Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl 54 (Niners v. Chiefs) Thread

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Super Bowl 54 (Niners v. Chiefs) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    No thanks keep them at 5 please, plus as others have said I like Andy Reid and hope he gets his first ring. The dude lost a son to a drug overdose and has put his time in.

As for the game both teams will score but when it comes down to it which QB would you want in the crunch? Mahomes or Jimmy G? Mahomes will win that battle and as good as the 49ers defense is the Chiefs have too many weapons to shut down. The game plan for the Chiefs should be simple. Stack the box and force Jimmy G to throw. We all saw what he did against our team at home when he was pressured. 5+ turnovers.
    I didn’t know that about Reid. And, I used to like Reid; my best friend in college is an Eagles fan. Buuuut, TeeTee turned me against Reid.

I’d take Mahomes against ANY quarterback. But, I’ll take that rock-solid D-line over Mahomes.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I didn’t know that about Reid. And, I used to like Reid; my best friend in college is an Eagles fan. Buuuut, TeeTee turned me against Reid.

I’d take Mahomes against ANY quarterback. But, I’ll take that rock-solid D-line over Mahomes.
    That's going to be the exciting match up. Mahomes versus the Niners front seven.

Can't wait.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That's going to be the exciting match up. Mahomes versus the Niners front seven.

Can't wait.
    Indeed. That is the matchup.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Good to see Mahomes has respect for the other Chiefs QB who played in a Super Bowl

Len Dawson smoked his way through the first Super Bowl. The photos are priceless.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Training and conditioning practices of NFL players back in the day were less than optimal
    Pretty much, football wasn't glamorous or a high-paying job before, it was just a bunch of dudes who wanted to play.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The closer we get to SB Sunday the more I have started to lean toward rooting for the Chiefs. I don't dislike this 49ers team nor am I smitten by this Chiefs team. I don't have a reason. I just find myself gravitating to pulling for the Chiefs.

I would give the Chiefs the advantage on offense and the 49ers the advantage on defense. I think most fans see it that way too. As good as the 49ers D is though, Garoppolo has turned the ball over 18 times this season. If Mahomes gets extra possessions it may not matter how good that defense is. Turnovers and penalties lose more games than anything else.

In the final game of the Steelers’ regular season, the Steelers defense hit the opposing QB on every play. Every. Single. Play. It was an interesting gameplan, because if the opposing QB is going to run the ball, the defense can treat him like a RB.

Well... the Niners have flat-out stated that every time that Mahomes runs the ball, they are going to hit him.

Chiefs fans are outraged, but the Niners aren’t doing anything wrong. They’re just trying to limit one of Mahomes’s weapons: his legs.

SUMMATION:
    As stated earlier, this game will come down to Mahomes versus the Niners’ front seven.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

In the final game of the Steelers’ regular season, the Steelers defense hit the opposing QB on every play. Every. Single. Play. It was an interesting gameplan, because if the opposing QB is going to run the ball, the defense can treat him like a RB.

Well... the Niners have flat-out stated that every time that Mahomes runs the ball, they are going to hit him.

Chiefs fans are outraged, but the Niners aren’t doing anything wrong. They’re just trying to limit one of Mahomes’s weapons: his legs.

SUMMATION:
    As stated earlier, this game will come down to Mahomes versus the Niners’ front seven.
    While that is a good interesting strategy the Steelers lost that game 28-10. I really expect a good game for the SB. But if Garoppolo turns the ball over Mahomes and co will score on an extra possession or 2. Even FGs could mean more the way this game shapes up. No TOs maybe the advantage does go to the 49ers D. Gonna be a fun one to watch this year.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Good to see Mahomes has respect for the other Chiefs QB who played in a Super Bowl

Len Dawson smoked his way through the first Super Bowl. The photos are priceless.

Not to mention smoking back then certainly wasn't the social no-no that it is today.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

SUMMATION:
    Well injuring Mahomes is one of the ways to stop the Chiefs. They looked like the best team in the league until he got banged up. Then when he got healthy again they went on a tear. SF does know they have to get to him if they want to win. As good as their defense is, I think Mahomes will shred them if he has time to throw.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Kansas City wins. Both have awesome QBs, but I think the Chiefs have a better all around team......offense and defense and that's going to be the difference.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I would rather see KC win and, Andy Reid is a good coach. Mahomes is a special talent and, the WR's are explosive as well. Kelce might be the best TE in the NFL but, the Niners look pretty tough as well.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Kansas City wins. Both have awesome QBs, but I think the Chiefs have a better all around team......offense and defense and that's going to be the difference.
    KC fell behind 24-0 to the Texans, that worries me.

I'll side with the 49ers and the points...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Hunt said being a father has been good for Hill.

"We've seen Tyreek with his son here over the last couple of years," Hunt said. "I think to a person, people in the organization would tell you that he's an outstanding father."
    You know... other than breaking his arm...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    well yeah, except for that small detail...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

People get worked up about the silliest things......like breaking a child's arm.

There has to be a special place in hell for anyone that would hurt a child.

He's still got more to do if he wants to win the Adrian Peterson "Father of the Year" award

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    People get worked up about the silliest things......like breaking a child's arm.

Well he was selected to play in the Pro Bowl, which is Satan's idea of a football game

The Chiefs owner becoming a gushing fanboy while discussing Hill is yet another example of my favorite sound bite from a Super Bowl winning team's locker room

Same game plan the Niners implemented in the Ravens game when they limited the future of football to 20 points while Harbaugh bitched about it

[Richard] Sherman said Harbaugh claimed he hit Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson late on a play in the third quarter. But the 49ers’ veteran corner said Jackson’s running ability put him in a difficult spot and that he didn’t intend to make any unnecessary hits.

“The quarterback was running like a running back,” Sherman said. “If you don’t touch him, then he runs up the sideline, and if you do touch him, it’s like everyone is throwing up the hubbub.”

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-r...mores-win.html

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

6 weeks it’ll be as good as new and maybe stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    While that is a good interesting strategy the Steelers lost that game 28-10. I really expect a good game for the SB. But if Garoppolo turns the ball over Mahomes and co will score on an extra possession or 2. Even FGs could mean more the way this game shapes up. No TOs maybe the advantage does go to the 49ers D. Gonna be a fun one to watch this year.
    There was a series of three plays in a row where we gave up a TD, gave up a safety, and then, gave up a TD. It was a 16 point swing. Until then, we trailed by about a FG. If we had a QB who wasn’t prone to turning the ball over (I don’t even want him to score) it’s a totally different ballgame.

Plus, during that three-play/three-score fiasco, the Titans had simultaneously gone up by 14 (or was it 21? )... and you could see the wind leave our sails.

One final thought: down by 3, Devin Bush drops a sure-thing pick-six that would have given us the lead. I wonder how different the game would have been had we gone up by 4... as opposed to suddenly falling behind by 16.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Well injuring Mahomes is one of the ways to stop the Chiefs. They looked like the best team in the league until he got banged up. Then when he got healthy again they went on a tear. SF does know they have to get to him if they want to win. As good as their defense is, I think Mahomes will shred them if he has time to throw.
    To be clear, I am not saying they should attempt to injure Mahomes.

I am saying they should hit him like a RB when he runs, because it will likely keep him from running as much. Making Mahomes think about those hits might eliminate his propensity to run... which is a lot of what Mahomes does to extend plays.

- - - Updated - - -

Same game plan the Niners implemented in the Ravens game when they limited the future of football to 20 points while Harbaugh bitched about it

[Richard] Sherman said Harbaugh claimed he hit Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson late on a play in the third quarter. But the 49ers’ veteran corner said Jackson’s running ability put him in a difficult spot and that he didn’t intend to make any unnecessary hits.

“The quarterback was running like a running back,” Sherman said. “If you don’t touch him, then he runs up the sideline, and if you do touch him, it’s like everyone is throwing up the hubbub.”

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-r...mores-win.html
    Exactly

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

This is the Superbowl, at this point there is no next week so I don't think the Niners are going to hit Mahomes and keep him from running. Think Elway selling his old body out for yardage.

And Mahomes doesn't need to run for yardage. If he rolls out (like Russell Wilson) and buys time to throw as long as he's behind the LOS he can't be hit like a RB. What QB gave the Niners the most fits this year? Russell Wilson. The Seahawks were a 1/2 yard away from sweeping the Niners this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    This is the Superbowl, at this point there is no next week so I don't think the Niners are going to hit Mahomes and keep him from running. Think Elway selling his old body out for yardage.

And Mahomes doesn't need to run for yardage. If he rolls out (like Russell Wilson) and buys time to throw as long as he's behind the LOS he can't be hit like a RB. What QB gave the Niners the most fits this year? Russell Wilson. The Seahawks were a 1/2 yard away from sweeping the Niners this season.
    Those are some excellent points.

I guess that when I saw Mahomes run for a few first downs (against the Titans), the Titans defenders eased up as Mahomes ran out of bounds. Those were back-breakers, because the secondary had done a good job of covering AND the pass rush had flushed Mahomes out of the pocket... only to give up a long run/first down.

I expect that if Mahomes runs, he will be hit. Every time.

Those are some excellent points.

I guess that when I saw Mahomes run for a few first downs (against the Titans), the Titans defenders eased up as Mahomes ran out of bounds. Those were back-breakers, because the secondary had done a good job of covering AND the pass rush had flushed Mahomes out of the pocket... only to give up a long run/first down.

I expect that if Mahomes runs, he will be hit. Every time.
    Maybe a no win situation. Mahomes is the new golden boy, you can guarantee if he gets hit near the sideline that's an automatic 15 yard flag right there

Might end up like the 49ers-Miami Super Bowl (not a blowout like that game but a 49ers win) where the unstoppable Dolphins passing offense in Marino's second year met its match against the more complete team.

Three of the Chiefs’ highest-scoring games this season came against defenses ranked 23rd or worse. Two of their three lowest-scoring games came against defenses ranked in the top 10. The 49ers’ defense is the fifth best at limiting points scored per drive. It’s that excellence on both sides of the ball that should give San Francisco the edge.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-49ers-chiefs/

The game and rules changes may now be to the point where a great passing offense simply overwhelms everything - I hope not. I like Mahomes but like a sport that does not skew too heavily in favor of defense (70s until the late 70s rules changes) or offense (now) even more.

Might end up like the 49ers-Miami Super Bowl (not a blowout like that game but a 49ers win) where the unstoppable Dolphins passing offense in Marino's second year met its match against the more complete team.

Three of the Chiefs’ highest-scoring games this season came against defenses ranked 23rd or worse. Two of their three lowest-scoring games came against defenses ranked in the top 10. The 49ers’ defense is the fifth best at limiting points scored per drive. It’s that excellence on both sides of the ball that should give San Francisco the edge.

The game and rules changes may now be to the point where a great passing offense simply overwhelms everything - I hope not. I like Mahomes but like a sport that does not skew too heavily in favor of defense (70s until the late 70s rules changes) or offense (now) even more.
    It's different this time. Garrappolo is no Montana. I think he's a good QB, but Montana was great.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Wow, I just thought of the SB XIX comparison. Great minds think alike LOL

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    It's different this time. Garrappolo is no Montana. I think he's a good QB, but Montana was great.
    Which is why that game was a 38-16 blowout - I certainly am not expecting a repeat of that

If the Niners have to score in the mid-30s to win I agree Jimmy G will not get it done

Niners defense needs to keep Mahomes in the 20s, which IMO is difficult but not impossible

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

I think Kanas City will win by 10 points or more. San Fran's margin of error is thin. In the Super Bowl, the greater QB by clear majority wins almost every time, barring a Defense and Great running game for the other team.