Thread: ESPN To Offer Tony Romo Record Contract To Leave CBS

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

ESPN To Offer Tony Romo Record Contract To Leave CBS

Rumor has it that ESPN is prepared to offer Romo an annual salary between $10 million and $14 million to leave CBS to announce Monday Night Football on ESPN.

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: ESPN To Offer Tony Romo Record Contract To Leave CBS

Well they need to do something -- MNF is awful. Booger is bad and the other guy is worse. It is amazing not only how much nonsense those two communicate each broadcast, but how much dead air. there are stretches where they are simply saying nothing.

Since I hate almost all announcers (most are awful), it is kinda nice but not the playbook for how to broadcast a game.

I think the biggest problem with the announcing across networks is that folks have the job for far too long. I bet when they first start out, everyone works really hard to prep for each game. Then 30 years later, they are like "I got this!" and don't prep as hard and then go on the air and say wacky stuff.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

I'd be in favor of Romo on Monday Night Football. Out of most announcers out there I think Romo does a pretty good job and he's also entertaining to listen to.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I like Buck and Aikman. I also like Burkhart and Davis. Would Nantz come with Romo for the Monday Night gig?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I like Buck and Aikman. I also like Burkhart and Davis. Would Nantz come with Romo for the Monday Night gig?
    I doubt Nantz would leave doing the NCAA basketball tournament and the Masters. As great as Romo is, those 2 are dream gigs for an announcer.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Hope he takes it

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The next time I watch a game because of who is broadcasting it will be the first time

Not certain how ESPN turns a profit on the increased salary of Romo as opposed to Booger but if Romo gets it good for him

What may make sense is if this is the first step in the rumored move by Disney (ABC/ESPN) to outbid CBS for the AFC rights when the current rights deal expires.

The real $$$ are in the audiences for the Sunday games (article linked below shows 41 of the top 50 TV audiences in 2019 were NFL games - none were on Monday night).

https://adage.com/article/media/nfl-...dcasts/2225851

Having Romo on board would be the cornerstone of building out broadcasting teams for that.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well they need to do something -- MNF is awful. Booger is bad and the other guy is worse. It is amazing not only how much nonsense those two communicate each broadcast, but how much dead air. there are stretches where they are simply saying nothing.

Since I hate almost all announcers (most are awful), it is kinda nice but not the playbook for how to broadcast a game.

I think the biggest problem with the announcing across networks is that folks have the job for far too long. I bet when they first start out, everyone works really hard to prep for each game. Then 30 years later, they are like "I got this!" and don't prep as hard and then go on the air and say wacky stuff.
    Sort of the way Gary McCord in golf has become. I use to really like him. Now he’s just silly.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Back in the day, before they were so afraid of dead air, and there was no instant replay, you figured the game out for yourself. Now it's all noise, clutter, replays, etc.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    Back in the day, before they were afraid of dead air, and there was no instant replay, you figured the game out for yourself. Now it's all noise, clutter, replays, etc.
    Sure, much of a current tv broadcast is clutter - but I am not sure that it is or was ever ideal to have live game action going on and no one saying anything.

Also, TV networks are caught in a bind. To whom do they calibrate their broadcasts to? Fans with a deep knowledge of the game and rules? Casual fans that know the general basics but need help with the intricacies of the game play and strategies? Or "new" fans that barely can follow what is going on?

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Sure, much of a current tv broadcast is clutter - but I am not sure that it is or was ever ideal to have live game action going on and no one saying anything.

Also, TV networks are caught in a bind. To whom do they calibrate their broadcasts to? Fans with a deep knowledge of the game and rules? Casual fans that know the general basics but need help with the intricacies of the game play and strategies? Or "new" fans that barely can follow what is going on?
    No. You can't enjoy the moment when they're constantly bombarding you with stats, and clutter, that are meaningless to the game in front of you. Then they over analyze everything. I first started watching football on TV in the 50s. It was completely different. It was more like going to a game.

IMO

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

If ESPN can't get Romo they might as well throw up some midgets or get those chimpanzees from the I work with monkeys tv commercial.

ESPN needs to change programming and dump all the radical left wing political garbage. They are not qualified. Most of them can barely read a teleprompter. They need to move the kickoff line back to the original days. There are some podcasts that get higher ratings. Too much nonsense freestyling when they got no style points to begin with.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Is there a source link for this rumor? It’d be an improvement that’s for sure.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Is there a source link for this rumor? It’d be an improvement that’s for sure.
    https://frntofficesport.com/tony-romo-espn-mnf/

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/202...romo-espn-cbs/

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Rumor has it that ESPN is prepared to offer Romo an annual salary between $10 million and $14 million to leave CBS to announce Monday Night Football on ESPN.

Wow...
    I actually like Romo's work. He's not over the top douchy like Collinsworth. I also like Aikman it must be something about ex-Cowboy QB's.

The Monday Night crew have been horrible for years and years.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Still never understood the decision Disney made by moving Monday Football from a main network channel to ESPN...Especially when NBC made such a push to get football on Sunday Night. MNF used to be an event; as much as I hate listening to Collingsworth, Sunday Night Football seems to have taken over the spotlight

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I actually like Romo's work. He's not over the top douchy like Collinsworth. I also like Aikman it must be something about ex-Cowboy QB's.

The Monday Night crew have been horrible for years and years.
    Agree...imagine them going from Booger to Romo...lol

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Still never understood the decision Disney made by moving Monday Football from a main network channel to ESPN...Especially when NBC made such a push to get football on Sunday Night. MNF used to be an event; as much as I hate listening to Collingsworth, Sunday Night Football seems to have taken over the spotlight
    MNF used to be an event because you got to see teams you normally didn’t get to see on a regular basis. Technology and the NFL have ruined MNF. Nowadays, especially if you are creative, you can see any game you want from any market you want. You can listen to any games broadcast you want...home, away, Spanish, whatever. The NFL has put more games on TV and prime time so it’s no longer that special event it used to be...now people bitch because the game isn’t good. The move from ABC to ESPN hurts a bit but really, I think it’s very small compared to the rest of the contributing factors.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I just wish they would get rid of Thursday Night Football. It messes up trying to start fantasy players.

I just wish they would get rid of Thursday Night Football. It messes up trying to start fantasy players.
    I hate TNF as well.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'll do it for half of what they're offering Romo.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sadly I don’t think that’s going to happen.