Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16+ million in cap space if we cut the following players

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

16+ million in cap space if we cut the following players

The Steelers currently have $5,480,081 in cap space. We need more of it if we are going to re-sign Dupree, who I think earned it based on last years play, and plug a hole or two with a veteran free agent.

Of course, we should try to trade them first for " something " but it there are no takers, cutting the following players will give the Steelers a little over $16,000,000 in cap space

Barron. If cut the Steelers save 5.25 Million in cap space. The Steelers paid a hefty price to trade up and get Bush. While Barron did play better down the stretch but he's not worth what the Steelers are playing him.

Foster. The Steelers will save 4 million by cutting Foster. If he wants to restructure to a more cap-friendly number, okay. I doubt he will.

Chickillo. Vastly overpaid, the Steelers can cut him and save 5 million.

Berry. His finish to the season was horrible. I'm thinking the Steelers can cut him and save 1.8 million on the salary cap. A rookie free agent or a draft pick could cheaply replace Berry and upgrade the position. Who might the Steelers draft? Branden Mann averaged 51 and 47.1 yards a punt in the last two seasons ( Better than Berry ), but what's interesting about him is he's a punter who can tackle on special teams. Mann has 11 tackles and 1 forced fumble as a punter in the past two seasons, which is pretty much unheard of. He also ran it once for 15 yards. You can draft a punter and pay him 2.2 million for four years. Or keep Berry and pay him 2.175 million for 2020.

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

Re: 16+ million in caps space is we cut the following players

Burns,barron,chickilo,foster,vanette,mcdonald,berr y,holton,

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I'm cool with keeping Vanett, he's not that expensive is he? McDonald though is underachieved and should be gone

Member Array title="Blast Furnace is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I'm cool with keeping Vanett, he's not that expensive is he? McDonald though is underachieved and should be gone
    Get rid of McDonald, really? This years TE crop basically sucks, but you want to get rid of the best TE we have? No, the answer to actually use him in the passing game the way a TE is supposed to be used (not for fucking TE screens!) That would just leave another position you have to spend a draft pick on. We have enough holes to plug, we don’t need to create one. There really isn’t a TE in the draft as good as he is.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    Get rid of McDonald, really? This years TE crop basically sucks, but you want to get rid of the best TE we have? No, the answer to actually use him in the passing game the way a TE is supposed to be used (not for fucking TE screens!) That would just leave another position you have to spend a draft pick on. We have enough holes to plug, we don’t need to create one. There really isn’t a TE in the draft as good as he is.
    7 mil for an unreliable subpar TE, i'd rather keep Dupree or Hargrave if it means this guy leaving

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Berry should have been gone years ago, how many years of piss poor punting do they need before they get rid of him. Chickillo is useless, I still have no idea how he got 4 million a year. Both Berry and Chickillo are just two examples of this team's frustrating tendency to stick with awful players for far too long. Foster is old and a shell of his former self. He should be let go. Barron at that price is understandable, even if he was better down the stretch, as a backup for that price with Bush likely to command a bigger role is understandable (I'd rather see Bush on the field anyway, dude is a playmaker). I also agree with Vance McDonald. I keep hearing about him being a good option at TE but I don't see it. He is unreliable, often injured and doesn't make an impact commensurate with his salary.

Without Munchak's wizard-like coaching abilities, Steelers need to invest in o-line help, guys with refined abilities and experience in being good linemen. They're probably going to be expensive but without proper coaching it is necessary. A good vet WR may be in order as well

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blast Furnace View Post
    Seems like Hunter Henry May be able to be had for a bit cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I am all good BTW getting rid of all those players and filling them with street free agents or players currently on the roster.

There are a TON of free agent TEs this year. Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry (probably a long shot), Jacob Hollister, Eric Tomlinson, Darren Fells, Ricky Seals-Jones, Tyler Eifert (if you want to take that injury risk)...there’s a good amount of 29 and under guys out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I am all good BTW getting rid of all those players and filling them with street free agents or players currently on the roster.

There are a TON of free agent TEs this year. Eric Ebron, Hunter Henry (probably a long shot), Jacob Hollister, Eric Tomlinson, Darren Fells, Ricky Seals-Jones, Tyler Eifert (if you want to take that injury risk)...there’s a good amount of 29 and under guys out there.
    x2

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    7 mil for an unreliable subpar TE, i'd rather keep Dupree or Hargrave if it means this guy leaving
    EXACTLY!!!

Why people bitch about Dupree, Washington, Barron, Sean Davis or anybody underperforming and give Vance McDonald slack is the dumbest thing on Steelers message boards. Look at a 7 year veteran that averages 275 receiving yards and 2 TD's a season...……..BUST!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    x2
    X3

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    EXACTLY!!!

Why people bitch about Dupree, Washington, Barron, Sean Davis or anybody underperforming and give Vance McDonald slack is the dumbest thing on Steelers message boards. Look at a 7 year veteran that averages 275 receiving yards and 2 TD's a season...……..BUST!
    Well, McDonald @ 270 lbs stiff-arming a very high tackle attempt by Conte @ 200 lbs covers over reality.

How many remember this stiff arm from another high tackle attempt?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Well, McDonald @ 270 lbs stiff-arming a very high tackle attempt by Conte @ 200 lbs covers over reality.

How many remember this stiff arm from another high tackle attempt?

Shoes....was that really necessary?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Shoes....was that really necessary?
    Perspective.

Perspective.
    After such a humiliating play, I can’t in good conscience support TJ’s bid for DPOY.

After such a humiliating play, I can’t in good conscience support TJ’s bid for DPOY.
    Well to his credit he jumped right back to his feet and went after jackson again.

Well to his credit he jumped right back to his feet and went after jackson again.
    I think it was more of a quick look around......whew....no one saw that.....

I think it was more of a quick look around......whew....no one saw that.....

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 16+ million in cap space if we cut the following players

Joking aside...

The Bills have some core studs, bunch of young (cheap) players, and one veteran at each position (for leadership).

Cut those middling guys (Chickillo, Barron, Berry, Foster, McDonald), extend the studs (Watt, Dupree), keep one veteran for each position (Heyward, Bince), and fill in the rest of the roster with cheap/young players (Olaqwerty, Cain).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Joking aside...

The Bills have some core studs, bunch of young (cheap) players, and one veteran at each position (for leadership).

Cut those middling guys (Chickillo, Barron, Berry, Foster, McDonald), extend the studs (Watt, Dupree), keep one veteran for each position (Heyward, Bince), and fill in the rest of the roster with cheap/young players (Olaqwerty, Cain).
    Great plan. I'm starting to move away from Colberts insistence on a "proven veteran" for depth at every spot. Roll with the younglings and see who is strong in the force.

On another note, at what point does the team ask Ben to put up or shut up? Talks all the time about sacrifice for team. How about you do a little with that contract to help free up some money?

Steelers Depot had an article recently detailing how the CBA rules basically prevent the restructuring of anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Great plan. I'm starting to move away from Colberts insistence on a "proven veteran" for depth at every spot. Roll with the younglings and see who is strong in the force.

On another note, at what point does the team ask Ben to put up or shut up? Talks all the time about sacrifice for team. How about you do a little with that contract to help free up some money?

Steelers Depot had an article recently detailing how the CBA rules basically prevent the restructuring of anyone else.
    Colbert kept too many vets. I get why. But, now... it’s time to cut some of the aging players. Here’s the vets who I’d keep

OLB: Dupree, Watt
    ILB: Bince
    DL: Heyward (Tuitt, Hargrave)
    DBs: Haden (Nelson)
    O-Line: Pouncey, AV
    TE: go young
    RB: go young
    WR: n/a

Once the new CBA comes, it should be easier for Omar Khan to restructure things.

I’m of the stance that Ben plays out his contract and we get some relief once he’s gone (a lot of back-loaded contracts).

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Perspective.
    For perspective, have you looked up what Vance McDonald got paid over the last 3 years compared to what George Kittle got paid over the last 3 years and their production?

McDonald has something like 1,000 yds receiving in 3 years compared to Kittle's 3,000 yds receiving, but the Steelers traded the 49ers for McDroptheball and paid him a few million more.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

For perspective, have you looked up what Vance McDonald got paid over the last 3 years compared to what George Kittle got paid over the last 3 years and their production?

McDonald has something like 1,000 yds receiving in 3 years compared to Kittle's 3,000 yds receiving, but the Steelers traded the 49ers for McDroptheball and paid him a few million more.

The only thing McDonald has shown is that he can be easily replaced for less money.

Don’t let Shoes see that. Sure has been hard to replace Heath.

Agreed! I have heartburn daily over not drafting Kittle

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Agreed! I have heartburn daily over not drafting Kittle

If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone! Every time I watch him play, I get sick to my stomach knowing we should have had him.

I know you took it harder than anyone.....by a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone! Every time I watch him play, I get sick to my stomach knowing we should have had him.

I know you took it harder than anyone.....by a lot!
    I mean it would have made it a little easier if Kettle was taken in R1, R2 or even R3. I was in shock when the Steelers didn't take him in R4. I was sure they would, I still can't believe it.

I mean it would have made it a little easier if Kettle was taken in R1, R2 or even R3. I was in shock when the Steelers didn't take him in R4. I was sure they would, I still can't believe it.

It was intensely painful, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It was intensely painful, no doubt.
    Move on guys.

Move on guys.
    Take a hike Mr.