Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    John Harbaugh:
    2019: 0-1 in playoffs
    2018: 0-1 in playoffs
    2017: Missed playoffs
    2016: Missed playoffs
    2015: Missed playoffs
    2014: 1-1 in playoffs
    2013: Missed playoffs

Mike Tomlin:
    2019: Missed playoffs
    2018: Missed playoffs
    2017: 0-1 in playoffs
    2016: 2-1 in playoffs
    2015: 1-1 in playoffs
    2014: 0-1 in playoffs

Explain to me how Harbaugh is “obviously” better...
    Neither is better. Although Harbaugh is the better douche/whiner.
    Really hard to argue and conclude that one is obviously better than the other...the stats back it up.
    They’re both good coaches, they build tough teams that play hard.
    If either was fired they’d have new jobs waiting for them.
    Joe Judge, Stefanski, Rhule...enough said.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Harbaugh lost last night as a 9 point home favorite with the NFL MVP at QB after braying like this during the season

"I mean, to me it's on us as coaches," Harbaugh said on the Pardon My Take podcast. "Like our job is to make sure that we do everything we can to create this offense that, I would say, that well, the league has never seen before since like 1950. So, like what comes around goes around. It's not evolution, it's revolution."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-not-evolution

That attitude was after losing as a home favorite last season in the playoffs to a gimmick defense by the Chargers that the Pats obliterated the following week

I believe Harbaugh is a very good coach, even though it was regarded as likely he was done in Baltimore when he dumped Flacco for Jackson in 2018. But you are measured by your performance in the playoffs and Harbaugh's is even worse since his Super Bowl win than that of Tomlin, for which Tomlin gets roasted.

If you claim you are revolutionizing football you best win to back it up.
    Yep there are a lot of things to not like about Harbaugh, and his team did lose as 9 point favorites at home no less. That being said he's beaten us with less of a team and has done so in the playoffs. I would go so far as to say he got the most out of Jaskcon this year and while there was a lot of hype he got his team and maybe even a few others to buy into it. I was not surprised in the least that they lost last night, but they did have a helluva run. We damn near beat them earlier this year with a rookie QB. The one thing it takes is a very good D and the Titans have a very solid D and a pretty good game plan. I hope we do the same next year when Ben comes back. I hope that this year Mike has turned the tables. We shall see.

FWIW I give Tomlin credit for what happened this year, and I am looking forward to what happens next year with Ben.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

as a side note I can't help but wonder how much of our lack of success could be contributed to A.B. and all of his drama along with the drama of Lev Bell.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    I would argue that the most important position on any team is the QB. If you agree Mike has Ben and John does not have an elite QB, and that is the difference. Doing more with less.

To that point this year was an exceptional year for Mike with 2 rookie QBs. He was able to build a D that carried the team, and we were in every game. We missed the playoffs this year, but next year if we keep the D mostly intact and bring back a healthy Ben then let's see how things turn out. Again I hope Mike has turned the corner but will see how he does next season.
    But... Joe Flacco was elite.

I think John Harbaugh is an outstanding coach. My post/point is that people who have been saying that he’s head & shoulders better than Tomlin, specifically citing Harbaugh’s playoff record. I see it as Steelers fans having a Cobra, but complaining that they don’t have a Stingray... when neither fanbase has a Lamborghini.

Second part: agreed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Neither is better. Although Harbaugh is the better douche/whiner.
    Really hard to argue and conclude that one is obviously better than the other...the stats back it up.
    They’re both good coaches, they build tough teams that play hard.
    If either was fired they’d have new jobs waiting for them.
    Joe Judge, Stefanski, Rhule...enough said.
    ^^THIS^^

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

John Harbaugh:
    2019: 0-1 in playoffs
    2018: 0-1 in playoffs
    2017: Missed playoffs
    2016: Missed playoffs
    2015: Missed playoffs
    2014: 1-1 in playoffs

Mike Tomlin:
    2019: Missed playoffs
    2018: Missed playoffs
    2017: 0-1 in playoffs
    2016: 2-1 in playoffs
    2015: 1-1 in playoffs
    2014: 0-1 in playoffs

Explain to me how Harbaugh is “obviously” better...

This isn't easy to say because I hate the Ravens. Harbaugh is the better coach.

Quick question.

1 ) Over the years who has had the better talent the Ravens or Steelers? The Steelers is the correct answer. If you think the answer is the Ravens speak up and please explain why. Anyone up for that?

2 ) What is Harbaugh's playoff record? That would be 10-7, with a .588 winning percentage. Not bad. Tomlin's? 8-7, and most of the wins came early in his career with Bill Cowher players in their prime.

So by now posters should have acknowledged the Steelers have had more talent over the years and Harbaugh has a better playoff record...by far.

3 ) A good head coach puts his players in a position to win. Harbaugh had to integrate rookie Lamar Jackson as a quarterback, not the most accurate passer and a player who flunked the Wonderlic. Jackson pulled a 13. Yet he made it work. NFL Coaches and scouts generally don't like to pick a quarterback who scored under 17 on the Wonderlic. Harbaugh is the better game day coach, calling shots. Tomlin offers zero sideline coaching and doesn't call the plays. He does make the critical game by decisions such as when to go for it, when to throw the red flag, and when to punt...soemtimes he goes against the odds or does something really stupid like that fake punt this season, asking Jordan Berry to run for a first down.

4 ) Accodales. Harbaugh won coach of the year. Tomlin has not. And Harbaugh probably should have won it again this year. They gave it to Nagy, which wasn't a bad choice.

5 ) Personal Anecdote. I do know a current NFL coach who worked for Harbaugh ( coaches for another team now ) . We live in the same neighborhood, with children of similar age. One day at the tot lot, we got into a football conversation. His family is full of Steeler fans, so by no means is he anti Steelers. In his opinion, the Steelers were one of the easier teams in the NFL to prepare for, and thinks Tomlin and the DB's ( this conversation took place pre-Fitzpatrick and Nelson ) were the biggest reason why the Steelers can't breakthrough. No- I'm not going to reveal his name as what he told me about the Steelers and some of the issues his current team experienced are strictly off the record.

The sad thing is: he seems smart. Really. I was looking forward to debating with him in the off-season.

The guy seems to know draft picks... but, maybe that is simply cut-&-pasted, as well. Sad.
    My opinions are my own. I don't post anything here from Facebook, which is mostly lacking content on football. I might post something from Youtube relevant on the topic and see nothing wrong with that.

For those who feel the need to go ad hominem, well, that's just sad. You're lowering the board by doing this.

But to sum it up best, many of the Steelers minority owners wanted Tomlin out. Art Rooney II probably won't fire Tomlin but one more season that ends in collapse without a playoff win, and he might opt not to renew his contract.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There’s a chance that Harbaugh could win 2019 coach of the year. A very good chance but probably won’t beat out Shanahan. Nagy won in 2018, it hasn’t been awarded yet for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    My opinions are my own. I don't post anything here from Facebook
    See how this post has single spacing. The post above it has a double space between paragraphs. It’s a tell-tale sign of cutting-&-pasting.

Tell whomever actually wrote that post to join the board; they seem to have some good ideas (worth discussing).

Sidenote:
    It’s interesting how the discussion has suddenly shifted from the last 7 seasons/playoffs to the past 11 seasons/playoffs. It’s as though there is a correlation between Harbaugh getting upset in the playoffs and the Facebookers’ new & improved mantra.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

IF the Ravens blew through the playoffs and made it to, or won the SB, then you might have some ammo to declare Harbaugh the better of the two.

BUT, their flameout, despite having a “revolutionary offense” for the ages puts that notion to bed.

We get on Tomlin for his playoff failures...time to harp on Harbaugh’s.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Not sure how one and done in the playoffs qualified Harbaugh for coach of the year. Hell, two years in a row.....six rings and many others here would be calling for his firing......hell three missed playoffs before that and....well....you get idea...

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    IF the Ravens blew through the playoffs and made it to, or won the SB, then you might have some ammo to declare Harbaugh the better of the two.

BUT, their flameout, despite having a “revolutionary offense” for the ages puts that notion to bed.

We get on Tomlin for his playoff failures...time to harp on Harbaugh’s.
    ^^^THIS^^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Not sure how one and done in the playoffs qualified Harbaugh for coach of the year. Hell, two years in a row.....six rings and many others here would be calling for his firing......hell three missed playoffs before that and....well....you get idea...
    ^^^AND THIS^^^

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

My opinions are my own. I don't post anything here from Facebook, which is mostly lacking content on football. I might post something from Youtube relevant on the topic and see nothing wrong with that.

For those who feel the need to go ad hominem, well, that's just sad. You're lowering the board by doing this.

But to sum it up best, many of the Steelers minority owners wanted Tomlin out. Art Rooney II probably won't fire Tomlin but one more season that ends in collapse without a playoff win, and he might opt not to renew his contract.

Your posting is lowering the board.

Bringing up political reasons as justification for firing Tomlin is just a flat-out joke.

Your quest against Tomlin is a one-note samba that has you posting the same points over and over and over and over again.

You have been nabbed by several people doing the classic cut/paste of other people's posts here. Shitty posts as well...which makes it even worse that you would be dumb enough to jump on their points and reasoning and trying to use them as your own.

What the Steelers' minority owners want is irrelevant. It is the majority ownership that has made all the successful decisions over the years that have led to this teams success. The minority is in the background with no power at all and have done nothing to justify any faith in what they think or say. The fact that you are throwing this out there as if it has any substance at all or helps you make your case is sad. It's a shitty and bogus argument, as you are using any desperate attempt to justify your own feelings on the subject.

You've lost credibility, and doubling down with these ridiculous arguments just makes you look even worse.

I think that sums it up best.

See how this post has single spacing. The post above it has a double space between paragraphs. It’s a tell-tale sign of cutting-&-pasting.
    . The all BOLD type is bit of a give away too.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't post anything from Facebook but I do post things from YouTube.

Cool. So you admit you cut and paste from YouTube because none of your posts ever contain links.

Then you deny that you copy and paste. After you've clearly copied and pasted from somewhere.

Just own up to it and start putting in the links.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Mike Tomlin and Ben and the playoffs. Some interesting numbers.

Also several questions:

1. What game day play-calling and coaching does Harbaugh do?

2. If the team is so easy to prepare for, why don't the Ravens beat them more often? https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl...amvsteam?opp=3

3. Here is how Harbaugh has dealt with key injuries-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Baltimore_Ravens_season. That compared to Tomlin led teams how?

The BEST argument one can make on results is that it is a push between the two. Any attempt to put one head and shoulders in front of the other seems unwarranted.

But this was never about evidence or results, was it?

Also it's not ad hominen if the substance of your arguements, what little of it there is, are also countered.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This isn't easy to say because I hate the Ravens. Harbaugh is the better coach.

Quick question.

1 ) Over the years who has had the better talent the Ravens or Steelers? The Steelers is the correct answer. If you think the answer is the Ravens speak up and please explain why. Anyone up for that?

2 ) What is Harbaugh's playoff record? That would be 10-7, with a .588 winning percentage. Not bad. Tomlin's? 8-7, and most of the wins came early in his career with Bill Cowher players in their prime.

So by now posters should have acknowledged the Steelers have had more talent over the years and Harbaugh has a better playoff record...by far.

3 ) A good head coach puts his players in a position to win. Harbaugh had to integrate rookie Lamar Jackson as a quarterback, not the most accurate passer and a player who flunked the Wonderlic. Jackson pulled a 13. Yet he made it work. NFL Coaches and scouts generally don't like to pick a quarterback who scored under 17 on the Wonderlic. Harbaugh is the better game day coach, calling shots. Tomlin offers zero sideline coaching and doesn't call the plays. He does make the critical game by decisions such as when to go for it, when to throw the red flag, and when to punt...soemtimes he goes against the odds or does something really stupid like that fake punt this season, asking Jordan Berry to run for a first down.

4 ) Accodales. Harbaugh won coach of the year. Tomlin has not. And Harbaugh probably should have won it again this year. They gave it to Nagy, which wasn't a bad choice.

5 ) Personal Anecdote. I do know a current NFL coach who worked for Harbaugh ( coaches for another team now ) . We live in the same neighborhood, with children of similar age. One day at the tot lot, we got into a football conversation. His family is full of Steeler fans, so by no means is he anti Steelers. In his opinion, the Steelers were one of the easier teams in the NFL to prepare for, and thinks Tomlin and the DB's ( this conversation took place pre-Fitzpatrick and Nelson ) were the biggest reason why the Steelers can't breakthrough. No- I'm not going to reveal his name as what he told me about the Steelers and some of the issues his current team experienced are strictly off the record.

You post all this bullshit to try to crush Tomlin, yet it is you who points out Tomlin having so many Pro Bowl players yet losing in the playoffs.

Harbaugh's team had an unprecedented number of Pro Bowl players....they go one-and-done in the playoffs......and now he's a genius and better than Tomlin?????
    You bring up Lamar Jackson. Only you can turn Harbaugh having the runaway NFL MVP on his team and still losing as a positive!

You're a clown that gets exposed by using your own points against you. None of what you are saying makes sense based on everything that you have said previously....and you're the only one that doesn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Also several questions:

1. What game day play-calling and coaching does Harbaugh do?

2. If the team is so easy to prepare for, why don't the Ravens beat them more often? https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl...amvsteam?opp=3

3. Here is how Harbaugh has dealt with key injuries-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Baltimore_Ravens_season. That compared to Tomlin led teams how?

The BEST argument one can make on results is that it is a push between the two. Any attempt to put one head and shoulders in front of the other seems unwarranted.

But this was never about evidence or results, was it?

Also it's not ad hominen if the substance of your arguements, what little of it there is, are also countered.
    Hold on.

He’s searching on Facebook for a response...

Tell whomever actually wrote that post to join the board; they seem to have some good ideas (worth discussing).

Sidenote:
    It’s interesting how the discussion has suddenly shifted from the last 7 seasons/playoffs to the past 11 seasons/playoffs. It’s as though there is a correlation between Harbaugh getting upset in the playoffs and the Facebookers’ new & improved mantra.
    It's not a cut and past job from another site, or facebook, dude. That's just how I type sometimes. You are free to reply back on what I said below:

It's not a cut and past job from another site, or facebook, dude. That's just how I type sometimes. You are free to reply back on what I said below:

1) Harbaugh has 12 Pro Bowlers.

2) I replied to that earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You post all this bullshit to try to crush Tomlin, yet it is you who points out Tomlin having so many Pro Bowl players yet losing in the playoffs.

Harbaugh's team had an unprecedented number of Pro Bowl players....they go one-and-done in the playoffs......and now he's a genius and better than Tomlin?????
    You bring up Lamar Jackson. Only you can turn Harbaugh having the runaway NFL MVP on his team and still losing as a positive!

You're a clown that gets exposed by using your own points against you. None of what you are saying makes sense based on everything that you have said previously....and you're the only one that doesn't see it.

Stop crying and name calling and try to answer my questions. Over the years, who has had more talent, the Steelers or the Ravens? Well...

Now tell me why Harbaugh has a much better playoff records.

Did any famous X Ravens question their head coach? Well you do know Steeler legends and their monitory owner question Tomlin? WHY?

I credit Harbaugh for figuring out how to use Jackson best. He won coach year once, perhaps twice, which is something the under achieve Tomlin will never do.

You can not change the facts, I'm just presenting them.

1) Harbaugh has 12 Pro Bowlers.

2) I replied to that earlier.
    This year is not during the past several. I think the Steelers have had more talented and underacheived in comparison to the Ravens.

No you did not reply to my questions in the format that it was asked. Once again.

1 ) Over the years who has had the better talent the Ravens or Steelers? It's one to the other Teegre ( By the way are you from the DR? )

2 ) What is Harbaugh's playoff record? That would be 10-7, with a .588 winning percentage. Not bad. Tomlin's? 8-7, and most of the wins came early in his career with Bill Cowher players in their prime. Why is Harbaugh much better here? Do tell Teegre?

PS: It's hilarious that you think I'm some sort of imposter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I don't post anything from Facebook but I do post things from YouTube.

Cool. So you admit you cut and paste from YouTube because none of your posts ever contain links.

Then you deny that you copy and paste. After you've clearly copied and pasted from somewhere.

Just own up to it and start putting in the links.

And what's wrong with posting from You tube? I think most people are smart enough to know a You Tube post is not my production. DUH. You do know how to find a post from youtube without the post link, or maybe you don't.

Once again, nothing I post is from Facebook.

The news articles I have posted in the past do have links to them.

This year is not during the past several. I think the Steelers have had more talented and underacheived in companion to the Ravens.

No you did not reply to my questions int he format that it was asked. Once again.

1 ) Over the years who has had the better talent the Ravens or Steelers?

2 ) What is Harbaugh's playoff record? That would be 10-7, with a .588 winning percentage. Not bad. Tomlin's? 8-7, and most of the wins came early in his career with Bill Cowher players in their prime. Why is Harbaugh much better here?

- - - Updated - - -

And what's wrong with posting from You tube? I think most people are smart enough to know that's not my production. DUH. You do know how to find a post from youtube without the post link, or maybe you don't.

If Harbaugh were your coach, and in the past five years you went, miss playoffs, miss playoffs, miss playoffs, one and done, one and done, you would be calling for his ass to be fired, especially when you were seeded number one, you had the number one scoring offense, and number four defense, and you just watched the only real offensive threat the Titans had, when beating the Pats.. If you wouldn’t be saying the exact same things that you’re saying now about Tomlin, then you just have a pathological hatred for Tomlin and anything you say about him really holds no credibility here.

Stop crying and name calling and try to answer my questions. Over the years, who has had more talent, the Steelers or the Ravens? Well...

Now tell me why Harbaugh has a much better playoff records.

Did any famous X Ravens question their head coach? Well you do know Steeler legends and their monitory owner question Tomlin? WHY?

I credit Harbaugh for figuring out how to use Jackson best. He won coach year once, perhaps twice, which is something the under achieve Tomlin will never do.

You can not change the facts, I'm just presenting them.

I'm not crying. I'm laughing at you.

There's a big difference.

I think the talent level of both teams has been very even.

How is this for facts since they have both become head coaches?

Since Tomlin and Harbaugh have become head coaches, Tomlin has won 6 division championships....Harbaugh 4

Tomlin's record against Harbaugh in the playoffs: 2-1

Number of Conference Championships: Tomlin 2...…..Harbaugh 1

Now tell me something. Why does Harbaugh have a losing record against Tomin in the playoffs?

Who gives a shit what a disgruntled ex-Steelers asshole player says about the coach?

Harbaugh didn't figure out how to use Lamar Jackson, he revolutionized the game according to many...…..and then went one-and-done in the playoffs this year with 12 Pro Bowls players on the roster, including the NFL MVP. Please explain Harbaugh's greatness this year. (Hint: You crush Tomlin for losing in the playoffs with great talent)

Just the facts....you know....the facts that you omitted from your posts. Now deal with these facts and answer the questions.

This year is not during the past several. I think the Steelers have had more talented and underacheived in comparison to the Ravens.

No you did not reply to my questions in the format that it was asked. Once again.

1 ) Over the years who has had the better talent the Ravens or Steelers? It's one to the other Teegre ( By the way are you from the DR? )

2 ) What is Harbaugh's playoff record? That would be 10-7, with a .588 winning percentage. Not bad. Tomlin's? 8-7, and most of the wins came early in his career with Bill Cowher players in their prime. Why is Harbaugh much better here? Do tell Teegre?

- - - Updated - - -

And what's wrong with posting from You tube? I think most people are smart enough to know a You Tube post is not my production. DUH. You do know how to find a post from youtube without the post link, or maybe you don't.

You've been caught out directly at least twice by another poster copying and pasting someone else's post and claiming it as your own.

I suspect if you've done it before, you're doing it a bunch.

Format...

1. That’s debatable. Since you like to talk about inheriting talent, Harbaugh was gifted Ed Reed, Mr. Ed, and the Murderer... which is some pretty darn good talent. How many playoff wins has he had since “Brian Billick’s players” retired...???

2. You talked about the past 6 or 7 seasons/playoffs. Now, suddenly, you want to talk about earlier seasons. Let’s just cut to the chase, because you keep altering the time frame to suit your mantra:

In the 2012 season, the Ravens were 4-0 in the playoffs... and the Steelers didn’t even make the playoffs.

Game.
    Set.
    Match.
    Fire Tomlin!!!

(What/where is DR???)

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Cut to the chase who has a better playoff record, Cowher or Tomlin? Pretty clear. Cowher. End of conversation in that department.
    12-9 with 4 AFCC losses to 8-7 with two less years of being a HC is end of conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    If Harbaugh were your coach, and in the past five years you went, miss playoffs, miss playoffs, miss playoffs, one and done, one and done, you would be calling for his ass to be fired, especially when you were seeded number one, you had the number one scoring offense, and number four defense, and you just watched the only real offensive threat the Titans had, when beating the Pats.. If you wouldn’t be saying the exact same things that you’re saying now about Tomlin, then you just have a pathological hatred for Tomlin and anything you say about him really holds no credibility here.
    Nailed it!!!

If Tomlin retires, I’d sign Harbaugh in a millisecond. Likewise, if Harbaugh retires, the Ravens would sign Tomlin in a millisecond. To try and state that one is “obviously” better than the other...

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

2010 was the last time the Steelers were AFC champions, in case anyone is bad at math that is 10 years. The Standard is the Standard ....mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    2010 was the last time the Steelers were AFC champions, in case anyone is bad at math that is 10 years. The Standard is the Standard ....mediocre
    That was predictable.

Last time the Chiefs were AFC Champs was 1969. In case anyone is bad at math that’s 50 years.