Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donnie Shell Elected To HOF

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Donnie Shell Elected To HOF

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Stats aren't everything - also depends on the team you played for, how you played in the games when the most people were watching, and how many championship teams you were on - two players who got into Canton based a lot on one game were Joe Namath in SB III and Lynn Swann in SB X

Harold Carmichael
    182 games - 8985 yards - 590 receptions (15.2 YPR) - 79 TDs - 1 Super Bowl no rings
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CarmHa00.htm

Lynn Swann
    116 games - 5462 yards - 336 receptions (16.3 YPR) - 51 TDs - 4 Super Bowls 4 rings
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SwanLy00.htm

Drew Pearson
    156 games - 7822 yards - 489 receptions (16.0 YPR) - 48 TDs - 3 Super Bowls 1 ring
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...P/PearDr00.htm

For players like Drew Pearson who did not get selected today and realize this was their last best shot today was tough

f the cowboys

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    f the cowboys

I agree but Drew should have gotten in. Now, let me go puke and take a shower because I hate Dallas.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Happy for the Torpedo.
    Congrats...very deserving.

Could cover and hit hard.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

I agree but Drew should have gotten in. Now, let me go puke and take a shower because I hate Dallas.
    I agree, I thought Drew Pearson was a more impactful WR than Harold Carmichael, but maybe that is because he had Staubach and Danny White, while Carmichael mostly had Jaworski at QB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Donnie Shell Elected To HOF

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree, I thought Drew Pearson was a more impactful WR than Harold Carmichael, but maybe that is because he had Staubach and Danny White, while Carmichael mostly had Jaworski at QB.
    Being one that watches both play, it wasn’t even close. Carmichael was a much better and more impactful receiver than Pearson. Pearson drew more media attention but Carmichael was the better player. Not saying Pearson doesn’t deserve it, Carmichael deserves it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Here’s a good article on Carmichael for those not familiar:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...ael-hall-famer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Shell had a great 14 year career. I am happy he got into the HOF and I enjoyed watching him play as a Steeler while I was a kid. I have never expressed disdain towards him or spoken negatively about his play in the past or the present. Therefore, I don't see the relevance to the post that you reference.
    Guess when I read what you wrote, I took it to mean you thought Donnie was a marginal or borderline player and that Steeler fans who always knew he belonged in the HOF long ago were just being some kind of homer. If I got it wrong then that is my bad.

I honestly believe it took so long because of Peter King, who's only justification was he didn't want to open a wing of Steelers in the HOF. To me that is a pretty shallow way to keep a player out of the hall. I also agree with Atlanta Dan that it helped Donnie immensely when Tony Dungee said what he did during his induction.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Here’s a good article on Carmichael for those not familiar:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...ael-hall-famer
    That's what I mean. I wasn't a huge Eagles fan growing up but since I lived in the area I always heard about him. He was clearly the Eagles best receiver in their history.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Congrats to Donnie. A rare strong satay who could pick the ball off, knock you out in a day when safeties were avowed to do it, and play slot corner.

You could say he was underrated despite his accomplishments because of the team he was on.

51 interceptions, 2 touchdowns, 19 fumble recoveries.