Thread: ARTICLE Film Room: How Matt Canada Will Impact The Steelers’ Offense

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

ARTICLE Film Room: How Matt Canada Will Impact The Steelers’ Offense

We’re a day removed from the Pittsburgh Steelers announcing they hired Matt Canada to be their new quarterbacks coach, filling the vacant position when Randy Fichtner become offensive coordinator in 2019 (Fichtner and assistant Matt Symmes wound up working with the QBs the most).

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/01/fi...elers-offense/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: ARTICLE Film Room: How Matt Canada Will Impact The Steelers’ Offense

Some good stuff in there on the Canada video on mechanics. Some things that I learned over the years and like to point out to young kids learning to play QB.

-"point your opposite shoulder to the target"
    -"you throw with your feet"
    -"2 hands on the ball as long as we can"

Hopefully some of the young guys spending time with him in the offseason, OTA's, preseason, etc will help mechanics and improve consistency and performance. I feel more optimistic of Rudolph and Hodges getting some improvement.

Member Array title="Blue Marvel is an unknown quantity at this point">

its a damn shame that rooney always has to step in to get tomlin off his ass with coaches

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Watch the 3:40 point of this video on. Canada say "you throw with your feet". He explains that by the time a player gets to college, they can throw and coaches will work on release point, but they emphasize the footwork and "throwing with your feet". That was an issue with Rudolph at OSU, that was an issue his rookie year until he sought outside coaching in the offseason and his bad habits came back this season part way thru the year.

Also, the 1:45 mark of the video he shows what happens if the QB doesnt have his front shoulder pointing to the target. If its to the right, the QB hasnt stepped his feet to the throw and "you dont get enough oomph on the throw" as Canada says. If the QB isnt pointing to his target on the left, they can over compensate and step too far open to catch up and "cause a bad throw".

I think this guy is gonna help out whatever young QB's are on the Steelers roster with their mechanics. Also, he is gonna be breaking down film and decision making of what Ben does on a weekly basis with the guys backing up, which should help their development. I'm almost as enthused about this hire as I was with the Teryl Austin hire at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the 1:45 mark of the video he shows what happens if the QB doesnt have his front shoulder pointing to the target. If its to the right, the QB hasnt stepped his feet to the throw and "you dont get enough oomph on the throw" as Canada says. If the QB isnt pointing to his target on the left, they can over compensate and step too far open to catch up and "cause a bad throw".

I think this guy is gonna help out whatever young QB's are on the Steelers roster with their mechanics. Also, he is gonna be breaking down film and decision making of what Ben does on a weekly basis with the guys backing up, which should help their development. I'm almost as enthused about this hire as I was with the Teryl Austin hire at this point.