Thread: Def Coord

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Def Coord

Just read that Wade Phillips is not going to coach for the Rams next season. Wishing the Steelers see this and offer him a contract yesterday. His defensive knowledge and our players would be amazing next season IMHO.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Def Coord

You sure? They were playing very well together.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Eh, I'm inclined to believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it even if the success of the defense had more to do with the high end talent and the addition of Minkah and his supreme football intellect than Keith Butler as a D-coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    You sure? They were playing very well together.
    Just saw the news online, so at this point it is a rumor.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not a rumor. He got fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Eh, I'm inclined to believe that if it ain't broke don't fix it even if the success of the defense had more to do with the high end talent and the addition of Minkah and his supreme football intellect than Keith Butler as a D-coordinator
    I hesitate also, given the performance of our defense. However, given the superior talent and what I think is a superior def coord running that talent, maybe Tomlin could focus on helping Fitchner out instead of basically being the DC.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'll pass on 72 year old Wade Philips, as the Steelers would have to replace him when he retires from old age. Father time is undefeated still.

I'd rather keep an eye out and see if the Cowboys new staff doesnt retain Marc Colombo as O line coach or see if Ben Wilkerson wants to leave the Giants as assistant O line coach and look at moving to Pittsburgh, where he could assist Sarrett (or maybe eventually replace him)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Meh. I’d rather just stick with Butler and go with the premise that he has the talent he needed and that the defense he was running before was being run with talent out of place...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Meh. I’d rather just stick with Butler and go with the premise that he has the talent he needed and that the defense he was running before was being run with talent out of place...
    Yeah, I’m with you on this one. Not sure Phillips can scheme better than Butler, and doesn’t know the personnel.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I wouldn't mess with what's working.

If they ever did make a move, I would hope they would get someone a little younger with some fresh ideas.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Yeah, I’m with you on this one. Not sure Phillips can scheme better than Butler, and doesn’t know the personnel.
    IMO Tomlin has been more directly involved in the defense for several years - in the second Browns game players said he was scheming up ways to stop some new looks by Cleveland at halftime.

Hard to believe Tomlin would demote Butler and bring in a legendary DC who would not fit well into a lesser role than Phillips had in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    IMO Tomlin has been more directly involved in the defense for several years - in the second Browns game players said he was scheming up ways to stop some new looks by Cleveland at halftime.

Hard to believe Tomlin would demote Butler and bring in a legendary DC who would not fit well into a lesser role than Phillips had in LA.
    I guess I read Butler was basically an overpaid LB coach now, since Tomlin has basically taken over the DC duties (which led to our Def resurgence). If that is actually the case, it would make sense to hire a DC so Tomlin can now focus on fixing the OC issues.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I guess I read Butler was basically an overpaid LB coach now, since Tomlin has basically taken over the DC duties (which led to our Def resurgence). If that is actually the case, it would make sense to hire a DC so Tomlin can now focus on fixing the OC issues.
    Would enjoy the very special episode of Hard Knocks 2020 for the look on Ben's face when Tomlin asks Randy to leave the room and tells the offense Tomlin is going to be more hands on with the offense in 2020

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It may be useful to consider, just for a moment, why Wade Phillips was fired. The current most detailed explanation for his contract not being renewed, was that Phillips wanted/did run his one gap version of the 3-4 each week, regardless of opponent and scenario. McVay, apparently, wants a DC who will make weekly and opponent specific adjustments within the structure of their defense.