• 812 snaps, 88 targets, 44 recs, 612 yards, 3 TDs

0 0%
  • 856 snaps, 93 targets, 52 recs, 694 yards, 3 TDs

0 0%
  • 781 naps, 68 targets, 44 recs, 549 yards, 1 TDs

2 13.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pick a CB

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Pick a CB

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    If it's just a few more receptions and perhaps a TD more, I take the INTs. But, if it is anything more than say, 10 percent more receptions or a differences of 2 or 3 TDs year to year, I go with the shutdown receiver.
    We need some sort of metric.

If a guy gives up a TD, it negates half of an INT. (Some TDs are simply going to happen, and INTs are more difficult to come by.)

A pick-six isn’t as big (IMO) as one might think. Most of those types are lucky (no one in front of them.) Let’s make that worth an INT & a half.

Now, it gets tricky. If a guy gives up 5 receptions, but only 40 yards... is that better or worse than a guy who gives up 1 reception for 50 yards?

SUMMATION:
    Very few are the complete package... which is why I still feel that Rod Woodson is the best CB ever.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    We need some sort of metric.

If a guy gives up a TD, it negates half of an INT. (Some TDs are simply going to happen, and INTs are more difficult to come by.)

A pick-six isn’t as big (IMO) as one might think. Most of those types are lucky (no one in front of them.) Let’s make that worth an INT & a half.

Now, it gets tricky. If a guy gives up 5 receptions, but only 40 yards... is that better or worse than a guy who gives up 1 reception for 50 yards?

SUMMATION:
    Very few are the complete package... which is why I still feel that Rod Woodson is the best CB ever.

Rod Woodson is one of the best, most complete football players I have ever seen. He would be my #1 CB.

I always look at corners like this. Who would you pick as your CB if you got two of them. In other words, if you want Deion Sanders, you get two of him to play both outside CB positions. When you do it that way, it exposes players weaknesses more. Sanders was amazing as a cover corner, but he was a liability against the run. I'd run at that guy all day and make him tackle....or decide not to.

Woodson played cover corner at an elite level, but also brought a physical presence that can be a factor in all aspects of the game, and compliment the other areas of your defense. He hit like a truck, and was a great football player that happened to be a great track athlete. He is the prototypical modern CB from a size/speed/athleticism/ball skills/ toughness/instincts perspective.

Rod was too humble to announce himself as the best Steelers CB ever. He always said that Mr. Mel Blount was the best when asked. You have a pretty good problem as a franchise when you get to pick between those two monsters as your team's best CB!

His teams didn't win Super Bowls, but he is in the conversation for best Steelers player ever IMO.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Rod Woodson is one of the best, most complete football players I have ever seen. He would be my #1 CB.

I always look at corners like this. Who would you pick as your CB if you got two of them. In other words, if you want Deion Sanders, you get two of him to play both outside CB positions. When you do it that way, it exposes players weaknesses more. Sanders was amazing as a cover corner, but he was a liability against the run. I'd run at that guy all day and make him tackle....or decide not to.

Woodson played cover corner at an elite level, but also brought a physical presence that can be a factor in all aspects of the game, and compliment the other areas of your defense. He hit like a truck, and was a great football player that happened to be a great track athlete. He is the prototypical modern CB from a size/speed/athleticism/ball skills/ toughness/instincts perspective.

Rod was too humble to announce himself as the best Steelers CB ever. He always said that Mr. Mel Blount was the best when asked. You have a pretty good problem as a franchise when you get to pick between those two monsters as your team's best CB!

His teams didn't win Super Bowls, but he is in the conversation for best Steelers player ever IMO.
    Agree with you 1000%!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Agree with you 1000%!
    +1