Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher elected to the Hall of Fame

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher elected to the Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    If Johnson doesn't get in then there is something wrong with the voting. Turn Dallas around with the Walker trade and then won 3 SB's making the team a Dynasty.
    Won 2 then bailed and did little with his subsequent gig in Miami before only coaching for a decade in the NFL - very similar career to Madden with one more Lombardi

Probably at least as deserving as Coach Cowher but other coaches who made the career mistake of not doing pregame shows work have good cases too - Buddy Parker could not do TV after coaching championship teams for the Lions in the early 50s

My cynicism about the NFL milking this with the TV notifications of Johnson and Cowher of their selections influences my views

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Won 2 then bailed and did little with his subsequent gig in Miami before only coaching for a decade in the NFL - very similar career to Madden with one more Lombardi

Probably at least as deserving as Coach Cowher but other coaches who made the career mistake of not doing pregame shows work have good cases too - Buddy Parker could not do TV after coaching championship teams for the Lions in the early 50s

My cynicism about the NFL milking this with the TV notifications of Johnson and Cowher of their selections influences my views
    My bad and was think he won 3. I know Barry won the one against us. Yea the TV thing is kinda not cool.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If Jerry Jones is in the hall, it wouldn't be right for Johnson not to be in. He built the Dallas Dynasty, then parted ways with Dallas after disagreements between him and Jerry stemming from Jerry being butthurt over Jimmy getting more of the credit for building that team

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If Jerry Jones is in the hall, it wouldn't be right for Johnson not to be in. He built the Dallas Dynasty, then parted ways with Dallas after disagreements between him and Jerry stemming from Jerry being butthurt over Jimmy getting more of the credit for building that team
    I have no issue with Johnson getting in since the HOF is in a lot of ways the Pro Bowl popularity contest on steroids

But Jerry getting in had a lot to do with him leading the way in monetizing franchise values into the stratosphere in addition to winning two Lombardis followed by a quarter century of mediocrity on the field

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He won with Cowher’s players.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Why was he announced before everyone else?
    To promote the NFL since they had a national audience. They did the same thing with Jimmie Johnson last night. Smart marketing by the NFL. Yes he won only 2 Superbowls but I have no problem looking at a guys WHOLE career and what they contributed to football not just the NFL. Johnson has a long history of football, just like Cowher.

Now Wednesday morning Troy can join Bill.

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Congrats Coach! Certainly well deserved.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Cowher deserves it. Will he be on Dancing with the Stars next?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

A donk HOF induction.

I’m kidding. Well deserved.

I can’t wait to see that chin immortalized in bronze. It would be great if they put a little bit of spittle dripping off of it.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

CAAARRRRRR PAAAARRRRRRRRRRR

Apparently the "centennial class" HOF selection process by which Cowher and Johnson got in has been hijacked from achieving its original purpose and now is going to result in some sort of separate kid's table induction ceremony

The motivation for the class was to account for players from the first 30 years or so of the NFL. The Hall opened in 1963, so naturally, it was always a little more difficult for those from the league’s earliest time to get in....

The 15 in the centennial class won’t be inducted at the normal August ceremony, but the five modern-day inductees will go in as the usually would. A separate ceremony for the group of 15 hasn’t been announced, but the thought it is it’ll be in early fall.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/13/bi...nfl-news-notes

Peter King, who takes the HOF seriously, is not a fan of how this is shaping up

The key to this Centennial Class should be the old timers. We stress out about the people in our lifetime who we think have been bypassed in the process. The selection of two modern coaches closes out any chance for strong candidates like Buddy Parker, a running back for Detroit who won one championship as a player in the thirties and two more as Lions coach in the fifties—beating Paul Brown in both in the process. As I wrote when this process was announced, this should not be the cleanup class for hotly debated candidates of the last 30 years.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...?cid=nbcsports

But the surprise notifications this weekend made for good TV along with adding some juice to the Fox and CBS studio shows, so the NFL PR machine wins again.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree, but isn't it funny how many posters bitch about his "3 yards and a cloud of mediocrity" offense and how he couldn't win enough super bowls? I find it amusing how Hall of Famers aren't good enough for some Steeler fans.
    Nope. Not at all, since I'm the one who brought that phrase to these here forums. Just because he's a HOF coach didn't mean he didn't have shortcomings. But, this isn't the forum to rain on the Cowher HOF parade, so what say we drop it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nope. Not at all, since I'm the one who brought that phrase to these here forums. Just because he's a HOF coach didn't mean he didn't have shortcomings. But, this isn't the forum to rain on the Cowher HOF parade, so what say we drop it.
    Bravo!!!

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

I wish I could make some spit fly out of my typed words , way to go Bill . I never minded Bill Cower .
    Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Bill is mean and he made Kordell cry in front of national TV.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Bill is mean and he made Kordell cry in front of national TV.
    But they kissed and made up.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

12-9 in the playoff with mediocre QB's until Ben at the tail end of his career.

Winner of nearly half of his red flag challenges, ( 27 for 59 )

10 playoff appearances in 15 years

Seldom below leads.

5-1 with Ben in the playoffs