Thread: Steelers Offensive Identity and O-Line Stance

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Steelers Offensive Identity and O-Line Stance

I recently saw Charley Casserly talking about a teams "Identity" and he mentioned SF as a team that has a "physical running game on offense and attacking style defense". It got me questioning "what is the Steelers identity on offense and how does their O line stance influence that?".

The Steelers generally employ a set of 2-point stances in their O linemen, except the TE's or an extra O lineman like Banner. Its more of a pass protection set IMO, but obviously you can run out of it, while you don't have as much forward leverage as a 3 point stance.

Other teams like SF, Seattle, Baltimore, etc. employ a 3 point stance with more forward leverage, which looks more like a traditional run blocking stance. I think those teams may use more of that look to run play action off of, once the run has been established.

I think I come to the opinion that the Steelers are a pass first offense and the line stance is reflective of that. It likely made any chance of leaning on the run game with inexperienced QB's a bit more challenging.

Might be interesting over the weekend Wildcard games to watch what teams employ a 3 point stance on 1st downs and what ones use a 2-point.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Steelers Offensive Identity and O-Line Stance

they're cheating by using a 3 point stance, allowing them to rack up dong yards in the running game

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You are spot on.

Seattle, San Francisco, and Baltimore are three of the most run dominant teams in the entire league. It would be surprising if their line did not reflect that.

I believe that the 2 point stance preference for the Steelers was for two reasons. The first so that a leaky o-line started holding out the pass rush. Munchak's mantra is to stay square and have a solid base -- seems easier to do against all types of pass rushers when you start from a 2 point stance. I have no idea. The other is that Bell's running style wasn't to pick a hole and go. It was to wait, let the defense commit, and then hit a crease. This may, and again I have no real idea, benefit from a more passive offensive line approach.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You are spot on.

Seattle, San Francisco, and Baltimore are three of the most run dominant teams in the entire league. It would be surprising if their line did not reflect that.

I believe that the 2 point stance preference for the Steelers was for two reasons. The first so that a leaky o-line started holding out the pass rush. Munchak's mantra is to stay square and have a solid base -- seems easier to do against all types of pass rushers when you start from a 2 point stance. I have no idea. The other is that Bell's running style wasn't to pick a hole and go. It was to wait, let the defense commit, and then hit a crease. This may, and again I have no real idea, benefit from a more passive offensive line approach.
    You will see some teams that employ a 3 point on most downs, but will use a 2-point in obvious passing downs, or just put their OT's in 2point for passing downs. The benefit is getting the OT's in kick slide faster to handle speed rushers off the edge. Something tells me we will see the Titans and Patriots do that. Lewan gonna have a hand in the dirt on 1st down, but 3rd and 8 he is in 2 point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    they're cheating by using a 3 point stance, allowing them to rack up dong yards in the running game
    Good point. You know, if you take away the long runs by some of these running backs, their average isn't that good. FWP was all about the dong yardage.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I hope that after tomorrow you can change your avatar to Lamar Jackson!

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I hope that after tomorrow you can change your avatar to Lamar Jackson!
    will do (if the pats lose)

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Good point. You know, if you take away the long runs by some of these running backs, their average isn't that good. FWP was all about the dong yardage.
    Pretty much. After all, willie is just another word for dong

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Pretty much. After all, willie is just another word for dong
    Wasn’t his position coach Dick Hoak?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If the O-Line is in a two point stance (mainly the Guards) and the defense is coming at you from a three point stance, you’re automatically at a disadvantage in the run game. Those D-Linemen will get right underneath and get the push. A little different for the Tackles because they are most likely facing an edge rusher that could be in a two point stand. But if you have a guy like TJ Watt coming at you from a three point stand and you are in a two point, you’re most likely not winning that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler