Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry!

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Henry!

Doesn't make you think the Steelers need a elite RB ?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Henry!

Henry is a beast but that Titans OL/TE group is dominating.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

RB's are just a dime in a dozen and can get a great one in the 6th RD like Terrell Davis!

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers need to seriously think about drafting a RB if the right one falls to them at 2 RD. RB or Center should be their pick.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Dude’s a truck

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Dude’s a truck
    He's a faster Bettis.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

There is no correlation between running the football and winning in the NFL.

Three yards and a cloud of dust.

Ya’ll just want to go back to Cahr Pahr.

You’re wasting Ben if you run the ball.

To win in the modern NFL. You need to pass 30-40 times a game, preferably out of shotgun.

Running the football doesn’t work. That’s why the Steelers will win 11-12 games next season with Ben and Randy heading the offensive attack.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Well, they did finish 9-7. So they caught lightning in a bottle and got hot at the right time.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Three yards and a cloud of dust.

Ya’ll just want to go back to Cahr Pahr.

You’re wasting Ben if you run the ball.

To win in the modern NFL. You need to pass 30-40 times a game, preferably out of shotgun.

Running the football doesn’t work. That’s why the Steelers will win 11-12 games next season with Ben and Randy heading the offensive attack.

Yup, all the fantasy footballers that never played or had involvement with the game just thing the running game is useless. But every year in the playoffs, the teams that commit to the run and dominate the LOS on the ground seem to have success. Flat out hilarious !

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Yup, all the fantasy footballers that never played or had involvement with the game just thing the running game is useless. But every year in the playoffs, the teams that commit to the run and dominate the LOS on the ground seem to have success. Flat out hilarious !

There is no doubt that winning the battle at the line decisively is 90% of the time going to win you the game ... however, it has also been a LONG time since there has been a dominant stretch like this by a running back, taking over multiple playoff games and putting the whole team on his back. You just don't see it. Not to mention, the rest of the Titans' offense has been dogshit, like 100 passing yards a game. The dude is literally doing it all himself. It says a lot about his talent, but I also think it is a pretty low-percentage thing for others to try and replicate. Maybe it'll lead to a run on RBs in this draft, but it is not about the RB position being more valuable, it is about one guy who is a singular talent, helped out by a really competent line.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There is no doubt that winning the battle at the line decisively is 90% of the time going to win you the game ... however, it has also been a LONG time since there has been a dominant stretch like this by a running back, taking over multiple playoff games and putting the whole team on his back. You just don't see it.

Riggins in '82 and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Terrell Davis in '97 are the only other times I've seen it.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Riggins in '82 and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Terrell Davis in '97 are the only other times I've seen it.
    Marshawn Lynch.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There is no doubt that winning the battle at the line decisively is 90% of the time going to win you the game ... however, it has also been a LONG time since there has been a dominant stretch like this by a running back, taking over multiple playoff games and putting the whole team on his back.
    I agree, there is no need to have a RB carry the load like Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson, Marcus Allen, etc. Derrick Henry will have the tires run off him like Steelers fans have seen with RB's.

My question is how many successful teams get far in the playoffs by not running the football or committing to the running game? It doesn't have to be a single RB, similar to what the 49ers did yesterday. I think we will see today if Marshawn Lynch, Travis Homer and others can run the football in Lambeau, or will it be Aaron Jones and the Packers O line establishing the ground game?

Some fans loath the running game for various reasons, but I think a lot of it is that its not as dynamic or entertaining as passing game, but they don't understand how important it is to be able to run the football and that you cant do it at will...it needs to be established.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Watching Henry's post game presser on NFL Network someone asked him what he took more pride in his 195 yards rushing or his TD pass?

His answer, "I took pride in the team winning the game the individual stuff doesn't matter."

And folks that is why AB & Bell never lead us to a championship. Those two are/were the polar opposite and cared about themselves over the team.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Watching Henry's post game presser on NFL Network someone asked him what he took more pride in his 195 yards rushing or his TD pass?

His answer, "I took pride in the team winning the game the individual stuff doesn't matter."

And folks that is why AB & Bell never lead us to a championship. Those two are/were the polar opposite and cared about themselves over the team.
    Or they did not have the benefit of playing at Alabama and learn in their teens from Coach Saban how to answer that question or find yourself on the bench

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Titans OL is one of the best in the league.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Titans OL is one of the best in the league.
    They are, but worth noting their best OL got popped for PEDs to start the season. I always find it funny that all of us as fans swallow the "I didn't know what was in this supplement" excuse and never look back once these guys get back on the field. But smoke weed...anyways not to derail the thread totally...

Maybe I don't know enough about supplements, but what are you taking that has like vitamins and minerals in it AND horse steroids?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Technically there is a correlation just not a causation.

The leading rushing team in the league did just lose despite tons of yards.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I like Henry a lot and think he’s a beast but once that O-Line was all back together and healthy is when his stats really started to pick up. I think it was right around the bye week.

Lewan back from suspension, Saffold back from knee, Jones back, Conklin back and a decent threat at QB all helped Henry out...but the dude is still a beast...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The missing piece is you have to be effective and efficient when you do run the ball, whether it be 10 times or 100 times.

Hardly anyone would argue that dominating the LOS and rushing for 5+ yards a pop isn't a path to winning football games.

But if you're just running failed plays into the line over and over trying to establish something, that's kinda silly.

While Tannehill was not a major statistical factor in last night's upset, his 2 passing TDs early where incredibly critical in creating a situation where the Ravens got forced out of their gameplan.

The #1 and #6 rushing teams are out of the playoffs and the #2 and #3 are still in. Says to me that successful running is an important component of a well rounded team.

Personally, all I've ever attempted to push back against is that there is a certain number of rush attempts that causes a team to win.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The missing piece is you have to be effective and efficient when you do run the ball, whether it be 10 times or 100 times.

Hardly anyone would argue that dominating the LOS and rushing for 5+ yards a pop isn't a path to winning football games.

But if you're just running failed plays into the line over and over trying to establish something, that's kinda silly.

While Tannehill was not a major statistical factor in last night's upset, his 2 passing TDs early where incredibly critical in creating a situation where the Ravens got forced out of their gameplan.

The #1 and #6 rushing teams are out of the playoffs and the #2 and #3 are still in. Says to me that successful running is an important component of a well rounded team.

Personally, all I've ever attempted to push back against is that there is a certain number of rush attempts that causes a team to win.
    This is exactly right. The Titans’ current success isn’t proof that their way is objectively the best way to win a championship. It happens to be working for them because of their specific personnel.

Just like if the Chiefs beat them it isn’t proof that the Titans formula doesn’t work. There are many formulas that CAN work. In the long run I’d probably rather have Mahomes than Henry because I do think that a great QB is probably a more sustainable path to long term success.

We should draw conclusions from everything we’re currently seeing in the NFL, but we should be careful not to jump to the wrong ones.

As Mojo says, commitment to running the ball is not, in and of itself, any more of an objective winning formula than commitment to passing the ball. It’s all about catering to your own personnel, and obviously playing smart situational football.

Moj is 100% correct. If you keep running like we tried all year and can't get first downs then you don't really have a running game.

But when you CAN run like Tennessee is doing the single biggest thing is you control the clock. If you have the ball the other team, no matter how explosive their offense is, cannot score. All it takes is about two good long drives each half that end in TD's and you take the ball out of their hands. Plus you also begin to wear down the other teams defense as well. If you watch the Patriots game by the 4th quarter the Pat's defense wanted nothing to do with tackling Henry, they looked gased. The same with Ravens. They got worn down and eventually Henry broke that big run off which pretty much sealed the game.

Next week if the Titans can do the same then you keep the ball out of Mahomes hands.

Having a back like Henry would instantly make Ben a lot better QB simply because we could attack teams balancedly.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

How much of the success of the running game though is from a dominant O-line and teams not being able to stack the run because otherwise the resurged Ryan Tannehill can beat them with his arm? A RB is fine but if you don't have the QB or the o-line necessary, then they become useless

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

That would be a dream! We wont do it .

Interesting (perhaps only to me!) factoid about the last decade and this playoffs:

There have been only 4 playoff games the last 10 years where a team ran on at least 69% of their plays. Three of those four games have been in this postseason: SF today and both Titans wins.

https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/1216244670394707970

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Henry has been impressive without a doubt, but looking at his stats, it took a huge jump when Tannehill became the starter. The threat of the deep playaction passes opened things up for Henry.

Not taking anything away from Henry, he's a great back. But the fact the offense has more than 1 way to attack you makes it impossible to just key on him. If you sell out to stop the run, Tannehill and AJ Brown will burn you every time.

The Titans honestly are a more complete team than most of the teams in the playoffs. It's crazy how they only went 9-7 this year. The fact they pretty much dominated NE and Baltimore, I wouldn't consider it an upset if they also beat KC. They remind me a lot of the 2010 Packers and 2005 Steelers

Pretty interesting take on how the Steelers entire offensive system is built to move the defense horizontally and not vertically in the run game.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...y-fichtner-nfl

Two quotes I find really interesting and make sense to me as an explanation for what the Steelers line does and does not do well.

1. "The Steelers, unfortunately, are in a state of flux when it comes to the identity of their rushing attack. Their offensive line was constructed first and foremost to protect Ben Roethlisberger and beyond that to create seams and creases for the hunt-and-peck running style of Le’Veon Bell. Bell’s patience and willingness to wait for a hole to emerge required linemen to cover up defenders and move them horizontally. The Steelers also ran a lot of pin-and-pull sweep with Bell, getting him out in space when defenses crowded the box. Their linemen were effective pass setting and pulling. But they were not built like Tennessee’s. They did not push defenses off the ball."

2. "When you watch the Steelers linemen in these GIFs, even on the successful plays shown above, you see a lot of positional blocking. This means the linemen are trying to gain body position on the defender and shield them from the back. Watch David DeCastro (66) in the clip above, or Villanueva on Benny Snell’s run. They do not fire off of the football and try to displace defenders vertically the way Tennessee’s linemen do. Rather, they are trying to gain horizontal leverage and turn them. It is a style better suited for a Le’Veon Bell-type back than for Conner and Snell."

I kinda figured it was something like this, but am not knowledgeable enough to evaluate how valid this all is. But it makes sense. Build your team do to one thing, then have to transition to doing another...going to take a minute.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Pretty interesting take on how the Steelers entire offensive system is built to move the defense horizontally and not vertically in the run game.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...y-fichtner-nfl

Two quotes I find really interesting and make sense to me as an explanation for what the Steelers line does and does not do well.

1. "The Steelers, unfortunately, are in a state of flux when it comes to the identity of their rushing attack. Their offensive line was constructed first and foremost to protect Ben Roethlisberger and beyond that to create seams and creases for the hunt-and-peck running style of Le’Veon Bell. Bell’s patience and willingness to wait for a hole to emerge required linemen to cover up defenders and move them horizontally. The Steelers also ran a lot of pin-and-pull sweep with Bell, getting him out in space when defenses crowded the box. Their linemen were effective pass setting and pulling. But they were not built like Tennessee’s. They did not push defenses off the ball."

2. "When you watch the Steelers linemen in these GIFs, even on the successful plays shown above, you see a lot of positional blocking. This means the linemen are trying to gain body position on the defender and shield them from the back. Watch David DeCastro (66) in the clip above, or Villanueva on Benny Snell’s run. They do not fire off of the football and try to displace defenders vertically the way Tennessee’s linemen do. Rather, they are trying to gain horizontal leverage and turn them. It is a style better suited for a Le’Veon Bell-type back than for Conner and Snell."

I kinda figured it was something like this, but am not knowledgeable enough to evaluate how valid this all is. But it makes sense. Build your team do to one thing, then have to transition to doing another...going to take a minute.
    So does all that mean we really need to find a shifty back not a road grader?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    So does all that mean we really need to find a shifty back not a road grader?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    No idea. Maybe? Or maybe they shift the blocking schemes? Or maybe a return to pretty good QB play makes all of this go away?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

No idea. Maybe? Or maybe they shift the blocking schemes? Or maybe a return to pretty good QB play makes all of this go away?
    Both would help.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh