Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premier running back would return Steelers to championship level

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Premier running back would return Steelers to championship level

The Steelers had two exceptionally talented RB’s for the better part of 5-6 years and won nothing with them.

Even if the Steelers had a great RB, he wouldn’t get the ball. The Steelers Offense is Ben throwing 40-50 times a game. That’s what their gameplan is until #7 retires.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Where is that premiere RB coming from and where is the money coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Interestingly, I saw a few articles and other internet things that argued that the Pats defense was set-up to allow Henry to ramble (I'm sure their plan was less than he did) and ensure that Tannehill and the new found Titans deep passing game didn't beat them. In a sense, it sorta worked. I mean they only scored 14 points. If the Pats offense had functioned this weekend, they likely win....

Not sure I totally buy into all that, but the article might be a bit of an over-reaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Cards and David Johnson. Had to trade for Kenyan Drake.

I'm sure the "truth" lies somewhere in the middle of "meh, any RB will do" and "Pay all RBs 15+ million dollars". Honestly, if Conner could stay healthy, none of this conversation would be taking place. He's pretty good when he is fully healthy.
    Belichicks theory as a DC for the Giants vs the Bills in the Super Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think both grow on trees...just like franchise QB's.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Interestingly, I saw a few articles and other internet things that argued that the Pats defense was set-up to allow Henry to ramble (I'm sure their plan was less than he did) and ensure that Tannehill and the new found Titans deep passing game didn't beat them. In a sense, it sorta worked. I mean they only scored 14 points. If the Pats offense had functioned this weekend, they likely win....

Not sure I totally buy into all that, but the article might be a bit of an over-reaction
    It certainly appeared DarthHoodius’ plan was to stop the passing game as he figured they could limit the running game for the most part. That all seemed to change when Henry ran up the field in 15yd chunks the entire first quarter. I don’t think the Titans had a third down on the first drive.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think both grow on trees...just like franchise QB's.
    Thought so...and in typical Steelers fashion, Tomlin and Colbert are in the wrong orchards!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Thought so...and in typical Steelers fashion, Tomlin and Colbert are in the wrong orchards!
    Yeah and the jury is still out on Tomlin, despite his .642 winning percentage being 2nd only to Belichek among active coaches and his 133 wins being 23rd all time. I think the Rooneys give him one more season to see if he can coach a team and then let him go.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Would have to be a R2 selection or not at all (definitely not free agency, can't afford). In any case I rather get a TE or OL. Our line is getting long in the tooth.

With that said if they did go RB in RD2, I wouldn't be mad or anything. I don't see any big time playmaker potential in anyone in the backfield other than Conner, who's often injured. Maybe Whyte but he's still untested and a little undersized to be a workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Would have to be a R2 selection or not at all (definitely not free agency, can't afford). In any case I rather get a TE or OL. Our line is getting long in the tooth.

This is early pimping of an interior lineman for me. Caesar Ruiz allowed 8 pressures this season according to PFF and is coming out early. Some projections had him in the 5th round, so maybe the Steelers can get him in the 4th and he doesn't have to start right away. 6'4", 319Lbs and is a Center that played guard in 2018.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

Let's assume the Steelers can maneuver their salary cap to re-sign Bud Dupree and B.J. Finney. Should the front office sign both, the Steelers, I believe, would be on the verge of possessing a championship-caliber roster.
    https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ers-141767337/
    I said this in some thread the past few weeks. If we had a healthy Ben and a guy like Derrick Henry we would/could win the AFC. I think our top two targets in the draft should be RB/TE (assuming Ben is able to play), then worry about a QB in 2021's draft.

Our defense is good enough to win NOW, and had Ben stayed healthy I don't think our O-line would have been as bad because Ben would have made the hot reads and not taken the sacks that the other two guys did. With a legit RB and TE this offense could be really good again. Image Washington and DJ with Ben throwing to them? They both got much better as the season went along with a garbage QB tossing the rock.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    People get all bent out of shape when they hear running team=not many points. The truth is, a dominant running game eats up a lot of clock. That limits the number of possessions in a game by both teams. Naturally, the scores are lower, but that is by design. If you can run the ball and execute long drives, it limits how many times your opponent's offense gets the ball. It also gives your defense a lot of rest which makes them more effective. You own the time of possession and it wears down the opponent's defense and demoralizes them. A power running game also really comes in handy when you are trying to get into a 4 minute offense to run out the clock and finish games.

It is always better having an offense that can run the ball well and pass the ball at will that can score tons of points and run away from your opponents. The trick is being able to run the ball when the other team knows you are going to run. If you can do that as an offense, you are nearly unstoppable and you can dictate to your opponents.
    This ^^^^^

You could tell that the Pats wanted no part of tackling Henry in the 4th quarter.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Out of sight, out of mind. Patrick Taylor Jr(6'3"-227) was a massive part of the UM Tigers offense with Darrell Henderson and was supposed to be the main feature RB in 2019. Instead he spent 2019 healing from a week 1 injury vs Ole Miss. Taylor made his way back mid-November and played limited snaps. Averaged over 5 yards per carry for his 4 year college career. Shifty, fast, powerful runner that catches passes and runs the wildcat. Low mileage top tier RB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdWx9URhK4

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Out of sight, out of mind. Patrick Taylor Jr(6'3"-227) was a massive part of the UM Tigers offense with Darrell Henderson and was supposed to be the main feature RB in 2019. Instead he spent 2019 healing from a week 1 injury vs Ole Miss. Taylor made his way back mid-November and played limited snaps. Averaged over 5 yards per carry for his 4 year college career. Shifty, fast, powerful runner that catches passes and runs the wildcat. Low mileage top tier RB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdWx9URhK4

I like both RBs at Memphis.

Taylor is the big, physical runner that can really break tackles and move the chains. He runs like a man on the field. I don't know what type of time he will run at the combine, but he seems to have a pretty good burst for a big man. He doesn't show a lot of wiggle. He is a one-cut guy. I think his vision isn't always the best, but some of that could be that he is relying on his strength and power to overpower people. His time in the 40 and his hands will probably determine the interest from teams. He is probably a guy that has a chance to get better when he gets to the pros and he can't just run through everyone and has to work on his ability in the passing game and his elusiveness.

Gainwell is a real all-around talent that is a very good runner and is outstanding in the passing game. He was a redshirt freshman this season, but it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next year or two. He's very impressive and has a skillset that the NFL will really like.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I like both RBs at Memphis.

Taylor is the big, physical runner that can really break tackles and move the chains. He runs like a man on the field. I don't know what type of time he will run at the combine, but he seems to have a pretty good burst for a big man. He doesn't show a lot of wiggle. He is a one-cut guy. I think his vision isn't always the best, but some of that could be that he is relying on his strength and power to overpower people. His time in the 40 and his hands will probably determine the interest from teams. He is probably a guy that has a chance to get better when he gets to the pros and he can't just run through everyone and has to work on his ability in the passing game and his elusiveness.

Gainwell is a real all-around talent that is a very good runner and is outstanding in the passing game. He was a redshirt freshman this season, but it will be interesting to see how he develops over the next year or two. He's very impressive and has a skillset that the NFL will really like.
    Correct. Think about this as well. Gainwell was recruited as a WR. He played QB in highschool. Moved to RB when Taylor got hurt and let the broken ankles begin. He is an insane talent and an even better story. I think he has 2 more years in college though.