Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: early 2020 Mock

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

early 2020 Mock

Jake Fromm

, QB
    • Georgia

Albert Okwuegbunam
      , TE
    • Missouri

Marlon Davidson
      , EDGE
    • Auburn

Antonio Gibson
      , RB
    • Memphis

Jacob Breeland
      , TE
      Oregon
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: early 2020 Mock

I don't see Albert Whatzamacallit lasting past round 2

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Antonio Gibson...shhh... don't tell everyone about him.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I don't see Albert Whatzamacallit lasting past round 2
    You are probably right, but I think if he gets a combine invite that will impact a lot. He looks to lumber in his running and has good build up speed, but I'm not sure if he can run shorter routes and create separation. The guy could run a 4.6 in the 40, but have a lousy vertical and 3 cone drill because he doesn't look quick on tape.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    You are probably right, but I think if he gets a combine invite that will impact a lot. He looks to lumber in his running and has good build up speed, but I'm not sure if he can run shorter routes and create separation. The guy could run a 4.6 in the 40, but have a lousy vertical and 3 cone drill because he doesn't look quick on tape.
    coupled with " mock draft sims " you take the best guy you can find on the board and try and fill a need while doing so ...

he was there so I took him

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    coupled with " mock draft sims " you take the best guy you can find on the board and try and fill a need while doing so ...

he was there so I took him
    Ah, I get it. I think he is gonna be boom or bust. All his receptions on his highlight videos look like vertical routes where he out ran a LB or Safety, but nothing in the way of hooks, curls, outs, slants, etc. Might be a lot tougher for him to be productive in the NFL and there are also concerns that he doesn't have a big interest for the game. He is an intelligent kid that might be more interested in Med School than football some have said. I think its a case of a lot of draftniks having love for his stats, but don't know the whole story. Kiper has him as his #6 TE prospect.

Ah, I get it. I think he is gonna be boom or bust. All his receptions on his highlight videos look like vertical routes where he out ran a LB or Safety, but nothing in the way of hooks, curls, outs, slants, etc. Might be a lot tougher for him to be productive in the NFL and there are also concerns that he doesn't have a big interest for the game. He is an intelligent kid that might be more interested in Med School than football some have said. I think its a case of a lot of draftniks having love for his stats, but don't know the whole story. Kiper has him as his #6 TE prospect.

I have heard some rumblings but you just never know for sure what is true ... hence if you noticed I hedged my bet late with Jacob Breeland

Jalen Hurts
      , QB
    • Oklahoma

Cheyenne O'Grady
      , TE
    • Arkansas

Marlon Davidson put him behind Cam and let him learn to be his heir apparent has those sort of tools and size
      , EDGE
    • Auburn

Patrick Taylor Jr. all he does is produce
      , RB
    • Memphis

Trevis Gipson OLB we need help in this area with depth and this kid may have that something special that can be nurtured into a future starter
      , EDGE
      Tulsa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’d be so disappointed if they drafted Hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I’d be so disappointed if they drafted Hurts.
    In the 4th round or later maybe.

I could see it happening , I mean as it stands they have to feel like that got Ben and a room full of guys that might be able to get them to 8-8 with incredible play by the defense ... maybe they send something back to Jacksonville and try and get Dobbs back IDK but I do not see them standing pat headed into 2020 ....

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Mocked at Fanspeak.com

49: R2P17
    G JOHN SIMPSON
    CLEMSON

102: R3P38
    TE ADAM TRAUTMAN
    DAYTON

121: R4P18
    RB CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE
    LSU

132: R4P29
    WR CHASE CLAYPOOL
    NOTRE DAME

198: R6P19
    DL LEKI FOTU
    UTAH

232: R7P18
    CB STANFORD SAMUELS III
    FLORIDA STATE

via walk the mock ....

Pick Player Pos College
    2:17 Jake Fromm QB Georgia
    4:5 Ben Bredeson G Michigan
    4:18 Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame
    6:19 Oluwole Betiku Jr EDGE Illinois
    7:18 Josh Metellus SS Michigan

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Fanspeak:

WR DENZEL MIMS
    TE ALBERT OKWUEGBUNAM
    S JEREMY CHINN
    CNICK HARRIS
    DL BENITO JONES
    EDGE BRYCE HUFF

Paid a premium for size and speed with the opening pick. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if that was seriously disagreed with. Just think that getting a player like Mims on the field, changes the shape of the defense to a degree that no one on the current roster does. Makes everyone else at WR's job easier. I suspect that Mims would not have a second round statistical impact in 2020, but he would buoy the stats of every other WR.

I am on record of not liking this TE class. But at the end of the 3rd round? C'mon, even I am not that stubborn.

The next pick I take a chance on SPARQ guy to play in dime packages and be safety depth.

Needed an interior lineman. Passed on the bigger names in the class to get speed with the first 3 picks. So I took a shot with this pick.

Not the most exciting DL pick, but does he really need to be? Just needs to be able to keep the quick and light LBs and safeties I see roaming behind him clean. Since he is the size of a building, shouldn't be that hard.

Last pick, address edge. Do not know a great deal about this kid, but what I have read indicates there is a good base to work with. Callback to the days when the Steelers drafted DE/OLB 'tweeners late in the draft than had them terrorizing QBs two years later. Can they do it again? TBD. But why not take a chance?

TheDraftNetwork mock draft sim

49 Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama ( quality zone corner )

102 Albert Okwuegbunam, TE Missouri ( my favorite TE in draft )

124 Alton Robinson, EDGE Syracuse ( this kid could become something special )

135 Ben Bredeson, IOL Michigan ( has athleticism to pull )

198 Mike Panasiuk, IDL Michigan State ( Fire plug )

232 Salvon Ahmed, RB Washington ( Willie Parker 2.0 )

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

49. Jonah Jackson C/G OSU. Going with the belief teams are built inside out. Several IOL prospects fit this pick here. Jackson was the best available IMO.

102. Brandon Jones SS Texas. Got a strong tackler and zone coverage safety help for the defensive secondary.

124. Josiah Deguara TE Cincinnati. In-line blocker, runs good routes, good hands in the pass game. Steelers get their TE.

135. Quintez Cephus WR Wisconsin. Steelers 2nd pick in the 4th round gets them one of the better WRs in this class.

198. Trevon Hill OLB Miami. Under-sized edge defender with excellent pass rush skills. Will need time to fill out his frame and get stronger.

232. Jaron Bryant CB Fresno State. Immediate ST player and developmental CB with excellent tackling and ball skills.

I used the Draft Network sim also.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I used the Draft Network sim also.

what sucks about their sim is I have to paste it in notepad before recopying it to put here or I get those HUGE steeler logos and the pic and pos and school are all on different line... or am I doing something wrong ?

I just had 2 windows up. When I made a selection I switched to the SU window and typed in my pick.

Ran the Draft Network sim again. This time I looked more at quality depth behind current starters that also fit the Steelers mold.

49. Julien Okwara Edge ND. My favorite edge prospect in this draft.

102. Ben Bredesen OG Michigan. Not the flexible IOL I would prefer but an excellent OG prospect.

124. Quartney Davis WR Texas A&M. Think bigger version of Diontae Johnson. Great route runner with excellent hands and catch radius.

135. Josiah Deguara TE Cincinnati. This guy has moved up considerably on my most likable TEs list.

198. Mohamed Barry ILB Nebraska. Not quite Devin Bush 2.0 but a true sideline to sideline ILB with plus cover and tackling skills.

232. John Runyan OT Michigan. Since I did not get my position flexible IOL earlier I pair up a couple Michigan OL that have played together and therefore can compliment each other day 1. It's all about building from the inside out.

2:17 Jalen Reagor WR Texas Christian: BPA at position of need, and they need a true no. 1 WR

3:38 Thaddeus Moss TE LSU: Ben needs help, and let's stop kidding ourselves into thinking Vance is a true no. 1 TE

4:18 Kevin Dotson G Louisiana: We need O-line help

4:29 Nick Coe DL Auburn: Their determination to keep Bud Dupree will likely cause Hargrave to leave. With that in mind they need more D-line depth

6:19 Damar Hamlin SS Pittsburgh: Need safety depth. There is a steep drop-off after Minkah Fitzpatrick and he goes down, the secondary is likely getting torched again.

7:18 Malcolm Perry RB Navy: Some added RB depth in case Connor goes down. Not buying they need a new starter though in round 2

Ran the Draft Network sim again. This time I looked more at quality depth behind current starters that also fit the Steelers mold.

49. Julien Okwara Edge ND. My favorite edge prospect in this draft.

102. Ben Bredesen OG Michigan. Not the flexible IOL I would prefer but an excellent OG prospect.

124. Quartney Davis WR Texas A&M. Think bigger version of Diontae Johnson. Great route runner with excellent hands and catch radius.

135. Josiah Deguara TE Cincinnati. This guy has moved up considerably on my most likable TEs list.

198. Mohamed Barry ILB Nebraska. Not quite Devin Bush 2.0 but a true sideline to sideline ILB with plus cover and tackling skills.

232. John Runyan OT Michigan. Since I did not get my position flexible IOL earlier I pair up a couple Michigan OL that have played together and therefore can compliment each other day 1. It's all about building from the inside out.
    Not too bad if it pans out this way, but I would like to see some D line drafted. Runyan is going to move inside to guard at the NFL and Bredesen is kind of the phone booth mauler that isn't that adept in space, so not sure if drafting a guard and a backup guard is the best plan of action.

DeGuara is a guy that is easy to like in that he is all hustle, effort, toughness and seems to find places to sit down in zones for catches well. At 6'2", 242 LBS and short arms, not the size of a true TE and many project him as an H-back in the NFL.

Not too bad if it pans out this way, but I would like to see some D line drafted. Runyan is going to move inside to guard at the NFL and Bredesen is kind of the phone booth mauler that isn't that adept in space, so not sure if drafting a guard and a backup guard is the best plan of action.

DeGuara is a guy that is easy to like in that he is all hustle, effort, toughness and seems to find places to sit down in zones for catches well. At 6'2", 242 LBS and short arms, not the size of a true TE and many project him as an H-back in the NFL.
    I did not realize Runyun was to move to OG. However that makes him T/G flexible in 3 years hopefully like Feiler. But you are correct in drafting competing OGs is not helpful right now. My hope is for a OC/OG at 49 from this draft. I listed several I think could be special in the prospects thread.

What do you think of the Okwara pick? Especially now the tag has been used on Bud and Chickillo is cut? Have you looked closely at Jonathan Garvin (or Trevon Hill UDFA) of Miami as a late round prospect?

There are a few DL I would be happy to see at 49 or 102 also. I posted about some of them in the prospects thread.

Deguara also ran a 4.72/40 with a 7.15-3cone and 25 reps on the bench. Not putting too much emphasis on the combine but it does show great work ethic in the weight room and beyond. Plus I have to fall back on my original assessment that there just aren't any 'complete' TEs in this draft anyway. And this guy does block well and catch well.

I did not realize Runyun was to move to OG. However that makes him T/G flexible in 3 years hopefully like Feiler. But you are correct in drafting competing OGs is not helpful right now. My hope is for a OC/OG at 49 from this draft. I listed several I think could be special in the prospects thread.

What do you think of the Okwara pick? Especially now the tag has been used on Bud and Chickillo is cut? Have you looked closely at Jonathan Garvin (or Trevon Hill UDFA) of Miami as a late round prospect?

There are a few DL I would be happy to see at 49 or 102 also. I posted about some of them in the prospects thread.

Deguara also ran a 4.72/40 with a 7.15-3cone and 25 reps on the bench. Not putting too much emphasis on the combine but it does show great work ethic in the weight room and beyond. Plus I have to fall back on my original assessment that there just aren't any 'complete' TEs in this draft anyway. And this guy does block well and catch well.
    Yeah, I don't see Runyan as being athletic enough to play OT in the NFL. Has decent feet, but I don't think good enough to play LT and at 6'4" 305 he doesn't seem big enough to play RT either, nor handle speed rushers in space very well. He played at the Shrine Game at guard and looked good there.

Okwara kind of frightens me as a boom or bust pick. Great athlete, but thin and not a factor in the run defense. Gets pushed around a lot, by TE, never mind setting the edge vs an OT. There is youtube game vs Georgia online and its not special, nor was the Michigan game. Garvin has size and can run, plus seems to use his hands OK, but doesn't seem to have initial quickness I would like and I read somewhere he has inconsistent motor. I haven't done any looking at Hill.

I do like Alex Highsmith from Charlotte, he seems to have move and counter moves, plus relentless motor. Same too with Mike Danna from Michigan. I would pick Highsmith over Danna and Danna over Garvin.

DeGuara posted some good combine numbers, but again you can look up film on him and its nothing special. I saw Cinci bowl game and his work at the Senior Bowl and he is hustle and effort, but nothing that flashed as super impressive. Adam Trautman and Harrison Bryant looked like the best TE in Mobile as blockers and receivers, while Kmet looks to be the concensus top TE, but I think its too small of a sample size to make him a 1st round pick.

DeGuara adds to the TE room, but if he wasn't in the top 3 TE at the Senior Bowl with pads on, I don't get too excited about him running a 40 in shorts. I said, he is to TE, what Matakevich is to ILB...IMO.

Yeah, I don't see Runyan as being athletic enough to play OT in the NFL. Has decent feet, but I don't think good enough to play LT and at 6'4" 305 he doesn't seem big enough to play RT either, nor handle speed rushers in space very well. He played at the Shrine Game at guard and looked good there.

Okwara kind of frightens me as a boom or bust pick. Great athlete, but thin and not a factor in the run defense. Gets pushed around a lot, by TE, never mind setting the edge vs an OT. There is youtube game vs Georgia online and its not special, nor was the Michigan game. Garvin has size and can run, plus seems to use his hands OK, but doesn't seem to have initial quickness I would like and I read somewhere he has inconsistent motor. I haven't done any looking at Hill.

I do like Alex Highsmith from Charlotte, he seems to have move and counter moves, plus relentless motor. Same too with Mike Danna from Michigan. I would pick Highsmith over Danna and Danna over Garvin.

DeGuara posted some good combine numbers, but again you can look up film on him and its nothing special. I saw Cinci bowl game and his work at the Senior Bowl and he is hustle and effort, but nothing that flashed as super impressive. Adam Trautman and Harrison Bryant looked like the best TE in Mobile as blockers and receivers, while Kmet looks to be the concensus top TE, but I think its too small of a sample size to make him a 1st round pick.

DeGuara adds to the TE room, but if he wasn't in the top 3 TE at the Senior Bowl with pads on, I don't get too excited about him running a 40 in shorts. I said, he is to TE, what Matakevich is to ILB...IMO.
    I also posted those Okwara games in the prospects thread for easy access.

Yes Garvin would be a project as far as his consistency goes but the tools are there.

I also think Highsmith is the best 'Steelers' fit in this class.

I see the concerns at TE. I would rather take a guy like Deguara later in the draft than any of these guys at 49 or 102. Just my opinion.

My mocks are usually way off from what actually happens. Since I am against taking a WR, TE, or RB early or maybe at all, it's probably what the Steelers will actually do. So I looked at the best of those positions early to see who I might take to change up my own thought process.
    Using the Draft Network Sim:

49. Jonathan Taylor RB - Excellent college production RB that will give the offense some of it's lost luster after last season. Brings immediate excitement for the fans.
    102. Alex Highsmith Edge - I keep saying Highsmith is the most Steeler-esque OLB in this draft.
    124. Ben Bredesen OG - Strong, tough, physical OG to be quality OL depth at first but eventually become a quality starter.
    135. Tanner Muse SS/ILB - Only prospect to get a dinner with Tomlin this year due to the pandemic.
    198. Isaiah Coulter ZWR - Small school but big time production and potential. Adding Taylor at 49 keeps safeties in the box, Coulter makes them respect the deep pass as well.
    232. Garrett Marino IDL - 1 gap penetrator rotational pass rusher for the interior of the DL.

No SIM this time. Just drafting with the same mindset as above but with players I think will be available. My own big board I guess.
    49. Justin Madubuike 6'3"-304lbs DL Texas A&M. Can play as the 0tech or slide out and play a more even front type or 3-4DE. Gives a NT upgrade plus DL flexibility.
    102. Antonio Gibson 6'1"-223lbs RB/WR/KR Memphis. An offensive weapon that can be utilized from anywhere at anytime. Gibson gives a immediate force to be reckoned with day 1.
    124. Logan Stenberg 6'6"-316lbs OG Kentucky. Massive people mover. Stenberg will open holes for the Steeler's RBs.
    135. Bryce Huff 6'3"-255lbs OLB/DE Memphis. Behind Watt and Dupree are 2 UDFAs. Huff immediately upgrades edge depth.
    198. Tanner Muse 6'2"-230lbs Safety/ILB Clemson. Tweener LB/SS gives a flex defender of a 'Joker' role.
    232. Lynn Bowden 6'1"-200lbs WR/RB/QB Kentucky. Similar weapon flexibility as Gibson drafted earlier. Bowden also presents unique issues for defenses.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 04-11-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Walk The Mock Sim
    2:17 Cesar Ruiz C Michigan: I think Ruiz will be long gone by this point so to see him available, I could not pass up. Can play guard before replacing Pouncey (who is coming off a career worst year and is on decline)
    3:38 Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota: This team needs a no. 1 receiving threat to open up options for everyone else. Drafting Johnson to be the guy
    4:18 Alex Highsmith EDGE Charlotte: Provide OLB depth and a possible replacement for Bud Dupree if Bud prices himself out of Pittsburgh
    4:29 J.R. Reed SS Georgia: Provide a solid safety outside Minkah Fitzpatrick
    6:19 Jared Hilbers OT Washington: The o-line needs work
    7:18 Michael Divinity LB LSU: Depth at LB

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Walk The Mock Sim
    2:17 Cesar Ruiz C Michigan: I think Ruiz will be long gone by this point so to see him available, I could not pass up. Can play guard before replacing Pouncey (who is coming off a career worst year and is on decline)
    3:38 Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota: This team needs a no. 1 receiving threat to open up options for everyone else. Drafting Johnson to be the guy
    4:18 Alex Highsmith EDGE Charlotte: Provide OLB depth and a possible replacement for Bud Dupree if Bud prices himself out of Pittsburgh
    4:29 J.R. Reed SS Georgia: Provide a solid safety outside Minkah Fitzpatrick
    6:19 Jared Hilbers OT Washington: The o-line needs work
    7:18 Michael Divinity LB LSU: Depth at LB
    Yea, Ruiz won’t be there. But, if he was...

Oh, you have Highsmith drafted. Nice

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Fanspeak sim:

49: R2P17 S GRANT DELPIT LSU
    102: R3P38 WR BRYAN EDWARDS SOUTH CAROLINA
    124: R4P18 C TYLER BIADASZ WISCONSIN
    135: R4P29 RB ANTONIO GIBSON MEMPHIS
    198: R6P19 DL BRAVVION ROY BAYLOR
    232: R7P18 WR LAWRENCE CAGER GEORGIA

Delpit plays in sub packages and allows team to move Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, and maybe Haden all over the formation. Covers up for the several hundred coverage snaps that Mark Barron played last season.Edwards is just a potential monster "big slot" WR in year one and beyond that, who knows? Then I got my interior OL piece. I'm a sucker for big ole UW OL. I missed on the two edges I wanted (Highsmith and Huff), so got my big ugly instead. The rest of draft is just potential. Gibson might just be a way better version of Jalen Samuels or he might be far more. Roy might be another presence in the middle, he might not -- but I'd like to find out. Finally, Cager could just be the next supersized WR or he could be a mistake. But...I'm building a fleet of monsters here. Put Juju, Edwards, Ebron, Cager, and Gibson all on the field together. Someone is gonna have a mismatch just based on size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Fanspeak sim:

49: R2P17 S GRANT DELPIT LSU
    102: R3P38 WR BRYAN EDWARDS SOUTH CAROLINA
    124: R4P18 C TYLER BIADASZ WISCONSIN
    135: R4P29 RB ANTONIO GIBSON MEMPHIS
    198: R6P19 DL BRAVVION ROY BAYLOR
    232: R7P18 WR LAWRENCE CAGER GEORGIA

Delpit plays in sub packages and allows team to move Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, and maybe Haden all over the formation. Covers up for the several hundred coverage snaps that Mark Barron played last season.Edwards is just a potential monster "big slot" WR in year one and beyond that, who knows? Then I got my interior OL piece. I'm a sucker for big ole UW OL. I missed on the two edges I wanted (Highsmith and Huff), so got my big ugly instead. The rest of draft is just potential. Gibson might just be a way better version of Jalen Samuels or he might be far more. Roy might be another presence in the middle, he might not -- but I'd like to find out. Finally, Cager could just be the next supersized WR or he could be a mistake. But...I'm building a fleet of monsters here. Put Juju, Edwards, Ebron, Cager, and Gibson all on the field together. Someone is gonna have a mismatch just based on size.
    Good draft. I love the position flexibility. It’s about creating chaos on defense and mismatches on offense. I like it a lot.

Good draft. I love the position flexibility. It’s about creating chaos on defense and mismatches on offense. I like it a lot.
    Agree. Position flexibility is a new thing I am focusing on, especially on defense. Delpit is just another flexible piece right down the spine of the defense.

I wanted more blazing speed, but just wasn't able to get it -- so now it is just being gigantic.