin Agim from Arkansas did at the Shrine game and he is 6'3"- 305. He might be a 4th round guy or better IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I really don't expect the Steelers to spend a 2nd round pick on a NT. But then I really don't know if they want a NT, since Hargrave is really a 1 gap DT and at only 305 he isn't the classic space eater like Casey Hampton was. I really liked what McTelvin Agim from Arkansas did at the Shrine game and he is 6'3"- 305. He might be a 4th round guy or better IMO.

I'm okay with spending a 2nd round pick on a Nose Tackle, if he can stay on the field in 3-4, 4-3, nickel and dime defensive alignments, meaning he can push the pocket and rush the passer.

Hargrave was better than average as a pass rusher, but only average vs. the run. Sometimes he was pushed out of his gap too easily. Hargrave played less than 60% of the snaps on defense.

We need a NT/DT type who can play the 0, 1, and 3. I'm not sure if that type of player lasts until our pick in round two. I do like Bento Jones a lot. On a bad team in the SEC he made a lot of plays for an interior defensive lineman. Most mock drafts don't see him as a 2nd or 3 round pick, if he works out well, I suspect he'll skyrocket. I think he'd be a good option for our projected third-round comp pick as Hargrave is going to get paid. Let him walk and pick a DT/NT to push Big Dan, and Buggs, who showed a little as a rookie but not enough. Hargrave could get a decent deal, meaning we have a chance at a comp pick...best guess round 5-6.

The way our defense is set up, I'd be okay with an average pass rusher at NT/DT as long as he's extra strong vs. the run. We have 5 really good pass rushers. ( Watt, Dupree, Hargrave, Tuitt, and Bush ). Our ILB's are not Levon Kirkland. We have Bush, and a speedy undersized guy that needs a big man on the defensive line in the middle to keep the offensive lineman from dominating him. Bush can make a lot of plays, but he has to be protected, as he is not a shed and tackle type.

I suspect the NFL will remind a passing league, but will start running the ball a bit more in a traditional sense than it has in the past to years.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess I was thinking more of a DT in the Hargrave mold. Not so much of a classic NT.

Although Six Rings makes a pretty solid case for going in that direction.

But you both point out that round 2 is a bit aggressive for that position/role in the Steelers system.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

We essentially switched to a 2-5 defense. Replace Hargrave with Tuitt... voila! instant upgrade. Buggs looked very good for a rookie. He & Alualu are good primary backups.

No thanks to anyone compared to Tyreek Hill.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I'm a big fan of Neville Gallimore the DT from Oklahoma. He's very similar to Hargrave. 6'2" 304 lbs, very quick player. I'm not sure he'll be there at #49.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/20...lle-gallimore/

Davon Hamilton from Ohio State screams future Steelers to me
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/20...avon-hamilton/

Leki Fotu from Utah is a true classic NT, projected to go anywhere from rounds 3 through 5, though I could see him falling into round 6 due to his lack of pass rushing abilty.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/20...-dt-leki-fotu/
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 01-23-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Thanks, I was gonna look more at Gallimore on the Senior Bowl footage. Last night both he an Agim were lined up beside each other in 11 on 11 session and Agim looked to be quicker off the snap and have heavier hands. I'll look more closely at them and Hamilton.

Either way, I think if the Steelers get a 3rd round comp, they can address TE and DT from the guys at the Senior bowl with their first 2 picks and be pleased.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Denzel Mims from Baylor stock has been rising, this WR class is insane.

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Thanks B&G, I think there are a lot of good TE's in the draft, but not any Hockensen or Noah Fant types. But there are a few guys including Adam Trautman at Mobile that I like. Here is kind of what I saw:

-Harrison Bryant, TE
    , Florida Atlantic. Looks like a big WR that moved into TE. Great route runner, great hands, big target at 6'5" but slightly smaller frame and lower body could make him suspect in the blocking game, although showed to be a willing blocker. I think he looks like a Round 2 pick.

Adam Trautman TE, Dayton. At 6'5" and approx 250 he runs well, gets in and out of breaks well, gets vertical and finds seams. Look at the Denzel Mims video above and he is the TE that is open underneath and you can see his athletecism. Also showed solid blocking skills in the 11-11 sessions. I think he is the most complete TE at Mobile. I think he goes in the 2nd unless somebody falls in love with his skills.

-Brycen Hopkins TE Purdue. shorter than Trautman at 6'3.5", but similar frame, he showed good combination of speed and route running and hands. Son of former O lineman Brad Hopkins, the kid doesn't shy away from blocking in the run game. I think he is a round 3 type pick unless somebody needs a TE, so he could go from 2-4 IMO.

-Stephen Sullivan TE LSU. A converted WR, he is a big target that got caught behind Moss on the roster and LSU wasn't running a lot of 2 TE sets. He showed ability to get vertical, great hands, smooth athlete and a willing blocker. To me he didn't look great at getting lateral in running out cuts or sitting in zones on curls, so needs some work. Definitely a receiving TE, but maybe a limited route tree right now. I think he is there in the 5th.

-Jared Pinkney TE Vandy. Had a great 2018, but production was down this season in terms of receiving. A bit more stock of an athlete, doesn't seem to have the twitchy athleticism of the guys noted above, but as a complete TE he should rank ahead of Sullivan IMO. Good receiver, good blocker, but might be more of a Jerame Tuman type guy that is a good all around TE, but isn't going to beat Safetys in coverage IMO.

-Josiah DeGuara, TE Cincinatti. A guy that looks a bit like Pinkney in terms of build and not as twitchy of an athlete, but all he did at Cinci was get open all season. Was the 2nd leading receiver for the Bearcats. Watching him play TE to me is like watching Matakevich play ILB. He is all hustle, effort, finding holes in the zone and using his route running ability to get an edge. Not the best athlete on the field but a guy that gets things done. I think he is R5-7 guy and a #2 or #3 guy in the room.

McKeon from Michigan is good as well, but I think these 6 guys all rank above him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Denzel Mims from Baylor stock has been rising, this WR class is insane.

On the catch by Denzel Mims, look at the TE in the Red Helmet get off the LOS and get downfield. Trautman.

Thanks B&G, I think there are a lot of good TE's in the draft, but not any Hockensen or Noah Fant types. But there are a few guys including Adam Trautman at Mobile that I like. Here is kind of what I saw:

-Harrison Bryant, TE
    , Florida Atlantic. Looks like a big WR that moved into TE. Great route runner, great hands, big target at 6'5" but slightly smaller frame and lower body could make him suspect in the blocking game, although showed to be a willing blocker. I think he looks like a Round 2 pick.

Adam Trautman TE, Dayton. At 6'5" and approx 250 he runs well, gets in and out of breaks well, gets vertical and finds seams. Look at the Denzel Mims video above and he is the TE that is open underneath and you can see his athletecism. Also showed solid blocking skills in the 11-11 sessions. I think he is the most complete TE at Mobile. I think he goes in the 2nd unless somebody falls in love with his skills.

-Brycen Hopkins TE Purdue. shorter than Trautman at 6'3.5", but similar frame, he showed good combination of speed and route running and hands. Son of former O lineman Brad Hopkins, the kid doesn't shy away from blocking in the run game. I think he is a round 3 type pick unless somebody needs a TE, so he could go from 2-4 IMO.

-Stephen Sullivan TE LSU. A converted WR, he is a big target that got caught behind Moss on the roster and LSU wasn't running a lot of 2 TE sets. He showed ability to get vertical, great hands, smooth athlete and a willing blocker. To me he didn't look great at getting lateral in running out cuts or sitting in zones on curls, so needs some work. Definitely a receiving TE, but maybe a limited route tree right now. I think he is there in the 5th.

-Jared Pinkney TE Vandy. Had a great 2018, but production was down this season in terms of receiving. A bit more stock of an athlete, doesn't seem to have the twitchy athleticism of the guys noted above, but as a complete TE he should rank ahead of Sullivan IMO. Good receiver, good blocker, but might be more of a Jerame Tuman type guy that is a good all around TE, but isn't going to beat Safetys in coverage IMO.

-Josiah DeGuara, TE Cincinatti. A guy that looks a bit like Pinkney in terms of build and not as twitchy of an athlete, but all he did at Cinci was get open all season. Was the 2nd leading receiver for the Bearcats. Watching him play TE to me is like watching Matakevich play ILB. He is all hustle, effort, finding holes in the zone and using his route running ability to get an edge. Not the best athlete on the field but a guy that gets things done. I think he is R5-7 guy and a #2 or #3 guy in the room.

McKeon from Michigan is good as well, but I think these 6 guys all rank above him.

- - - Updated - - -

On the catch by Denzel Mims, look at the TE in the Red Helmet get off the LOS and get downfield. Trautman.

Shoes may finally get his wish with a tight end being selected early, hopefully he can contain his excitement if so lol.

I did not even see Trautman in the Mims tweet, good eye. Can't wait to watch him this weekend.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m looking at O-line. Give me one of the LSU interior guys. Heck, give me both.

Damien Lewis, LG
    Lloyd Cushenberry III, OC

For those coveting a RB, my annual “UC” underdog is Joshua Kelly. He went to UCLA and UC Davis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyZId7w33DQ

Not sure how much play Antonio Gibson will get in the senior Bowl game but I wanted to bring him into the conversation. I posted his highlights from the College Gameday vs SMU broadcast. Gibson made these type of explosive plays all season but this game had a bit of all of what he can do. He's listed as a WR on most boards but as you can see he lines up out wide, in the slot, in the backfield, and returns kickoffs. He had 3 TDs in this particular game of 50+ yards each. 1 pass catching, 1 taking the handoff, and 1 as a returner.
    6'-2" and 223lbs.

2019 rushing stats 33 rushes in 9 games(3.7 rushes per game), 369 yards with 4 TDs, that's an 11.2 yard average(only 33 carries).
    2019 receiving stats 38 receptions in 9 games for 735 yards with 8 TDs. 19.3 yards per reception.
    2019 return stats 23 returns in 9 games for 645 yards with 1TD, 28 yards per return average.

Put a pin in this name is all I'm saying.

Bradlee Anae, EDGE from Utah has been fantastic. He has caused havoc pressuring Hurts.

Josh Uche from Michigan looks great also, he's so damn quick around the corner. Not sure he's an every down player due to his run defense but he can be productive getting after the passer.