Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel 2020

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Coaching Carousel 2020

Redskins - Ron Rivera
    Cowboys - Mike McCarthy
    Panthers - Matt Rhule
    Giants - Joe Judge
    Browns - ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Coaching Carousel 2020

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Redskins - Ron Rivera
    Cowboys - Mike McCarthy
    Panthers - Matt Rhule
    Giants - Joe Judge
    Browns - ?????

Browns - Wade Phillips???

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Browns asked permission to speak with Eagles DC Jim Schwartz. I think they asked for Josh McDaniels as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

I'm going to laugh me arse off if the Browns hire McDaniels.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Not an impressive lineup of new hires.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

At least Rhule is something new. Not the same old retreads and desperate attempts to copy some other teams success.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Rhule is the most promising of the hire. McCarthy and Rivera are retreads in attempts to excite the fanbase and Joe Judge is yet another Belichick disciple. Rhule helped turned traditional laugher in Temple into a winner and quickly rebuilt Baylor into a national playoff contender after the wreckage of the assault scandal and seems to be high energy guy who gets the most out of his players (from what little I have seen and heard). My only issue is how he translates that into the pro game

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    He is from Cleveland apparently, so it would not shock me if they did.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Rhule is the most promising of the hire. McCarthy and Rivera are retreads in attempts to excite the fanbase and Joe Judge is yet another Belichick disciple. Rhule helped turned traditional laugher in Temple into a winner and quickly rebuilt Baylor into a national playoff contender after the wreckage of the assault scandal and seems to be high energy guy who gets the most out of his players (from what little I have seen and heard). My only issue is how he translates that into the pro game
    I agree with you that how Rhule's leadership translates to the pro game will be the big question mark. He was an assistant under Tom Coughlin for 1 year, so maybe gleans some insight from that, or maybe he is just the next Petrino, Spurrier, Saban. I think McCarthy and Rivera are proven winners that are going to franchises without any clear leadership or culture...other than too much interference by their owners. IMO, putting a college guy to work under Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones is a recipe for disaster.

I still am a bit surprised that Eric Bienemy or Byron Leftwich were not interviewed at all for some of these vacancies.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree with you that how Rhule's leadership translates to the pro game will be the big question mark. He was an assistant under Tom Coughlin for 1 year, so maybe gleans some insight from that, or maybe he is just the next Petrino, Spurrier, Saban. I think McCarthy and Rivera are proven winners that are going to franchises without any clear leadership or culture...other than too much interference by their owners. IMO, putting a college guy to work under Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones is a recipe for disaster.

I still am a bit surprised that Eric Bienemy or Byron Leftwich were not interviewed at all for some of these vacancies.
    I have been hearing Eric "Sleeping with" Bienemy's name being mentioned a few times but haven't seen or heard anything about him getting an interview.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Those are the two I would be interviewing.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Giants go with Pats special teams coach Judge after apparently not being able to meet Danny Smith’s contract demands

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Giants go with Pats special teams coach Judge after apparently not being able to meet Danny Smith’s contract demands
    Giants don't provide enough gum. Only Sean Payton would have a "chance" at Danny Smith.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I have been hearing Eric "Sleeping with" Bienemy's name being mentioned a few times but haven't seen or heard anything about him getting an interview.
    Giants allegedly interviewed Bieniemy

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/s...core-ios-share

Giants also have received permission from Dallas to interview Jason Garrett for OC

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/g...or-per-report/

This appears to set up McDaniels to the Browns - Dorsey being canned as GM last week alleged to be tied to McDaniels saying he would not consider Browns job if Dorsey stayed

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/202...urces-say.html

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I was expecting Leftwich to get some attention as well. I think next year he will get an opportunity if the Bucs offense produces again.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It'll be interesting to see what Carolina does. Do they do a quick rebuild and tank for Lawrence in 2021? Tepper has been having talks about moving the Panthers headquarters to South Carolina(hearing Rock Hill), so why not go after the best QB prospect that also plays in the same state? and I'm not sure how much time Cam Newton has, the toll of hits due to running is catching up. Think they could get a 3rd or 4th for him on the trade market(Bears?)

Collect picks and build for 2021 and on.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    At least Rhule is something new. Not the same old retreads and desperate attempts to copy some other teams success.
    Allegedly he preferred the Giants job if the $$$ matched. That is as old school mercenary as it gets - maybe he planned to go back to the Panthers owner to weedle out a few more $$.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Bieniemy got an interview, but I heard that there is some concern because he doesn't call the plays. Reid has always handled the play calling. It would certainly help if he showed that he was fully running the offense and could demonstrate creativity and application within that dynamic offense.

With that said, he isn't interviewing for another OC position. He is interviewing for a head coach position. When special teams coaches are getting jobs, I think teams need to be able to make that leap. I don't really know the man or how he would present himself in the room during an interview.

I think the time has come for less retreads and more imaginative, young minds to enter the game as coaches. I'm sure there are a lot of good men of all colors that would be inspiring voices and great leaders of men in NFL locker rooms. You would think there would be more black coaches in a game where so many black men have spent their entire lives playing the sport and moving into coaching positions. At the same time, there are guys like Mike Zimmer that didn't get a look until he was nearly 60 years old, so who can explain this stuff.

I won't try to understand what is going on in the minds of NFL owners. What I do know is that there is a tremendous amount of untapped potential out there for those that are smart enough to hire them, and brave enough to take a chance on a new generation of NFL coaches.

Allegedly he preferred the Giants job if the $$$ matched. That is as old school mercenary as it gets - maybe he planned to go back to the Panthers owner to weedle out a few more $$.

Good way to start.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Bieniemy got an interview, but I heard that there is some concern because he doesn't call the plays. Reid has always handled the play calling. It would certainly help if he showed that he was fully running the offense and could demonstrate creativity and application within that dynamic offense.

With that said, he isn't interviewing for another OC position. He is interviewing for a head coach position. When special teams coaches are getting jobs, I think teams need to be able to make that leap. I don't really know the man or how he would present himself in the room during an interview.

I think the time has come for less retreads and more imaginative, young minds to enter the game as coaches. I'm sure there are a lot of good men of all colors that would be inspiring voices and great leaders of men in NFL locker rooms. You would think there would be more black coaches in a game where so many black men have spent their entire lives playing the sport and moving into coaching positions. At the same time, there are guys like Mike Zimmer that didn't get a look until he was nearly 60 years old, so who can explain this stuff.

I won't try to understand what is going on in the minds of NFL owners. What I do know is that there is a tremendous amount of untapped potential out there for those that are smart enough to hire them, and brave enough to take a chance on a new generation of NFL coaches.
    All of this.

My take is most owners are vain egomaniacs who know very little about football. Therefore, they are most interested in hiring whatever HC will get them the least initial wave of bad press not the "best" candidate.

Basically, risk averse to an extreme.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He apparently was born in New York City and spent some of his childhood there, so that was probably a factor

- - - Updated - - -

I would be thinking Bienemy would be a good catch for some though a legitimate question is how much of the offenses success is from the supreme ability of Mahomes. Leftwich, I would wait until he has more experience before going after

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    He apparently was born in New York City and spent some of his childhood there, so that was probably a factor
    No question Giants job is the higher profile gig for a cornerstone franchise in the biggest media market but it is all about the $$

In a lot of lines of work if the employer finds out you are shopping the offer to get someone else to match it you are told good luck getting hired somewhere else

Not a good look for Rhule having that leaked by the Giants and an embarrassment for Panthers owner Tepper - nobody likes to know they are the prom date only because someone else said no thanks

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

No question Giants job is the higher profile gig for a cornerstone franchise in the biggest media market but it is all about the $$

In a lot of lines of work if the employer finds out you are shopping the offer to get someone else to match it you are told good luck getting hired somewhere else

Not a good look for Rhule having that leaked by the Giants and an embarrassment for Panthers owner Tepper - nobody likes to know they are the prom date only because someone else said no thanks

If the Giants wanted him that badly, they should have gotten their asses on a plane and interviewed him first rather than interviewing 6 other people first. I think this situation explains why the Giants are a once-proud franchise that have become a bit of a joke. If he was really their man, they should have pursued him vigorously and offered him a nice contract. Leaking the information only makes the Giants look more ridiculous IMO, because Rhule wanted to be there.

Then they get all red-assed because they don't like the way it went down.

Good teams take control of the situation and they make things happen to get their guy.

That's today's lesson in How Not to Run a Franchise 101.

If the Giants wanted him that badly, they should have gotten their asses on a plane and interviewed him first rather than interviewing 6 other people first. I think this situation explains why the Giants are a once-proud franchise that have become a bit of a joke. If he was really their man, they should have pursued him vigorously and offered him a nice contract. Leaking the information only makes the Giants look more ridiculous IMO, because Rhule wanted to be there.

Then they get all red-assed because they don't like the way it went down.

Good teams take control of the situation and they make things happen to get their guy.

That's today's lesson in How Not to Run a Franchise 101.
    Oh I agree the Giants screwed up by ending up with a Pats special teams coach and now having to interview Jason Garrett for OC because their new HC has so little experience. Trashing Rhule with the leak about him seeking a match of the Panthers deal because they could not sign him is petty

But once Rhule presumably tells the Panthers that contract number works for me shopping it to the Giants for a match is a bad look. This is not going online to another car dealer for a better price - unlike players, who need to squeeze out every $$$ from competing offers and will be cut loose from their non-guaranteed contracts in a heartbeat, the HC is the face of team management and needs to spout all the platitudes about team building and loyalty to the organization.

Oh I agree the Giants screwed up by ending up with a Pats special teams coach and now having to interview Jason Garrett for OC because their new HC has so little experience. Trashing Rhule with the leak about him seeking a match of the Panthers deal because they could not sign him is petty

But once Rhule presumably tells the Panthers that contract number works for me shopping it to the Giants for a match is a bad look. This is not going online to another car dealer for a better price - unlike players, who need to squeeze out every $$$ from competing offers and will be cut loose from their non-guaranteed contracts in a heartbeat, the HC is the face of team management and needs to spout all the platitudes about team building and loyalty to the organization.

You are correct. It isn't a good look for Rhule to be trying to get the Giants to match. Of that there is not doubt. The fact that the Giants don't understand that by leaking that information, the are making themselves look like fools is hilarious to me.

What Rhule did reinforces that he wanted to be with the Giants, and if the team really wanted him they should have gotten on a plane and gone to him at his home to try to land him like Tepper did.

Bieniemy got an interview, but I heard that there is some concern because he doesn't call the plays. Reid has always handled the play calling. It would certainly help if he showed that he was fully running the offense and could demonstrate creativity and application within that dynamic offense. .
    IMO its not so much as showing creativity in playcalling or running an offense on gameday that builds experience to be a HC. When you are a coordinator, you manage all the aspects under you such as the position groups, position coaches, etc. Its having the experience to manage essentially half the team, commanding the respect of those you manage and inspiring them to a degree. Its too bad that Bienemy didn't get the consideration that Doug Pedersen did, or maybe he isn't the leader that Pedersen is.

The Special teams coach hire is a bit odd, but the guy does interact with pretty much every position group, as they all have a hand in ST, but he doesn't necessarily manage the position coaches under him. I guess its why the only ST guy we can think of getting a head coach job was Harbaugh.

A guy can be a great designer of offenses or defenses, a great situational playcaller, etc. but if he doesn't manage people well, lead them, effectively communicate to them or somehow inspire them to all buy into striving for greatness and truly working together towards a common goal...then its tough to be a good Head Coach IMO.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Oh I agree the Giants screwed up by ending up with a Pats special teams coach..............
    It's a bit early to take that position isn't it?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    Same here. I had a front row seat for the dumpster fire that was the Broncos when he coached them for 2 seasons.

IMO its not so much as showing creativity in playcalling or running an offense on gameday that builds experience to be a HC. When you are a coordinator, you manage all the aspects under you such as the position groups, position coaches, etc. Its having the experience to manage essentially half the team, commanding the respect of those you manage and inspiring them to a degree. Its too bad that Bienemy didn't get the consideration that Doug Pedersen did, or maybe he isn't the leader that Pedersen is.

The Special teams coach hire is a bit odd, but the guy does interact with pretty much every position group, as they all have a hand in ST, but he doesn't necessarily manage the position coaches under him. I guess its why the only ST guy we can think of getting a head coach job was Harbaugh.

A guy can be a great designer of offenses or defenses, a great situational playcaller, etc. but if he doesn't manage people well, lead them, effectively communicate to them or somehow inspire them to all buy into striving for greatness and truly working together towards a common goal...then its tough to be a good Head Coach IMO.

I agree with everything you say here. I was simply pointing out the reasons that I'm hearing teams have some issues with Bieniemy that give them pause.

You are also correct about the special teams coaches. They address the entire team every single day and have access to the entire roster in a way that position coaches do not.

Again, my post wasn't to say why I wouldn't hire him. It is why teams may not. I like Bieniemy from everything I have heard about him or every time I have heard him speak. It's time the NFL hires more young coaches, particularly qualified coaches of color.
    Last edited by pczach; 01-08-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

McDaniels goes to the Browns. Brady follows. Why? They have a good receiving corps.

“What about Baker?
    ” Bench him & let him learn behind Brady... or... trade him.