Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Super Bowl 54 (Niners v. Chiefs) Thread

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Super Bowl 54 (Niners v. Chiefs) Thread

The game was much closer than the 31-20 score indicates. It felt like 24-20. Here’s a few reasons that the Niners lost:

-At the end of the first half, the Niners could have had the ball with about 1:40 left (after using one of their three time outs). Instead, the Niners bleed the clock down to 0:20... and then they started to try to move the ball downfield. Seriously, what were they thinking!?! That was plenty of time to get a FG (which would have been huge later).

-On the Niners’ FG drive in the third quarter, Manny Sanders gets held by the arm. No DPI. It would have been first down at about the 20. Instead, it’s a FG. That 4 points would be huuuge.

-On the flip side, the Niners DB got called for a DPI on third down. It was a shitty throw that hit him in the butt. How is a DB supposed to play that!?! Really. Instead of a FG, it became first-&-goal from the one. That 4 points was huuuuuge!!!

-Garappolo got hit in the facemask three times. Not one “roughing the passer” call.

-Earier in the game (I’m not sure when), Garappolo throws the ball behind Manny Sanders. Sanders has to slow down/reach back. It’s still a big gain, but if Garappolo leads Sanders, it’s a TD.

-On the final drive, Garappolo overthrows Sanders. That TD would have given the Niners the lead with about 1:30 left in the game.

SUMMATION:
    The Niners lost because of the trifecta: bad coaching decision(s), the refs, and poor QB play.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I could watch Shakira shake her ass for !the whole game...lol.
    I swear at one point you could see JLO's birth canal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    He did have the pass rush in his face almost the entire game until they went in hurry up mode. I thought he played a good game, not great but obviously good enough to get the W

the refs kinda botched some calls, Jimmy G took a helmet shot and no personal foul was called, I was shocked. one call the SF offense snapped the ball nearly 2-3 seconds after the play clock was at zero. and another play where a KC defender was clearly offsides and nothing called
    As Fan76 said on the replay you can tell the KC guy just timed it perfectly (i.e. Troy jumping over the LOS perfect). There were bad calls both ways. I saw a couple of hands to the face on Mahomes as well that were let go. I think the crew did a good job of letting them play.

I'm glad they called Kittle for pushing off. I'm so sick of the offense getting away with that for years and years. That's one new rule change I love. Michael Irving wouldn't be in the hall of fame if they called that back when he played.

As far as Jimmy G, he had Sanders wide open right after KC scored an missed him badly. As someone said in one of the post game shows, "you have to make that throw in the Superbowl".

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Another Super Bowl 4th quarter masterpiece from Kyle Shanahan

Shanahan and the 49ers have an offensive identity of their own, based on the run game. And yet after Mahomes was intercepted with 12 minutes to play in the fourth quarter and San Francisco leading, 20-10, the 49ers ran the ball only five more times, gaining 32 yards. They attempted to pass it 12 times in that span. Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo completed just three of his last 11 attempts and was intercepted once; another pass play ended in a sack.

In those two Super Bowls, Shanahan’s offenses have now been outscored 46-0 in the fourth quarter and overtime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...per-bowl-lead/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

A fantastic game.

Mahomes is on his way to being an all time great, won't be shocking if he is in the GOAT conversation within 10 years.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Kicked FGs instead of TDs. Combine that with the clear indications that Shannahan had zero interest in his QB making plays and the result isn't surprising.

They are paying a guy they don't trust in big moments $25 million.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    A fantastic game.

Mahomes is on his way to being an all time great, won't be shocking if he is in the GOAT conversation within 10 years.
    he will be, the kid is unbelievable.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Kicked FGs instead of TDs. Combine that with the clear indications that Shannahan had zero interest in his QB making plays and the result isn't surprising.

They are paying a guy they don't trust in big moments $25 million.
    Overpaying for someone if they have been a member of the supporting cast in New England applies to backup QBs as well as assistants who failed as head coaches

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I really think the up-tempo offense could have been used earlier. The pass rush was in Mahomes' face all game, but as soon as they made a few first downs in the hurry-up offense, the SF pass rush started to tire. At one point Bosa had to take himself off the field cause he was sucking wind. That's when KC's offense started to have their way. Either way, they got the W but man, like teegre said the game was a lot closer than the score says.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

LOL, wrong but so funny.

Notice the score in the game as well ...

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I'm happy with KC's win. I've never liked SF anyway (can't say why, I just don't like them) and Andy Reid really deserves it, and it is important for his legacy not to become the second Marty Schottenheimer, who was a great regular season coach but never managed success in the playoffs.

But in my mind it was an uphill battle for SF to begin with because winning the SB without an elite QB is difficult - and Jimmy G just isn't elite. Maybe he can be elite, but right now, he's more the Kirk Cousins type.