Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Shell Elected To HOF

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Donnie Shell Elected To HOF

Shell Is Hall Of Fame Bound

He was announced as one of 10 Seniors who will be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of the Centennial Class of 2020, joining former Steelers Coach Bill Cowher, who was announced on Saturday as a part of the same class. Shell becomes the 10th player from the Steelers 1970s team, as well as Coach Chuck Noll, to become a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and is the 26th member of the Steelers' organization to earn the honor.

https://www.steelers.com/news/shell-is-hall-of-fame-bound

Could not embed this video on examples of his high level of play - link below

https://www.steelers.com/video/hall-...s-donnie-shell

Well deserved

Not certain if Coach Cowher and Donnie Shell will be inducted at what I regard as the top shelf ceremony in August or not To get people to show up from nearby Pittsburgh in September I could see the league putting Cowher and/or Shell in the September ceremony

The Hall of Fame's Class of 2020 -- comprised of modern-era players -- will be selected in Miami Beach on Feb. 1, the day before Super Bowl LIV. The Hall of Fame announced the modern-era class will be enshrined in August with part of the centennial class. The remainder of the centennial class will be enshrined at the league's 100th year celebration in September in Canton.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ntennial-class

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Donnie Shell Elected To HOF

Outstanding!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Good for Shell.

Looks like the class put in a few borderline players that have waited around for a while. Cliff Harris, Harold Carmichael, Jimbo Covert, Alex Karras.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Good for Shell.

Looks like the class put in a few borderline players that have waited around for a while. Cliff Harris, Harold Carmichael, Jimbo Covert, Alex Karras.
    I'm surprised at Carmichael. He didn't have the greatest of stats. Tallest WR though.

I only know Alex Karras because of "Webster". I never saw him play and never saw him on MNF

Happy for The Torpedo. Should have been in a long time ago.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'm surprised at Carmichael. He didn't have the greatest of stats. Tallest WR though.

I only know Alex Karras because of "Webster". I never saw him play and never saw him on MNF

Yup, and I bet if you went to the respective fanbase websites there will be Cowboy board saying Cliff Harris was long overdue, Eagle boards saying its about time Carmichael got in and Lions fans saying that Alex Karras should have gotten in long ago. Its the same way Steeler fans have a higher opinion of Shell than the majority of other sports writers, fans, HOF voters and why it took 30 years for him to get in.

IMO, a lot of similarities to these players as Steve Atwater. Broncos fans think he should be a lock, but most others are thinking he is borderline.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yup, and I bet if you went to the respective fanbase websites there will be Cowboy board saying Cliff Harris was long overdue, Eagle boards saying its about time Carmichael got in and Lions fans saying that Alex Karras should have gotten in long ago. Its the same way Steeler fans have a higher opinion of Shell than the majority of other sports writers, fans, HOF voters and why it took 30 years for him to get in.

IMO, a lot of similarities to these players as Steve Atwater. Broncos fans think he should be a lock, but most others are thinking he is borderline.
    Interesting perspective for someone who stated this in the coach Cowher go into the HOF thread.

I find it amusing how Hall of Famers aren't good enough for some Steeler fans.
    Donnie Shell retired with 51 ints. which was the most for his position at that time. Not to shabby for an undrafted free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Interesting perspective for someone who stated this in the coach Cowher go into the HOF thread.

Donnie Shell retired with 51 ints. which was the most for his position at that time. Not to shabby for an undrafted free agent.
    Shell had a great 14 year career. I am happy he got into the HOF and I enjoyed watching him play as a Steeler while I was a kid. I have never expressed disdain towards him or spoken negatively about his play in the past or the present. Therefore, I don't see the relevance to the post that you reference.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Surely you remember “Mongo”?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Surely you remember “Mongo”?
    Yes! Classic movie. Forgot about that. But I was 6 when Blazing Saddles came out so I really didn't watch that movie until maybe the early 80s on HBO.

Yes! Classic movie. Forgot about that. But I was 6 when Blazing Saddles came out so I really didn't watch that movie until maybe the early 80s on HBO.
    My favorite thing of Alex Karras is the stories he told of how Bobby Layne took him under his wing as a rookie in training camp and they were tying bedsheets together to climb out the window and go drinking. Below is a good article on some exploits.

Alex Karras played 12 marvelous seasons for the Lions, as one of the best defensive linemen to ever grace their roster. And, dare I say, one of the best to not be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.But he almost didn’t make the team as a rookie, to hear Alex tell it.The late, great Bobby Layne, for whatever reason, took a shining to Karras when the latter arrived as a rookie in 1958.
    Just a bumpkin from Iowa, Karras once described himself.And now he was a rookie in the NFL, playing for the defending world champions.Layne took Karras under his wing, which in the world of Bobby Layne took on an entirely different meaning than from what you and I take that to mean.Karras re-told the experience in the early-'70s to the late Detroit Free Press sports writer George Puscas, who Karras grew close to while playing for the Lions.Seems Layne turned Karras into his personal drinking buddy during that 1958 camp.“I was drunk all the time,” Karras told Puscas. “I have no idea how I made the team because I was hungover at every practice.”Karras wasn’t a drinker, per se, and definitely not one to partake of hard liquor. But Layne loved his Cutty Sark, which meant Alex had to love it, too.Layne, according to Karras, only required one, two hours of sleep per night. The two of them would stumble into the dorms at Cranbrook after a long night of partying at a bar in Pontiac, and while Karras struggled to squeeze a little sleep into his body, Layne would head into the shower and sing his favorite song, “Ida Red,” fresh as a daisy.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/228592-bobby-layne-and-alex-karras-unlikely-drinking-buddies-in-58-lions-camp

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

You should check out Paper Lion,

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I'm surprised at Carmichael. He didn't have the greatest of stats.
    Stats aren't everything - also depends on the team you played for, how you played in the games when the most people were watching, and how many championship teams you were on - two players who got into Canton based a lot on one game were Joe Namath in SB III and Lynn Swann in SB X

Harold Carmichael
    182 games - 8985 yards - 590 receptions (15.2 YPR) - 79 TDs - 1 Super Bowl no rings
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/CarmHa00.htm

Lynn Swann
    116 games - 5462 yards - 336 receptions (16.3 YPR) - 51 TDs - 4 Super Bowls 4 rings
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SwanLy00.htm

Drew Pearson
    156 games - 7822 yards - 489 receptions (16.0 YPR) - 48 TDs - 3 Super Bowls 1 ring
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...P/PearDr00.htm

For players like Drew Pearson who did not get selected today and realize this was their last best shot today was tough

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Stats aren't everything - also depends on the team you played for, how you played in the games when the most people were watching, and how many championship teams you were on - two players who got into Canton based a lot on one game were Joe Namath in SB III and Lynn Swann in SB X

Harold Carmichael
    182 games - 8985 yards - 590 receptions (15.2 YPR) - 79 TDs - 1 Super Bowl no rings

Lynn Swann
    116 games - 5462 yards - 336 receptions (16.3 YPR) - 51 TDs - 4 Super Bowls 4 rings

Drew Pearson
    156 games - 7822 yards - 489 receptions (16.0 YPR) - 48 TDs - 3 Super Bowls 1 ring

For players like Drew Pearson who did not get selected today and realize this was their last best shot today was tough

Well, it's like El Gonzo said above. Different fanbases have different perspectives. Growing up in Tomlin country, I wasn't even close to a major NFL city. Washington DC is 3 1/2 hours away so I grew up seeing the Redskins on my local affiliate and praying Pittsburgh to be on a national game. I saw Harold Carmichael on football cards and never followed him except if I looked at his card and remembered he was 6'8'. When the Eagles won the NFCC in 1980-81, I watched him beat the hated Cowboys. That's really all I remember from him.

I saw and remember Drew Pearson on national games and Super Bowls and lots of playoff games. So, for me, I hate Dallas with all of my breath but I think Drew got snubbed. He is #88 to me not Irvin or Dez.

I can't be objective on Lynn. He's in and that's that.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Harold Carmichael

Lynn Swann

Drew Pearson

f the cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    f the cowboys

I agree but Drew should have gotten in. Now, let me go puke and take a shower because I hate Dallas.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

AWESOME!!! ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That's awesome!!!

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Great about time!!!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I grew up in Mount Laurel, NJ (where NFL Films started) and was happy to see the late Steve Sabol made it. The guy practically built NFL films out of his garage and without NFL films we wouldn't have the coverage we get today.

I followed the Eagles because they were local and was also happy to see Harold Carmichael make it. The guy was a great receiver and a class act.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Awesome, it took them long enough!

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Isn't that FIVE hall of famers in one draft class? Dang. Will never be equaled.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Loving this. The 70s Steelers now have 10 HOF players, one shy of half a starting lineup. The 74 rookie Steeler class also has 5, more than double anyone other rookie class

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Loving this. The 70s Steelers now have 10 HOF players, one shy of half a starting lineup. The 74 rookie Steeler class also has 5, more than double anyone other rookie class
    Wish LC Greenwood would have made it in by now but by not even getting on the centennial class list doubtful that will ever happen

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Wish LC Greenwood would have made it in by now but by not even getting on the centennial class list doubtful that will ever happen
    I think we might be done with the 70s Steelers after this one.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

It would have been nice if Hines Ward got in this year, but he’s gonna have to wait. Hopefully they induct a couple of these WRs so that Hines can move up that ladder.

Nice that two of our safeties are going in. Troy is a slam dunk.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

WOW never thought I would ever see this while Peter King was still alive. Congrats to Donnie Shell well deserved and should have happened much sooner.

I agree with Atlanta Dan that L.C. needs to be in there next, but not sure it will happen.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

LC Greenwood should be the last of the 70s guys to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I'm happy for Donnie Shell.

Another Steelers player in!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Drew Pearson should have gone in over Carmichael.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Bill Nunn should be the next Steelers in the HOF. He helped put that 70's team together, and still worked as a part time scout until his passing in 2014.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh